Start by marking “Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang” as Want to Read:
Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang

Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,394 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Poor Jacob Two-Two. Not only must he say everything twice just to be heard over his four brothers and sisters, but he finds himself the prisoner of the dreaded Hooded Fang. What had he done to deserve such a punishment? The worst crime of all--insulting a grown-up. Although he's small, Jacob is not helpless, especially when The Infamous Two come to his aid.
Published September 2nd 2003 by Tundra Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1975)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Book of Negroes by Lawrence HillLife of Pi by Yann MartelThe English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
Canadian Fiction
130th out of 684 books — 498 voters
The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackThe Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonFive Children and It by E. NesbitMillions of Cats by Wanda GágThe Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
251st out of 1,122 books — 793 voters

More lists with this book...

K.D. Absolutely
Aug 15, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: childrens
We all grew up with television, right? I still remember when I was a 5-y/o toddler and I was sitting on the floor right in front of our black-and-white television. I was watching a belly dancer and my parents and siblings were laughing because I was having a hard-on.

I also remember the many times that my mother asked us not to watch too close to the TV screen as the radiation it can damage our eyes. So, when I became a father, I said the same thing to my daughter. We all tend to tell to our chil
Sam
May 18, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing
I remember very clearly ordering and receiving this book through my primary school book club ... and to this day, this little book is one of my most treasured possessions ... granted it's well loved and a little worn around the edges - but so am I

as a kid I was completely enthralled by the story ... incensed at the injustice of the grown ups ... appalled at just how mean Master Fish and Mistress Fowl could be ... chuffed at Shapiro & O'Toole's bravado ... frightened (but only a little) of th
Jay
Mar 27, 2011 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book only because it's referenced all the time in the Baby-Sitter's Club Little Sister books.

Jacob Two-Two is the youngest child in his family. He has two brothers and two sisters, and due to being the smallest and youngest, he says everything twice just so he can be heard. I hear ya', Jacob! Anyway, his double talking lands him in what he perceives as trouble. Little does he know the greengrocer was just pulling his leg. But Jacob, having run out before he could learn otherwise, so
Tilia
Feb 02, 2014 Tilia rated it really liked it
I just reread this after an interlude of perhaps thirty-five years. It's a charming, witty story of a Jacob, who is the youngest in his large family and thus has to say everything twice to be heard. Eventually this annoying and misunderstood habit gets him in trouble with a nasty grocer, and he ends up on a prison island for rude children. (Hey--it could happen.) The head baddie on the island is, of course, the Hooded Fang. Who do you think wins out eventually?

I enjoyed this as a kid, but a lot
Madi
Nov 27, 2014 Madi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok...how to review this?
So, I watched the movie first (gasps of horror), and thought it was TERRIBLE. Then I saw there was a book that was only about 80 pages, and I thought it would be funny to read it. Maybe the book is better right? Well, it was better, but still not very good. Probably because this would have been my reading level about 5 years ago. The story wasn't very deep, and they didn't give many details, so I was a little confused at some points. Younger kids probably wouldn't care t
Penny McGill
Apr 01, 2013 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
We loved to read this book out loud to the girls and once, a few years back, Christopher Plummer came to Stratford and read this book (with the illustrations projected on to a screen behind him) to support a charity that I've forgotten. I bought tickets to take my mother and the girls. My mother fell asleep, my oldest daughter squirmed but our youngest daughter - probably 4 or 5 at the time - loved it. She loved it and laughed louder than most of the people in the audience. I remember that event ...more
Julie
Sep 19, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacob Two Two was a book that stuck with me from child hood. It gave me my earliest introduction - and fascination with - super heroes/secret heroes via the Intrepid Shapiro and the Fearless O'Toole. I don't know how many times I heard it read aloud or read it myself as a child, but it was definitely more than once! Jacob's perception of the world is so honest that concepts from the book make for repeatable jokes with one's own children. For example, the whole concept of yesterday,today and ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 01, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
A strange but likeable and well-written children's book, also it's really nostalgic, I remember reading this in the first grade and I really enjoyed its creative storytelling and funny illustrations.
Troy Parfitt
Oct 11, 2016 Troy Parfitt rated it it was amazing
Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang a story about a little boy who is two plus two plus two years old. He got his name from saying everything twice, which he has to do because he’s the youngest in the family and if he doesn’t nobody will hear him. One day Jacob goes on an adventure, although not the type he’d imagined. He finds himself locked away in a prison for children, one run by the ostensibly dreadful Hooded Fang and, as Jacob might say, has to find a way out; has to find a way out. This ...more
Phil
Oct 13, 2016 Phil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I read this as a kid, and just read it again to my 5YO. He wasn't sure about it at first, but he really wanted to know what would happen next. Its wonderfully written and paced; a great book for kids (and adults).
Sarah - Six Blue Marbles
Nov 17, 2013 Sarah - Six Blue Marbles rated it really liked it
I used to love watching the television show for Jacob-Two-Two so I'm happy this book was on the syllabus for Children's Literature. It's funny though, that a book so highly redeemed as Canadian even to have a television show based on the book set in Canada, when in reality the book is set in England.
This can be explained though. Mordecai Richler was a very famous Canadian author who moved between England and Canada in his life. Most of his children (who are named after characters in the book) no
Michelle
Aug 06, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit right from the start, I'm totally biased when it comes to this children's novel. I remember days long passed when we had the audio version of this book (on tape cassettes), and we would sit in front of the tape player, me, my sister, and my dad, and listen to this book over and over again. Reading this book again, as an adult, brought back all of those fond memories, and for that reason, it is hard to say whether I love this story for what it is, or for what it reminds me of.

