Start by marking “The Beginner's Guide for the Recently Deceased: A Comprehensive Travel Guide to the Only Inevitable Destination.” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A comprehensive and humorous travel guide to the Other Side from this Australian author.
Published February 8th 2004 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Beginner's Guide for the Recently Deceased, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginner's Guide for the Recently Deceased

Natalie Corrigan
A good friend lent me this book, and after reading Staume's Beginners Guide to Sex in the Afterlife (and loving every bit of it), I dug into this title with vigor. Cannot say I was quite as pleased however. As with his other book, Sex in the Afterlife, he tackles the questions of where we go after we pass from a metaphorical standpoint, from viewing what nature does and applying the hermetical belief of 'as below so above'. What he lacks in his toolbelt here however is actual spiritual evidence, ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
I confess that the reason I bought this book is because its title reminded me of that book in the movie Beetlejuice that was so helpful to Gina Davis and Alec Baldwin.
First: the good. The author actually does begin the book addressing the reader as though he were actually writing for a dead person. This is nice quirky touch that adds to the humor of the book.
Now: the rest. The obvious problem with this book is the question of, presuming David Staume was alive when he wrote the thing, how could
Sinaminviv
My gosh this book is hilarious and extraordinary at the very same time. I can't believe I didn't take the hint with the Betelgeuse movie and Google the book title sooner!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading it again in the future. I agree with many things that David Staume explains so very explicitly.

I can't really do this book justice, please, read the first few pages and decide for yourself!!
Georgia Butler
I loved this book! Reading it will make you want to be a better person--not from fear of fire and brimstone but because, according to Staume, we'll get exactly what we deserve, no more, no less, which is an exhilarating idea! I've read many different religious philosophies but have never found such a refreshing (and often humorous) take on the after life. It's a short book, easy to read. Do yourself a favor and get a copy.
Andrew Porteus
Very disappointing - I was expecting something along the nature of Beetlejuice, due to a review I'd read, and instead it turned out to be an exploration of the afterlife in astral projection, karmic and transmodification terms. Oh, well, off to the next book!
David
Dec 06, 2008 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
A fascinating and (deliberately) humorous Theosophical travel guide to the physical, astral and further realms. Whether you accept some, all or none of its premises, this makes for an engaging read.
Autumn
i honestly bought it because i was so fascinated with the book from beetlejuice. it does give some good insight into what it may be like in the astral plane and other various states of existence.
Nichelle
Loved it! An interesting take on what happens in the afterlife... :)
Heather
THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!!!
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 13, 2014
Jenny Foley
Jenny Foley marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Sofía
Sofía marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Terah Magerstaedt
Terah Magerstaedt marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Kanzul
Kanzul marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Samanta
Samanta marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Beginner's Guide to Sex in the Afterlife: An Exploration of the Extraordinary Potential of Sexual Energy The Atheist Afterlife: The Odds of an Afterlife Reasonable. the Odds of Meeting God There Nil The Atheist Afterlife