Start by marking “The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making
Preview

The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Americans are faced with a bewildering array of choices. In this lively introduction to psychological research on how people make decisions, Scott Plous focuses on the social aspects of decision making and includes everyday examples from medicine, law, business, education, and nuclear arms control, among other areas. Intended for nonspecialists, this book highlights experi ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages

To ask other readers questions about The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making

Trevor
Let’s say you have been reading some of my recent reviews of Blink, Made to Stick and The Wisdom of Crowds and you’ve thought, “Were there but world enough and time…” Well, now there is. For the trivial investment of 260 pages you will find this book presents much of the research that was fascinating in those books in a quick and lively style. This really is a great book and one which will leave me thinking for quite some time – just as the research detailed in it has fascinated the authors of t ...more
Doc Opp
Hands down the best introduction/overview of judgment and decision making that's out there. Although it was published in the 90's and so neglects a great deal of the more modern work, it gives a solid background of the classics, and prepares the reader for more advanced readings.

I do research in this area for a living, and often friends, family, or people who see my talks ask me what they can read to learn more about the topic - this is the one I always recommend. Accessible to all levels, but
Don
Very good information on decision-making biases and errors that everybody makes, citing many many social psychology studies and showing some very surprising results. Selective perception, cognitive dissonance, memory and hindsight biases, context dependence, anchoring biases, and more categories of decision-making troubles are covered in a not-too technical and lightly entertaining way.
E
Scientific rundown on decision making in lay terms

Making the right decisions is seldom easy. Situations change and choices confound. Faulty perceptions and biases can block clear thinking and undermine the ability to weigh alternatives rationally. As U.S. Supreme Court Justice Benjamin N. Cardozo explained 90 years ago, “We may try to see things as objectively as we please. Nonetheless, we can never see them with any eyes except our own.” This is the vexing paradox involved in making decisions:
Lee Follis
Solid introduction to judgment and decision making. Focuses a bit too much on the social aspects, but that's understandable because it makes it more accessible to a broader audience.
David
This is a review of behavioral economics/social psychology. It's chock-full of important concepts regarding how we make judgments. As impressive as we are in the role of a multi-functioning mobile field computer, we also subject to some serious flaws, biases, decision-traps, and fatal heuristics. Being objective has never been so hard. This book serves as a schematic trouble-shooter for decision making, and has important implications at the business, political, and personal levels. This is an ac ...more
CJ
Aug 20, 2007 CJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone on earth, except my enemies
A very enjoyable and brisk 250 pages, I think that over time, I will also find this book very useful. With each chapter, this book takes a related family of "decision making biases" and describes the often humorous experiments that revealed them, talks about whether they are thought to be a problem in real life, and suggests strategies to mitigate their effects. The book also does a great job of explaining the very important idea of heuristics.

I recommend it to everyone because of its quality a
Michael
Great book on thinking through decisions.
Jeffrey Backlin
A great work on the contextual, personal, social, and cognitive biases and factors in decision making. Great work!
Kandy Mia
how can i read :(
Asad
Jan 14, 2013 Asad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sience
I found this book enjoyable to read and easily accessible (I myself have no formal education in psychology, only knowledge gleaned from flicking through my sister's textbooks. Plous has structured the content well, and each chapter finishes with a concluding section giving practical advice to aid the reader in avoiding traps and biases in judgement and decision making discussed in the book. A useful book to anybody involved in making important decisions or who has a passing interest in the subje ...more
Jeff
There are many subconscious methods through which we arrive at the decisions we make. Understanding how these work, and bringing these methods to a conscious, analytical conceptual basis will improve our analysis of events and our ability to adapt to them.

The best section is the one on biases and heuristics, which describe how we use (frequently unexamined) mental shortcuts that often achieve sub-optimal results.

Highly recommended.
Rebecca
Oct 26, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rebecca by: Lori S.
Shelves: textbook
I know this makes me an even bigger nerd, but a fellow accounting doctoral student friend recommended this book to me when I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago, and it just arrived today! She said it was very readable and interesting, as well as a good scientific overview of JDM (judgment and decision making) research in psychology. I am definitely looking forward to reading it for helpful theories to integrate into my dissertation.
Jorge Llaguno Sañudo
A must read for everyone involved in the fields of psychology and marketing. It's narrative is clear, easy to follow and understand and provides an excelent framework for what nowadays cognitive science stands about perception, memory and the way we "think". Excelent for understanding leadership, team-building, risk handling, error making, etc.
Spazfungus
1. Take Robert Cialdini's Influence
2. Do a find "you" replace with "decision maker"
3. Remove humor
=90% of this book (even the same examples!)
For the other 10% read up Peter Checkland's Systems Thinking, Systems Practice
Luke Meehan
Good senior undergraduate level introduction to the field.
Slightly dated, but still reliable given notable degree of cross-over with 'Thinking Fast and Slow'.
Richard Mulholland
Really good book, it'll change your life... you just have to fight your way through. It reads more like a text book.

--- First read this in Oct '02
Jenna
Currently reading this and 2 textbooks and multiple other articles, notes, and proofs. Yey for college!!
zltg
Surprising, entertaining, and intriguing.
Joey
social psychology is fascinating
Lily
not too scienfitfic, not too simplified
Usman

Sounds fantastic.
Zhengguo Gu
a nice review.
tammy donnan
tammy donnan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Yuzheng Jia
Yuzheng Jia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Emily Low
Emily Low marked it as to-read
William V O'Sullivan
William V O'Sullivan marked it as to-read
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
  • Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment
  • The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers
  • Choices, Values, and Frames
  • Blind Spots: Why Smart People Do Dumb Things
  • The Cult of Personality: How Personality Tests Are Leading Us to Miseducate Our Children, Mismanage Our Companies, and Misunderstand Ourselves
  • Making Up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
  • The Belief Instinct: The Psychology of Souls, Destiny, and the Meaning of Life
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Suckers: How Alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All
  • A Mind of its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives
  • SuperSense: Why We Believe in the Unbelievable
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
From Wikipedia:

Scott Plous, Ph.D., is a Professor of Psychology at the Department of Psychology of Wesleyan University. He is also a Faculty Associate of the Tufts University Center for Animals and Public Policy.

His areas of research include the psychology of prejudice and discrimination, decision making, and the human use of animals and the environment.

In 2001, he published a study that evaluated
More about Scott Plous...
Understanding Prejudice and Discrimination