Start by marking “The Tower” as Want to Read:
The Tower

The Tower

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. A deadly warning in a deadly game.

In the bestselling tradition of The Silence of the Lambs comes The Tower, a novel of nail-biting suspense and heart-stopping terror played out in a psychological battle of wit, cunning, and pure evil between a diabolically clever killer and his determined hunter.

The Tower, nicknamed "Alcatraz I

Published August 13th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower

Misericordia ❣
Both Allander and Jade have been drawn as larger-than-life titanic figures, each severely traumatised leading to polar opposites development. Another interesting thing is that we see Jade who can't control himself but does a great job catching killers, and we see Allander who carries himself fairly well, apart from the killings part. Obviously, it's not appearances that matter most in this world.
Gruesome but somehow captivating. With occasional notes of philosophic musings and lots of action. An
Robert
Apr 25, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A psychotic killer escapes from a maximum security facility and a troubled ex FBI agent is called in to track him and bring him to justice. With this premise author Gregg Hurwitz has created a very fast paced and disturbing first novel. Using graphic violence and an over the top macho cop this book is sure to please those interested in the most disturbing books of the mystery genre. This book reminds me of a good horror movie where you want to close your eyes at some parts because you know it is ...more
Eric Ravanello
Sep 27, 2012 Eric Ravanello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thrilller
Recommended to Eric by: Old highschool buddy
If it wasn't for this book, I would not have read much of anything in my life, nor would I be a GoodReads member today. This book reeled me in from the beginning and never let go, and it took that kind of experience to convince me that books have as much, and much more in many cases, power than a movie.

I have read this book twice since my initial read, and it still makes me cringe. The imagery is outstanding and the mindset Mr. Hurwitz must have had at the time he wrote this book is almost distu
Jordan
Sep 20, 2016 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little rough in places but overall I really enjoyed it. Not my usual genre but I found it disturbing in all the right places without being unnecessarily graphic to set the theme.
Joe Sobieski
Jan 11, 2016 Joe Sobieski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did this book go straight to the printer without being proofread and/or edited? There have been some books that were SO bad that I couldn't finish them; this one MAY be the worst one that I've ever read from cover to cover. I'd like to give it a "zero star" rating; but I'm not sure if that would actually be tabulated into the overall score.

I will admit that I'm not a big fan of graphic violence, of which this novel has plenty; but I'll put that aside. The implausibility factor in "The Tower" is
Steven
Jul 31, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Alright, it was a good read for the most part. There were times when I couldn't put it down and other times when I couldn't wait to put it down.
Some of the scenes were a bit disturbing because of the violence to children.
There were several parts when the author seemed to get on these long-winded rants about stuff. That's usually when I'd lose interest. I also found the flashbacks/memories distracting because they popped up here and there in the middle of a chapter.
Those things prevented the
Colin Hodgkins
May 03, 2016 Colin Hodgkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint hearted

