Start by marking “Dare to Serve: How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others” as Want to Read:
Dare to Serve: How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others

Dare to Serve: How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others

When Cheryl Bachelder was named CEO of Popeye s, the chain was in dire straights. Guest traffic had been declining for seven years. Same store sales were negative. The company and its franchisees were practically coming to blows. Today, Popeye s market share has grown from 14% to 21%. Margins have increased from 17% to 21%. And the franchisees are so delighted with the ...more
Published March 16th 2015 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Serve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Serve

Jeff
Sep 26, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-book-list
Fantastic book on leadership by one of my favorite leaders, Cheryl Bachelder.

Some take-aways:

Our belief is that serving people well would generate better business results.

Decide to think positively about the people you lead. Decide to be a leader who serves others over self-interest.

"The price of greatness is responsibility." Churchill
Lisa Kosak
Mar 18, 2015 Lisa Kosak rated it it was amazing
For the past few years I've really focused on my leadership style and through some soul searching, I've been able to define who I am, what I stand for, my values, and how I can help others. Serving others as a leader is like serving my gardens this time of year. Preparing for growth and seeing how I can serve to do so. I have found some powerful books and articles on the "new" leadership style which has really impacted me - Servant Leadership.

"There's nothing fundamentally wrong with our country
Becky Robinson
Mar 30, 2015 Becky Robinson rated it it was amazing
I truly devoured this book. The story of Cheryl's turnaround of Popeyes is inspiring; the results are astounding.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to lead and serve well.
Jane
May 27, 2015 Jane rated it it was amazing
Dare to Serve: How to Drive Superior Results by Serving Others by Cheryl Bachelder

Do you remember from the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, that one of the habits was “Begin with the end in mind”? Well, I’ve always wanted to begin writing with an ending, so this is how I will begin. This is what I learned from this book and why I want to share it with you. Stick with me here because my reason for presenting the final chapter as my entrance paragraph is tactical.

Call to Action
In the e
Rafael Ramirez
Nov 21, 2016 Rafael Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Excelente libro sobre liderazgo. La autora nos recuerda que el verdadero liderazgo es aquel que está al servicio de los demás. Además de ser lo correcto moralmente, se verá reflejado en mejores resultados para la empresa. Lo más interesante es que este libro no es un estudio teórico sino la descripción de la experiencia de la propia autora como alta ejecutiva y actualmente CEO de la cadena de comida rápida Popeye's. Es impactante cómo, siguiendo esta manera de pensar, logró darle la vuelta a una ...more
Jun 27, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
To start, I have a Master's Degree in Leadership and have read a number of leadership novels, periodicals, and papers. I had found resonance in my life with Stephen Covey, but nothing has lead to as much clarity for me as Cheryl Bachelder's Dare to Serve, which I was lucky enough to win a copy to read through the Goodreads Book Giveaway.

About four years ago I tried to describe my path as a servant-leader to a scoffing colleague that was a supervisor with me. She balked at the word "servant" and
Devin
Jul 04, 2016 Devin rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, leadership
Bachelder's work is just what the 21st Century business world needs. Especially as we selfish millennials take over management positions in the workforce, it's wise counsel that we ought to use our position of influence to strategically serve others to maximize the performance of entire teams instead of maximizing one's own reputation.

Not only does Bachelder have good things to say, but she demonstrates early on that she has implemented these principles and seen incredible return. She spends mos
William "Spig"
Jan 14, 2016 William "Spig" rated it really liked it
Wow! This was a leadership class, full view into how the curriculum was built, and year's worth of CEO level coaching in a single book. Dare To Serve (DTS) is a quick yet deep book of leadership wisdom. It is not simply a memoir of how Ms. Bachelder turned around Popeye's chicken. It is a sit down - have a cup of coffee with a true culture builder. She uses some of the successes and challenges that she has had in her leadership career as reinforcement to her servant leadership principles.

