Start by marking “Anterograde (The Demons Age, #6)” as Want to Read:
Anterograde (The Demons Age, #6)

Anterograde (The Demons Age #6)

When Calden wakes up – every time he wakes up – the last thing he can recall is a debilitating headache that even his medical background failed to identify as anything more serious than a regular headache. He also remembers his decision to ignore the fact that his best friend Eli is married and to tell him about his long-standing feelings for him. He remembers June second. ...more
Published June 28th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Anterograde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anterograde

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Anterograde is an interesting, well written book about an aloof, talented surgeon with anterograde amnesia and his relationship with longtime friend-turned-lover.

Kallysten is a new to me author, but I was so impressed by her writing skills that she will be on my radar in the future. The book is told in a non-linear fashion, but you also have the choice to read it chronologically. I chose to read it as the author presented it, and I have to say, I sort of regret that. I found the jump
☆ Todd
Oct 04, 2015 ☆ Todd rated it really liked it

I genuinely enjoyed this story, which was originally released in mid-2014, but seemed to go largely unnoticed despite very good reviews and user ratings.

No, the story is not overly sexy or overtly affectionate, but the one thing sets this book apart from so many others is that it is extremely unique.

At 35, gruff, short-tempered and brilliant surgeon Calden Hayes developed an undiagnosed case of encephalitis, which wiped out his ability to retain new memories.

So every time that Calden went to s
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧ •°**★Camelot Dreamer❧ •°**★

I often ask my patients in the hospital " What is your name? Then I introduce myself. And, proceed to ask more questions.... " What happen to you? What year is it?

And, at times I got " it's 1934 or 1981" and, not 2015.

Yes, some simply get those simple questions wrong.

I work in a trauma center...and, when I ask those questions, I always hope that whatever year I got, was a good year for the person I'm speaking to, because they just might be stuck there for awhile.

This book did well portraying
Teresa
****Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance****

4.75 Stars

This is a very unique book. Presented in alternating view-points of the main characters in opposite chronological order; Calden’s working from the last day to the first he actually remembers and Eli’s working from the beginning to the last day. You can also choose to read in typical chronological order but I feel you would miss out greatly on the layers of nuance presented in the way the story unfolds in this narration.

Calden is not always a ple
Kallysten Kallysten
Sep 26, 2015 Kallysten Kallysten added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My Dear Hubby has the rather endearing habit to borrow DVDs for movies he’s never heard of. Sometimes, we watch half of it, look at each other and give whatever it is a pass. And sometimes, we sit there until the end and still talk about whatever it was a week later.

An example of the latter case happened a few years ago when we watched Memento. As the story goes back and for the between past and present, we were very confused for a little while, but the story was enthralling and that one DVD was
Danielle
Oct 20, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mm, 2015
I loved this book! I've read similar books in the past about amnesia, but the MCs were just so good together and I absolutely loved Eli that Ir's probably one of my favorites.

Originally when it first started moving around from past to present I thought it would get confusing, but it was done in a logical sense that worked well. It wasn't confusing and the flow of the story was never disrupted.

However, I do have one little issue. (view spoiler)
Jacque
Aug 20, 2014 Jacque rated it it was amazing
Oh Wow! Anterograde simple blew me away. I was initially drawn in by the blurb not realizing I should have paid more attention to the title. All the clue are right there...I just wasn't paying attention. Once I started reading the book I knew, I understood, and I had to grab a dictionary to see what I missed:

Sharon
Jul 30, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
"Anterograde amnesia is a loss of the ability to create new memories after the event that caused the amnesia, leading to a partial or complete inability to recall the recent past, while long-term memories from before the event remain intact." -wikipedia

I’ve put off writing this review because I was quite sure how to do it. The books we love are always the hardest to review. Let’s start with this is a gay romance. Now I know a lot of people don’t care for that, but this story is about so much mor
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley to review for honesty. This is my very first book I recieved from them and I am so excited because it was so smashing! This book is amazing! The flow, the transitions and the dialogue were all spot on. Just breathtaking the way they were all combined perfectly to create a symphony of feelings in me. The timeline was not written in chronological order but has the option to read it that way at the end of each chapter. I chose to read it as the ...more
Skye Blue
This book was fantastic.

I have not seen the movie"Memento", but I do remember the commercials for it. I kept thinking of the movie "50 first dates" without the laughs. Which, I don't think someone suffering from this type of memory loss would find it funny either.

Eli was a saint. Full of patience. Of course it was hard on him, but he never considered leaving...even as a threat.

I liked that Calden's and his mother relationship didn't change, yet she still stayed very involved, and loved her son.
Alaska
Most of the time I don't write a review when I rate a book with 4 or 5 stars because I don't have anything to criticize or very little which is not worth mentioning.
But in this case I just have to say how amazing this story is. The characters are not perfect, they have flaws, Calden can really be an arrogant ass but in the end you love them just the same because they seem real and you can feel with them.
When I watched "Memento" (the movie mentioned) for the first time I was very impressed becaus
Chanty
This book was very good. If you have ever seen the movie Memento or 50 first dates and liked it, you will definitely like this book. An arrogant surgeon suffers from anterograde amnesia. He can remember everything up to June 2nd, after that...not so much. Every time he sleeps his brain resets to June 2nd. Fortunately he has a great friend who helps him. Eli is just fantastic. Like the movie Memento the story jumps from date to date, anywhere between June and November. I was never lost. A credit ...more
LunalandBooks
Oct 02, 2015 LunalandBooks rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Anterograde by Kallysten in exchange for an honest review. This book is pure poetry especially if you choose to read it in the order in which the author intended. This is a beautiful book that lies somewhere between Sherlock Holmes and 50 first dates. A contemporary romance filled with such an intense love that transcends the pages of the book and had me staying up all night unable to put this book down.

