Start by marking “Gulabi” as Want to Read:
Gulabi

Read Book

Gulabi

Schizophrenia is challenging disorder often characterized by abnormal social behaviour and a significantly altered perception of reality. Its treatment largely depends on medications and psychosocial interventions but no single approach is widely considered effective for all patients. Through this book I offer my readers a glimpse into the multifaceted world of ...more
Published 2014 by Cinnamon Teal

Aj the Ravenous Reader

”There might be an invisible line between what is known to the senses and what is known through memories, thoughts and impressions. How did this invisible fine line exist?”

After reading this short story, I believe the author’s answer to the question above is simply, “IT DOES NOT EXIST.” This is a very perplexing read but compelling at the same time. The author made a very bold and risky move in creating a short story that will question your senses and perception of what is real and not. I hav
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Jul 27, 2015 Maxine (Booklover Catlady) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Novella Readers, Eclectic Readers, Open Minded Readers
This book was unlike anything I have read in a long time, if not ever. I thank the author for approaching me to give his book a chance. I also admire his bravery in using writing as his experience of his own challenge with the much misunderstood mental condition of Schizophrenia. This was a wonderful piece of work that I could tell had a lot of heart and soul weaved through. Truth too.

Through this book I offer my readers a glimpse into the multifaceted world of schizophrenia in the form of ficti
Merril Anil
May 31, 2015 Merril Anil rated it it was ok
Where is it headed?

First of all a huge thanks to the author for providing me a copy of the book

Had i not read the author biography, this review would have been completely different. I guess the bio helped me understand the emotions and the background to the book a bit, but even being considerate the truth is that the book failed to reach its destination. In fact i am afraid it had a bad take off too.

Gulabi shows a parallel journey of two characters but the trouble is that both of their stori
Amber
Mar 31, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Pankaj Giri
May 28, 2015 Pankaj Giri rated it liked it
The author, Pankaj Suneja , sent me this e-book, Gulabi, in exchange of an honest review. Well, it was an extremely peculiar, dark book, I must admit. Very short too, merely 76 pages. Initially, I thought the language is average, but in certain places, the language and vocabulary shine too. Overall, I think the profoundness of the story overshadows the language, and the reader is immersed in the plot. The story of the schizophrenic patient, Monty is described adroitly. His characterization is go ...more
Madhulika Liddle
Jun 16, 2015 Madhulika Liddle rated it it was ok
After the abrupt end of a relationship, Monty finds himself emotionally adrift and commits suicide. But does he, really? Because while his half-Kuwaiti, half-New Zealander friend Virginia goes off on a sabbatical, touring the world and trying to discover life and herself, Monty finds a confidant: Gulabi. Gulabi, whom no-one else but he can see or hear, but who is more real to Monty than anyone else.

The note at the end of Gulabi explains that the author Pankaj Suneja went through a psychotic epi
Mehnaz
Jan 17, 2016 Mehnaz rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

This book disappointed me. The plot was very intriguing and unlike any I have ever read, and I am pretty sure that I would have enjoyed it more if it was well-written.
At first it was really difficult for me to grasp what was happening in the story, and it took me a while to understand. I had to go back and read the description of the story a couple of times to understand what was happening.
The writing was pretty bland, but at some places it was good, too. There were large chunks of info
Souvik Khamrui
Jul 06, 2015 Souvik Khamrui rated it really liked it
Very good. Author's conceptualization deserves accolade.
Nishtha
Jul 01, 2015 Nishtha rated it really liked it
Ipshita
Dec 28, 2015 Ipshita rated it it was ok
Shelves: stories, asian, 2015-reads
It is one thing to maintain suspense in a story for the sake of its quality, but quite another to let the story perplex its readers. It might be because I’m not used to reading psychological novels that made it difficult for me to get a proper foothold. All I could do for most of the story is make random guesses hoping to get the hang of the plot, before the end of the story at least, which took a definite toll on my enjoyment factor.

