Start by marking “The Once and Future Goddess” as Want to Read:
The Once and Future Goddess

The Once and Future Goddess

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  274 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A testament to the reemergence of the Goddess in art and in the lives of contemporary women and men.
Published November 29th 1989 by HarperOne (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Once and Future Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Once and Future Goddess

Kelly
Nov 28, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
When I first flipped through this book I felt energy swirl around me. It's all about images of female creative energy down through time. It's almost like tracking the apocrypha of history.
Tristy
This is one of the books that totally changed my life. It begins with showcasing prehistoric Goddess art and details several hypotheses as to how and why the sacredness/worshiping of the Goddess was ground out by patriarchal forces. Interspersed throughout the book are some incredibly powerful images of works art, covering almost all mediums. I often re-read this book when I need to brush up on my Goddess history, or want to be re-inspired by the incredibly powerful feminist art of the 1980's, o ...more
Annierobert
Sep 08, 2015 Annierobert rated it really liked it
This book is great if your a chick that just went through a bad break up. I like the historical aspects of it but it is very Wiccan/Feminist.
Felicia
Aug 30, 2009 Felicia rated it it was amazing
This book most influenced my art for the last twelve years.
Michaela Hutfles
Dec 15, 2010 Michaela Hutfles rated it it was ok
In the beginning I wanted to kick the author in the ovaries, her assumptive arrogant imperious introduction made me hate everything about the author. That said, skip the introduction and go straight to the text, her agenda will still be evident, but slightly more palatable.
She often puts the horse before the cart stating things about "non-violent" prehistoric cultures before stating the evidence that leads to this belief/theory. Which personally I find maddening as the evidence for this is often
Amanda J
Sep 05, 2010 Amanda J rated it it was ok
I had the opportunity not only to read The Once and Future Goddess, but also to hear Elinor Gadon speak. The text is richly illustrated and Gadon, an art historian, presents her material well. Nevertheless, I did not feel the text was well suited for those interested in religous studies as much as for those looking to understand goddess imagery in art.
Nancy
Feb 24, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I found this book on a recent reading list. It is a sweeping historical, anthropological, archaeological, religious, artistic, literary and mythological study of the sacred feminine. Even though the book was first published well before 2000, it is timely and is still recommended.The author is a cultural historian at the Women's Studies Research Center at Brandeis University.
Lia
Jul 23, 2008 Lia rated it liked it
Shelves: female-mysteries
Lots of speculation or seeing things through a very particular lens. It has some fascinating information, but I found myself feeling skeptical often enough to be bothersome because there was so much "certainty" where I saw lots of room for "who knows?"
Kristen
Feb 05, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very beautiful, visually stimulating book of the history of goddess worship. I'd recommend it for any pagan or Witch's book case!
Jennifer Hinton
Feb 14, 2016 Jennifer Hinton rated it it was ok
This book struck as a rehash of other author's thinking and research. After reading it, I felt like it added nothing new to my understanding of the subject matter. Perhaps, a good read if you are absolutely new to this topic. If you've already read a lot of Gimbutas' works, I would forget it. That said, I have seen many good reviews of this book from artists, I am not one. Perhaps, they come to it with a different perspective.
Leesa Wilson
Oct 31, 2015 Leesa Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of the most deeply wise, fascinating, and validating books I have ever read on the Goddess. Elinor W. Gadon delves into a truth so ancient and obvious that one wonders how we were ever deceived and controlled by the patriarchy in the first place. If you are on the edge of awakening, and need something solid to hold on to... the information and art shared in this book will surely enlighten and empower. It's been in my library for over 20 years, and I still marvel at the abundance of b ...more
Roy
Jun 14, 2010 Roy rated it it was amazing
This is a must for any artist to see the increase in feminist art from 1970-the present in the context of the documentation of the rise of Goddess/Earth Mother consciousness. Documents the suppression of the goddess and the woman's role in society by patriarchal religions. Generously illustrated and referenced.
MJ
Feb 16, 2012 MJ rated it really liked it
Read in conjunction with class at UUFA. Wonderful thing bout internet--I wasn't able to finish before leaving for Yakima--but I can put it on hold there with my mom's card.
Catherine Veritas
Learn your women's history through art, from Venus of Willendorf to Judy Chicago and beyond. Beautiful color plates inspire on every level. An all around fantastic book.
Valentina
Apr 15, 2012 Valentina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reference book on the origins and future of Goddess worship!
Onute
Apr 10, 2008 Onute is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to sell this book
Beth
Barbc
Aug 20, 2013 Barbc marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jamie-m
Olimpia Cerdá
Olimpia Cerdá rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Kell
Kell marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Maura
Maura added it
Apr 15, 2016
Elke
Elke added it
Apr 09, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Tara Finger
Tara Finger marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Linda Jordan
Linda Jordan rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Don Grant
Don Grant marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • The Language of the Goddess
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • The Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image
  • The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries: Feminist Witchcraft, Goddess Rituals, Spellcasting and Other Womanly Arts
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman’s Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess
  • The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
  • Dancing in the Flames: The Dark Goddess in the Transformation of Consciousness
  • The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future