Start by marking “I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon” as Want to Read:
I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  531 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Philip K. Dick. I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon. Garden City: Doubleday, 1985. First edition, first printing. Octavo. 179 pages.

I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon is also the title of a short story by Philip K. Dick. (The short story was first published in Playboy in December 1980, under the title Frozen Journey.) In it, a man regains consciousness during a failed attempt at cryosleep

Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 179 pages
Published June 1st 1985 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

Jack Tripper
description
Here's a larger image of the 1987 St. Martin's Press mass-market paperback. I've read a few of these stories before, but surprisingly a majority are new to me, I believe. Most of them were also included in the 1991 retrospective, We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, which covers PKD's work from the mid-60s to the early 80s. The stories here are mostly from the late 70s/early 80s, though the first few are from earlier in his career.
Connor Simcox
Nov 24, 2011 Connor Simcox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel weird about giving two books in a two 5 stars but both were excellent.

I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon gains its five stars for the first essay alone. "How to Build A Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later" is the first truly life changing thing I have ever read. It changed me as a thinker, an artist, a student, a writer, it changed how I see the world as a whole and around me, and most importantly made me more spiritual. That's not to say it made me believe in a certain god or exactly
Leigh-ann
The most depressing collection of Dick's short stories that I've ever read. Started on a happy note with "The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford" but got increasingly dark and pessimistic. I enjoyed "Holy Quarrel" despite its ominous undertones, but it was a classic PDK short story. "Strange Memories of Death" was depressing given that it too closely reflects my current life situation, facing eviction and worrying about every knock on thhe door. Surprisingly, in the midst of all this darkness ...more
Praveen N. Jayasuriya
Like any PKD title, whether it be a short story or a novel it helps to take a step back and explore the context in which the piece was written. PKD experimented with hallucinogens and "suffered" from "visions" and a sense of unease regarding what's "real" and what is merely and illusion.

This is a terse short story with a fascinating premise: a man wakes, consciousness brimming at the surface of a deep cryogenic sleep. He cannot move and his colleagues are fast asleep. They belong to a crew on a
Echoes
Blackout
Jun 11, 2015 Blackout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little uneven overall...but man, there are some great ideas in here!
Colin
Aug 26, 2014 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 7 stories in this book weren't bad but were pretty forgettable. The high rating is for the great introductory essay by Dick, in which he describes his delusional religious experiences and rants about pre-Socratic philosophy, and for the brilliance of the last 3 stories: "Chains of Air, Web of Aether," "Rautavaara's Case" and "I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon." Tellingly, these are the 3 stories summarized on the back cover, and they're among the strongest sci fi short stories I've ever read. ...more
Raj
Mar 14, 2013 Raj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
The tone of this collection of Dick's stories is set in the introduction, which is spent discussing the nature of reality and what it means to be human, in the context of events in Dick's own life, and the coincidences that occurred following the writing of his novel, Flow my Tears the Policeman Said. It's a fairly dark collection, with The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford being the exceptional light, moderately fluffy story of a machine that annoys things into becoming alive. The Alien Mind ...more
N.J. Ramsden
Feb 06, 2014 N.J. Ramsden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A neat collection of neat little stories. I think that's the best word, "neat" - nothing here is groundbreaking, nothing earth-shaking - just "neat". They fit tidily into small spaces, they fulfill their functions, they end. They're good examples of "neat" writing, of a kind of relaxed but concise kind of storytelling. Whether more than one or two of these pieces will remain fresh or somehow vital in the mind after reading is another matter.
Matt
Feb 10, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection, although it is a bit dark even for Dick. The introduction really sets the tone of what should be captured from the stories included. How Dick likes to question reality, and humanity. He gives computers emotional obligations and lets the world play out. The introduction is also great because it seems to give a better view of what Dick's life was like. A happier version of his life than you might get from reading Scanner Darkly. The introduction also serves as a reminder ...more
Michael Tildsley
I don't know a lot about this collection of short stories, but I assume they are not representative of Dick's best work. There are some really decent stories in the collection, but, overall, most feel unpolished or just average. A big reason for this is that the introduction by Dick is amazing. It reminds me of the amazing college lectures my English department professors were known to give. The introduction begins things on such a high note that it never gets topped.

