Start by marking “The Rose Legacy (Diamond of the Rockies, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rose Legacy (Diamond of the Rockies, #1)

The Rose Legacy (Diamond of the Rockies #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,612 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Driven by hope and vengeance, Carina Maria DiGratia leaves her idyllic home in Sonoma, California, for a new life in the mining town of Crystal, Colorado. Though the town has a rough element, Carina is determined that it is the place her dreams will come true. Early on, two men vie for her trust, but neither is what he seems. Will Carina discern the truth in time to preven ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose Legacy

Sarita
Jan 14, 2015 Sarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read from Kristen Heitzmann. Historical fiction is not my favourite genre, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was full of action, suspense, intrigue and also compassion for the characters.

The first 30% of the book was a slow start for me, but then the pace picked up and I wanted to see what will happen to everyone and the action and mystery just increased. Even the end of the book kept left you with "what will happen know?"

Forgiveness and surrender to God was the main theme
Staci
Mar 30, 2015 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
The Rose Legacy provides a good look at life in the wild west in the late 1800s. The characters in the book were realistic and showed growth. The main female character Carina has a lot of spunk and her reactions made me smile.

The pace of the book was a bit slow for me. What I enjoyed most about this novel is the feeling of having visited the mining town Crystal. The author did a great job of using period details to enhance the story and give the reader a solid picture of what life was like in th
Kelly
Jul 27, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
So, this is book #1 in a trilogy that I absolutely loved. I couldn't put it down and fell in love with the characters. I found myself thinking about them all the time! Carina is a hot blooded Italian and it is fun to watch her get into trouble. She is so full of fire and yet so fragile and broken at the same time. Quillans journey is a sad one in which I could never tell if I loved him or hated him...I couldn't believe the ending to this first book and rushed right out to get the second. I'd act ...more
Patty LeBlanc
Feb 20, 2011 Patty LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Diamond of the Rockies series. I was unaware that this book was actually published in the year 2000. It now has a new bright and beautiful cover that presents itself as more appealing to the current readers. I have read many Kristen Heitzmann books and loved every one of them. This one did not disappoint either. I found this book to be very enjoyable. It had so much action in it that I had a hard time putting it down. I love books that keep you guessing what’s going ...more
Naomi
Dec 08, 2010 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Took me a chapter or so to get into it, but once you're in, you can't put it down!!! And it's great cuz it's long (plus it has 2 following books in the series). I really like bonding with my characters, so I was glad for the length. Spunky heroine too!
Emma Jane
Aug 23, 2015 Emma Jane rated it it was ok
This book came to me through my grandma, after being passed to her by my great-aunt. I was tickled to be included in such an illustrious reading circle (since my grandma and aunt happen to be two of the greatest people ever), so even though I wouldn't otherwise have picked up this book, I happily dove in. And I've got to say, if it hadn't come from Grandma, I probably wouldn't have finished reading it.

I have no major qualms about this book. (Well, aside from the fact that the author's consiste
Carly
Dec 19, 2010 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a while since I read a historical fiction novel, so I was eager to read The Rose Legacy. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book or not, but I was not far into it when I realized I was loving it. I was a little surprised by Carina’s reasons for leaving her home for the unfamiliar town of Crystal City, Colorado. More surprising was the wild and dangerous lifestyle Carina was confronted with upon arriving in her new town. That very quickly grabbed my attention because I just had t ...more
Darlene Franklin
I3alex
Jan 27, 2014 I3alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
ADORED this book...probably one of the best books I've ever read! I was recommended it by my aunt, and I was determined to give it a try. Why not, right? But I hadn't gotten 20 pages in when I gave up. It was SO slow paced, and so descriptive, I couldn't focus! A few months later, I decided to try it again. GOOD THING...this time, I forced myself to keep going, and by chapter three I was hooked! Just force yourself to keep going, and you'll get the hang of the writing style soon enough. I adored ...more
Courtney Clark
Aug 23, 2012 Courtney Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I recall this glimpse of the west in all its ruggedness and wild beauty left an impression of me. Particularly, Carina and her feisty spirit, determined to succeed and find happiness. As with several of Kristen’s novels, a slight mysterious element is present, adding to the interest and appeal of the story (and its hero).
Misfit
Pretty slooooooooooooooooow start with not much happening until things got a bit too bible thumping for my tastes. I could have perservered further with some real storyline, but from looking at some of the reviews on Amazon that doesn't happen until half way through.
Georgianne
Dec 29, 2014 Georgianne rated it it was amazing
Although this started out slowly, after several chapters I was in hook, line and sinker! I couldn't help falling in love with Quillan and eventually Carina. Although I wanted to slap them both a few times. Can't wait to get into the rest of the series...
Jan
Aug 17, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the plot of this book. Great author!
Anne
Sep 09, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Favorite series from Kristen!
Jean
Aug 13, 2012 Jean rated it it was amazing
Love this author
Joan
Oct 22, 2016 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did; I think it was a Kindle freebie or cheapie. I don't generally read period fiction; but this one was well-written and well-paced, and its characters were fully-drawn, believable, and likable. I found myself really becoming involved in their lives, although some of the plot-twists seemed somewhat contrived. I didn't like the fact that it was obviously written to have an unsatisfying ending to lead the reader to buy the next book in the series. O ...more
Abigail
May 07, 2017 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Counting for "A Christian novel" in Challies 2017 Reading Challenge.]
Stephanie Dulac
May 31, 2017 Stephanie Dulac rated it it was amazing
Didn't Think I Would Enjoy This book As Much As I Did I Feel This series was a wonderful read and because of this book I bought all her books lol.... it was nice to read had its tragic moments and made you feel for the main lady but the story line was really good
Pam
Feb 26, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
The Rose Legacy is book one of the Diamond of the Rockies series by Kristen Heitzmann. It is set in Crystal, Colorado, a small mining town. It is small and rough.
Carina DiGratia has left her home in California to move to Crystal where she has purchased a house and hopes to find a job. Her wagon carries all she owns and is pulled by her faithful burro. As she makes the climb to Crystal, she thinks of all she has left and why. She has left a large Italian family that is very close and very protec
E.A. West
Jun 22, 2010 E.A. West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carina DiGratia is naïve, hot-tempered, and impulsive. The daughter of a respected Italian doctor who served a king, she’s used to getting her way, and it doesn’t take long to see she’d sheltered, spoiled, and ill-suited to life in a rough and tumble mining town.

