Start by marking “The Once and Future Goddess” as Want to Read:
The Once and Future Goddess

The Once and Future Goddess

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A testament to the reemergence of the Goddess in art and in the lives of contemporary women and men.
Published November 29th 1989 by HarperOne (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Once and Future Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Once and Future Goddess

Kelly
When I first flipped through this book I felt energy swirl around me. It's all about images of female creative energy down through time. It's almost like tracking the apocrypha of history.
Felicia
This book most influenced my art for the last twelve years.
Michaela Hutfles
In the beginning I wanted to kick the author in the ovaries, her assumptive arrogant imperious introduction made me hate everything about the author. That said, skip the introduction and go straight to the text, her agenda will still be evident, but slightly more palatable.
She often puts the horse before the cart stating things about "non-violent" prehistoric cultures before stating the evidence that leads to this belief/theory. Which personally I find maddening as the evidence for this is often
Tristy
This is one of the books that totally changed my life. It begins with showcasing prehistoric Goddess art and details several hypotheses as to how and why the sacredness/worshiping of the Goddess was ground out by patriarchal forces. Interspersed throughout the book are some incredibly powerful images of works art, covering almost all mediums. I often re-read this book when I need to brush up on my Goddess history, or want to be re-inspired by the incredibly powerful feminist art of the 1980's, o ...more
Amanda J
I had the opportunity not only to read The Once and Future Goddess, but also to hear Elinor Gadon speak. The text is richly illustrated and Gadon, an art historian, presents her material well. Nevertheless, I did not feel the text was well suited for those interested in religous studies as much as for those looking to understand goddess imagery in art.
Nancy
I found this book on a recent reading list. It is a sweeping historical, anthropological, archaeological, religious, artistic, literary and mythological study of the sacred feminine. Even though the book was first published well before 2000, it is timely and is still recommended.The author is a cultural historian at the Women's Studies Research Center at Brandeis University.
Lia
Lots of speculation or seeing things through a very particular lens. It has some fascinating information, but I found myself feeling skeptical often enough to be bothersome because there was so much "certainty" where I saw lots of room for "who knows?"
Annierobert
This book is great if your a chick that just went through a bad break up. I like the historical aspects of it but it is very Wiccan/Feminist.
Kristen
This was a very beautiful, visually stimulating book of the history of goddess worship. I'd recommend it for any pagan or Witch's book case!
Roy
This is a must for any artist to see the increase in feminist art from 1970-the present in the context of the documentation of the rise of Goddess/Earth Mother consciousness. Documents the suppression of the goddess and the woman's role in society by patriarchal religions. Generously illustrated and referenced.
MJ
Read in conjunction with class at UUFA. Wonderful thing bout internet--I wasn't able to finish before leaving for Yakima--but I can put it on hold there with my mom's card.
Catherine Veritas
Learn your women's history through art, from Venus of Willendorf to Judy Chicago and beyond. Beautiful color plates inspire on every level. An all around fantastic book.
Valentina
Wonderful reference book on the origins and future of Goddess worship!
Onute
Apr 10, 2008 Onute is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to sell this book
Beth
Very interesting.
Barbc
Aug 20, 2013 Barbc marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jamie-m
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Alma
Alma marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Alessia
Alessia marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jon Rose
Jon Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Catalina Fuentes
Catalina Fuentes marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Raquel Scianna
Raquel Scianna marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • The Language of the Goddess
  • The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries: Feminist Witchcraft, Goddess Rituals, Spellcasting and Other Womanly Arts
  • The Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image
  • The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets
  • Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess
  • Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future
  • Dancing in the Flames: The Dark Goddess in the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Kali: The Feminine Force