But, with
LobsterQuadrille
Sep 16, 2015 LobsterQuadrille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to LobsterQuadrille by: my mom
This is a strange little book, taking place in a sort of goofily nightmarish wonderland where young Jacob Two-Two(so called for his habit of saying everything twice)ends up in a bizarre prison for disrespectful and unruly children. However, I thought this was a very clever and funny book, and well worth reading. This passage from the book sums up the charming weirdness better than I ever could:

"I do hope that you've finished every last delicious drop of your good-night glass of curdled wolveri
Jacob O'connor
Jan 12, 2015 Jacob O'connor rated it really liked it
I inherited my love of reading from my mother. I would marvel at her bookshelves, and I could always find her at the end of the couch, unsweetened ice tea in hand, nose in her latest paperback. Mom would sometimes take me to the library, which beat Disney World any day. I could get lost in that place, thumbing through books and exploring shelves.

I recall the afternoon she brought Jacob Two-Two home for me. I was stoked that the main character had my name. The book seemed gigantic, and the vocab
NightAuditMan
Apr 28, 2010 NightAuditMan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I was shifting around boxes in my basement and case accross one that I had packed years ago when I had moved from my childhood home. In it was this book along with several others. I remember recieving the book from the book club flyer that I had in public school.

To my reccolection I had loved the book dearly. Obviously enough to have kept it on my shelf all those years. Probably with the intention, in those days, of keeping it for my children.

I have children now so I gave it a quick on
Crystal B
Apr 15, 2014 Crystal B rated it it was amazing
We read Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang as a grade 1/2 class and we thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.
Jacob Two Two is a loveable character who says everything two times because no one ever listens to him the first time! We could relate to this! He is put in the Children's Prison for saying everything two times. It is run by the dreaded Hooded Fang. As the story develops, Jacob Two Two he takes matters into his own hands, and saves the day, making friends with the villain and discoverin
C.
Jul 09, 2013 C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child in school, I heard "Jacob Two-Two Meets The Hooded Fang" humorously mentioned but knew nothing about it. I also have vague awareness of Mordecai Richler and was surprised to find him author of this whimsical character. I discovered it was a series, by him, after picking up "Jacob Two-Two & The Dinosaur" in a thrift store. Preferring to observe the timeline of story development, I soon found this prequel at another sale and dug in.

This embodies a definite stretch of imagination, pe
Erin
Feb 26, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elementary school teachers and kids who have to repeat themselves to get adults to listen to them
This was my absolute favorite movie when I was a child and no one in my adult life has ever heard of it. Apparently the movie is only sold in California and Maryland. My college roommate found the movie and the book for me and gave it as a gift one Christmas. I have read the book and shown the movie to my students (first and second grade)for the last eight years. They love the book! Even though the movie has a lot of 70's style clothing and cheap costumes, they get so involved with the story ...more
Brad Wojak
Mar 01, 2015 Brad Wojak rated it it was amazing
I have vivid memories of this book from my childhood. Trembling in terror as Jacob is hauled away by Master Fish and Mistress Fowl. Cheering when Shapiro and O'Toole send out the Child Power signal...

