Start by marking “Wild Child” as Want to Read:
Wild Child

Wild Child (Mother Earth's children)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In this magical bedtime book, Autumn doesn't want to sleep. Mother Earth wants to put her wild child, Autumn, to bed. But Autumn isn't ready. First she wants a song, then a snack, then pj's, and a kiss. Lynn Plourde's crisp text crackles like fall leaves and Greg Couch's illustrations are a color extravaganza. Wild children and their parents will love this scrumptious, sat ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Aladdin (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Child

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Books to read together in the early years
83rd out of 151 books — 189 voters
Leaf Man by Lois EhlertThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin Soup by Helen CooperFletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia RawlinsonApples and Pumpkins by Anne F. Rockwell
Picture books about Fall
21st out of 58 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
4.5 STARS

I really, really enjoyed this book! It's such an interesting, fun concept Mother Earth tries to put her "wild child" Autumn to bed--but Autumn makes several demands first, getting to taste, wear and hear the beauty of the season. I would love to read the rest in the series! A beautiful seasonal read and/or bedtime story and especially suitable for when autumn turns into winter.
Cheryl
I really wanted to love this book, and there's nothing wrong with it really, but for some reason it wasn't engaging me until the last page, at which point I decided to raise my star rating from 2.5 to 3.5. It is indeed artistic, enjoyable to read aloud, wise, heartwarming - but the last bit brings in the dash of levity that my favorite books include. I do admit Autumn is not my favorite season, and if there are companion books for the other seasons I would like to read them.
Destiny Dawn Long
This is another instance where I love love love the illustrations, I like the story, but I wasn't all that enamored of the actual text. I think I just got tired of the repeated lists of items, always with three modifiers.

But the illustrations--oh, they are gorgeous. Really captures the magic of fall.
Rachel
Original story-line illustrated with a beautiful color palette and style. The verse was interesting but never attained enough lyrical flow to enhance the pictorial fantasy.
Kathryn
The artistry is out of this world. A delight story about Mother Earth and her autumn Wild Child.
Anna
C loved this book. He was intrigued by the idea, and studied the pictures for several nights.
I thought the pictures were beautiful and the idea interesting, but the text itself did not flow well and was cumbersome to read. 5 stars because of how much C liked it. I would've given it fewer myself because of the text.
Daleine
Wild Child is a beautiful book with wonderful pictures. As fall ends, mother Earth works at putting her wild child to bed. Wonderful descriptive words to describe the end of fall.
Regina
Wild Child caught my eye on display at the library. The cover is a catching, warm illustration of a girl clothed in leaves being raised in the air. All the illustrations throughout the book were luscious and added so much to the story. Rolling hills became the hips of Mother Earth, her hair is a waterfall. The integration of Mother Earth and WIld Child into the natural background was what made me fall in love with this picture book. The spectacular use of color and texture certainly added to it. ...more
Raevyn ~WICKED is good...right?~
I'm generally annoyed by too much rhyming, but since I'm not the target audience I can overlook that.
Janae
I doubt this is a big kid crowd pleaser, but it is beautifully written with magical illustrations.
Sam Grace
Jan 10, 2010 Sam Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ppl who like Seasonal books, read aloud books, Earth-centric stories
This is definitely a read-aloud book. It's got brilliant and beautiful illustrations that are perfectly suited to the words.

The story is about the Wild Child who needs all sorts of things before going to bed for the night, and it really really does its job of evoking Autumn. Like when Mother Earth gives her Wild Child a kiss, it's
A whooshy, whirlishy, windswept snuggle.
And when Mother Earth gives her Wild Child PJs, it's
A fiery, flaming, reddish nightgown.

