Start by marking “The Tower” as Want to Read:
The Tower

The Tower

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  28 reviews

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. A deadly warning in a deadly game.

In the bestselling tradition of The Silence of the Lambs comes The Tower, a novel of nail-biting suspense and heart-stopping terror played out in a psychological battle of wit, cunning, and pure evil between a diabolically clever killer and his determined hunter.

The Tower, nicknamed "Alcatraz I

Published August 13th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower

Robert
A psychotic killer escapes from a maximum security facility and a troubled ex FBI agent is called in to track him and bring him to justice. With this premise author Gregg Hurwitz has created a very fast paced and disturbing first novel. Using graphic violence and an over the top macho cop this book is sure to please those interested in the most disturbing books of the mystery genre. This book reminds me of a good horror movie where you want to close your eyes at some parts because you know it is ...more
Eric Ravanello
Sep 27, 2012 Eric Ravanello rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thrilller
Recommended to Eric by: Old highschool buddy
If it wasn't for this book, I would not have read much of anything in my life, nor would I be a GoodReads member today. This book reeled me in from the beginning and never let go, and it took that kind of experience to convince me that books have as much, and much more in many cases, power than a movie.

I have read this book twice since my initial read, and it still makes me cringe. The imagery is outstanding and the mindset Mr. Hurwitz must have had at the time he wrote this book is almost distu
Steven

Alright, it was a good read for the most part. There were times when I couldn't put it down and other times when I couldn't wait to put it down.
Some of the scenes were a bit disturbing because of the violence to children.
There were several parts when the author seemed to get on these long-winded rants about stuff. That's usually when I'd lose interest. I also found the flashbacks/memories distracting because they popped up here and there in the middle of a chapter.
Those things prevented the
Anna Mcfadden
The best and I wish it was a series
Tony
Ouch. Very violent. Bloody
Anthony Kufner
signed
I just loved this book so much and found it physically painful to put down. My favorite character is Allander, who's intelligence amazes me, and sometimes I couldn't understand what he was talking about because he uses many big words and phrases. Jade Marlow was annoying to me, but i did like him. The ending of the book surprised me, with Allander and all. And the weird vision at the end. I find this book very well written, and will go on my 'Favorite Books' Bookshelf.
Bruce
Interesting characters. But I found that I was rooting for the villain, because the hero was just TOO unlikeable.
Lindsay
It took the first 1/3 of the book to get over the characters' names, as they didn't feel natural. Jade for a hard nose man? Atlasia? Was the author just looking around his dorm room? The story flowed well. I loved how it jumped around in perspective and place. The conclusion left me somewhat unsatisfied, but I won't put any spoilers. Maybe I just prefer a grander sense of closure.
Susan
I didn not like this book. I usually love crime/thriller/suspense books, but this just seemed poorly written to me. I really did not like the main hero/character. He was/is real butt & the character was never fully developed to have any depth or redeeming qualities. I think he was more of a 'man's man'.
Would not recommend.
Skip
Probably a 3.5. A convicted serial killer escapes from a maximum security prison, modelled loosely after Alcatraz. A former FBI agent, Jade Marlow, who is now a "tracker" is called upon to track him down. Entertaining, but a bit far fetched as Marlow has to think like the killer to figure out how to apprehend him.
Brenda
The only reason I gave this book 4 stars is because it has a meaty story. The main character was a little dramatic at times. And it disturbs me when kids are hurt or traumatized, even in fiction. So, this was not my favorite Gregg Hurwitz book.
Jp
A solid read, but going from his latest to his first book back like I did illustrated how far he's come as a writer. The book was good, the characters interesting. All in all a solid first novel. I recommend Hurwitz.
Kevin
This books reads like an action movie but the motivation of the main villain makes this not really a good pick for the cinema, unless they wanted an NC-17 rating. That being said, I liked reading this book.
Kathryn
This is his first novel, and the ow lstar rating is compared to his own later works. I read it in less than a day so it's not like it's bad--but he definitely gets better as he goes.
Tom Kinney
Good cat and mouse, but a little implausible. The main character's mistreatment of others was a tad over the top. Not as good as Hurwitz's Tim Rackley series, but readable nonetheless.
D. Norman
I enjoyed reading this. A little over the top and unrealistic but still an enjoyable read. I couldn't figure out why the character names were so obscure.
Tina
Very good thriller about a tracker and the serial killer he is tracking. Some cliches but also some fresh material. Very good read.
Myrna
A decent first book. Unfortunately, I have read a few other, and better written, books by him, so this one fell a little flat.
Cynthia
Huge fan of Gregg Hurwitz...I can tell this is one of his first books. He's really come a long way since then.
Mom
A very different thriller. Kept your interest the entire time and didn't want to put it down.
Olga DiLenge
Not my favorite of his.
Lee
Hurwitz's first novel, about a pysocopath in a high security prison. Non stop action.
Jack
The first book (I think) of a decent mystery/thriller author. Skippable.
User3162
I couldn't read this book, just wasn't my cup of tea.
Liane
Not as good as his later ones. Very gory and horrific.
Larry
DNF; Hurwitz has grown since this first effort.
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
  • Flashback
  • Hunter
  • The Summit
  • Silent Partner
  • Walking Into the Night
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Extreme Denial
  • Ask The Parrot (Parker, #23)
  • Honestly
  • Games of the Hangman
  • Zig Zag
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Bo: Life, Laughs, and Lessons of a College Football Legend
  • Albatross: The True Story of a Woman's Survival at Sea
  • The Erection Set
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
  • The Trade Mission
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of fourteen novels, most recently Don’t Look Back, You’re Next, The Survivor and Tell No Lies. His books have been nominated for numerous awards, shortlisted twice for best novel of the year by International Thriller Writers, nominated for CWA’s Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, chosen
More about Gregg Hurwitz...
You're Next They're Watching The Survivor Trust No One Tell No Lies