I look forward to reading mo
David De Biasi
Un'antologia di racconti in ordine cronologico per entrare a piccoli passi nello straniante "mondo dickiano" (in questo volume però mancano molti stupendi racconti dell'autore), i miei preferiti sono "Teologia per Computer" e "Spero di Arrivare Presto".
Rahul Gupta
Apr 16, 2014 Rahul Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Psychological horror at its subtle best. Just imagining what it would be like in the protagonist's shoes gave me the chills. Long before sensory deprivation chambers became a fad.
Darceylaine
The opening essay on reality is lovely. Makes me miss California.

Quotes:
The Authentic human being is one of us who instinctively knows what he should not do, and, in addition, he will balk at doing it. He will refuse to do it, even if this brings down dread consequences to him and to those he loves. This, to me, is the ultimately heroic trait of ordinary people: they can say no to the tyrant and they calmly take the consequences of this resistance." p. 22

"Reality is that which, when you stop be
Joe
Nov 24, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding, if unrepresentative, collection of Philip K. Dick's short stories, generally (though not exclusively) dealing with encounters with other realities. The introductory essay, 'How To Build A Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later', with its discussion of how Dick approached and interacted with the world around him, is indicative of the style reflected throughout the rest of the anthology.
Josh
Feb 23, 2014 Josh rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Short stories, two stars. Book gets 3 for interesting speech by PKD as introduction.
Patrice
This is such an interesting collection of short stories. It is definitely science fiction and in some ways dates itself; but I thought the stories were all somewhat thought provoking and isn’t that what a good sci-fi story should do? I really found the “Explorers We” quite an interesting story and then “Holy Quarrel” was also one to make those thought processes run….
TrumanCoyote
Odds and ends...the only really good story "Rautavaara's Case"--funny and sly; and the title story alright, although verging on self-parody. In truth I guess I'm getting a little sick of hearing about pre-Socratic philosophers and Christianity from him--he really does just write the same thing over and over again, even when it's not a novel.
David Allen
Jan 08, 2012 David Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This posthumous collection of previously uncollected stories is loaded with winners, from the shoe that achieves sentience and the penny candy that decides the fate of the planet to the cafeteria meal that teaches a man to question authority and the astronaut who awakens from frozen sleep but refuses to believe he's awake. Frequently astonishing.
Karl Royce
Jul 18, 2008 Karl Royce rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of Dick short stories published posthumously.

Me Ma found me a first edition of this. I love it. This is also the book that contains the essay Richard Linklater references in "Waking Life" about parallel realities and time not being real.
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick's last collection of short stories includes some classics. The title story outstrips Dante with a vision of a Hell produced by malfunctioning suspended animation technology that is one of the most nightmarish things I have ever read.
Ivan Castellucci
Nov 17, 2014 Ivan Castellucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Se capitate in un qualsiasi mercatino dell'usato e trovate questo Urania, non fatevelo assolutamente scappare.
La mia recensione sul mio blog : http://capitolonero.blogspot.it/2014/...
Erik
May 09, 2012 Erik rated it liked it
Like all but "... Brown Oxford."
In his introduction, he states, "I like to build universes which do fall apart. I like to see them come unglued, and I like to see how the characters in the novels cope with this problem."
Melvin Tendilla
Sep 30, 2014 Melvin Tendilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truth be told I've only read the short story that serves as the namesake for this collection. It's everything I would want in a Charlie Kaufman film: quirk, sadness, hope.
Nick Harris
Aug 07, 2015 Nick Harris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately timed Windows update.
Tim
Oct 28, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
For PKD stories, these are about as straight-forward as you'll get. For his short stories, these are about as grim as you'll get. Regardless, the man can do no wrong.
Yanish Philipson
I definitely like this compilation, although some of these stories aren't the Philip K. Dick most readers are used to.
Jane
Jul 02, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will definitely try to read more Philip K. Dick.
John
  • Ted, White and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force
  • The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • The Traveler
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • Lifeblood
  • Timeshares
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2010
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” 3467 likes