Start by marking “This Means This, This Means That: A User's Guide to Semiotics” as Want to Read:
This Means This, This Means That: A User's Guide to Semiotics

This Means This, This Means That: A User's Guide to Semiotics

Semiotics is the theory of signs. Signs are amazingly diverse: from simple road signs that point to a destination, to smoke that warns us of fire, to the culturally-conditioned symbols buried within art and literature. Our reading of signs is very much a part of everyday life. Yet semiotics is often perceived as a mysterious science. This introductory book decodes themyste ...more
Published October 4th 2007 by Laurence King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about This Means This, This Means That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Means This, This Means That

Al Bità
Jan 05, 2011 Al Bità rated it really liked it
This is a rather painless way of introducing oneself to the world of Semiotics. A lot of effort has been made in the design of the book (it looks great), and can even function as a coffee-table book... It appears to be designed to appeal to the Art world; but Semiotics is more than that alone. The text is presented in simple questions for the reader which help redirect our mental preconceptions, and an answer is then provided on the very next page.

Semiotics can be considered as the granddaddy of
Ryan
Apr 03, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This Means This, This Means That is an introduction to Semiotics, and appropriately enough, was the first book I have read on the subject.

The layout of the book goes a long way in making the information approachable: individual ideas or questions are presented on right-hand pages, then explored in more depth on the following left-hand page. This call-and-response method was really effective, providing a perfect pace for digesting the book in small chunks.

The trouble this this book — and maybe th
Tara Brabazon
Aug 04, 2011 Tara Brabazon rated it really liked it
What a fascinating and unexpected book. I am often underwhelmed by textbooks. Semiotics textbooks are the confirmation of that principle. However this was an unusual and incredible effective introduction and guide through semiotics.

It is an ideal book for any university library servicing media, communication and cultural studies programmes. It is useful for teachers because of its unusual and effective presentation. For visual learners, and there are many of them in every classroom, this is the
Harvey
Jun 24, 2013 Harvey rated it really liked it
- Semiotics is the science of signs
- signs are amazingly diverse: from the simple road signs that point to a destination, to smoke that warns us of a fire, to the culturally-conditioned symbols buried deep within art and literature
- this introductory book presents 75 semiotic concepts, using practical examples, of how meaning is made in contemporary culture
- an easy introduction to an abstract science
Sara
Mar 25, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
This was definitely not the first book I'd read on semiotics; however, it probably should have been . . . Maybe. I don't know. In a way this book was like a relief. It sorted out some of the murky stuff that I had been wading through. It cleared a few things up for me, and I feel excited to jump back into heavier reading. Semiotics is a lot of fun, and this is definitely a book for a dilettante. . . Which I am . . .
H.d.
Oct 06, 2013 H.d. rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, semiótica
Ótima abordagem para uma introdução à semiótica. Para varias situações será o suficiente para um crescimento pessoal, ou como referência para consulta. E se você tiver interesse/curiosidade o livro indica uma ótima bibliografia.
Lenora
Dec 15, 2009 Lenora rated it it was amazing
I usually don't enjoy textbooks, but this book was absolutely amazing. It greatly helped my understanding and participation in my design foundations class, and I recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in design. It's simple and extremely visual.
Michael Goglia
Michael Goglia rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Eepman
Apr 30, 2011 Eepman rated it liked it

Sorry, Marly, I finished another one!!!
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
bookworm worm
bookworm worm rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Thomas Fodor
Thomas Fodor rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Cate
Cate rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Raymond
Raymond rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Alice Godwin
Alice Godwin rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Teodor Georgiev
Teodor Georgiev rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2012
Yorkshiresoul
Yorkshiresoul rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2012
Karna Mustaqim
Karna Mustaqim rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Alexandre Caldeira
Alexandre Caldeira rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Cheryl B
Cheryl B rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Kevin Glenn
Kevin Glenn rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Rikardus Wirawan
Rikardus Wirawan rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Loli
Loli rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Jesper Balslev
Jesper Balslev rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Andrea
Dec 08, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
I use this book with my 8th Grade Art Class a bit, very helpful to show examples (lots of images!).
Rod Zuniga
Rod Zuniga rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Education of a Graphic Designer
  • Practices of Looking: An Introduction to Visual Culture
  • Graphic Design: A User's Manual
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • Typographic Systems of Design
  • Tacit Dimension
  • Designing Type
  • Visual Culture Reader
  • 100 Habits of Successful Freelance Designers: Insider Secrets for Working Smart & Staying Creative
  • Elements of Semiology
  • No More Rules: Graphic Design and Postmodernism
  • Digital Filmmaking
  • Designing Books: Practice and Theory
  • Decoding Design: Understanding and Using Symbols in Visual Communication
  • The Essential Mcluhan
  • Design: A Very Short Introduction
  • Information Anxiety 2 (Hayden/Que)
  • New Masters of Poster Design: Poster Design for the Next Century