My favo
L.A.
Jul 31, 2015 L.A. rated it liked it
This is a question-driven book that asks the reader to pause and reflect a lot on his/her journey to leadership. As such, it will appeal to the kinds of people who like to "do" their way through books. The kernel of Bachelder's philosophy is that a great leader doesn't hog the spotlight, but instead is humble and consistently looks for ways to serve not only the organization, but also the people s/he leads. Nothing new to those in the non-profit sector, but a decidedly different approach in the ...more
Kat Olmstead
Jul 14, 2015 Kat Olmstead rated it it was amazing
After winning this book on Goodreads First Reads I dug in quickly. I found this book very helpful. This book can be used for everyday settings. I was able to use the writings in this book to help myself get ahead while doing everyday things for everyday people.
Great writing and very useful! I highly recommend it!
May 11, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Rated: A

I heard Cheryl Bachelder give her presentation on Dare to Serve at the Leader Board of Dallas Theological Seminary. Her story and the story of the Popeye's turnaround were fascinating. Here is a CEO who lives the truth of her walk with God. She serves as His hands to others. Great leadership. Leaders seek to serve.
Kayla Hollatz
Sep 06, 2016 Kayla Hollatz rated it liked it
The principles of great servant leadership were there but I found it hard to relate to as it was highly geared toward CEO mentality. Much of it was also about franchisees and the restaurant business which I'm not all that interested in. There were a few parts where I nodded along but as a solo entrepreneur, it wasn't quite for me.
Kristen Court
Jun 26, 2015 Kristen Court rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Cheryl's approach to leadership is both humbling and inspiring. She is able to take leadership principles and turn them on their head, bringing a fresh perspective to how leadership can be revolutionary and definitively your own. She is a woman of daring resolve and great achievement, and I loved learning through her lessons and stories. This is definitely a book I will revisit in years to come.
Kevin Eikenberry
This book is written by Cheryl Bachelder, the CEO of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc., so you might think of it as a typical CEO leadership book.

Think again.

- See more at: http://blog.kevineikenberry.com/leade...
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Quick read, but full of really good examples of the servant leadership model. The author often mentions that a good leader is humble and does not toot their own horn, but she wrote a book about her own successes. I guess it is easiest to write about what you know.
Tim Good
Apr 09, 2016 Tim Good rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
In interesting book taking the traditional concepts of "servant leadership" into a new form a "Dare to Serve" A interesting perspective on ways that a leader can bring the best of others out by serving the interests of others first. An easy read, with fairly short and concise chapters.
Trey McKnight
Dec 15, 2015 Trey McKnight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Great book with lots of practical principles. Handy reflection section in the back to revisit her servant principles. Would recommend this to anyone who leads anyone.
Rob
Apr 10, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
I love this book. Dare To Serve...or Servant Leadership...either way this is what leaders in the 21st Century must lead like.
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Lana
Lana rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
boris beckert
boris beckert rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Margaret Wanjiku
Margaret Wanjiku rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2016
Chris Anderson
Chris Anderson rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Wendy Knutson
Wendy Knutson rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Zann Wong
Zann Wong rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Little Red Book of Wisdom
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Coach: The A. L. Williams Story
  • The Leadership Handbook: 26 Critical Lessons Every Leader Needs
  • Mad Genius: A Manifesto for Entrepreneurs
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • Whatever the Cost: Facing Your Fears, Dying to Your Dreams, and Living Powerfully
  • Success Is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices; Change Your Life
  • The Game of Numbers
  • The Decision Maker
  • Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance
  • Toughen Up!
  • Making Vision Stick
  • 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class: The Thought Processes, Habits and Philosophies of the Great Ones
  • Selling Value: Key Principles of Value-Based Selling
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability
Cheryl A. Bachelder has served as CEO of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. since 2007. Ms. Bachelder has led a remarkable turnaround of the company's financial results with a compelling strategic roadmap for growth and an inspiring purpose and set of principles. The results - industry leading performance for the franchise owners and the shareholders.

Ms. Bachelder has more than 35 years of experience
More about Cheryl A. Bachelder...

“The leader must have both – the courage to take the people to a daring destination and the humility to selflessly serve others on the journey.” 2 likes
“Leadership is not about your ambition. It is about bringing out the ambitions of your team.” 2 likes