Start by marking “The Pirates of Pompeii: The Roman Mysteries, Book III” as Want to Read:
The Pirates of  Pompeii: The Roman Mysteries, Book III

The Pirates of Pompeii: The Roman Mysteries, Book III (The Roman Mysteries #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Set in the terrifying aftermath of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, the third book in this highly praised mystery series takes young sleuth Flavia Gemina and her friends in search of pirates and slave dealers. A fast-paced whodunnit that combines action, well-placed clues, and strong female lead, and a well-realized ancient Roman setting, this is a treat for mystery lovers...more
Published April 9th 2003 by Roaring Brook Press (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirates of Pompeii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirates of Pompeii

Kate
The Pirates of Pompeii is the third of Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries and picks up right where Secrets of Vesuvius left off - a Pompeii devastated by volcanic eruption. Pirates are preying on the living victims of Vesuvius, the slaves and children wandering on the mountain and on top of the ruins, separated from their masters and families by several feet of ash and pumice. It's not long before our young group of heroes, led by the indomitable Flavia Gemina, are on the case, risking their ne...more
sabisteb
Ich habe dieses Buch in einem Zug verschlungen. Auch diese Buch schließt direkt an Band 2 an und sollte nicht separat gelesen werden.
Man lernt, dass das Alpenveilchen wohl als Heilpflanze verwendet wurde und auch etwas über das Patron - Klienten System des alten Roms.
Noch besser als Band 1 und genausogut wie Band 2. Absolut empfehlenswert.

Dieser Teil wurde, anders als Teil 1 verfilmt. Dabei hat man sich die zwei Welpen (den von Jonathan und Nubia) gespart und Flavias Lehrer Aristo komplett gespa...more
Eric Zulueta
Another fast paced installment in the Roman Mysteries series. It started off where the previous novel left off (the eruption of Mt Vesuvius) - and dealt with the aftermath of that epic disaster. This could as easily have taken place in the modern era (the Mt Pinatubo eruption comes to mind..).

The compassionate side of human nature is well presented (so is the greedy / exploitative side of some people)..

I can't wait to start the next novel!
Leah
Jul 10, 2013 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: The cover enticed me
Even better than the previous books, this one follows the children in the chaos in the aftermath of the volcanic eruption. It is exciting and definately worth a read.

I loved the thrill of the scary adventure on the slave-trade boat. Plus I liked that they included characters from the first book, to make the series more continual, and show that it was planned in advance.

The four friends stay at Felix's house to stay safe, and they grow used to the luxurious lifestyle. I found it interesting how F...more
Vicki Cline
It's a few days after the end of the previous book, The Secrets of Vesuvius, and the friends are in a refugee camp down the coast near Surrentum. Emperor Titus has come to reassure the people, and a very wealthy local friend of his, Publius Pollius Felix, invites the children to stay at his villa, since he also has children. Flavia suspects he might be behind the disappearance of some children from the camp, and is determined to solve the mystery. This book goes into the institution of slavery m...more
Ujwals
Pirates of Pompeii is the third book in the Roman Mysteries series. The book was well written, and showed what real ancient Roman life would have been like. The author describes ancient Rome so well, that I can picture it in my head, and almost feel like I'm there. The author also did a good job of noticing small details, like describing the banquet well so you that you can learn what was eaten in that time. In this book, slavery is very prominent. There was a little violence, and definitely seg...more
Jon
The third in the children's Roman mystery series. I think I've read enough of these for a while. This one is set immediately after the eruption of Vesuvius and involves a fabulously wealthy godfather-type (is he a kindly family man or the hypocritical head of a crime syndicate? Or both?) and slave traders who are profiting by rounding up for sale the many orphaned children and runaway slaves in the area after the eruption. The four main characters in the series are all captured and nearly sold i...more
Thomas Hoffmeister
This book is an exciting mystery and the third book in the series of The Roman Mysteries.
Kenza365
Adventurous and exciting! Couldn't put it down!
Deeneez
YA book about a scholarly 10 year old girl of ancient Rome who has a penchant for solving mysteries.

This story takes place directly after the erruption of Mount Vesuvius and what life is like in the refugee camps, the grieving and shock that comes afterwards. Flavia and her friends set out to find who has been kidnapping children from the camps.
Aine
I got this book because we were studying volcanoes and I wanted a children's book on Pompeii. The setting of this book is basically, "what happened next." The descriptions of the time period were spot-on and although it is a little scary for little ones concerning the slave trade, the older kids ate it up.
Bonnie Stottlemyer
I like the idea of books set in the first century. The book started very slowly (for my taste) since there were so many characters to introduce. It picked up speed leading to an an interesting ending. I do doubt that children of all the different cultural and economic groups would end up in adventures together.
Barbara
I read this and Secrets of Vesuvius during and after a school trip to Rome and Pompeii. I was surprised to find that they are well written and informative but not too didactic. She has done her research well. I'd reckon they're best suited to Year 6 and 7, but I did enjoy them. I might even read some more.
B
Third of the Roman mysteries. Liked the variety of characters, the exciting story line of kids being snatched for slavery right after the confusion of Vesuvius erupting, and good description of ancient roman life. If we had enough copies in our library I would consider it for Book Buddies.
Mrs. Roy
I really LOVE these books and this author - her style is a bit more sophistocated than the Percy Jackson author. But what I like best is how she emerses the reader in the Roman everday world. I wish I could read all of these books to my Latin students in class, but eheu, no time.
Brett
Good handling of the topic of slavery, horrible enough for middle-grade kids to understand, but not be overwhelmed by. These books continue to be high-adventure, & it seems like we're going to hear more about the past of each individual character, which should be interesting.
Kristen Gurri
Great series to read with Colin and Kate is getting into it as well. Lawrence does not gloss the social issues of Ancient Rome and her ensemble cast of young detectives provide a range of viewpoints.
Leonard
Rich with relationships, history, and action making a great literary choice for young readers. or listeners as my grandson and I listened to this on a recent road trip.
Vicki
At a makeshift camp near the erupted Vesuvius, children are disappearing. Falvia, Nubid, Johnathan & Lupus try to solve the mystery, but get caught up in it Good
Jess
Third in a series of mysteries set in Ancient Rome, I like them a lot. If you want to read these you should start with the first one (The Thieves of Ostia).
Rachel S.
this one is realy AWISOME!
well after the erruption kids start dissapeering and Flavia and her friends investigate this crime!
JaNel
This was much better than the 2nd in the series. It's much more positive and not so depressing.
Magda
More exciting than the other two books. Usually the books in a series go down in enjoyability ...
Laura Bang
Some interesting character developments, but the writing was very choppy in this one.
Willo Font
Cool series, reads very fast. I can see children lovingit.
Vicky
ancient rome four children and a mystery!!!
Katherine
read these awihle ago they were good
Roy
Very entertaining
Jimmy Williams
Jimmy Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • Twice Freed
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6)
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Kaspar: Prince of Cats
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • The Sword That Cut the Burning Grass (Samurai Detective, #4)
  • Caddy Ever After (Casson Family, #4)
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2) The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4) The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)