I did, however, find no fault with the writing. The concept de
Nandini Pradeep J
May 20, 2015 Nandini Pradeep J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, this was like an interesting experiment because you have before you characters who normalize the abnormal; the unreal is real. Or rather only the unreal is real. I agree these are very subjective notions but this is what I felt after reading the first few pages of the book (and oh...I found this rather short.. I wished to read more)..
This is interesting, yet again, for another reason: Though I started reading expecting to find a schizophrenic character and an array of his psychosis, I t
Carla
Jul 12, 2015 Carla rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author for an honest review. I think before reading this book, one should read exactly how this book came about. Interestingly, the author is schizophrenic and while completing his Master of Arts degree in Psychology, and while trying to understand the schizophrenic mind and write, stopped taking his medication. He hallucinated the person Gulabi. He then write a story ( I don't know that I'd call it a book at 76 pages) about a man Monty meeting Gulabi ...more
Rishita
Apr 25, 2015 Rishita rated it liked it
First of all I would like to thank Pankaj Suneja for sending a copy of his book for an honest review.
This book tells the story of two people: Monty and Virginia. Monty is a college student who just broke up with his long distance girl friend and Virginia's boyfriend just left her for his family. This story shows us how Monty and Virginia deal with their situations. As a student of psychology I loved the insight this book gave me on schizophrenia and psychosis.
Coming to my experience of reading
Rebecca McNutt
Gulabi is an interesting little book following two protagonists. Monty is a troubled university student, and Virginia, his girlfriend, leaves him to travel the world. While Monty's life spirals downward, Virginia's life is fun and exciting. But will they both eventually meet again? This book is a surreal and sad look into schizophrenia and the mind, written in a very unconventional and original style.
Sloane L.
Aug 21, 2015 Sloane L. rated it it was amazing
This is a must read!!!! It is very heavy and filled with difficult and painful experiences but its raw and real and perfect.
amazing, beautiful and heart wrenching book. At a couple points while reading this book I cried which doesn't usually happen to me. I loved reading this book and I definitely recommend it to all book lovers
Palak
Oct 27, 2014 Palak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read!
I read this book recently and I have to say, I am completely blown away. His writing style is fresh and unique. The writer exposes the stories in such a way that you are left thinking about questions you should have asked and questions you start asking yourself. This book left me in a thinking trance mode for days. I am looking forward to read more from him!
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
Review to follow soon :)
Shwetha HS
Apr 21, 2015 Shwetha HS rated it really liked it
The book opens with a very good quote of Calvin in the movie Ruby Sparks. From that quote, you can easily comprehend the theme of the story. I will not mention the quote here for the sake of the story. This story strengthens the general notions about relationships; one, long distance relationships seldom work and two, as humans we have a constant desire to be in a relationship. It will seem like the author is experimenting with parallel narration, but you will get to know later that he is not. ...more
Solomon Manoj
Note: The author was kind enough to send me an e-book for review. Thanks Pankaj!
Rating: 3.5

Schizophrenia, I know, the term sounds too complicated. Everyone at a point of time must have had the symptoms such false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, auditory hallucinations (how many of us hear our cellphone ringing when it is not ;).

The author has taken an effort to breakdown the complexity of the disorder and gives us glimpse of the cause, the symptoms and its effect on an individual. Thr
Tarique Ejaz
Jun 08, 2015 Tarique Ejaz rated it liked it
Gulabi. As the name suggests, the story isn't at all rosy in any way yet it is one that tends to stay with you at the end and seriously make you ponder upon what you've read. Not only is the story crisp in its narration and downright to the point, the author maintains that tempo of mystery and the uncertainty that appears to cloud the judgment and thought-process of one and all from time to time.

Having read through the story, I felt wanting. I felt as if 'This can't be it.' and that in itself sp
Deepak Sharma
Thanks a lot to Pankaj for giving me the book for reading.

Its a different kind of book to the ones I read. Its interesting book to read.

Monty is out of his long distance relation with his girlfriend and is state of depression. Virginia is also out of a relation with a married partner.
Monty finds Gulabi and the sweet relation starts.
The feeling that you can see someone and not touch. That someone can leave you just by your thoughts is beautifully portrayed.
And then you realize that everything is
Maria
Apr 21, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
GULABI is an unusual read, a novella which unconventional to say the least. It’s a short read in which there are two protagonists who, for the most part, lead totally separate lives. Their lives to intersect at a point, but then one of them dies, continuing his life in an undead sort of way. And no, he’s not a vampire. After that, the paths diverge. Will they meet again? Do they even care if they do?

Gulabi, an Indian character, appears intermittently to one of the protagonists, when he crosses o
Sarath Babu
Apr 19, 2015 Sarath Babu rated it it was amazing
Well,

What can I say about this book??

To be honest, as soon as I got the book, I started reading it and as and when the story progressed, I started thinking as to who this author is and where is he taking the story but only in the end I could be able to realize the actual essence of the story.

This is a short story but has got few characters within it. Hence I would suggest the readers to finish it in one go because if you give a break and come back to read, you may not be able to take it forward
Darlene Cruz
Mar 31, 2015 Darlene Cruz rated it liked it
I understand the concept of this story but honestly I got lost here. I did not feel engage enough to render an understanding of the not so obvious. The psychosis and hallucination I definitely saw through your words. The experiences of episodes was an eye opener for me and this caused me to read further. Why I got lost throughout the book? Distinguishing the characters, is it he or was it she? Don't get me wrong I applaud the effort and experiment to bring forth awareness of schizophrenia and ...more
Mizuki
Aug 12, 2015 Mizuki rated it liked it
The author Pankaj Suneja sent me the pdf of his creation for a honest review, I thank him for that.

The story and the writing reminds me a bit of the magical realism of Haruki Marakami's novels, but as a whole the text and the characters feel a bit flat and not enough juice had been added into them. Although the chaotic state of mind the MC is being trapped in is interesting enough, there are rooms for improvement, 3 stars.
Ravi Gangwani
Jun 04, 2015 Ravi Gangwani rated it liked it
It was good. I liked it.
Though the writings were little lame and emotions were little loose. In fact sometimes intangible. But situations has taken them over and looked perfectly real.
The story, till from start to end, was gripping.
Nice read.
The world of hallucinations, of Monty, convincingly moved me in the spiral where he was slipping. I liked the word 'Modality'.
Vishnu Brahmandam
Dec 05, 2015 Vishnu Brahmandam rated it it was ok
A twisted version of Ruby Sparks

I have received a RC(Reading Copy) from the author to review the book; Gulabi.

Let me just get to the point:
I don't usually read dark novels because they end up taking a toll on me. But being in love with books, I couldn't stop myself.

It was surprisingly shorter than I expected.
The reason it took so long for me to review this is because I keep getting headaches every time I think about this book.
Not because it's bad or anything. It's just a little troubling.

The a
Medini

Thanks to the author for providing a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my rating/review in any way.

Around a week back, I had attended a class on psychiatry. The one thing that stands out particularly for me is that my faculty stressed repeatedly, by giving various examples from his own practise, the difficulties which people with schizophrenia face. What they face and go through cannot be imagined by anyone except themselves. Even their loved ones do not s
Marie Abanga
Jul 14, 2014 Marie Abanga rated it really liked it
I am so much in awe at how brilliantly mental health patients can write. My understanding of the whole notion of mental health and 'patients', has forever been changed. This book, recounts through short and easy to follow fictitious stories, Monty's and Virginia's way of coping with what I will simply call Mental Illness. Although Pankaj thinks Virginia is the non psychotic character, I beg to differ on that because I see her manifesting some of those symptoms like not trusting people, ...more
Misha Husnain Ali
Jun 06, 2015 Misha Husnain Ali rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I was offered a free digital copy of this book by the author in return for an honest review.

This is a bit of an oddity. The book is a bit short for my taste, clocking in at 76 pages including some very large type, a few pages of praises for the book, as well as an author biography of sorts at the end (which I personally thought would have been better as a foreword).

Suneja has some interesting ideas to share, but his somewhat stilted use of the language hampers his ability to fully co
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Disjointed but this is how it is supposed to be? 2 4 Aug 30, 2015 05:01AM
what do you think about this review of Gulabi? 2 11 Aug 28, 2015 05:47AM
  • The Crossover Year
  • Baramulla Bomber
  • Shattered Dreams (Ramayana: the Game of Life, #2)
  • Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild
  • Life and Death in One Breath
  • India's War: World War II and the Making of Modern South Asia
  • Kamadeva: The God of Desire
  • Soul Warrior (The Age of Kali, #1)
  • Get To The Top: The Ten Rules For Social Success
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • You Are the Best Wife
  • The Other Side
  • Chanakya's 7 Secrets of Leadership
  • An End to the Thrill
  • One Life To Ride: A Motorcycle Journey To The High Himalayas
  • Shadows in the Sun: Healing from Depression and Finding the Light Within
  • The Divine Command (Comeback Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
Here's where you can buy author's book:

Amazon.in:

Amazon.com

Flipkart:

Smashwords:

P
More about Pankaj Suneja...