Start by marking “Les gagnants” as Want to Read:
Les gagnants

Les gagnants

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  39 reviews
«Los premios» fue la tercera novela escrita por Julio Cortázar y la primera en ser aceptada por un editor para su publicación. Apareció en 1960 cuando el autor ya gozaba de una sólida reputación como narrador gracias a tres colecciones de cuentos. Múltiples y variadas han sido las interpretaciones que la crítica ha propuesto sobre esta novela. Todas ellas, por su diversida ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 531 pages
Published February 1st 1982 by Gallimard (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Les gagnants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les gagnants

Szplug
The Winners' epigraph asks the question What is an author to do with ordinary people? The hope is to hold the reader's interest with extraordinary or compelling story lines; but if they are to achieve any measure of verisimilitude then these tales must be populated with characters who are recognizably - and mundanely - human. Cortázar has answered this query by plucking representative types from across the strata of late fifties Argentine society and dropping them amidst an updated and mysteriou ...more
sevda
започнах тази книга преди около 2 години, след като бях изчела всичко на Кортасар, до което мога да се докопам. истината е, че изобщо не ми хареса и едва издържах до 20-тата страница... забутах някъде книгата и единственото, което си спомнях от нея е убеждението, че Кортасар може и трябва да пише само кратки разкази.
приятелят ми обаче ми я подари, защото му бях казвала колко много обичам Кортасар, и аз си помислих, че трябва да й дам втори шанс. този път книгата ме погълна още от самото начало.
Stephan
It took me awhile to enjoy Cortazar's writing. But once I did, it was brilliant. The story understands it's a story. And his sentences and dialog sometimes allow gaps to be left as words can do. He'll describe things and then also say things the vague way we've come to understand them spoken. His writing is almost like a Godard film, where he would intentionally add messy edits that reminded you that it's a movie.

I didn't like how many characters there were at first. And they aren't introduced
Patricja
es la primera vez que me quedo hasta las 6 a.m. leyendo
Inesperado, como espero de cada pieza cortaziana
Felipe Salazar
Interesante, la dinámica del misterio y el encierro siempre son atractivas, y si le sumamos buenos personajes, relaciones humanas en toda su complejidad y contradicción, una sutil crítica social, el resultado es una novela inesperadamente adictiva, algo diferente a las otras de Cortázar por ser aparentemente más "light", pero es sólo la apariencia. Siempre el trasfondo son los vínculos, las dinámicas que se dan entre las personas, con sus miserias y sus virtudes, de forma más o menos explícita. ...more
Nathan
The Brussels-born Argentine Julio Cortázar (I think his parents were diplomats or something) is one of my favorite authors, although before this I had only read his short stories, and only in Spanish. I wanted to take a stab at one of his novels after reading two Roberto Bolano novels, who counted him as an influence, and whose style and voice is evident in the work of Bolano. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like not many English language readers know his work, although he wrote the short story "B ...more
Andrew
Hopscotch is a favorite of mine. It's dreamlike, funny, and moving by turns, and it's all cut-up and Bohemian and shit. I guess that sets the bar pretty high.

We get glimpses of Cortázar's later work in this early volume. Especially in the sections that begin with letters rather than numbers. My, those are gorgeous, meditative things. But it doesn't really satisfy as a novel. It tries to generate a sense of alienation and absurdity, but it's not written with enough force to be convincing in the w
Diana
Un crucero insólito de 3 días que parecía duraría hasta el infinito.
Si a Cortázar le sirvió para “… alzar una especie de biombo que me aislara lo más posible de la afabilidad que aquejaba a los pasajeros de tercera clase del Claude Bernard (ida) y del Conte Grande (vuelta)”, a mí me sirvió para mascarar esperas en consultorios y miradas indiscretas en los viajes. Pasamos el verano juntos y casi junto con el verano, se terminó.

En español.
Speranza
The one-star rating is not related to the quality of the novel as such; I guess it is a good piece of literature if most people say so. I am, however, blinded by the deep dislike I developed for this book and its characters. I felt detached from the story, the conversations felt forced and unnatural and every so often I found myself thinking: 'Yeah right!'.
Agustina Fernández Olivieri
«Los Premios» es la primera novela publicada de Julio Cortázar, en ella narra la historia de un grupo de hombres y de mujeres quienes representan a la sociedad porteña de la época y ganan en la lotería un pasaje para un crucero sin destino conocido.

Una vez a bordo los pasajeros van a tener que lidiar con un enigmático suceso que está dado por el hecho de no poder ingresar en la popa, que dará lugar a diferentes reacciones en los distintos personajes.

Es una novela muy interesante y entretenida
Reham Kareem
استطيع اختصار الـ 470 بيج بكلمه واحده
(مُمِلـــَهَ)
Marie
It was a bit engaging and humorous at the beginning , but for some reason I was hoping it would maintain that same vein during the whole thing and it didn't. I couldn't possibly think of any more useless characters than Felipe and Raúl.

Well, this goes to show that the second you like an author, you don't have to love each work of theirs with the same passion, an unquestionable support which is near to fanatism.

I think it went on for too long. Perhaps Cortázar wasn't that much of a good novelist
И~N
Възхитителен.
Това е първата дума, която се появява в мен, щом си спомня за тази книга. Освен че ме плени и не ме остави да я пусна, книгата (за пръв път) ме накара, след като я прочетох, да потърся критика, за да разбера повече за автора (както и да забележа, че на испански името му е изписано с ударение - Cortázar, което означава, че на български трябва да се чете КортАсар), пък и да видя малко разсъждения по прочетеното. Това само засили удоволствието.
Става въпрос за някаква лотария, която на
David
It took me a while to figure out where this book was taking me, similar to the plight of the passengers on this mysterious voyage. I even had trouble discerning the genre, which in the end doesn’t really matter just as long as you arrive somewhere different from where you began.

