Start by marking “Bond of Blood” as Want to Read:
Bond of Blood

Bond of Blood

Her radiance, her beauty, cascading golden hair had tempted many a heart...But at fifteen she had yet to taste both life and love. Only marriage to the rugged Lord of Radnor awakened her tender passion, and transformed her from reluctant bride to willing lover.

A giant of a man whose iron will conquered enemy forces and many a woman's heart, Cain sought her hand little know
Published July 1st 1985 by Jove (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Bond of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bond of Blood

Mar 23, 2008 Sumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-medieval
A romance set in the middle of the 12th century in England. The Earl of Pembroke is marrying off his daughter to a knight twice her age for political reasons, intending to kill his son-in-law at some later date.
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2009
Jill Dunlop
Jun 10, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it
This book is a very hard to book for me to grade. It is a very well written and researched book, but some things in it were very hard to swallow. Bond of Blood is one of the first books Roberta Gellis wrote, if not the first. It is a story of two families who come together by marriage. Politics plays a major reason for the marriage. The Earl of Pembroke ultimately wants to kill his son-in-law to gain control of his lands. So he hatches a scheme to wed his daughter Leah to Cain, Lord of Radnor.

Rebecca Huston
My first Roberta Gellis novel. Not very PC by today's standards, but so well written that you don't care. Cain is a tortured, nearly mad, soul (and for good reason); Leah is the one who manages to tame him. A classic, and worth the hunt to find.
This is a compelling, well-written novel set during the civil war between King Stephen and the Empress Matilda. Fifteen year-old Leah is married to the much-older Cain, Lord Radnor, and their love develops in spite of the various plots that are being woven around them.

Roberta Gellis is brilliant at creating atmosphere, and while there are inaccuracies, this does not detract from the skill with which she creates her settings, which include isolated castles on the Welsh border, London and the Roy
May 03, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Set in England during the reign of King Stephen. A noble fifteen-year-old girl is married off--for political reasons--to a neighboring lord. He's a hardened soldier with a foot deformity. She's sweet and innocent. And her father is secretly plotting at very high levels to kill his son-in-law, recoup his own lands as well as his son-in-law's, and consolidate a power base in Wales. A lot of the plot of the book revolves around this scheme and its resolution, as well as related conspiracies involvi ...more
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Deb rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Ginger rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Lisa rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Oct 09, 2012 Brenna marked it as wall-banged
Shelves: library-read
I might go back to this someday
Jan 08, 2012 Sandyh rated it it was amazing
Actually the first historical romance I ever read and one of my all time favorites. So realistic. Don't get turned off by the age differance. It is historically accurate.
Winter rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Regan Walker
Mar 24, 2012 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
A Medieval Classic…a Keeper to Treasure!

This is a classic from 1965 that all historical romance fans should read. Set in 1147, it is intricately detailed, starkly realistic and historically accurate, reflecting great research. So much so it’s like watching a movie in your mind. It’s the story of Leah, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Cain, Lord Radmor, a Welsh marcher lord who, by heritage, was more Welsh than English. Though Cain was sworn to King Stephen, Cain recognized the country was il
Kimberley Coover
Kimberley Coover rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2012
Mar 24, 2015 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fantastic. Never thought I would have been so hooked on a historical romance, written in the 1960's about Wales in the 12th century. Well, I was. Harsh, difficult, harrowing...that's life in the 12th century, that's an apt description of Cain and it is definitely the life a woman in that era. This is first and foremost a love story, but it is not terribly romantic and my heart broke quite a few times in 300 pages. But this story is so well written and the characters are wove ...more
4.5 rounded up to 5

I read this one back in June and cannot believe that I haven't written a peep on this beauty. This is a story about an older man (a whopping 29 if I can remember correctly) marrying a tender little thing of 15 or 16? This is an arranged marriage between neighboring families, which was actually a plot by the girl's parents to do in the H so they can take his lands.

I loved this story for its details. The author gives us a little history lesson at the beginning, telling us some
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Dec 31, 2012 Raimonda rated it really liked it
Wow,tai vienas keisciausiu meiles romanu ,koki esu skaicius,nors abejoju ar tai is vis meiles romanas.Gal,kad jis parasytas 1976m,todel keistai atrodo 2012.Knyga patiko,nors prireike laiko prie jos prisitaikyti,nes jis realistiskas,brrr 15m nuotaka ir 30m jaunikis,ir jis jos nuomone svelnus ir geras,nes per visa knyga muse ja tik pora kartu,netaip kaip jos tevas.Istorija idomi begalo,o sexas kaip reta tragiskai realus ir trumpas.Rekomenduoju!
Feb 02, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
The historical background is solid, but the romance was silly and unbelievable. Heroine cries at the drop of a pin. Maybe it's just dated as it was first published in the mid60s.
Cala Knight
Cala Knight rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2014
Katarina rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Roze rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Margaret Harbert
Mar 06, 2014 Margaret Harbert rated it it was amazing
This was my introduction to Roberta Gellis (sometime in the early 1970's) and became the basis on which I judged other "historical" romances. In today's terms, it is not PC, but it feels so accurate in depicting not only the physical world of the time but also the way in which people of that time thought. I have re-read this book over the years, and found it even better the second time around. I think in re-reading it, I understood and accepted a little more of the world she's describing.
Dec 19, 2014 Didichan rated it did not like it
This is not a romance novel. This should be a historical document of how disgusting and disrespectful men were in that era. What a revolting read. I can not believe this book has such high rating; the romance between poor innocent Leah and the hero was so sad and repulsing. The hero was the worst thing ever, he was violent, crude and had an inferiority complex that he kept projecting onto Leah. I have read other books in medieval times, this is one the first that was so bad I almost threw my iPa ...more
Sandra Noel
Feb 07, 2015 Sandra Noel rated it it was amazing
Another old favorite - written in 1965 by a medieval scholar - romance and intrigue in the middle ages.

Beautifully written and researched - a romance with both a heart and a brain.
**2.5 stars**

I'm very surprised that after having read the entire novel, I found myself giving 3 stars instead of what I expected. Before reading Roberta Gellis for the first time and after seeing such positive reviews on this novel, I thought it would be a 5 star read, but sadly it did not hold up to that. I am kind of disappointed to be truthful. First of all, it more likely sounded like a historical book rather than a historical romance. There was almost no romance in the story between the H&
M.R. Rutter
M.R. Rutter rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Dijana Pejic
Dijana Pejic rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Aug 03, 2016 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-reads
One of the first historical romances I read back in the early '80s. I've read it at least 3 times beginning to end. It was printed in 1965, I think. I still have the book and used to read it once in awhile but I skim past most of the writing about the history part of the middle ages now and just read the parts with the characters actual story. I used to love reading the parts about the history.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bride of the Lion
  • To the Castle
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Never Call It Love
  • Bonds of Love
  • Saxon Bride (Bride #4)
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
  • Winter's Heat (The Graistan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rain Maiden
  • The Darkest Heart
  • Lovesong (Song, #1)
  • Valentina
  • Swan Road
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Leopard Unleashed (Ravenstow Trilogy #3)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She was married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they lived together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Speculative
More about Roberta Gellis...