Start by marking “Max, the Dog That Refused to Die” as Want to Read:
Max, the Dog That Refused to Die

Max, the Dog That Refused to Die

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Max The Dog That Refused To Die retells the true adventure of Max, who becomes lost and severely injured but makes his way over rugged terrain reaching a cabin where he is befriended and rushed to a veterinarian. Almost totally emaciated from his ordeal, Max's chances for recovery are slim. Still, his indomitable will bolsters him against all obstacles. A tag with his owne ...more
Published January 1st 1979 by Alpine Publications

To ask other readers questions about Max, the Dog That Refused to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max, the Dog That Refused to Die

Wendy
Okay, so a lot of this was fictionalized. But the story itself is true, and it ends happily for once!

I read it as a kid, and never really shook my fondness for it, despite its simplistic writing and the fact that the parts with Max between falling off the cliff and being rescued are all conjecture. I think this was the teeny tiny book that caused me to start liking Dobermans. My first love is still, and always will be, German shepherds, but I'm undoubtedly fond of Dobermans.
Julia Brumfield
A charming book about a dog who after going out with his family found himself in a situation that just seemed to get worse. The author takes us on what she thinks may have happened to her dog and what it took to get him back home then onto the road of recovery.

The writing is short and easy so good for young readers even while moving back and forth from the family to the dog. The beautiful detailed illustrations, especially the one with the coyotes, are just the right prescription to break-up t
Niki
This was the FIRST book I ever read. I must have been in 2nd or 3rd grade at the time. I bought it with my own money from the RIF drive that visited our school once a month. I loved this book! This is the book that turned me onto reading.
Luzali
Sí pude leerlo en inglés. Está bien facilito jjijijij es para niños
Me encantó la historia, además al final Max tiene que usar zapto ortopédico por que las piernas le quedan de tamaños diferentes y me conmovió. Si ya me gustaban los doberman ahora me gustan más.
Edy Gies
I've always loved this book. As a child I read it many times and it is one of those books that was influential to me as a reader. It is short but contains an exciting story of survival and the will to survive. It also made me really want a Doberman pincher.
Andrea Corazon
Oh God! This was one of my 1st books ever. Read this when I was 8 or 9, mom bought it for me. Made me wept so much. We had a dog you know, and if you love animals dearly, this is the best book for you --- or maybe not you but your kids. Totally recommend. :)
Shannon
I read this as a child and that I can still remember it as being an amazing, moving story speaks volumes. I'm excited to share Max's tale of bravery and perseverance with my own children!
Gabriel Wallis
I actually enjoyed this book. There's nothing like a good dog story... a story about a dog surviving against all odds. Max went through a lot in this book. And, yes, he refused to die. The author, Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne, should have delved into Max's amazing story a little deeper, though, instead of telling her own personal story. Don't get me wrong. It was wonderful to hear her hopes and prayers about Max, but I wanted to read more of Max's story and how he survived. Maybe I'm just complaining. ...more
Mercedes Calabro
Really sweet story.
Dena
This was a true story about a dog with a tremendous will to live and the family who loved him and those that loved him because they had a heart for dogs. From the moment I started it, I knew I'd be giving this to Sarah as the vets are some of the true heroes of the story.
Amy
When I was a kid, I read this book over and over again. I'm pretty sure that I still have my copy! Poor Max went through many ordeals but there's a happy ending.
Amy
I read this book many years ago, and it really touched my heart how Max never gave up. Sometimes I believe animals have an inner strength that humans can learn from.
Donna Hunt
Great story based upon a real dog who was lost in the woods and thru all odds survived to 'tell' the tale.
Kate
This book has brought tears to my eyes since the first time I read it, many years ago.
Marilyn
I love a good dog book and since Dobies are my favorite I really enjoyed this one.
Desiree
I loved this book when I was a kid.
Sarah Kelaita
Read it as a kid and really liked it
Kaylee
Jess
Jess added it
Jul 07, 2015
Carol Jeanette
Carol Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Jacqueline Uline
Jacqueline Uline marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
McKenna
McKenna marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Hilda
Hilda added it
Jul 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shurik: A Story of the Siege of Leningrad Max: The Dog That Refused to Die; And, Pepper's Ordeal The Awakening The Chaperone Li'l Ol' Charlie: A True Story about a Man and His Love for All Living Things