At times a character study, a mystery, a series of existential musings, a political satire, a metaphysical allegory, an examination of lurid sexual desire. I was initially put off by the sequential introduction of all the
Donato
[NOTE: Italian translation. Rating: 3.5 stars]

I've always felt that the first sentence of a book was the key to the rest of the book. We don't necessarily know how to decipher that sentence at first, but at the end, turning back, we can see... And with the help of the author, it can be even easier.

Here we start with "La marchesa uscì alle cinque, -- pensò Carlos López. -- Dove diavolo l'ho letto?" (My translation: The marquise left at 5 -- thought Carlos López. -- Where the devil did I read tha
Nargiz Huseynova - Alizade
When I bought this book I did not really expect it to be that brilliant. Cortázar is one of the "golden trio" of Latin American literature: Cortázar - Borjez - Markez. This book is a perfect combination of deep philosophy and constantly evolving actions. I read in 10 days, and you do have to be patient with the first 20-30 pages, but after that it feels like a roller coaster. The way character evolve and surprise the reader, the relationships that are created, the common factors in completely di ...more
Sebastian Uribe
Una novela con muchas de las características que tendrán las obras posteriores de Cortázar. Personajes que van mutando sentimentalmente durante toda la trama, que al final no es la que termina empujando a seguir leyendo sino la forma de plasmar el absurdo en un escenario tan poca veces tocado en la literatura latinoamericana como un barco. Muchas escenas que recuerdan a Rayuela, no es lo mejor que haya leído del monstruo argentino pero sí cumple con su cometido.
wigwam
7/19 - gave up 100 pages in, skipped to the end, but that was boring too, lame book

7/17 - started it last night in a crowded line for a movie at a crowded movie theater. kinda hard to make real impressions since i was in a mild brainboil social-anxiety/agoraphobia meltdown, but the promising premise is seeming to suffer from a fit of the Who Are These Characters which i kinda dont care about yet, let some interesting shit happen and then we can get to that - the bloat of the book mixed with this
Sayuri
"—Nada hace suponer que no llegaremos.
—Nada. Pero es un poco como la muerte. Nada hace suponer que no moriremos, y sin embargo..."
Sue Davis
Todd Dills
Published in 1960, a few years before Cortazar's Hopscotch blew open the Latin American literary world, this book is a great read, if the NYRB edition was long on typos. Cortazar proved himself here a master of character -- the crew of "winners" of the prize of a sea cruise here are what keep you reading, more than anything, but it's not all that simple. I recommend. Now get at it. (Thanks, Toby.)
Jesse
it seems a mock tragedy of sorts. everyone on the ship loses all perspective and rushes to fill in all the details of their new lives. this apparently contagious schizophrenia makes the tragedy possible, as everyone dutifully does what their new roles require.

only when things end up badly does one of the characters remark to herself that she's only known these people for two days.
Igor
Sin duda, un ejercicio de preparación, la exploración de nuevas técnicas narrativas. En esta novela, me parece, se perfilan los primeros contornos de la literatura cortazariana. Hay una continuidad entre el flujo discursivo de este texto y, por ejemplo, Rayuela. Indispensable su lectura si es que uno quiere entender de dónde viene Cortázar.
Екатерина
Жалко че не е посочен преводачът на това издание. Аз имам изданието на "Христо Г.Данов" от 1981 г с чудесния превод на Мария Пачкова.
Наистина е прелюдия към "Игра на дама" - която е безспорния шедьовър на Кортасар.
Andrey
Cortazar never tells a story directly, but he dances around, weaving an intricate web of words, images, allusions - what later crystallizes into a coherent story.

Jumping-around Jazz-like narrative.
Tatiana
Adding this book to the list of my favorites. Beautifully written engaging story, well-developed characters. It is truly a timeless piece of writing. No wonder Bolano was such a huge Cortazar fan.
Petja
Бъбривостта на Кортасар ми действа като шапка от непоносимо тежка сметана. Най-доброто в книгата са пасажите в курсив.
Estefanía
Si lo que se evita son finales conformistas, entonces el autor a leer es Cortazar, es el adelanto de Rayuela y la nota del autor al finalizar el libro es... tierna
بثينة العيسى

أعتقد بأن جانبا كبيرا من جمالية العمل قد فقد بالترجمة، ولكنه بأي حال عالم مكتظ، واقعي وسحري وأرجنتيني جداً.

لأصحاب النفس الطويل، فقط!
Paulina
one of my favorite books by Cortazar. The story develops around a trip by boat. It is a story full of emotions and unexpected stories.
NYRB Classics: The Winners, by Julio Cortázar 1 9 Oct 30, 2013 10:40PM
  • The Museum of Eterna's Novel (The First Good Novel)
  • Adán Buenosayres
  • El juguete rabioso
  • How I Became a Nun
  • Brodie's Report
  • The Green House
  • Christopher Unborn (Picador Books)
  • Three Trapped Tigers
  • Boquitas pintadas
  • Respiración artificial
  • My Two Worlds
  • Sobre héroes y tumbas
  • Senselessness
  • Slow Homecoming
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.
More about Julio Cortázar...
Hopscotch Bestiario Cronopios and Famas Blow-Up and Other Stories Todos los fuegos el fuego