An excellent first novel, I had recently read 'We know' and looked online for the authors bibliography and found there were many earlier books.
I chose at a whim simply because it was the first.
Very well written and the story runs at a frantic pace from start to finish yet managing to keep the characters believable.
No disappointment with the ending considering the frantic nature of the storyline.
In the silence of the lambs genre.
Sue
Nov 02, 2013 Sue marked it as never-finished  ·  review of another edition
While taut and suspenseful, the characters were too brutal for me to get any enjoyment out of the book. I got about halfway through and just couldn't take any more. I think I could have liked the "hero" if I'd seen a little more behind the mask earlier on. But the language and extreme violence put me off from the rest of the story.
Skip
May 22, 2011 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Probably a 3.5. A convicted serial killer escapes from a maximum security prison, modelled loosely after Alcatraz. A former FBI agent, Jade Marlow, who is now a "tracker" is called upon to track him down. Entertaining, but a bit far fetched as Marlow has to think like the killer to figure out how to apprehend him.
Susan
Aug 05, 2013 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn not like this book. I usually love crime/thriller/suspense books, but this just seemed poorly written to me. I really did not like the main hero/character. He was/is real butt & the character was never fully developed to have any depth or redeeming qualities. I think he was more of a 'man's man'.
Would not recommend.
Lindsay
It took the first 1/3 of the book to get over the characters' names, as they didn't feel natural. Jade for a hard nose man? Atlasia? Was the author just looking around his dorm room? The story flowed well. I loved how it jumped around in perspective and place. The conclusion left me somewhat unsatisfied, but I won't put any spoilers. Maybe I just prefer a grander sense of closure.
Brenda
Aug 12, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I gave this book 4 stars is because it has a meaty story. The main character was a little dramatic at times. And it disturbs me when kids are hurt or traumatized, even in fiction. So, this was not my favorite Gregg Hurwitz book.
Linda Shane
Jan 23, 2016 Linda Shane rated it liked it
Obviously Gregg Hurwitz is a highly talented, brillant young author and I rated You're Next with 5 stars. This was a first novel and for me, possibly not for most, was too full of evil insanity and death. The content was too depressive for my old self...
Sean
Dec 29, 2014 Sean rated it it was ok
Another pretty competent Greg Hurwitz novel. However, towards the end it became predictable novel about revenge. The whole last scene at the tower is a bit contrived though it was ok. Bit unbelievable.
Kevin
Nov 09, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books reads like an action movie but the motivation of the main villain makes this not really a good pick for the cinema, unless they wanted an NC-17 rating. That being said, I liked reading this book.
Jp
Jun 25, 2008 Jp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-books
A solid read, but going from his latest to his first book back like I did illustrated how far he's come as a writer. The book was good, the characters interesting. All in all a solid first novel. I recommend Hurwitz.
kelley flink
Jul 08, 2016 kelley flink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. Hurwitz gets it.

He is a gifted writer. This book is terrifying and so well written. He is one of my new favoritez
Tina
Sep 18, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good thriller about a tracker and the serial killer he is tracking. Some cliches but also some fresh material. Very good read.
Kathryn
This is his first novel, and the ow lstar rating is compared to his own later works. I read it in less than a day so it's not like it's bad--but he definitely gets better as he goes.
Myrna
Nov 26, 2013 Myrna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent first book. Unfortunately, I have read a few other, and better written, books by him, so this one fell a little flat.
D. Norman
Mar 17, 2014 D. Norman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this. A little over the top and unrealistic but still an enjoyable read. I couldn't figure out why the character names were so obscure.
Cynthia
Huge fan of Gregg Hurwitz...I can tell this is one of his first books. He's really come a long way since then.
Bruce
Apr 24, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting characters. But I found that I was rooting for the villain, because the hero was just TOO unlikeable.
Tom Kinney
Good cat and mouse, but a little implausible. The main character's mistreatment of others was a tad over the top. Not as good as Hurwitz's Tim Rackley series, but readable nonetheless.
TJ
TJ rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Heidi Pedersen
Heidi Pedersen rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Nancy Gerard
Nancy Gerard rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Brian Thomas
Brian Thomas rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2011
Gidget
Gidget rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
  • Flashback
  • Games of the Hangman
  • Rebound
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Mike Hammer: Lady, Go Die!
  • Ask The Parrot (Parker, #23)
  • Hunter
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • Thinning the Predators
  • Albatross: The True Story of a Woman's Survival at Sea
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • Honestly
  • Extreme Denial
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)
  • Comes the Dark
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 17 novels, most recently ORPHAN X and THE NOWHERE MAN. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wol
More about Gregg Hurwitz...

“SETTLING into the seat of his ’81 banged-up black 320i, Jade rolled the radio tuning knob through a cacophony of static. Giving up, he reached into his glove compartment, pulled out a CD, and slipped it in. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue. The green lights floated overhead, one after another, as Jade swerved from lane to lane, darting between cars. He drove along the streets with his left arm extended out the broken window, his hand tapping the car roof furiously to the tune: “Du nu nu nu nu nu nu na. So what. Du nu nu nu nu nu nu na. So what.” 0 likes
“We don’t need to get into all that right now,” Darby continued. “I’m sure Mr. Marlow can read between the lines. Anything else, Mr. Marlow?” Jade noticed that her tone had changed. Though she was still polite, her warmth had departed.” 0 likes