Start by marking “Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey” as Want to Read:
Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey

Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey

In the tradition of Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Mists of Avalon," Ellen Evert Hopman weaves Druid history and spirituality into an engaging love story. This Bardic teaching tale is set in a fictional third-century Ireland when Christianity is sweeping across the Celtic Isles. During this time of crisis, love blooms between Ethne, a Druid healer, and her patient, a Fennid warr ...more
Published February 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Priestess of the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Priestess of the Forest

Tommy /|\
Dec 10, 2010 Tommy /|\ rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, detailing the story of a healer thrust into the political games played between the Druids and the Christian priests with the throne of the kingdom as its playing surface. Hopman writes an excellent tale that weaves around the intricacies and beauty of what the life of a Druid may have been like during the initial "invasion" of the Christian beliefs into the islands of Britain. The detail placed into the various ritualized aspects of the cycles of Life is a superb basis upon wh ...more
Awallens
May 06, 2009 Awallens rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I put off reading this book for so long. If you're into Goddess worship at all, or just want to learn of the life of the Druids, grab this jewel of a book. I know i'll return to it again and again.
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
This is probably between a 3 star and 4 star. For those with no interest in pre-Christian Celtic history it probably would not be enough story to hold interest. I found it interesting to read about a time with little recorded history and much of it passed down in Celtic lore. I hesitate to tag a book romance and didn't, but it is a love story between a Druid forest woman who is a healer and the warrior she saves. But more than that, it is the story of a woman willing to give up her love and her ...more
Loraine
Apr 19, 2016 Loraine rated it liked it
Ellen Evert Hopman is a practicing Druid, a Reconstructed Druid, as she calls herself. She wrote Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey in the manner of a bardic teaching tale, so every so often she can sound a bit pedantic, but . . . oh well! Her exploration of first contact of Celtic pagans with Roman Christians is first rate. (Lucre, bribery, trickery are used by the monks, so fanatical in their efforts to overpower the Druidic worship of the stars, the moon, and the natural world.) She exp ...more
Bonnie Lambourn
May 10, 2014 Bonnie Lambourn rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. A powerful main woman character, and the essence of historical details all throughout, Hopman creates a world that is easy to step in and believe. I feel as if I knew they people, and they represented a world view that showed how men and women could live equally respected.
I recommend this book for a good read on many levels - herbal lore, romance, history, local color... and it is a great way for men and women to Intention a better world in alignment with
Natalie Wright
May 29, 2011 Natalie Wright rated it liked it
I got this book for research for my own WIP with an Irish/Celtic backstory. It was an interesting book but less story than description of the history and culture of the Druids (or at least what some people think was the Druidic way of life). If you are interested in pre-Christian Celtic life, then I recommend this book. If not, then pass; the story just is not enough to hold much interest.
Kerry
Feb 23, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The central characters are fantastic. The story draws you in and the whole tale is enriched with knowledge of herbal healing and druidic traditions and beliefs that can be taken on board for personal and spiritual growth. Anyone with even a remote interest in Celtic Druidic history must read this book.
Mark Albright
Jul 14, 2015 Mark Albright rated it it was amazing
OH my gods and goddesses!
I really loved the world Ellen Evert Hopman created. I felt like I was there first hand. While the relationship between Ethne and Ruadh created a vehicle to move the story along, the details within and surrounding the story motivated me to keep reading.
Christina
May 08, 2014 Christina rated it it was ok
It was an OK read. I found myself just sort of skimming through parts in the last third of the book. The story becomes a bit vague, rushed, jumbled from Ethne's pregnancy on.
Still, interesting story overall , involving the Druid culture .
Calantirniel
Jan 28, 2016 Calantirniel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story, and thought it was a good way to access a deeper knowing of Pre-Christian Celtic culture that could have happened.
Amy
Sep 03, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
This was very interesting, but the parts that didn't involve Ethne and Ruadh, I skimmed. I can't put this on my "books I've read" list because I really didn't.
Theresa Parker
Jun 11, 2015 Theresa Parker rated it it was amazing
i love this book! the story, the encyclopedia, the knowledge...I feel so much wiser now that I read it!
Rtdownward
Apr 27, 2010 Rtdownward rated it it was amazing
Very captivating story. Well written.
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
It was a pleasant read. I seemingly learned something about druids, and am even now aware that there are groups still practicing it, which is, of course, why someone gifted me this book.
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2014
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Silvia
Silvia rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Liz Wigglesworth
Liz Wigglesworth rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Felicity
Felicity rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Faerie
Faerie rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2015
Deanna Edwards
Deanna Edwards rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
Ronda Mohr
Ronda Mohr rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Sue Davies
Sue Davies rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Gary Colcombe
Gary Colcombe rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2010
Natrina Lawson
Natrina Lawson rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2010
  • Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature
  • Exploring the World of the Druids
  • Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain
  • The Druid Magic Handbook: Ritual Magic Rooted in the Living Earth
  • King Arthur and the Goddess of the Land: The Divine Feminine in the Mabinogion
  • The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • Crafting the Body Divine: Ritual, Movement, and Body Art
  • Maiden, Mother, Crone: The Myth & Reality of the Triple Goddess
  • Book of Pagan Prayer
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • Divine Magic: The Seven Sacred Secrets of Manifestation
  • Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home
  • Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children
Ellen Evert Hopman is a Master Herbalist and lay Homeopath who holds an
M.Ed. in Mental Health Counseling. She is a certified writing instructor
through Amherst Writers and Artists. She is co-chief
of the Whiteoak Druid Order (Ord na Darach Gile) and was Vice President of
The Henge Of Keltria, an international Druid Fellowship, for nine years. She
is the
founder of the Whiteoak internet mailing list, a
More about Ellen Evert Hopman...