This isn't your every day romance book as the main C
Bookobsessed
Aug 12, 2015 Bookobsessed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book so much! Just finished reading it for a second time. It is so unique in the style and format. You feel so much for Calden and Eli, which in part is brought on by time jumps in the story. The book can also be read in consecutive order (this makes sense once you look at the book) but I think the time jumps make it better. I would recommend this again and again!!
Jeannie Zelos
Oct 04, 2015 Jeannie Zelos rated it liked it
Anterograde, Kallysten

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: LGBTQIA, Romance

I read Kallysten’s Out of the Box series when I first bought a kindle- some years back now - somehow I’ve never got round to anymore but seeing this thought I’d try it. Was one that just didn’t work for me though, it’s not a bad book, its a great read for many but just that I didn’t connect with it.

I started by reading in the order its written, which is not chronological, but by the time I’d got to about40% I was
Billi
Oct 15, 2015 Billi rated it liked it
Given copy by publisher from Net Galley for honest review.
First, I have to say that the author did a great job writing this book. The story and characters were both well developed and interesting. But for me, I had a hard time reading this book. We will get to that in a minute though. This book had an awesome love story! You could feel the love and dedication pouring off of Eli as he cared for Calden. Having to explain your relationship to the person that you are in love with EVERY TIME he wakes
Lynn
anterograde

adjective
directed forwards in time.
of or denoting a form of amnesia which involves inability to remember information encountered after its onset.

Calden wakes up - every time he wakes up - thinking it's June 2nd, the day he decided to tell his long term friend Eli that he has feelings for him but missed the lunch date because of a debilitating headache.

A friends to lovers m/m romance that had a lot of potential but fell a little short. I liked the writing, the characters and for the m
Jeff
Oct 12, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
This was a hard one to both read and review. First, I have to say my father-in-law has a form of anterograde amnesia. Communicating, relating, dealing... are all difficult. There is nothing you can do about it which is so frustrating. Frustrated is how this book left me feeling.

It's not that there wasn't real skill used in putting together this book-- and I realize the forward/backwards telling was intentional and probably benefits some readers in getting a sense of what anterograde amnesia must
Courtney
Oh wow. This book was so good. It was so different from anything I've ever read and I loved it. I'll try to keep the review brief, even though I'm pretty sure I could write quite a bit about how pleasantly surprised I was by this book.

First off, Eli was adorable. He was such a good man and I loved his never ending faith in Calden. He supported his career and was honest with him. He didn't tiptoe around him and was willing to get mad and fight with him. This seems like a weird thing to praise, bu
Beth
Feb 23, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
Unusual love story

This story blends paranormal ( demon attacks) , medical, and romance genres together for a very unusual story.
The two men have a complex relationship... One is the rude, but absolutely brilliant surgeon. The other his best friend and fellow doctor. When he developed encephalitis resulting in anterograde amnesia everything changes in both their work and personal lives.
Its a bit confusing to read the story as Kalysten has devised it but it actually mimics his life. Every single t
Momshell
Oct 08, 2015 Momshell rated it really liked it
actually 3.5 starts
I enjoyed this book because it's premise is really different and unique. I really liked the memory loss part of the book and the use of the tattoos and the memory palace, it was all very creative and interesting. I think exploring more of that would have been amazing, instead we are presented with a world where "demons" are attacking earth, we do not get any insight into the attacks, why are they happening and who are these demons. I think it was created just to justify the ho
Seph
Seph rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Pamela_b
Pamela_b rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Angelica
Angelica rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Richárd Delacasse
Richárd Delacasse rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
blub
blub rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
Madara Lukasevica
Madara Lukasevica rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Kc
Kc rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Krissy
Krissy rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Kallysten is a writer of romance novels and short stories, most of them with paranormal elements.

Her first eBooks were published by Linden Bay Romance in 2005. The defunct Venus Press subsequently published a few of her short stories. Because so many of her stories are linked as series and part of the same universe, she decided it would make sense to have them all in the same place, which is why s
More about Kallysten...

The Demons Age (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fangs and Lullabies (The Demons Age, #1)
  • Demons and Lullabies (The Demons Age, #2)
  • One Last Lullaby (The Demons Age, #2.6)
  • His Sire's New Pet (The Demons Age, #3)
  • His Sire's New Game (The Demons Age, #4)
  • His Sire's New Rules (The Demons Age, #5)
  • Blurred Nights (The Demons Age, #7)
  • Blurred Bloodlines (The Demons Age, #8)
  • Blurred Memories (The Demons Age, #9)
  • Aria and Will (The Demons Age, #10)