Reckoning (Bloodline, #2)

Reckoning (Bloodline #2)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  767 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Mary Seward thought she had escaped the darkness of Transylvania and the evil that claimed the soul of her fiance, John Shaw. But now, back in England, Mary has terrible nightmares, fears the dark, sees vampires everywhere she turns. And when a strange virus weakens her father and her patients at the clinic, she suspects that there'�s a far more sinister explanation than t...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reckoning

Rachel
And so we return to the Bloodline universe. This book is, I believe, more tolerable than the first, though likely that is mostly because the absurd premises and unprepossessing writing style are already familiar at this point and thus no longer serve to disappoint. Also, this book has moved away from the direct imitation of Dracula's plot that plagued the first book, though I fear that is no more creative than its predecessor.

In this book, most of our characters from the first book are out of th...more
Kristi
Even though its been two years since Mary fled Castle Dracula for her life, she is still haunted by the images she saw and the monster that was once her fiancé. She hides away at home, using her father’s frail condition as a reason to stay at home and refrain from socializing. Her father suspects her fear and encourages Mary to move on and not dwell on the evil that exists in the world.

At a party held by the adoptive parents of the baby she saved at Castle Dracula she meets Lord Bathory, a man w...more
Domagoja
THE RECKONING is the second novel in the BLOODLINE series. The second book has the same format as the first. There is journal entries and letters and such. There is the same characters and new character (not gonna metion since i hate spoiling...) But the difference between the two books is that I liked the second one better.
I like the plot (it made me wondered and think), you can predict about a lot of stuff (oddvious stuff), and i like the blood and romance in there ;D
I know it might not be the...more
Cat
*SPOILER ALERT!*The first one sucked, but this one was definitely an improvement. The mystery was better, even though I figured out most of it. Like when Mary looked for vampire bites but found none, yet her father and the patients had the same symptoms as those of a vampire bite. It became obvious that it was a needle that took the blood, especially since a nurse was taking care of her father and the patients were at the sanatorium. Which made it obvious that Becky was a vampire. But the story...more
Ms. Rosas
Jazmine
Dec 26, 2009 Jazmine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bloodline and vampire lovers
Recommended to Jazmine by: Dad
Quincey Harker is set on defeating the monster within him as he tries to sustain without feeding on human blood. Mary Seward terrified of the night due to her experiences at Castle Dracula, ventures back out into the world on her father’s wishes leaving him with a trustworthy caretaker, Becky. At a party she meets Lord Bathory whom she grows fond of. Soon, he claims to have fallen in love with her and invites her to stay at his estate. Mary grieves her father’s death as he had grown quite sick a...more
Rachel
Mary Seward is back in England after her ordeal in Transylvania but she still suffers from nightmares of her fiance, John Shaw and his sister Lily. Then Mary's father and several patients from the hospital that she works in falls ill with signs of a vampire bite she is clueless of who is doing it until Quincy Harker, the heir of the vampire throne meets her in the night. He says that he is trying to get rid of the evil in him but should Mary believe him or not?

I picked this book up because I rea...more
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'Reckoning' is the sequel to 'Bloodline' which I read last month. It picks up from the events of the previous book and revisits the characters of Mary Seward and Quincey Harker - the latter who was supposed to be responsible for ensuring the Dracula bloodline did not die out.

I found the story utterly gripping. I read it in one evening because once I'd picked it up I couldn't bring myself to put it down until I'd followed the story to its conclusion. I would definitely recommend that you don't st...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Story Siren for TeensReadToo.com

Even though it's been two years since Mary fled Castle Dracula for her life, she is still haunted by the images she saw and the monster that was once her fiancé. She hides away, using her father's frail condition as a reason to stay at home and refrain from socializing. Her father suspects her fear and encourages Mary to move on and not dwell on the evil that exists in the world.

At a party held by the adoptive parents of the baby she saved at Cast...more
Robin
After finishing the sequel, I thought, 'that was okay, I think I'll read the other one now'. So I bought it, read it, and finished it in about three hours because I'm a really fast reader. I had noticed from the first book that Cary likes to keep her characters to a minimum, therefore I quickly realised what was going on. I have to say, this book was a lot more sexual than the first - the whole Quincey and Rebecca thing was mildly creepy. I mean, she just appeared out of nowhere and they started...more
Cansu
Jen
I enjoyed this book as well. Once again the ending left me a bit cold, but only because it didn't really tie up all the loose ends. I think the author had intended to do a third novel and wasn't able to. The story ends but it's more of a pause than a true ending.
Silvia (Darkest Sins)
I was fascinated about the first book ("Bloodline") and I read "Reckoning" very quickly, I couldn't put it down until I'd read the very last page!

I really liked how Kate Cary wrote this book, I think she did an amazing job. It was good to read about two point of views (Mary and Quincey), it helped to know better the main characters and understand their real emotions. But two things made this book particularly exciting to read: the first is that you constantly ask yourself if everyone can be trus...more
Kabs
Excellent twists and turns!

You'll find yourself second guessing your every judgement! Each character grows tremendously in this book, and the new characters are a great help to the plot.
Stephanie
I am disappointed. Not because the book is bad. I loved the book and the relationship between Mary (? been a while since I read this?) and Quincy. What I am disappointed about is this: I read the books in middle school. I loved it, and was so certain that there would be a world-ending, amazing third book to finish the series! Travel to the present, and no 3rd book exists. I've been left hanging wondering whether it will ever work out between the two main characters. And then there's john (is tha...more
Dayna Smith
The sequel to Bloodline. A wonderful, very Stoker-like, continuation of the Dracula story. Mary Seward has returned to Purfleet. Now that she knows the truth of vampires she finds she is afraid of the dark. Is she being foolish or has the evil she escaped followed her home? At her father's funeral she sees Quincey Harker and believes he has come after her and killed her father to hurt her? But is Quincey the guilty one? Or is he trying to fight the evil within him as he claims? Mary finds hersel...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This one's 3.5 because something seemed off about this one.