Anyway, I like it a lot. 4.5 stars jus
Melanie
Mother Nature is trying to put her wild child to bed. The child won't go. She needs a song. So she hears the songs of chipmunk chatter and the crinkle of falling leaves. Wild child is still not ready for bed. A snack is needed. Mother Earth feeds her child chestnuts and pumpkins, apples and cranberries. However the wild child needs pajamas. Mother Earth covers her in flaming falling leaves. Eventually the wild child is ready for bed. And as she falls asleep, Mother Nature notices that her Winter ...more
Julie Pfeiffer
This is an absolutely stunning picture book illustrated by Greg Couch. The storyline consists of Mother Earth trying to put away her child, "Autumn." The child keeps giving excuses not to go to bed - wanting something to eat, a song, pj's. Mother Earth is very calm and comforting to the child as she accommodates her child's needs. Right after she gets her wild child, Autumn to bed, up jumps Winter! As I mentioned, very beautiful illustrations, originally created on msueum board; a verythick, smo ...more
Alexandra Chauran
Gorgeous illustrations and beautiful prose with plenty of alliteration. This book has lovely bedtime story starring mother earth and her children, the seasons.
Shelli
Wild Child is one of a four part picture book set describing the changing of the seasons in a beautiful and unique way. These very earthy illustrations are absolutely stunning, depicting “autumn time” as child reluctant to end her fun and go to bed. Prolonging her time by asking her mother, Mother Earth, for just one more something before finally agreeing to sleep and allow Winter to begin his time.

Out of the four books in the series this one is my favorite. :)
Lana Clifton
Illustrate the changing of season's with water~coloring~words that effortlessly roll off your tongue in poetic prose. On the surface, it appears that a mother is attempting to put her resistant child to bed. Look deeper to find the maternal love and offerings that the earth shares with our humankind. Heart-felt connections are abundant with this good read, and will appeal to grades K-3.
Ed McKeogh
On the surface, it might seem odd to see a children's picture book on an adult's book list--and rated with 5 stars, no less! But here's the thing: The artwork by Greg Couch is stunning, and that's why I love this book. The richness of color and clever design make Mr. Couch's art breathtaking. If you love good art, you'll love this book.
Heidi
This was an interesting book, meaning it held my attention in wondering how it would be done. The illustrations' technique and use of color are lovely. The feel of autumn is definitely present. But this was not what I was looking for with a read-aloud book.
Katey
The pictures are beautiful. This is the story of Mother Earth. She is trying to lay to rest her child called Autumn. THis book deals with fall and winter, might be a good place to get inpiration about the changing of the seasons.
Krystal
Beautiful illustrations. The lines of the story read almost like poetry. Also, it teaches (subtlely) about the autumn season. We checked this out from the library, randomly, and we all liked it so much a bought a copy for us.
Kim Miller
I love the personification of the seasons as mother Earth's children. The pictures are wonderful and bright. I like that mother earth is so patient and grants the wishes of her child, the season Autumn.
Liz Smith
I read this to Elijah and we both loved it. He keeps grabbing it at night for his bedtime story. Mother Earth is putting her Wild Child, Autumn, to bed. Super beautiful drawings and writing.
Nikki
Even as an adult, this remains one of my favorites books. The illustrations are beautiful, inventive and tell the story between Mother Earth and Nature (her "Wild Child").
Edna
Beautiful illustrations and repetitive and rhyming text help create a visually delightful book showing how Mother Earth coaxes autumn "to sleep" and awaken winter.
Molly
I'm not sure why, but I chose not to read this to the boys yet. Maybe next year. I guess maybe I don't want them getting any ideas about prolonging bedtime...
Shannon
Oct 07, 2007 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Outstanding art. Colorful writing. Beautiful reflections of nature and the Autumn season. I love reading this book outloud and sharing it with a group.
Megan B
Little too artsy for me to love-love-love. Maybe when my kids get a little older and I don't have to explain the symbolism so much :)
Tauna Garvin
I really enjoyed this book. Its pictures were amazing to me. It taught about the seasons in a different but more enjoyable way.
Annelise
Mother earth, and the seasons as her children. Rhyming text. Pretty in a warm, soft sunny blanket kind of way.
Kena Kump
Amazing book with Caldecott-quality illustrations. An autumn feel, and a great book to read to a child before bed.
Children's Books: Wild Child 5 16 Aug 28, 2014 08:09PM
  • Big Momma Makes the World
  • Leaf Man
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Children of the Forest
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • Snow
  • Cozy Light, Cozy Night
I write kids' books--talk about a FUN job! I worked for 21 years as a speech-language therapist in Maine schools. When I got married, I got 3 & 4-year-old stepsons as part of my ready-made family. I read the boys picture books at bedtime. They fell asleep after 2 or 3 books, but I kept reading stacks and stacks of picture books and started to dream . . . maybe I could write picture books. I wa ...more
More about Lynn Plourde...

Mother Earth's children (4 books)
  • Summer's Vacation
  • Spring's Sprung
  • Winter Waits
You're Wearing THAT to School?! Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud Dino Pets Winter Waits Book Fair Day