Murder in the Museum of Man (Norman de Ratour, #1)

Murder in the Museum of Man (Norman de Ratour #1)

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Dean Cranston Fessing, dispatched from Wainscott University to investigate finances of the neighboring Museum of Man, has been murdered. Not only that, but his grisly remains bear the unmistakable mark of haute cuisine. The police are baffled, and the media have a field day, dragging the name of the venerable museum through the mud. To get to the bottom of it all, and save...more
Published March 11th 1997 by Zoland Books

Tricia
After 1 week, only 25 pages. So boring. So. Very. Boring.
Julie H.
Alfred Acorn's Murder in the Museum of Man, book #1 in the "Norman de Rateur" series, is the most erudite, hilarious send-up of pompous academics and museologists I have ever come across. Main character Norman de Rateur, begins the story as the Recording Secretary of the Museum of Man (MOM), daily mourning the missed opportunity some 30 years in his past of wedding his long-lost love, Elsbeth. Over the course of the unfolding mystery--told through the vehicle of the "unofficial" log in which he...more
Michael
The opening of my Boston Globe review:

When pieces of Dean Cranston Fessing are discovered in a dumpster behind the gender-studies center at Wainscott University, having been roasted, sauteed, or baked in one delicate sauce or another, it is the best thing that ever happened to Norman de Ratour, mild-mannered recording secretary at the Museum of Man.

Dean Fessing, you see, was laying the groundwork to have the university swallow the museum, threatening not only to end the museum's sacred mission b...more
Anne
Syntactical Disruptorize
A delicious mix of murder mystery, academic politics, satire, and cannibalism. Couldn't stop chuckling.
Carmen
I thought this would be an interesting read. A professor missing, later found murdered. He was prepared as a delicacy. The horror! I certainly wanted to get to the bottom of this. However, I found this book to be a chore in having to work so hard to read it. I just could not get absorbed. The narrator has a dry intellectual voice that failed to generate any excitement on my end. I am a fast reader but the journey was slow. After a week, I've given up.
Ronald Wise
A very amusing mystery novel, involving a power struggle over the fate of the Museum of Man, cannibalism, eugenics, and a chimpanzee writing project — all under one roof. Real chimp lit! The arguments of political correctness concerning the proposed Neanderthal diarama were hysterical enough to produce the third death of the story. I learned of it through the Seattle Public Library's reading list "If You Like Arturo Perez-Reverte...".
VeganMedusa
It took me a hundred pages or so to get this book. I couldn't quite figure it out. But then I chuckled through it. They almost lost as many Deans as probation workers on Misfits. Nice having a narrator who's a bit clueless, so I can feel smart.
Kdunbier
Enjoyable mystery. Reminded me of Russo's Straight Man, but with cannibalism. Not really a mystery you can solve though, which I'm more used to, but still a fun ride. Will definitely read the rest.
Caro
Light and fun (despite the cannibalism), but not so great that I'll keep reading.
Lynn Kearney
Too clever by half. Well-written but close to terminally cute!
Pat
Not worth reading - skipped to the end way before it was done.
Cassandra
Too silly...
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Be
Be added it
Mar 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Terrie Purkey
Terrie Purkey marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Stephanie Rosso
Stephanie Rosso marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Melet
Melet marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Diane Lending
Diane Lending marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Dayla
Dayla marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alfred Alcorn is the author of the second Norman de Ratour Mystery, The Love Potion Murders in the Museum of Man, and former director of travel at Harvard University's Museum of Natural History. He lives in Belmont, Masschusetts.
More about Alfred Alcorn...
The Love Potion Murders in the Museum of Man (Norman de Ratour, #2) The Counterfeit Murder in the Museum of Man (Norman de Ratour, #3) The Pull of the Earth The Long Run of Myles Mayberry Vestments