While I loved the first book, the sequel is something else, sort of.

Harker, from the last one, seemed different in this one. Especially Mary.

Then there's John. I was like, so are you just biding your time or what?

Then again, after what he's been through in the last book, then its kind of understandable. What with being in the army, learning what Harker really is, trying to his sister and all that. Then just snapped.

It does continue wher...more
Bree
I suppose it's a show of impact, for good or bad, when I follow the impulse to throw a book across a room. That's what I did at the end of Reckoning.
Through half the book I rolled my eyes, even laughed at absurd little twists that messed with my canonical view of Dracula. Yet for the last 80 pages or so I was completely entranced, flipping pages at record speed, engrossed in every detail. Then I reached the end and threw the book across the room. Because against all me better judgement, against...more
Jen Bojkov
Same feeling with this one as with the first. Nice creepy atmosphere maintained. I'm hoping for a third...
Michelle Wiles
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and it had me guessing until the very end. I would definitely recommend.
Clare
If possible, even worse than the first book. Quincey and Mary went from hating each other to being desperately in love "body and soul" in the space of about two pages. And Mary kept flitting back and forth from "of course the evil vampire is going good" to "god, how could I trust him he killed everyone" to "Hmm he is a good kisser". It all seemed a bit weird to me and after the first couple of flips back and forth it just got annoying. This book felt like it didn't really need to be written. It...more
Chris Wolak
Apr 14, 2008 Chris Wolak rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vampire fans, young adult and adult
Shelves: horror, young-adult
Once I finished Bloodline, I had to run out and get this 2nd book in the series. I prepared myself to be disappointed, since sequels are often lackluster, but I was not. This book was just as good as the second. Both books in the series could be twice as long. Reading a long you can just taste the sections of the book where the author could have expanded things. This series is a nice departure from all of the sex laden adult vampire novels out there. If you're looking for a nice, simple vampire...more
Jojo
OH. MY. GOSH. I read the end and I'm like "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, DANG IT?!?!" I mean the whole Rebecca/Quincey thing was pretty gross, but at least I got some insight on why he's so moody all the time. As much as I hate to admit, Mary just really lowered her standards. Sure, Quincey is gorgeous and muscular, but that doesn't mean you have to fall in love with him. I mean, didn't you just escape Castle Dracula to get away from vampires?
All in all, though, Cary did an amazing job.
Melanie Carter
It had a happy ending, which is great. But it was also left open, which makes me wonder about book three?
I changed my rating on the last book, cause I liked this one better. Dunno why, I think because it is less predictable and the characters have more dimension now. Alicia, you were right, when it was over-I so wanted there to be a third book!! Quincey finally fights his nature (that storyline reminds me so much of Moonlight, the tv show), the struggle and all that. Mary is a determined, desperate character in this book-I just thought there was much more to her.
Kayla Gough
This book was hands down amazing. It was absolutely stunning, billiant, and genius. It demonstrates that love can be unconditional, no matter what you are or what you have done. Though both lovers have lost their former fiances, and have once hated each other for what they were, fate has brought them together, and with each other, they will flourish in their forbidden love.

Its just heartbreakingly beautiful. I love it.

Courtney Reanier
Have you ever gotten so lost in a book that you forget about the essence of time... well this is a perfect example of one of those books for me. I don't know wether it is the suspense that grabs me or the utterly horrible gore and horror or even the romance that they sneak in. all I know is I couldn't put the book down! after I finished I just wanted to indulge in more and more but sadly this is the end of the series!
Trevor
Aug 03, 2007 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teen horror/gothic readers and those looking for "vampire" books
Shelves: teen-lit-read
The action moves swiftly, and like with other journal novels, readers hope things are going to end well assuming there are pages left to read. Seeing as how different characters’ journals are part of the whole, there is some suspense left for the reader to feel! The book’s climax is packed with blades, blood, and holy water, and leaves a tiny shred of hope that this is not the last Bloodline offering.
suzanne
Wooow. I have literally no words for this book.
Benny
I like the outcome of the story. Yet I knew straight away what the story line would be. I immensely enjoyed reading it. It kept me guessing, even though I knew the answer. Which was something I loved about it. If you love a good vampire challenged romance novel, with a little gore. Then I recommend it. I, myself cannot wait for the next book.
  • The Kiss of Death (My Swordhand is Singing, #2)
  • Zero Hour (Department 19, #4)
  • London, 1850 (Vampire Plagues, #1)
  • Angelmonster
  • Cocoa and Chanel (Chanel, #1)
  • The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet,  #3)
  • After Dark (Vamps, #3)
  • A Prince Among Killers (Oathbreaker, #2)
  • Beautiful City of the Dead
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Third Son
  • Persistence of Memory (Den of Shadows, #5)
  • Night Road
  • The Year of Disappearances (Ethical Vampire, #2)
  • Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River No. 1) (Book 1)
  • Bad Blood
  • Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)
  • Sleeping Angel (Ravenwood Mysteries, #3)
Kate Cary is a writer of fiction for children and young adults.

She is one of three writers of a best-selling series of middle grade books called WARRIORS, published by Working Partners through HarperCollins, under the pseudonym Erin Hunter.

She is the writer of the BLOODLINE series of novels.
More about Kate Cary...
Bloodline (Bloodline, #1) Bloodline Book Two: Reckoning Gemma James Egyptian Adventure (Magic Jewellery) Gemma James Pirate Adventure (Magic Jewellery) Digger, Dumper And Dozer (Reading Heroes: Level 1)