Pipe Dreams: A Surfer's Journey

Pipe Dreams: A Surfer's Journey

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  35 reviews
I thought, Pfft, come on. People from Australia are world champions ... But a world champion from Florida? Fuhged-daboudit.
Cocoa Beach, Florida, isn't exactly a breeding ground for surfing world champions -- the waves are tiny. So when Kelly Slater was growing up, the furthest thing from his mind was becoming a world champion. He was a Florida grommet whose biggest goal wa...more
Published July 29th 2003 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2003)

Josh
I'm endlessly fascinated by surfing, so having the chance to read the autobiography of one of the best surfers in the world was enjoyable and informative. Granted, this will not win any awards for best writing, but what it does do is provide the reader a view into a culture and sport that for many is on the fringe and is considered the sport of potheads and hippies. Slater goes into great detail about surf boards, the different types of waves, surfing conditions around the world, the highs and l...more
Jessica
Pipe Dreams is a biography of surfing world champion Kelly Slater. This was the first sports related book I'd read, and it's refreshing and also interesting to follow the life of an athlete whom I've admired since day one. We see the private life of Kelly Slater, beginning with his childhood in Cocoa Beach, Florida. With international success and fame, Slater learns to stay focused on his athletic career, and avoid getting sidetracked by women, booze, partying, and millions of dollars. I recomme...more
Melody
In my opinion, this book just added to the stereotype of surfers. This makes Kelly Slater look arrogant and doesn't give surfers such a good name. Kelly Slater is one of the best surfers in the world, though this does do a good job of letting you know he is just a normal person, it makes him look like he doesn't think he is. This book drastically lowered my respect for Kelly Slater.
Alice
This book had great potential. What Kelly Slater did for the sport of surfing and the epic career he continues to sustain make for a a story for the masses - much like Tiger Woods has for golf and Lance Armstrong has for cycling. Unfortunately, the book's voice has the pizazz of a resume and you opt not to pass it along to your non-surfing friends.
Hai Nguyen
This is a book I couldn't put down. The book is by 7 time world champion surfer, Kelly Slater. The east coast kid from Cocoa Beach is good at telling about his past. He continues to strive to be above his game.
Tyler
Pipe dreams by kelly slater is a great autobiograghry.It tells the story of Kelly and his brother from how they lived and grew up to how kelly made it big. The first chapter was a bit boring fro me but once i progressed through the book like the hunger games it started to get interesting. Whats great about this book Kelly Slater pipe dreams is that it's not one big story it's little stories making up the big story.For instantsKelly was talkiung about that he was scared of the ghost inside his cl...more
Jake Johnson
The novel "Pipe Dreams" by Kelly Slater is one of my favorite autobiographies. This autobiography is about how Kelly Slater had to deal with hardships between his family, what things he did as a kid, living in Coco Beach, his surf contests, and how he became one of the best surfers of all time! During this book Kelly had hard ships with his family because his father had drinking issues so kelly and his brothers often had to help his mom out with a lot of things because his dad couldn't. When Ke...more
Katrin
I read this to "close a gap" in my surfbook collection. Kelly Slater is probably the most important and most successful surfer around, and the way he constantly (and still) stays at the top as well as all his style innovations certainly deserve admiration.
But this book is really bad. Despite the fact that Slater had hired a co-author to help him write it, it is bad in style AND in content. The style resembles an essay by a ten-year old: The sentences are as short as possible and are all construc...more
Dannii
Kelly Slater (now 8-time world champ and going for 9 this year) is admirable, honest, and reflective. This book doesn't shy away from difficult times in his life, his mistakes, nor his competitiveness, but it talks about all of these things with a positivity and a understanding that you learn from these things and move forward. He also doesn't focus on being a "victim" of his circumstances (alcoholism, crappy Florida waves, being little), but he poetically (and humorously) talks about growing up...more
Kay
Kelly Slater tells the story of how he became the world's best story. The way he weaves his life story is absolutely intriguing.
Bex Quin
A great read that shows how Kelly is such a good athlete
Rob Clarke
Awesome, really feels like you're talking with the man himself.
nikki
I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction books (hence the 3-star rating) but this was a nice look into the life and struggle of not only Kelly Slater, but the gradual steps that surfing has taken since the 80's. It has an interesting view into areas of his personal life and his own struggles with family, love, and overcoming obstacles. Not the best book you'll ever read about surfing, but definitely recommended for Slater fans and anyone who loves making those 6am runs to the beach.
Toni
The book "Pipe Dreams" by kelly slater is really good, and is very discriptive about all the acomplishments that he has done in his life, and that he wants to do in the future. Also it mentions alot about him and what he likes to do/did when he is not competing/ on the world tour (mon his spare time. It also shows how he got to where he is today and what he did to do it. So it is overall a good book.
Mike
Unless you are a Slater groupie pass this one up. It reads like a commercial for Kelly Slater inc, and aside from a funny anecdote about using an old wooden door for a board at one of the north shore breaks, this books is nothing special at all.

Although he does get points for Pam Anderson...just saying.
Cole Cintas
Oct 18, 2013 Cole Cintas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am learning about Kelly Slater's journey from an everyday surfer to the worlds best. I like this topic because I come from a family of surfers and I like to surf myself. I already know a lot about this topic. The book is from Kelly Slater's perspective which makes it interesting.
Lisa
It was a breath of fresh air to know that even Kelly Slater, a multiple time ASP world champion, has obstacles he had to face in terms of fear and himself. I also enjoyed the fact that he didn't bullshit, was willing to admit his embarrassing moments and to his mistakes.
Jamie
This was another fluff book for me. Kelly Slater is an awesome surfer, and really hot, but not so much an award-winning author. That having been said, I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and relaxing.
A perfect summer read!
Finding Fifth
He is human after all. Probably the one of the most selfish people I have ever read the biography of. I can t say that I found anything 'inspirational' in his story. World Surfing Champ pfffffft....World Selfish Chump!
Jeremy
Pretty good story of Kelly's life up to 2003 or so. Even non-surfers could probably appreciate it. It does tend to focus a bit too much on competitions and results and such but I guess thats how Kelly's mind works.
Lisa
This book was funny, though I am not sure if it was KS humor coming through or the person who helped him write it. Over all it was a nice look into pro surfing and how it is an under rated sport.
seth coleman
Bomb book. One of the first books I ever read in my life and pumped me to win some surf competitions . . . even though i lived in Utah.
Will Connor
The book Pipe Dreams: A Surfers Journey is a great book that tells people about the ups and downs in Kelly Slaters life.
Maura
Interesting story, just not the best written book ever. Definitely recommend for fans of Kelly Slater.
Matthew
a little dissapointing when a hero turns out to be a bonehead. and surfing is not that fun to read.
Liz
I'm not normally into autobiographies. I just read this one because it was lying around. It was good.
Robert
I enjoyed this read and learning about Kelly's child hood and Florida and his exciting life as a pro surfer
Patrick
pipe dreams is an amazing insight into a surfers jorney through life and the world tour.
Janie Franklin
Really enjoyed this book, it was better than I thought it was going to be.
Wyatt Sims
It was a good book I learned a lot more about Kelly that i didnt know already
  • Eddie Would Go: The Story of Eddie Aikau, Hawaiian Hero and Pioneer of Big Wave Surfing
  • Caught Inside: A Surfer's Year on the California Coast