Start by marking “The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (Potter 23 Tales, Book 15)” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (Potter 23 Tales, Book 15)

The Tale of Ginger and Pickles (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Ginger, a yellow tom-cat, and Pickles, a terrier, run a very popular general store but soon run into trouble because they give everyone unlimited credit.
Published September 1st 1987 by Warne (first published January 1st 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Ginger and Pickles

Lesley
This tale has surprising relevence in today's economy, as Pickles and Ginger run a store that fails--because they give an open credit line to anyone and everyone. Trying to bill the other animals doesn't work, so they close their store and have to find other work. Meanwhile, the other little stores in the story that take cash only survive. Huh.
Elaine
In real life i dont like Ginger and Pickles, i remove them whenever i see them in my food. Haha! Oh well story was a okay, i dont really understand the story, haha i am confused perhaps.. hmmm...
Jonathan
In 1909 Beatrix Potter foresaw the ways that retailing would go, and these are the lessons I have learnt from her study:
1. Don't give credit.
2. People have no understanding of value-for-money.
Jace Jc
The book had great illustrations in it and the plot was was good but only up until the last part--that part was NOT good(for me, yeah... I didn't like it). Some parts of the book was rather confusing for me--and I'm in high school! I didn't get why such things would happen and how other things are considered "law" and such but I had taken into consideration that this short story(make that really short story) is a "Children's Novel". But at my age, I didn't get some parts of it. I would give this ...more
RH Walters
Combines whimsy and weltschmerz with great drawings.
B-zee
Kisah Ginger dan Pickles nya agak nanggung, kalau dilihat dari sisi masalah ekonomi di daerah itu. Agak kurang mantap juga dengan penyelesaiannya. Intinya, memang ketiadaan tanggung jawab bisa merugikan orang lain, tapi orang-orang (atau boneka-boneka dan hewan-hewan) yang tidak bertanggung jawab kok rasanya tetap tenang-tenang saja.

Bagian yang paling saya suka adalah pembukaannya, tentang Ginger yang tidak tega melayani para tikus, dan penjelasan tentang kata 'credit' itu keren dengan caranya s
Mariamarta Lee
best quote:
'it would not do to eat our own customers!'
Jill
3.5 stars.

I'm not an expert on British currency so a little of this was lost on me, but I still enjoyed reading it to my children. Beatrix Potter's illustrations are timeless and appealing in their seemingly contradictory simplicity and detail. This tale read so much like a bedtime story from a favorite relative told to her little charges as a last-minute request that it was throughly enjoyed.

Though I am now curious about British economics at the time.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
So Ginger and Pickles own a shop and give everyone credit resulting in them going bankrupt, and everyone is pissed they stay in the neighborhood. Then bitchy chicken takes over the shop and everything is fine and everyone is paid. WTH! It would seem to be a moral on extending credit... but I can't be sure. Also, the doll people are freakin' me out.
Kaethe
I politely disagree with Lesley's review. While the book is strongly slanted in favor of a cash-only economy, it ignores the social value of credit, and too, it ignores the importance of a social safety-net. Dangerously regressive, this book attempts to inculcate a false feeling of financial equality between not only individuals of specific species, but also between all species. Furthermore, it perpetuates harmful stereotypes of terriers and encourages police profiling of same.

I bought it. Well,
Farina♥Moon♥Eclipse
Apr 05, 2015 Farina♥Moon♥Eclipse rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatrix Potter Fans or Animal Classic Readers

This story is about Ginger (cat) and Pickles (dog) who run a shop, where they give unlimited credit to their customers, and as a result go out of business..
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Liz Jennings
Mary Cate

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH I READ IT A LOT .SERIOUSLY I'M NOT KIDDING. I HAVE A CAT. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
Ginny
I love the books that include characters from the other books, even if they make just a brief appearance.
Julie
The only i have ever found children's book that teaches children about credit. Very humorous but at first a difficult read only because it was so novel. I keep pausing, thinking 'is it really saying that?'My children are under 5 and I think it was hard to get them involved in the story. It had the cuteness and simplicity of potters other books. It was humorous. The cat badly wanted to eat the mice customers and the dog was in trouble with the law for not renewing his dog license. Of the Potter b ...more
Melle
What the hell did I read? Is this a treatise on capitalism?

Zelda's review: l;./op
Sara
Short and cute. Not a Beatrix Potter story I've heard of before.
Ilze
I find all the mini's/illustrations too cute!
Dan
Relevant still, and a good way to bring up money with children.
Natasha
A strange story about a cat and a dog running a shop together. For some reason they let everyone have the stuff for free and then seem surprised when they can't pay their bills.
Alicia
You either are or aren't a Beatrix Potter fan, but this is one of her best! I used this when I worked as the Junior School Librarian at a posh Prep School to teach 1st and 2nd graders about the evils of credit and how poor Ginger and Pickles, a cat and dog who ran a General Store and gave credit to their customers, overextended themselves and ultimately had to declare bankruptcy. An excellent way to teach the ways and means of living within your means to the small fry set.
Janet
A lovely book with beautiful illustrations, but I did feel sorry for Ginger and Pickles.
Akemi
Ginger the cat & Pickles, a terrier own a village shop patronized by furry customers. But it's not without its temptations, as Ginger asks Pickles to wait on the mice. "I cannot bear," said the cat, "to see them going out the door carrying their little parcels." I loved the illustrations & the story was thoughtful.
Sam
A beautiful little tale follow Ginger and Pickles as they try and run their shop giving open credit to friends who sadly take advantage of their good faith. Superbly written and beautifully illustrated in Potter's usual graceful style, a story that will appeal to adults and children alike.
Chris
I never really read Potter when I was a child. I'm not sure why. I did read Peter Rabbit. I have some of the illustrations. Anyway, after reading Allison Lurie's essay about Potter, I decided to check out more her books. This book is extremely timely and far more than just a children's book.
Klelly
Two crazy shopowners run their business by allowing unlimited credit. They eventually get summoned, and the shop is shut down. "Ginger is living in the warren. I do not know what occupation he pursues; he looks stout and comfortable. Pickles is at present a gamekeeper." Things seem to work out.
Polly
Another one we only got from the library occasionally when I was a kid (we owned most but not all of Beatrix Potter in my mother's childhood editions), so I have not such a good memory of it, but did find it oddly compelling due to unfamiliarity at the time, I believe.
Emkoshka
Real world economics intrudes into the farmyard community as Ginger and Pickles realise the consequences of providing unlimited store credit to their customers. Truly! Lots of old favourite characters make cute cameos as they go about their free-for-all shopping.
Prashant
I believe there is a lesson somewhere but couldn’t find where. The story starts with a store named Ginger and Pickles which has to eventually shut down because it gave things on credit and eventually no money came in. That’s about it.
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • Frog on His Own
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • The Sea Serpent and Me
  • My Goodnight Book
  • The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln (Picture Book Biography)
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Dear Laura: Letters from Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Babar and Zephir
  • Julius
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny