Start by marking “Bond of Blood” as Want to Read:
Bond of Blood

Bond of Blood

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Her radiance, her beauty, cascading golden hair had tempted many a heart...But at fifteen she had yet to taste both life and love. Only marriage to the rugged Lord of Radnor awakened her tender passion, and transformed her from reluctant bride to willing lover.

A giant of a man whose iron will conquered enemy forces and many a woman's heart, Cain sought her hand little know
Published July 1st 1985 by Jove (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Bond of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bond of Blood

4.5 rounded up to 5

I read this one back in June and cannot believe that I haven't written a peep on this beauty. This is a story about an older man (a whopping 29 if I can remember correctly) marrying a tender little thing of 15 or 16? This is an arranged marriage between neighboring families, which was actually a plot by the girl's parents to do in the H so they can take his lands.

I loved this story for its details. The author gives us a little history lesson at the beginning, telling us some
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
This is a compelling, well-written novel set during the civil war between King Stephen and the Empress Matilda. Fifteen year-old Leah is married to the much-older Cain, Lord Radnor, and their love develops in spite of the various plots that are being woven around them.

Roberta Gellis is brilliant at creating atmosphere, and while there are inaccuracies, this does not detract from the skill with which she creates her settings, which include isolated castles on the Welsh border, London and the Roy
This book was really fantastic. Never thought I would have been so hooked on a historical romance, written in the 1960's about Wales in the 12th century. Well, I was. Harsh, difficult, harrowing...that's life in the 12th century, that's an apt description of Cain and it is definitely the life a woman in that era. This is first and foremost a love story, but it is not terribly romantic and my heart broke quite a few times in 300 pages. But this story is so well written and the characters are wove ...more
Rebecca Huston
My first Roberta Gellis novel. Not very PC by today's standards, but so well written that you don't care. Cain is a tortured, nearly mad, soul (and for good reason); Leah is the one who manages to tame him. A classic, and worth the hunt to find.
Jill Dunlop
This book is a very hard to book for me to grade. It is a very well written and researched book, but some things in it were very hard to swallow. Bond of Blood is one of the first books Roberta Gellis wrote, if not the first. It is a story of two families who come together by marriage. Politics plays a major reason for the marriage. The Earl of Pembroke ultimately wants to kill his son-in-law to gain control of his lands. So he hatches a scheme to wed his daughter Leah to Cain, Lord of Radnor.

**2.5 stars**

I'm very surprised that after having read the entire novel, I found myself giving 3 stars instead of what I expected. Before reading Roberta Gellis for the first time and after seeing such positive reviews on this novel, I thought it would be a 5 star read, but sadly it did not hold up to that. I am kind of disappointed to be truthful. First of all, it more likely sounded like a historical book rather than a historical romance. There was almost no romance in the story between the H&
Sandra Noel
Another old favorite - written in 1965 by a medieval scholar - romance and intrigue in the middle ages.

Beautifully written and researched - a romance with both a heart and a brain.
This is not a romance novel. This should be a historical document of how disgusting and disrespectful men were in that era. What a revolting read. I can not believe this book has such high rating; the romance between poor innocent Leah and the hero was so sad and repulsing. The hero was the worst thing ever, he was violent, crude and had an inferiority complex that he kept projecting onto Leah. I have read other books in medieval times, this is one the first that was so bad I almost threw my iPa ...more
Oct 09, 2012 Brenna marked it as wall-banged
Shelves: library-read
I might go back to this someday
Set in England during the reign of King Stephen. A noble fifteen-year-old girl is married off--for political reasons--to a neighboring lord. He's a hardened soldier with a foot deformity. She's sweet and innocent. And her father is secretly plotting at very high levels to kill his son-in-law, recoup his own lands as well as his son-in-law's, and consolidate a power base in Wales. A lot of the plot of the book revolves around this scheme and its resolution, as well as related conspiracies involvi ...more
Regan Walker
A Medieval Classic…a Keeper to Treasure!

This is a classic from 1965 that all historical romance fans should read. Set in 1147, it is intricately detailed, starkly realistic and historically accurate, reflecting great research. So much so it’s like watching a movie in your mind. It’s the story of Leah, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Cain, Lord Radmor, a Welsh marcher lord who, by heritage, was more Welsh than English. Though Cain was sworn to King Stephen, Cain recognized the country was il
Margaret Harbert
This was my introduction to Roberta Gellis (sometime in the early 1970's) and became the basis on which I judged other "historical" romances. In today's terms, it is not PC, but it feels so accurate in depicting not only the physical world of the time but also the way in which people of that time thought. I have re-read this book over the years, and found it even better the second time around. I think in re-reading it, I understood and accepted a little more of the world she's describing.
Wow,tai vienas keisciausiu meiles romanu ,koki esu skaicius,nors abejoju ar tai is vis meiles romanas.Gal,kad jis parasytas 1976m,todel keistai atrodo 2012.Knyga patiko,nors prireike laiko prie jos prisitaikyti,nes jis realistiskas,brrr 15m nuotaka ir 30m jaunikis,ir jis jos nuomone svelnus ir geras,nes per visa knyga muse ja tik pora kartu,netaip kaip jos tevas.Istorija idomi begalo,o sexas kaip reta tragiskai realus ir trumpas.Rekomenduoju!
A romance set in the middle of the 12th century in England. The Earl of Pembroke is marrying off his daughter to a knight twice her age for political reasons, intending to kill his son-in-law at some later date.
Actually the first historical romance I ever read and one of my all time favorites. So realistic. Don't get turned off by the age differance. It is historically accurate.
The historical background is solid, but the romance was silly and unbelievable. Heroine cries at the drop of a pin. Maybe it's just dated as it was first published in the mid60s.
A spin off of Gellis' popular Roselynd series, based on a real couple.
Kiri added it
Sep 29, 2015
Jessica LeVick
Jessica LeVick marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Joyce David
Joyce David marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
jj marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • The Leopard Unleashed
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Lord of a Thousand Nights (Medieval #6)
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun (Dominick, #3)
  • Never Call It Love
  • Lovesong (Song, #1)
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • The Maiden Bride
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1) (Ladies, #1)
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Flesh and the Devil
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She has been married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they live together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Specula
More about Roberta Gellis...
Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1) Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2) A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2) Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)