Start by marking “Buck Baxter, Love Detective” as Want to Read:
Buck Baxter, Love Detective

Buck Baxter, Love Detective (The Buck Baxter Mysteries #1)

Welcome to Wilde City, 1924—a crane on top of every skyscraper, a party in every club, a romance on every dance floor, a shooting every night, a broken heart on every street corner and a dirty secret behind every window with the curtain drawn. It’s the kinda town that keeps Buck Baxter, private detective, in business.

For despite his fondness for a cold gin and a pipe stuff
ebook
Published September 3rd 2014 by Wilde City Press (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Buck Baxter, Love Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buck Baxter, Love Detective

Think of England by K.J. CharlesA Case of Possession by K.J. CharlesEnlightened by Joanna ChambersNecropolis by Jordan L. HawkBloodline by Jordan L. Hawk
Best M/M Historical Books of 2014
31st out of 41 books — 163 voters
Once in a Snowstorm by Ofelia GrändThe Devil's Ride by K.A. MerikanSafe in His Arms by Renae KayeThe Lion and the Crow by Eli EastonOnce in a Forest by Ofelia Gränd
MM- Men with facial hair
151st out of 340 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Pageant
Sep 13, 2014 Nick Pageant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
My very first date with Jennifer Pher was the cat's meow!

description

Buck Baxter is a gin-drinking, pot-smoking, rentboy-screwing private dick during the Roaring Twenties. I must perfect my time machine so that I can reach him and join in on the fun times!

description

Don't listen to Tobey. I will perfect my time machine!

The plot of this is like every pot-boiler detective novel I've ever read, that's why I loved it so much. Geoffrey Knight managed to give this book the feel of a Raymond Chandler novel, while adding hum
Rosa, really
Sep 15, 2014 Rosa, really rated it liked it

Buck Baxter is a cynical PI....
I stay low and keep my eyes open. I watch every shadow. I listen for every footstep, every whisper. I don’t make friends, I don’t make enemies, and I sure as hell don’t fall in love. I just get the job done fast, collect my payment, and move on to the next case.
Living in a jaded city....
It’s a city crammed with tough guys, dangerous women, loud jazz, and illegal booze; the kinda place where everyone carries a hipflask in their pocket and a spare pistol in their soc
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
If you like film noir and Golden Age, hard-boiled mysteries, like those of the great Dashiell Hammett, you will like this book.

Because Buck Baxter, Love Detective is not a romance. It's a detective novel set in the 1920s filled with atmosphere, slightly farcical plot elements, clues, and red herrings.

The detective in question just happens to be a man, living in Wilde City (like a fictionalized New York with marketing homage paid to the press who published the book), who prefers men.

This novel
Loederkoningin
Sep 05, 2014 Loederkoningin marked it as maybe-but-then-again-maybe-not
Shelves: m-m, mystery-suspense
Good blurb. Good cover. And did you know that a pipe is called 'pijp' in Dutch and that giving a blow job is called 'pijpen'? Again, good cover.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Nov 08, 2015 ♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Pulp Fiction Fun
4.5 Gin 'n Tonics on Prism Book Alliance

This is the jazz age, gin joints and trilbies abound, and everyone has their secrets.

This starts out with a classically pulpy tone with names to match: Buck Baxter, Holden Hart and so many more. I was already grinning.

Craftily paired with this is a depth of emotion I was not expecting. It worked well in telling me more about our man Buck, his life, his past… his heart.

Holden Hart. More on him later.

Heat and poignancy, a tricky combo to pull off. Knight d
Lena♥Ribka

I'll review the both books of the series at once.
See review to Buck Baxter, Love Detective / Buck Baxter and the Disappearing Divas
Marte
**** 4 trilby stars ****

“You are not the destroyer of love, Mr. Baxter. You do not create the pain. You free it. You open people’s eyes to what they must abandon and leave behind. You show them the path to a new future.
You do not destroy love . You create new opportunities for it to exist someplace else. You give love hope to live on. Don’t you see?
You are not simply a detective, Mr. Baxter. You are a love detective.”

