Start by marking “The Writing Workshop Note Book: Notes on Creating and Workshopping” as Want to Read:
The Writing Workshop Note Book: Notes on Creating and Workshopping

The Writing Workshop Note Book: Notes on Creating and Workshopping

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Writing Workshop Notebook is devoted to making, remaking, and remarking on writing. Ziegler's text is animated by a concern about how we relate to our own and others’ writing and by a desire to have a suitable effect on the reader’s experience with writing and critiquing. The book is supported by the author's experience from decades of leading writing workshops.
Published November 6th 2007 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Workshop Note Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Workshop Note Book

Stephanie Wytovich
Simply wonderful. One of the best How-To books I've read while being in graduate school.
Donna Cook
If you've never been in a writing workshop before, this book will help you know what to expect and how to get the most out of the experience. If you've already figured out the workshop gig, you'll know a lot of this stuff already. (It gave me plenty of flashbacks to my college days.) Similarly, his advice on writing in particular, while good, is really most useful for the beginner. Experienced writers will probably find it's more of a review. Even so, there are plenty of golden nuggets of advice ...more
Mimi
Mar 20, 2008 Mimi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult, 2008
I wish Mr. Ziegler had taught at Hollins when I went through Creative Writing there. This book is awesome! I wrote all over it. It has great exercises and just, in general, very good advice about how to be a better writer and reader. I'm sure that I will go into workshop better prepared to help my fellow writer after having read this book.
Michael
We read this in my "Teaching of Popular Fiction and Writing" graduate course at Seton Hill...and it's one of the students' favorites. TONS of good healthy advice! http://fiction.setonhill.edu
Ann
Good advice in this book.

There's the typical anti-genre (popular fiction) bias of a lot of literary creative writing teachers, but that doesn't take away the usefulness of the book.
Jan Kellis
Every now and then I need a little writing book fix, and this one did the trick. I'm all inspired again now, so I'll get back to work...
Rose
Alan Ziegler's "The Writing Workshop Note Book" was a very true to writing and personal read for me. I liked both how he focused on the writing process as well as the natural process of critiquing. It's never easy for a writer to have his or her work under the lens, but Ziegler gives some practical tips on how to look at the process of critiquing as a constructive measure, and the importance of having a writing group/panel.

The book is divided into a few parts: one that focuses on the process of
Jennifer Thompson
a wonderful way to refresh my writing skills. there's a lot of great info and training techniques that will help every writer.
Mike Good
Zeigler gives keen and personal insight on the writing process while articulating perspectives of both the professor and student in a creative writing workshop by sharing his experience in each role. One added bonus is some great writing prompts and digestible methods to think through the revision process.
Helen Mallon
A very, very helpful book. Ziegler gave me the courage and orientation I needed to radically change my approach to my writing classes--less formal, while maintaining the orientation toward craft. He is a very experienced and wise teacher.
Tom Smith
Found in the public library catalog, I hope to use the practical tips with all of my high school classes next fall. They really need to get more practice writing!
Abi
really great ideas and it is written honestly, with passion for writing and students.
Meghan
Very good - informative and easily read. I learned a lot and took tons of notes.
Sylvia Hester
Great information. Enjoyed this book greatly as I took plenty of notes.
Josh Stroup
Must read for anyone who teaches or wants to take a writing workshop.
Mir
good....
John Nooney
John Nooney is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Darius Frasure
Darius Frasure marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Daniel
Daniel added it
Oct 13, 2014
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Short The Green Grass Of Flatbush: Stories The Swan Song of Vaudeville So much to do: Poems The Writing Workshop: How to Teach Creative Writing Volume 1