This past week, I read this to my daughter and I was thrilled that it captured her imagination. So glad that it held up after all these years! This is an excellent book to share with the young ones in your life. A Canadian Classic!

I have to encourage you to track down a copy with the original illus
kate
Feb 15, 2010 kate rated it really liked it
I cannot believe how many people I know have never heard of this book. It is canadian content (but don't let that discourage you).

The tale of Jacob, youngest in his family and no one listens to him so he has to say everything twice, the big bogeyman badguy wrestler warden and a prison for kids on a murky island plus chocolate bars as money (of course, it's a prison for kids) - it's funny and imaginative.

Proof: I still own it, I still remember it and I still love it.

Polly
A very fine book, which I remember very well from childhood. As a child, I really wasn't sure where the dream began and ended, and I think I prefer it that way. I normally can't stand books in which cool adventures turn out to be dreams, although this would be a pretty horrible adventure if true, which is maybe why I don't mind!
Lisa
Jul 24, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I am 33, and still remember this book fondly from elementary school. I think that qualifies it for a 5. I didn't realize there was a serious, I don't think I ever read the rest of them. I am pushing for my ridiculous literate 7 year old niece to read it, not sure if she is ready - have to check the age on this book.
Softweargirl
Mar 16, 2007 Softweargirl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children
This has to be one of the most amazing children's books of all time, it is a Canadian author and when I was in my 20's I fell upon a Shakespeare in the Park crew performing it down at Prince's Island in Calgary, Canada, if you can get your hands on it read it, it's fun for kids and adults.

Mordecau has an amazing imagination!
Enikő
Apr 26, 2013 Enikő rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up this morning at the Saint Vincent-de-Paul for a dollar, out of pure nostalgia. I remember watching the movie in class when I was in elementary school. I don't think I knew that it was written by none other than Mordecai Richler.

It was a quick, enjoyable read. Can't wait to share it with the kids! :o)
Mazohyst
I remember sitting on the floor of my grade two classroom floor, with 20 other kids, and my favourite elementary school teacher sitting on her chair, reading this book. Although I don't remember exactly what happened, I remember enough to know that I liked it, and to remember what the cover looked like exactly. Oh the memories of my childhood.
Anne Holly
Dec 15, 2012 Anne Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a particular fan of the Jacob Two-Two books as a child, but I must say I enjoyed it as an adult reading it to my son. I don't think Kiddo was in love with it, but I wonder if he'll enjoy it more if he ever reads it to his own kids. The writing has some wit, and it was fun for reading aloud. I think we'll read Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur soon.
Claire
Very cute story, Jacob Two-Two is the smallest in his family- to be heard he must say everything twice. This works at home, but the annoying habit can cause problems on Jacob's first errand that he is proudly and timidly running for his dad.
Hilarious situations, ridiculous villains and grand opportunity for Jacob to show his grit and save the day.
Nick
Apr 03, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Cute and quaint. A young English boy who is teased by adults has a dream difficult to conceive of having on acid and meets the monstrous Hooded-Fang in person. Shades of Alice in Wonderland, Ken Kesey and a 70s children's TV show. A bit too simple and plot-holey for me now, but I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid.
Tyrannosaurus regina
It's had to express just what a classic of Canadian children's lit this is. It doesn't matter how old I am, I still pick it up and read it just for the sheer joy of it, especially when I forget just how enjoyable children find scary things sometimes.
Katya Epstein
Nov 06, 2015 Katya Epstein rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I dunno, I just don't think I get Richler's sense of humour. Many people told me Barney's Version is his funniest book, but I found it depressing. This book I found beyond depressing. But my eight-year-old daughter seemed to enjoy it?
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Secret World of Og
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • The Golem
  • The King of the Golden River
  • La Guerre des Boutons
  • Go Jump in the Pool! (MacDonald Hall, #2)
  • A Handful of Time
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Jonathan Cleaned Up — Then He Heard a Sound: Or Blackberry Subway Jam
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Owls in the Family
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Complete Nonsense of Edward Lear
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • Adam and Eve and Pinch-Me
  • The Half-a-Moon Inn
  • Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen
Mordecai Richler was a Canadian author, screenwriter and essayist.

His best known works are The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz (1959) and Barney's Version (1997); his 1989 novel Solomon Gursky Was Here was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 1990. He was also well known for the Jacob Two-Two children's stories. .

The son of a Jewish scrap yard dealer, Richler was born in 1931 and raised on St.
More about Mordecai Richler...