Start by marking “A Game Of Thrones preview” as Want to Read:
A Game Of Thrones preview

A Game Of Thrones preview

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  2,550 ratings  ·  120 reviews
This is a preview edition of A Game of Thrones, and contains only the opening chapters. This edition is NOT the entire book.
Preview Edition
Published January 1st 1996 by Voyager

Jennifer Lynn Alvarez
I can't give it less than five stars. It's impeccable even if it's not your thing. It has a driving plot, believable characters, a believable world and it's well-written. George R.R. Martin is a master of showing--not telling! The violence isn't gratuitous, in my opinion. The "love" scenes are understated.

I read the book after watching the HBO series and wish I had read it first--but HBO is how I heard about the book. They did such a fantastic job staying true to the novel, that I wasn't left w
Robin Edman
Yes, I finally joined the rest of this world and read this book. It's quite possibly the most skillfully written bit of useless not-quite-fantasy that I will ever read. It's like reading a history of the Wars of the Roses without the sanctimonious I'm-so-educated feeling that goes along with reading things that we are "supposed to" read.

It's a fun read, though, and the characters, though mostly disgusting, are very well-drawn and believable. It is my fondness for the little dude Tyrion that wil
Paul
When I decided to read this book I expected it to be good as it was made into a series but I didn’t expect it to be this good. The way Martin goes away from the normal fantasy writing style, in my opinion at least, helped him make a more engrossing story. Also, the fact that he had more than one main character forced the reader to pay attention, which wasn’t hard, in order to understand whose inner dialogue it was you were reading. Now, I’ve read stories before with multiple characters where the ...more
Damien Franco
Wow. I cannot believe I waited this long to read this book. It thrusts you into such a convincing world and story line rich with deep characters. I had a very hard time putting it down.

I immediately ordered the television series and now have the second book in hand. I cannot wait to start it!
Cheyne Willingham
When J.R.R.Tolkien was in the trenches WWI he saw with his own eyes that magic had left the world & we truly were being disenchanted from what it meant to be human, & to have hope. So Tolkien set out to write a legend for the modern English reader to take part in. He created a massive universe were magic was real again & good always defeated evil in the end. Thus Lord of the Rings was born to bring magic back to the world and changing the world for good. George R.R. Martin blew that ...more
Debbie
Wow, incredible writer! There are some authors thats just reel you in and you find yourself so woven into the story that you dream of it and think of it in your waking hours as if it is actually happening. I was lost for the fiirst few chapters as there are alot of charactors and many, many places...in fact an entire world to learn. But somehow Mr Martin pulls it off and I am swallowed into the story. i am there. It may be fantasy but if feels all too real.
kING, QUEENS, INCEST, PLOTS, SUB PLOTS,
Pat
I didn't want to like this - too much press, and I don't typically enjoy fantasy. But I have to say this knocked my socks off. It's an old-fashioned adventure yarn, complete with knights, brave women and an evil queen. I was completely enthralled.
JMRZ

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, is the first book in the series A Song of Fire and Ice (title perhaps an echo of a well loved Robert Frost poem..."some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice...").

The book trots along at a rapid pace. Each chapter is short and focuses on the trials and tribulations of one of a handful of characters. Although short, each chapter still manages to wrap up with some cliff hanger specific to the character of th
Jeny Robertson
This was an absolutely fantastic book. At no point during the story was I bored or ready to skip any parts. I loved the character development of every single character even if they were horrible people! I love the fact that each chapter is a different character's perspective on the events taking place. I cant choose a favorite character because even the bad ones bring certain things to the story that I like. I really enjoyed the direwolves in the story, how they protect the Stark children and al ...more
A huge, old-fashioned, I-can't-wait-to-read-what-happens-next sort of a novel. I had resisted starting this series. I feared it would be another sword opera with a lot of mind-numbing battle detail -- and the books are SO long. But I knew that I would want to take a look at the HBO series at some point and, in my world, you must read the book before you watch the movie so I started, repeating my mantra that life is too short - and there are too many books in the world - to waste any time finishi ...more
Bala Ve
I admit that this is one of the books, which made me think that may be I should just quit my job, sleep, food and everything else happening in my life just to read this entire series. One such magical book transporting to a world of fantasy. The depth of the characters and way of writing ufffff no word to describe. And every story ends at a nail biting point where I had to literally flip through the book to find how much longer I must wait to read about the continuation.

Except for the character
Mike
This is a very good book. It reminds me of the old Dragonlance and Conan books, but more sophisticated. I was disappointed with the supernatural twist at the end. Too much I think. But the story is still good and the characters are interesting. It's an easy read too, and has a fast pace, so it's hard to put down.
Asha Gill
I thought A Game of Thrones was an amazing book, with a lot of detail and decryption. I loved how he created such evil characters and such nice characters to give such a great contrast. The plot line sometimes got tricky to follow but I loved how he structured the book; as in changing who's point of view it was from.
Kamalia
Although it took me 3 weeks to finish(the book is damn thick), i was really gripped from the start. Ive watched all the episodes of the tv series, and after reading this book i realised that i never fully understood what i had watched. Reading the book completely compliments the tv series, making me understand the plot more clearly and dive into the characters' mind and thoughts deeply. Thats what makes the book better than the tv series ; how you're able to explore more about the background sto ...more
George Richard
Read this last winter after watching the HBO series. I was amazed how much was there, I would have thought the series was 2 or 3 books. Read the second book right away and will probably read the third next.
Martina
Una trama avvincente e dei personaggi niente male completamente rovinati da uno stile pesante, a tratti fin troppo brusco, a tratti inutilmente barocco. Forse è colpa della traduzione e potrei considerare di dargli una possibilità in lingua, ma sono molto scoraggiata vista la direzione che la serie sta prendendo.