Quillan Shepard is a freighter and the classic wounded hero. Nothing has come easy for him; life has battered him, his past is a shadowy mystery, and he has no interest in anything remotely romantic…unless you count his penchant for read
Ellie
Feb 27, 2017 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
This book was cheesey! But I loved it, don't let this review stop you from reading it cuz book 2 and 3 are way batter.
Beverly McCall
Mar 20, 2016 Beverly McCall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Rose Legacy, Kristen Heitzman introduces us to an irresistible female protagonist, Carina DiGratia. She is full of the zest of life and lives her life as honestly as she can. As the reader proceeds through this story, we develop a relationship with Carina, who faces many challenges and matures in her relationship with God. What endures the reader to Carina is her quest for forgiveness and a true acceptance of God as the guiding force. This is the major theme of this tale.
Heitzman did a
Margaret Chind
Jul 11, 2009 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Historical Fiction
Recommended to Margaret by: Bethany House
My introduction to Kristen Heitzmann was through her most recent contemporary romantic suspense novel The Edge of Recall and I loved it. When I found out that she also had previously written a series in my favorite genre of Christian Historical Fiction I added it to my TBR list. Then I discovered that Bethany House was going to re-release the series with beautiful new covers and I could not wait to get my hands on the series! After reading the first novel, I am glad that I did. Originally publis ...more
C.
I have read the Romantic Suspense 'stand-alone' books by this author,The Edge of Recall,Halos: A Novel,and Freefall which were all wonderful. I couldn't get enough of her writing skill,so decided to try her Christian Historical Romance. I read my library's PB version of the three books in this trilogy.

Mrs. Heitzmann has not disappointed me yet! Her skill amazes me.

This book and the whole trilogy,was almost painful to read,due to the heartbreaking life histories of the two main characters Quillen
Cynthia
Sep 05, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a piece of writing advice that's often repeated: think of the worst possible thing that could happen to your character. Then make it happen. This is part of the reason that Heitzmann's books leave me breathless.

This book caught me from the first pages, and held me with a tension-filled mood and a pervasive sense of loss--an almost supernatural loss. The lead character is irresistible even at her worst, because she's honest in a way that doesn't always serve her best interests.

The locatio
Veora
Dec 20, 2016 Veora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice romance story in the historical setting of the gold rush days in America. The challenges of the time are realistic, as I imagine the hardships would have been for miners and pioneers. The romance characters are not only struggling to survive, but have broken hearts that need mending. I really enjoyed the unexpected ending, and that puts reading book 2 in the series on my reading list.
Cafelilybookreviews
Apr 28, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it liked it

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres to read and I was very happy to review this book by Kristen Heitzmann.

I’ve read some of her other books that are more of a suspense genre, so I was interested to see what she would do with historical fiction / romance. In The Rose Legacy, Italian heiress Carina Maria DiGratia finds herself in search of a new life after suffering a broken heart and betrayal at the hands of her lifelong love, Flavio.

Leaving California for Crystal, Colorado, Carina
Grace
Oct 12, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The emotional depth in Heitzmann's writing is incredible! Her gift for telling an intriguing story is exceptional! Just trying to find words to describe my enthusiasm for this story is nearly impossible! I love Colorado and this story is set there surrounding mines where men are hunting for treasures such as gold and silver. Carina is full of plans for her life but when she arrives in Colorado things aren't what they seem. She falls prey to a deceptive person who takes advanta ...more
Kelly Dawson
At the start of this book, I didn't like the character of Carina. Sure, she'd had her heart broken, but she seemed spoilt and petulant and stupid. But she grew and changed throughout the book, the author has done a great job at showing this, and at the end, I could really relate to her and wanted it to all work out well for her.
I know this is the first book in the series, but the ending frustrated me - it didn't end in a HEA, or even a HFN, but instead, just a hopeful HEA-one-day-in-the-future.
Jeni Enjaian
I remember absolutely loving this book (and the entire series) the first time I read it. A second time through has assured me that I was not mistaken. In fact, I may go so far as to say that this series is one of my favorite series, ever.

Heitzmann creates believable, flawed, and extremely frustrating characters that have to handle rough situations. Heitzmann avoids the easy clichés that most other Christian authors indulge in. She portrays the nitty gritty without a single gratuitous word. (Ther
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 19, 2015 01:58PM
  • Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)
  • A Veiled Reflection (Westward Chronicles, #3)
  • The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles, #2)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • Promise Me Tomorrow (Rocky Mountain Memories, #4)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • From a Distance (Timber Ridge Reflections, #1)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
Kristen Heitzmann is the award winning author of contemporary romantic suspense, psychological suspense, and historical series. An artist and musician, she'll also be found hiking the Rocky Mountain trails.
More about Kristen Heitzmann...

Diamond of the Rockies (3 books)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • The Tender Vine (The Diamond of the Rockies #3)

“God’s love was like the sunrise, chasing back the dark and piercing the heart with joy.” 3 likes
“the eye is the window to the soul, and from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, why can’t we all be blind and dumb?” 3 likes