Start by marking “Seduction” as Want to Read:
Seduction

Seduction

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Examines modern critical theory, feminism, and psychoanalysis, and discusses the modern concept of sex roles and the political aspect of human sexuality.
Published January 15th 1991 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction

De goddelijke komedie by Dante AlighieriThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyHonger by Knut HamsunInfinite Jest by David Foster WallaceDode zielen by Nikolai Gogol
Books I Intend to Read before I Die
9th out of 250 books — 10 voters
The Art of Seduction by Robert GreeneThe Bunny Book by Deanna BrooksTemptress by Jane BillinghurstFatale by Edith F. KunzBohemians by Elizabeth Wilson
Allure and France.
6th out of 12 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Praj
Oct 07, 2013 Praj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ctext
Jean Baudrillard gets better with every word. No one has ever clarified seduction with such refinement and eloquence. “For nothing can be greater than seduction, than seduction itself; not even the order that destroys it" .

Baudrillard in this text pose a challenge to the psychoanalytical question of anatomy (human body) being the destiny with the liberation of sex. Seduction has always being categorized as an enthralling act conclusive to sex; a feminine forte. If so, then how do red roses when
Andreea
Why this books leaves me dumbfounded:

Has there, moreover, ever been a phallic power? This entire history of patriarchal domination, of phallocracy, the immemorial male privilege, is perhaps only a story. Beginning with the exchange of women in primitive societies, stupidly interpreted as the first stage of woman-as-object. All that we have been asked to believe - the universal discourse on the inequality of the sexes, the theme song of an egalitarian and revolutionary modernity (reinforced, thes
Adam Roan
Do we really live in an age of illusions??

How does one arrive at a decoded sign that neither lives in our human desires, or tells us our dreams? "Seduction", in one of Baudrillard's most celebrated text, pastiches all the current "postmodern" thought of today in a simple-to-read semiological driven book. A "tableau de bord" of ideas, it reminds me of Marshall McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message" (without all the fancy typography and illustrations) or "RD Laing's Knots", all of which derive cult
Kim
This is a book that (as postmodernists say) should be "read against the text". The book is set up as a paean to the "feminine" forces of Seduction which Baudrillard suggests have maintained the upper hand throughout history against the "masculine" discourse of Reason through a strategy of "artifice" and "play". While initially amused and flattered by this contention as a female, my more lasting impression was a feeling of suspicion. I couldn't help but wonder if at base the argument wasn't reall ...more
T -
After reading the Aeneid here in Italy, I've been wondering why and by what moral code the hero of the story tells his wife Creusa to walk several paces behind him and his aged father, as they are trying to escape the Greeks hot on their trail. While Aeneas, his father and son make it on the ship and escape, Creusa's fate is a mystery...and later the reader finds out she hasn't died, but has been "translated" by the gods to heaven.

This scene also reminded me of one of the final scenes of the Ra
Mon
"Now woman is but appearance. And it is the feminine as appearance that thwarts masculine depth. Instead of rising up against such "insulting" counsel, women would do well to let themselves be seduced by its truth, for here lies the secret of their strength, which they are in the process of losing by erecting a contrary, feminine depth."

Bonus - "Freud was right"

Bernier
La seducción para Baudrillard tiene el mismo lugar que el Amor para Barthes, son ámbitos que no son recogidos por ningún sistema, no tienen ciuaddanía ni en la moral ni en la religión ni menos en el psicoanálisis. Son operaciones transgresoras en el sentido más extremo.
Dusty Hope
Sep 17, 2010 Dusty Hope is currently reading it
even though for me there is a point where his language falls off the roof, in a way, pushes the dialectic into a frenzy of emptiness, like Zeno fighting with the wall, I still find the stuff he gets into really dazzling, very important
amin ghazaei
این کتاب را سه سال پیش ترجمه کردم اما مجوز نگرفت.
یک چیز عجیب اینکه کلمه
seduction
به معنی اغوا فیلتر است.
اگر کسی این کتاب را خواست برای او ارسال خواهم کرد
البته بزودی مقدمه آنرا منتشر می کنم

Kate Walker
Seduction = games of signs, games to demonstrate mastery of signs...

battle of the sexes, blah blah blah, sex sex sex... stuff like that
Valerie
Oct 09, 2014 Valerie added it
Shelves: theory-junkie
Seduction ends in death. This book was important to me.
Mastugae Kiyoaki
Narcissus quenched thirst of himself.
Marla
Feb 08, 2013 Marla added it
I was seduced by this book's subject and yet, it left me without climax. The language is far beyond my capabilities and when I did the cost/benefit analysis of trying to decipher what the author intended, I decided that the cost was much higher than my attention span.

If anyone is so inclined to weave through the rhetoric, please let me know how it turns out. ;)
Man, I don't know. I understood more of this than I thought I would at the beginning, but by the end my understanding had all unraveled. Lots of evocative thoughts, although his disgust for "sexual liberation" (as the end of seduction and robbing women and life of mystery) is a little hard for me to take at times.
Aspasia
This is not an easy read, but it is fascinating his views on femininity as it relates to seduction. This is not a book to begin reading while distracted. In fact, I am going to start re-reading it on my next school break. Don't let the small size fool you, there's a lot packed in there.
rully
membujuk bukan sekedar melemahkan, tapi juga menguatkan di satu sisi - jean baudrillard

sayang sampe sekarang gak bakal selesai baca buku ini, belum selesai di baca bukunya sudah berada di mana. saya baca edisi terjemahan bahasa Indonesia dengan Judul "berahi" sekitar tahun 2002
Mike
In Seduction one begins to see JB find his own style of writing, a sort of poetic prose by hysteresis shaped into theory. If society promises to give each of us everything now, then what of the things that require a delay in order to thrive?

Cover was nice.
Jan 30, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with bodies
Recommended to Jennifer by: anton
Seduction is a veil that hints at the underneath...good companion to Jorie Graham's poem "Underneath (Calypso)" in her book Swarm.
Ryan
i have given Baudrillard plenty of chances. I don't believe i will be reading anything else by him
Gloria
My first encounter with "french theory".
Filmar Elu Wibowo
Filmar Elu Wibowo marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Daphneyellow
Daphneyellow marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • The Tears of Eros
  • Masochism: Coldness and Cruelty & Venus in Furs
  • The Future of the Image
  • Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences
  • The Jargon of Authenticity
  • Speed and Politics (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • Dissemination
  • The Writing of the Disaster
Jean Baudrillard (27 July 1929 – 6 March 2007) was a French sociologist, philosopher, cultural theorist, political commentator, and photographer. His work is frequently associated with postmodernism and post-structuralism.

Jean Baudrillard was also a Professor of Philosophy of Culture and Media Criticism at the European Graduate School in Saas-Fee, Switzerland, where he taught an Intensive Summer S
More about Jean Baudrillard...
Simulacra and Simulation America The System of Objects  Simulations (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents) The Consumer Society: Myths and Structures

“SeDuciR es MoRir ComO ReaLidaD y reProDuciRse CoMo IlusiOn” 7 likes