Start by marking “Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Presenting a historically organized introduction to philosophy, this work provides the student with a working knowledge of the development of Western philosophy. It covers various periods of philosophy, lists philosophers alphabetically and chronologically on the end-papers, and features a glossary of key concepts.
Published November 25th 2002 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Socrates to Sartre and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socrates to Sartre and Beyond

Maica
Oct 20, 2015 Maica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
A detailed and well-written exposition of selected philosophies in the Western Tradition. Not very comprehensive though, but a recommended primer to some of the major names and themes in philosophy.
Bob Nichols
Aug 10, 2013 Bob Nichols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best overview of western philosophers I've come across. The summaries are clear and concise; they hit all of the major themes; and they stay true to each philosopher's body of thought, without Stumpf interjecting his "own critical evaluation."

The book's subtitle is "A History of Philosophy," but the book is only about philosophy in the West. That point is acknowledged by Stumpf in his preface to the first edition. In that preface, Stumpf ties the thought of subsequent philosophers t
Christopher Wyatt
As a general textbook on Western philosophy, a good overview. Depth is sacrificed to cover so many schools of thought. There are some chapters on individuals, when appropriate. I would use this text with undergraduates or some advanced high school students for a basic introductory course in Western philosophy. It is not intended to replace reading the major works.
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Great history of philosophy reference book. The best text I ever bought after college. Love the quick reference guide on the inside covers--front list philosophers alphabetically, back is chronologic. It was a splurge, but we're surprised with how often we reach for it.
Brittany
Apr 15, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Philosophy Students
Recommended to Brittany by: David Weiskopf
Shelves: textbooks
This book has helped me survive my first two university Philosophy courses. The book contains fairly short sections on various philosophers as well as comprehensive explanations of their philosophies and lives. It is a great supplement to the primary sources.
Jenny
May 29, 2013 Jenny added it
Shelves: oxford, philosophy
Such a helpful book for clear summaries of philosophies and their historical, cultural, and ideological contexts. And it really does cover Socrates to Sartre, as the title says, which is convenient to have all in one trim volume. I was introduced to this book at NSA, but it is proving its worth again. My next grad school adventure is a thorough tour of imagination's role in Hume, and as I have a more natural bent toward poetry rather than philosophy, I will be clinging to Stumpf's hand through t ...more
Andrey Pelinio
I want to read
Kennethllait
Nov 23, 2014 Kennethllait rated it really liked it
i dont know
Barbara
Mar 18, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
One of the best nonfiction books I've read or owned. This proved very helpful when taking college courses in logic and philosophy. It's basically an A to Z guide to great philosophers throughout human history and their ideas that helped shape human knowledge and science. Bonus: it's organized chronologically.
Nick Smith
Sep 27, 2013 Nick Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great to take you through the entire history of philosophy. Not only is it a great teacher, but also it serves as a comprehensive reference guide to particular philosophers, including explanations of the
context within which they were writing.
Key.of.G
I have the paperback version but since they haven't the picture of that yet, I'm sticking to this one to help me keep track of my stuff. I got this back when I took up philosophy. I still keep it now along with my notes. They actually have their own bag.
Sonny Sweatt
i liked it...but, most people, i don't think, would enjoy this book...it was a textbook that i really enjoyed...so, there you have it...

stumpf does a pretty good job of summarizing a LOT of thought into a fairly easy to read history...
Brooks Kohler
Dec 07, 2013 Brooks Kohler rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book for my first philosophy course and carried it with me all through college, referring to it when I had moments of doubt and needed clarity. I think it is one of the best books on philosophy.
Hert
Dec 10, 2012 Hert marked it as to-read
qwe
Laurence
Laurence rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Djilali Benlahlou
Djilali Benlahlou marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Roselyn Capili
Roselyn Capili rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2016
Kunimkhan Esengeldiyeva
Kunimkhan Esengeldiyeva marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
RI
RI marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Javido
Javido marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Hj Burmeister
Hj Burmeister is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Chris Miles
Chris Miles rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Nick
Nick is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Dai Li
Dai Li rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
  • A Short History of Modern Philosophy (Routledge Classics)
  • Remarks on the Foundations of Mathematics
  • Classics of Western Philosophy
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • America: A Narrative History, Volume 1
  • Early Socratic Dialogues
  • The Christological Controversy
  • Introduction to Logic
  • Man a Machine and Man a Plant
  • For Self-Examination/Judge for Yourselves (Kierkegaard's Writings, Volume 21)
  • The Penguin History of the Twentieth Century
  • Friedrich Nietzsche: A Philosophical Biography
  • Archetypes of Wisdom: An Introduction to Philosophy
  • The Primacy of Perception: And Other Essays on Phenomenological Psychology, the Philosophy of Art, History and Politics
  • Aquinas
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy
  • Reformation Thought
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
He was born to Hungarian immigrants Louis and Elizabeth Jergens Stumpf. Samuel Enoch Stumpf was Emeritus Professor of Philosophy and Emeritus Professor of Law at Vanderbilt University prior to his death in 1998, at the age of eighty.

He earned a B.S. in Business and Finance from the University of California at Los Angeles, a B.D. in Theology from Andover Newton Theological School, and a Ph.D. in P
More about Samuel Enoch Stumpf...