An exciting plot and a whole bunch of promising characters completely ruined by an unsufferable style: sometimes too "rough", sometimes annoyingly baroque. Maybe the Italian translation
Myles O'mara
I liked the book very much until the tournament. After the tournament, the plot seemed lazily written. Unless the festivities at Kings Landing had disoriented the social fabric of the hierarchy, I don't see why the writing itself seemed disoriented. I felt that the writing began to substitute the development of tension (which had been wonderfully intriguing until then) with a disheartening, writer's struggle to create physical violence in as few pages as possible. I had not completely forgiven t ...more
Lisa
was recomeneded not to waste my time
Vic
Highly enjoyable and beautifully rendered. Having watched HBO's mini-series by the same name last year I was already familiar with the story and eager to gain further insight into George Martin's fantasy world. What I wasn't expecting was how faithful HBO had been in following the book. Chapters became parts of episodes and scenes from the book were brought to life and in some cases enhanced the reading experience. The two were as one, the visual on the screen and in the mind's eye.

Wonderfully
John Eich
Reading this series is a bit like watching a game of Risk in slow-motion. Telling the ginormous tale via multiple narrators is a deep, and richly layered way to tell a story, but it is also like running a marathon in micrometers. And yes, it's a stunning fantasy series that draws positive comparisons with Tolkien.

The thread count on this immense tapestry is mind blowing. You can practically smell the horses. This is not always a good thing, however. Martin clearly has a medieval food fetish, and
Ted Bangay
Jun 07, 2012 Ted Bangay rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only lovers of the genre.
Recommended to Ted by: My son, damn him!
I haven't ever been seriously into this genre. Ok, yes I tried it once, but that was a high school thing, I didn't inhale, and it was nothing more than an experiment. There. I've declared my bias.

I started GoT and got about 125 kobo-pages in but was so lost in the multitude of characters and families that I started over. What? Ned and Eddard are the same person?

Although it made sense the second time through, Game of Thrones left me cold. I mean, winter IS coming after all. I agree that it did h
Lari Don
I have a (bad?) habit of resisting books which everyone else is raving about, so all the fuss about the TV adaptation of this series put me off a bit. But I write fantasy, so I thought I probably owed it to my professional self to do some weightlifting and actually at least start the massive thing. And I was lost in it immediately. This is like no other fantasy I've ever read. There aren't really any adjectives left to describe it after all the other reviews out there. But I think for me the mai ...more
Ann
I'll admit it, i became completely hooked on the HBO mini-series before I was aware of the book's existence. After a good friend set me straight and I rushed out for the first book (and it's subsequent ones), i was thrilled to note how faithful the book had been portrayed in the HBO series. The characters are extremely well-developed, and Martin never fails to end each chapter leaving the reader wanting more. He pays particular detail to the clothing and coats of arms, (sometimes exhaustibly so) ...more
Janese Jackson
There's probably nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this book, and I really hate gushing reviews. I will just say that I am kicking myself for waiting so long to read this series. I actually avoided it, thinking it was too long, and I have too many other books to read; I actually passed on a chance to have the first 5 books for free. Idiot!!!
Now I'm an uber-fan just like 90% of others who have read this book. Starting the second book today.
Jess
What an amazing read this was! I had started out watching the tv series and now that I'm all caught up I decided to delve into the book series while waiting for the new season. I was definitely surprised at how captivating this first novel was; it is the essence of a "page turner". It brought so much more to the characters and story lines between them, I have already recommended it to many friends. Just completely riveting, I can't wait until I get the next book.
Ridgewalker
Jun 18, 2012 Ridgewalker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in fantasy
My only negative about this book is that all the names, houses, geography are very hard to keep straight when you are reading it on an iPad. Yeah, I could flip back and forth to the Appendix and Map but sorry, too much trouble. About half way through I was enough grounded for it to keep from getting in the way, but really? It is unnecessary, for me at any rate.

Having said that, I found the book excellent for the genre. The action and tension kept increasing throughout the book. The protagonist w
Beau
Ever wondered what the medieval times were like? Everyone wants power and the only way people get power is if they have a daughter who is pretty, their family would come into power. Without that, their family would be nothing. Kings and queens ruled the world and with treats of other tribes planning an attack, death is certain.
Eddard Stark, the Lord of Winterfell is summoned by the king to be a head advisor while his sons and daughters are spread across the seven kingdoms. Some run wild and free
Ramya Rao
This book is really awsome!.It has got such amazing characters(Tyrion,duh?)and its so highly detailed that you just can't put the book down.This is what epic fantasy means. simply fell in love George R.R Martin's work and this book is the reason i fell in love with fantasy.
Alfaz Ahmed
Gripping tale of the seven Imaginary kingdoms. Blood and betrayal is the essence of this book, ends with dragons birth and a lot of questions. A must read for the epicness and entertainment factors.
Steve May
Great. I haven't read a lot of science fiction (I *think* that's the right genre), but it was really good. I'm going to read book 2 next and I haven't seen the HBO series.
  • A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 2
  • A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • Game of Thrones
  • A Clash Of Kings: The Game Of Thrones Rpg Supplement
  • BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set #1 (Wheel of Time, #1-3)
  • Gutenberg the Geek
  • Rearview (7 Hours #1)
  • Doomsday Deck (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #8)
  • The Wounded Storyteller: Body, Illness, and Ethics
  • The Hummingbird Wizard (Annie Szabo #1)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • Operation Desolation: The Case of the Anonymous Bank Defacement
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)
  • Caramba!: A Tale Told in Turns of the Card
  • The Living Image
  • The Honourable Company: a History of the English East India Company
  • The Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-3)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)