Start by marking “Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female” as Want to Read:
Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"The women in this collection were asked, simply, to recall a significant memory of growing up female. They responded generously, with intimate stories of their lives. Instead of the superficial prepackaged blurbs of TV sound bites and press releases, they told stories from their hearts; they told secrets never spoken before. They revealed themselves through stories of per ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Hachette Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Myself

Callie
Apr 18, 2010 Callie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Callie by: Kyra
Shelves: heartwarming
This review, although it may not be the most eloquent, it shall be the most beautiful and touching you have read in years. (just like the womans full figure). But it shall be in poem format, so PREPARE YOURSELF.

Growing up female, hard may it be
Is an experience that may never come free
We may struggle to live in a world of "perfection"
But in fact this perfection in nothing more than deception.

Every day people fake who they are
Pretend they are smart, better by far.
But everyone knows that this is ju
Kari
Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female is an interesting read. It is entertaining and uplifting with stories from famous and infamous women. These women talk of everything from first period to domestic violence. I disagree with some of the analysis these women give. Growing up female means something different and manifests in different ways.
Recently, several of my friends and I were discussing when we figured out we were feminists. I always knew; I always knew that I was equal with b
Chenice
This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. As an 18 year old, I was unsure that the 'reflections' in the book would be useful for the period of my life I am currently at, but it is very well written and all of the reflections were touching, motivational and inspiring.

All too often men and even women put everything down to gender: I'm a female; I'll cook, I'm a male; I'll work. It shouldn't be like that.

I definitely recommend this book to those seeking inspiration and advice.
Annaka
A book of short stories by famous women. Full of inspiring lives and wise women.
Rozana
The book collects written pieces by different famous women who have had the courage to embark on a self-accepting & feminine-embracing journey. Women like Maya Angelou, Meryl Steep have insightful words & wise teachings that I can still recall years after reading the book.
Again, it looks at womanhood or becoming yourself from a Western/American perspective.
Danielle Louise
The variety of essays that make up this book makes it a difficult book to review. Some are better than others, but of course which ones are "better" will likely change drastically from reader to reader.

I think of this book as being aimed at maybe the 16-20 age group, and I think my reaction would have been more positive overall if I had read it when I was younger. I did, however, find it interesting to read the essays and respond to them as I do now but also think about how I would have responde
Virginia
Interesting reflections by well known women---some I recognized some not. Did seem repetitious
Melissa.
there are a few decent bits of female wisdom in there, but there are more about simply growing up. we all know that everyone has different experiences throughout life, and this book highlights some from these various women. it is interesting overall, but it is limited as the stories are trying to be really profound and end up covering too much ground and going all over the place... if you are seeking pure feminine wisdom i think there are better sources.
Kate Thompson
With such a variety of women and experiences, the passages range from just okay to excellent. I would recommend it to any woman because there are passages for everyone. I probably read this over a year total just reading a couple essays/statements at a time and is served its purpose of reminding me of female strength throughout.
Megan
I picked this up at a used book store seeing as I'm always searching for that perfect feminist book :) I enjoyed this one. The collection of writings is provided by a wide variety of women from all walks of life, giving you a small glimpse into a variety of experiences and worlds.
Katherine
Oct 28, 2007 Katherine is currently reading it
am loving this so far. brooke shields, maya angelou and many other celeb females write 3-4 page essays on their thoughts on growing up female. written by gene shallit's daughter, named willa after author willa cather.
Amberly
This book is a little too "chic-lit" for me, but oddly enough, I enjoyed it. It kind of gave me a sense of pride for being female, I suppose you could say.
Colleen
Eh...it was ok...kind of boring and monotonous at some points...some of the contributors were very interesting though
Liz
I really enjoyed this book--a great read for adolescent females.
Nathaly
Jun 22, 2009 Nathaly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Emily Kish
pretty boring. found myself skipping pages.
Carrie
Nov 03, 2008 Carrie marked it as to-read
my students should read this!!
Satenik
Satenik marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Lindsey Albrektson
Lindsey Albrektson marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Caitlin Doyle
Caitlin Doyle marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Tali Main
Tali Main marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Tanisha Shetty
Tanisha Shetty marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Lore Van Achter
Lore Van Achter marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • Reading Women: How the Great Books of Feminism Changed My Life
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties
  • The Portable Sixties Reader
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Sexism in America: Alive, Well, and Ruining Our Future
  • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • History of the Breast
  • My Little Red Book
  • The Malay Dilemma
  • Letters to a Young Artist
  • To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism
  • My First Year as a Teacher
  • An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work)
Life Cast: Behind the Mask Bez makijażu. Prawdziwe historie kobiet

“To grow up is to stop putting blame on parents” 30 likes
“Try to see yourself with power. Not power so that you can get even with anybody else. Power so that you can become even with your vision- Maya Angelo” 20 likes