Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8) (MacEnroy, #2)

Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8) (Murray Family #8)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,399 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Sir Diarmot MacEnroy, deciding his illegitimate children need a mother and his keep needs a proper lady, now stands before the altar with a gentle bride he hopes is too shy to disrupt his life or break his heart. The nuptials, however, are interrupted by the appearance of a flame-haired beauty carrying two babies, boldly claiming that she is his wife and mother of his twin...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published November 1st 2003 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8)

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
151st out of 408 books — 1,310 voters
The Darkest Hour by Maya BanksSomeone to Watch Over Me by Lisa KleypasWait for Me by Elisabeth NaughtonUntil You by Judith McNaughtHeart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh
Amnesia themed Romance
98th out of 123 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan (susayq ~)

As anyone can tell from my TBR list, I have this thing for Scottish Lairds. And I couldn't resist this book. It was my first Hannah Howell book and I enjoyed it. I have to be honest though, I think Ilsa should have knocked the snot out of Dairmot long before he started to woo her. In fact, I don't think he should have ever gotten to the wooing stage in their marriage. He didn't suffer/repent near long enough for the pain he caused her. Yes, he had been attacked and lost his memory, but...more
willaful
“Just as the priest asked if anyone knew why Diarmot and Margaret could not marry there was a disturbance at the doors of the church and a clear, angry woman’s voice said, ‘I think I might have a reason or two.’

Shocked, Diarmot looked behind him and his eyes widened. Marching towards him was a tiny woman with brilliant copper hair. Behind her strode eight large, scowling, red-haired men. She held a bundle in her arms and a small, dark-haired girl walked beside her carrying another.”

I’m mostly ov...more
June
Diarmot MacEnroy and Ilsa meet, fall in love, marry and make promises to one another that are not kept after Diarmot is beaten half to death left for dead and with no memory of the marriage or promises he made to Ilsa. One year later Ilsa, along with 7 of her 14 brothers and twin sons go in search of MacEnroy. Ilsa is in for several shocking surprises that neither the reader or Ilsa expect. First, they find Diarmot kneeling at the altar about to marry another woman. The next surprise comes soon...more
Jill
I liked the story line of this book--that Ilsa and Diarmot were hand-fasted but he did not remember her after being beaten nearly to death. That being said, I did get a little impatient w/ his continued suspicions of her after they were married properly and had spent time together. I thought it was overdone and a bit contrived. I did like the characters, however, and will be looking forward to reading about some of supporting characters in future books.
Holly
Howell follows a formula for her novels; tiny heroine with a big personality falls for giant hero who is mistrustful because of a past girlfriend/mostress/wife who screwed him over. She decodes to fight for his love by being herself and he falls for her in spite of himself.

This one deviates in that the heroine has 14 large brothers and the hero has 6 bastard children.

Dairmot was a complete ass, which isn't new for Howell either. I didn't mind so mich, though, because I read her hooks for the h...more
Sara Mitchell
Diarmot MacEnroy has decided its time to find a wife and mother to his children. As he's getting ready to be married, his wedding is invaded by a tiny redhead woman and a horde of giant redheads who happen to be her brothers. It turns out Ilsa Cameron is his hand-fasted wife and mother of his twins. Diarmot was involved in accident shortly after being hand-fasted to Ilsa and he suffered from memory loss. He now has a wife he doesn't remember. Ilsa is very upset and hurt that the man she loves ha...more
Shelley Hoerauf
Love Hannah Howell Highland romance books. I'd rate Highland Groom a 4.5☆, but rating system doesn't allow so moved it to 5☆. I have read this book about 4 times now. I enjoy it more with each read. It has romance, mystery, intrigue, and of course nice sex scenes (but not overdone). I would highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys historical romances especially Highland romances. I will continue to read and reread her Murray family & related series books. She's an excellent author wh...more
Brandy *Ahviel*
I have to say for never reading any of the other books in the series I thought this book was good.

It starts off with Ilsa talking with her brothers about the fact that her hand fasted husband still has not come for her a year later and she has his twin sons that do need a father. Her brother insist upon traveling to find the jerk husband. Upon finding the thought dead husband Diarmot MacEnroy, Ilsa discovers he is about to marry another woman and has no memory of who she is nor the relationship...more
Chandra
AUTHOR: Hannah Howell is a wonderful Historical Romance author. Many of her series settings are in the Scottish Highlands.

SYNOPSIS –
The relatives in this book branch off from Connor MacEnroy of HIGHLAND BRIDE and who is married to Gillyanne of the Murray clan. DIARMOT MacENROY has been beaten to the point of having lost his memory. ILSA CAMERON is striving to help him remember his relationship with her. Hand fasting; Eight children; Attempts to murder; Clan of redheads; Previous wife; Lovers

(5 o...more
Cruth
"He was beginning to think that all the Camerons were slightly mad." loc.3326

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2003
Length: 4501 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1471.
Sex: frequent, reasonably erotic. Sex before marriage, and, as a result of a handfasting she has twin boys. (view spoiler). Diarmot's nursery has 6 children before Ilsa arrives; only one is from his wife (Alice). Others are "probably" his. The late wife was extremely promiscuous and u...more
Elle
Another story where the heroine is way too busy making excuses for the hero treating her like crap. Yes, some of his behavior is understandable. But he convicts, judges, and punishes her again and again with no evidence. The ending does work, though. And there's some good adventure.