Madame Chang

Buck Baxter for me, reminds me of a gay version of Indiana Jones
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 13, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Yeah! Date day/night with Nick!
description

Wow! I loved this! Seriously, I may have a new time period that I need to immediately find books for! The Roaring 20's is a great setting for a book and this was done perfectly. I got to learn a whole new bit of slang that I want to use daily!! The descriptions were exceptional and I just kept googling over and over so I had perfect visuals to along with the brilliant descriptions the author gave. This was an excellent Private Dick novel and I am so happy to see th
Tess
Jun 10, 2016 Tess rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-mm

This was fun! I loved the feel and the time period. Buck was a pretty sweet guy and I also enjoyed the myriad of side characters especially Stella - she was awesome. I wanted to see more of the relationship but maybe we'll get that in book 2?
Heather C
Buck Baxter, Love Detective…the name says it all! Picture this – It’s 1924 in the fictional city of Wilde City where illegal booze is rampant and there are rent boys aplenty. One lone gumshoe is out to liberate love onemystery at a time. Well, not intentionally.

This was hilarious and witty and a lot fun. I loved Buck’s voice and his quick, internal monologue…like an investigator with ADD who needs pot to calm him down.

Buck is a private detective working out of his office-slash-bedroom who is no
Monika

Review also posted on http://www.wodfreview.com/

Buck Baxter, Love Detective is a story that takes place in the 1920s. It’s a time when night clubs were plentiful and almost anything goes, it was also a time when the mob ruled.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! It’s not a love story but there is a story of undying love that plays a small role and even though I saw it coming a mile away it warmed my heart and made me smile. Buck is a great character and perfect for the role of the gumshoe detectiv
Jamie Fessenden
Sep 09, 2014 Jamie Fessenden rated it it was amazing
A take-off on 1930s pulp detective fiction, "Buck Baxter, Love Detective" throws in just about every trope you can expect to find in the genre, from a beautiful dame engaging the detective's services to night clubs to opium dens to mob hits. All of this is crammed into about 90 pages. I happen to love short reads, so I don't mind that at all. Others might find it too short.

Also, I couldn't care less about sex scenes. I mention that because there's only one and it's brief. It's also BEFORE our he
Don Bradshaw
Jun 06, 2016 Don Bradshaw rated it really liked it
This was a fun read from beginning to end. I loved the way Knight stuck to the lingo of the 20s. The characters were wonderfully developed and felt so real. Stella was great. Buck was a mess with no real foundation. He was flawed but was the perfect P.I. Madame Chang was another favorite character of mine. The ending was a surprise in several ways but I won't spoil it. This short gem is a must read.
T. Smith
Aug 31, 2014 T. Smith rated it it was amazing
For everyone that is going to miss the Gin & Jazz series with the final book coming out in just a couple days, we have a respite! And dare I say... Short, Sexy and Steamy... my three favorite colors!!

Picture this... a sex on a stick, pot smoking, gay private dick in 1920’s New York surrounded by glitz, glamour and the Dick Tracy version of an assortment of Speak Easies. Welcome to Wilde City!
Buck Baxter, private eye extraordinaire, doesn’t do friends or commitments. He doesn’t make enemies
Ro Dubose
Oct 14, 2014 Ro Dubose rated it it was amazing
Picture this, a coastal town where almost everything is prohibited, alcohol, drugs, sex in addition to human rights. The residents of Wilde City are divided into three social classes, the rich, the working poor and the criminals. Buck is among the poor while his future lover Holden is among the rich.

Buck Baxter, Love Detective is the first book in The Buck Baxter Mysteries. The theme is an edgy suspense murder plot with a touch of intimacy. Also featured are the pious religious hypocrites. The
Jax
Dec 05, 2014 Jax rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Not enough rent boys. I was really liking the set up of a hard living, loner P.I. staying loose and unencumbered and getting his lovin' from rent boys, but that doesn't last for long. Never thought I'd say this, but this is one case where I'm rooting for the main couple to not be monogamous. I would've preferred for Buck to pine after an unavailable/uninterested guy while continuing his bachelor-on-the-prowl ways.

So will I read the next one? Well, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the period det
k reads
Dec 12, 2015 k reads rated it liked it
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2015
2.5 stars.
It was not as hardboiled as I wanted it to be and not enough attention was paid to the mystery.
Buck spent most of his time longing for a lost childhood friend. The romance turned schmaltzy awful quick.
I like the idea of this story and the world it's set in a lot but the execution left me somewhat cold.
Misty

** 4.5 Stars **

So much fun to read, with unexpected character depth and touching moments. Now I am off to book 2!
ItsAboutTheBook
Feb 15, 2015 ItsAboutTheBook rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

This was a pretty fun read. It’s very theme driven of the hard boiled detective type of story. I found it almost campy? Which works for me personally. Don’t know if that’s what the author meant to do or not. It’s based around a detective named Buck Baxter from a city full of danger and sin in an era of prohibition and gangsters. A city named Wilde City. :)

Buck Baxter was orphaned at a convent for unwed mothers. Growing up he only had one pers
Pansy
Sep 25, 2014 Pansy rated it really liked it
This is a new to me author, but it won’t be the last time I read this author. He writes a good story. I rather liked Buck Baxter, once I got the right voice in my head.

For some reason, when I started reading this, I was thinking Sam Spade or Chicago thug, but it wasn’t working for me. It probably didn’t help that I started reading this before bed when the brain was tired. That didn’t work for this story either. Not at all. When I came back to it, after a decent night’s sleep, all of a sudden a
Dana
Aug 20, 2016 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Reviewed for Rainbow Gold Reviews. A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

One thing about short stories/novellas is that there are less pages to fit in a well-developed story. In this case, I think the author did a great job. We get a good idea of what the setting is like. Wilde City in the 1920's is full of revelry and a merriment that hides the darker dangers and crime behind the scenes. You know it's a tough town when even the nuns are packing.

Buck was an orphan raised in Wilde
Wax
Apr 13, 2015 Wax rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I'm on a streak of mystery stories right now, and this fit in quite well. The story is set in the era of Prohibition, flappers and Tommy guns. Buck Baxter is a private detective who you can almost picture in your head due to great descriptive elements in the story. He's the kind of character that you know will survive no matter what is happening, and he'll do it with his trilby intact.

Buck is asked to look into a case of suspected adultery, and the story goes from there. Along the way, we meet H
Kevin Klehr
Sep 26, 2014 Kevin Klehr rated it really liked it
Delicious Pulp Fiction. That's the best way to describe this novella.

This is the first of an upcoming series which has got me hooked, especially with its older cinematic imagery. Yes, you can imagine a very colourful cast of characters and wonderful Art Deco sets and costumes as you read.

To talk too much about this story would be robbing future readers of some of the delightful nail biting situations that pop up. They're best discovered fresh.

All I'll say is that there are tongue-in-cheek detect
Colette
Aug 10, 2015 Colette rated it really liked it
3.5
Interesting take an the hard-boiled detective genre. Good feel for the period, the story paid tribute to the noir classics of the 30's but a happier ending then most of those. I already bought the second book in the series.
Tam
I am a fan of the old school PI movies/books so this appealed to me. Buck is suitably cynical with a rather sad backstory. I don't really have much to say. It was a fun read, I enjoyed the sequel as well and would tune in for more.
Lily
3.65 stars. I liked everything about this story, apart from the length which seemed to constrict or rush things when I wanted a bit more development...
Nigel Barr
Feb 24, 2016 Nigel Barr rated it it was amazing
I loved it. The story feels like a film noir, gumshoe, black and white, dames, gals, goons, a detective and a play it again Sam moment. Great work Geoffrey!
Manda
Manda rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Higgs
Higgs rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Merge of books needed 3 17 Sep 08, 2014 02:19PM
From palace-hopping across the Rajasthan Desert to sleeping in train stations in Bulgaria, from spinning prayer-wheels in Kathmandu to exploring the skull-gated graveyards of the indigenous Balinese tribes, Geoffrey Knight has been a traveller ever since he could scrape together enough money to buy a plane ticket. Born in Melbourne but raised and educated in countless cities and towns across ...more
More about Geoffrey Knight...

The Buck Baxter Mysteries (2 books)
  • Buck Baxter and the Disappearing Divas