I love alpha-jerk heroes, but I usually prefer heroines who kick back rather than doormats. The books in this series are rare exceptions, I guess because instead of just dumbly suffering the meanness of the hero, the...more
Kayla
In this book Dairmot marries the beautiful Ilsa and then gets attacked and obtains a head injury and loses his memory. One year later right when Dairmot is going to marry a new woman, Margaret, Ilsa and a horde of her brother show up with their babies. Now the battle is on to fight her way back into Dairmot's life and bed. On top of this someone is after Dairmot trying to kill him and now Ilsa is in the crossfire. Now Ilsa and Dairmot have to try to discover not only who is trying to kill him, b...more
Bridget
Ilsa falls in love with Diamot while he is visiting her home and they become handfast (informally married) Leaving, he promises to return soon, but one year and a set of twin boys later, there is no word. She is the beloved sister of her large male clan and they descend on Diamot's holding on the day he is about to wed another. Diamot has lost his memory after a severe beating and does not remember his handfast wife. When written proof if presented, the marriage changes to bring the two together...more
Staci
One of the better Murray family novels, even though, ironically the love story is not actually about a Murray. Diarmot is brother in law to Gillyanne and Ilsa will eventually be a cousin-in-law (if that is a real term) to Kiera but neither Diarmot nor Ilsa is a Murray by birth. Ilsa might as well be though. The only girl in a family of fifteen, she is not a sweet, placid lady. Like Howell's other novels, the man starts off as somewhat of an idiot about the woman he will eventually realize he lov...more
Kathrynn
I believe this is Sigimor's sister. She handfasted to Diarmot MacEnroy (trial marriage that expires in one year unless "real" marriage takes place). He returns to his lands to settle matters and was supposed to come back for her, but doesn't. There's a reason, though.

She gives birth to twins and when the year approaches, her brothers take her to Dairmot's castle to confront him for abadoning her. They end up arriving at the most inopportune time...

The whole trust issue was really beat to death h...more
Amanda Penley
i enjoy all of her books
Donna
This was a very entertaining story. Really liked the highland setting, Ilsa's brothers, Diarmot's assorted kids, and all the humour. Ilsa was one feisty heroine and a good match for Diarmot, but there were times when I could have given him a smack about the head because of his stubbornness. Smooth writing, great pacing, some moments of suspense, and a satisfying conclusion.

This is the first book in this series that I've read but I look forward to meeting more of these characters in their own bo...more
Neale Sourna
Another interesting love story. The relationships are always dynamic, realistic and unique. There is some overly repetitious replay of themes, and an odd reveal that should not have been revealed. At least it was nearly 200 pages after I thought of it, but it ruined the feel it would have had if it hadn't been just blatantly exposed. Characters are the best, as usual. Final conflict with enemies a bit questionable but HH doesn't like fights to be too well done or extended.
Michelle
Ah, those fiery Camerons. I think they are my favorite family in the Howell universe. This was a fun read, although not my favorite Howell story. Poor Ilsa had to really overcome a lot to hang on to her man. Diarmot was pretty much an ass throughout the book, but it wasn't all his fault. I think I liked learning more about Ilsa's brother Sigimore the most of this entire story. I wouldn't read this one unless you want to have a nice introduction to the Camerons.
Tali_KL
Another great book. Loved the H&h even if he was a right pig to the H initially. The children in the book were brilliant too especially Odo!
K
Mar 07, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: fan of series
Overall I found this story an enjoyable read, and thoroughly enjoyed the story. I loved the courage and determination of Ilsa, and watching Diarmot fall under her spell. I was relieved to see that the story was more similar to the earlier books w/out the "heavy" theme present throughout the last book (those who have read it will get what I mean). I will def recommend this book and the series to other readers.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Diarmot and Ilsa make a good match. I was impressed in how Ilsa marched into the church with her babies and stopped his wedding to that seemingly mellow woman. His first wife was not worth a damn and I am glad Ilsa totally integrated herself into his illegitimate children's lives. I like the characters and the writing so I'll probably read more of this series. Great read!!
Karen
I really enjoyed this story of Diarmot MacEnroy and Ilsa Campbell. It was a fairly predictable plot but enjoyable in any case. I really liked that the author had included the children of the keep in the story. I find that the further along I get in this series, once I finish one book I am keen to get on to the next.
Amy Parnell
The plot was good, but the way the heroine, Isla, behaved was drenched in martyrdom. She put up with suspicsion and rudeness throughout the entire book all while trying to prove love that she shouldn't have had to. Her self-sacrificing got to be a little much.

Other than that, I liked it.
Shauni
I read all of Ms Howell's books Back to Back to Back.. while this is a fun series I seriously do not recommend anyone doing so. The plots tend to be repetitious and run together. If you want to enjoy the Murray Clan, take your time.. there is much to enjoy just one at a time.
Maggie Humphreys
Started this book but could not finish it, dull, dull, dull. Felt no connection between the hero and heroine. Found the writing dull, my mind kept wandering while I read it. No atmosphere at all. This book is highly rated but it was just not for me.
Mia
Bought for some thing to read when I didnt have time to go to the bookstore. Saw it at the grocery store. Was really surprised at how good it was. I am reading another one of her books on the Highland clan right now and enjoying it just as much.
Kristen
Good Highlander book with mystery and romance. There were several times I could not stand the hero, Sir Diarmot because he was so mean to Ilsa. I loved Ilsa and all her red headed brothers.
I own this book on my Nook.
Johanna
A sexy, well made drama! A strong leading lady in an unusual predicament. Not your typical Historical Romance but good in all ways! As my first introduction to the Murray family, I look forward to reading more.
Morgan Stepek
I enjoyed it very much. I remember that much. As of right now though, I've read so many books since then it's hard to think of the plot for this one.
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin
  • The Warrior (Return of the Highlanders, #3)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Possessed By The Highlander (The MacLerie, #3)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)