Start by marking “Premonition (City of God, #2)” as Want to Read:
Premonition (City of God, #2)

Premonition (City of God #2)

What If …?
What if you were studying for your Ph.D. in archaeology and somehow got trapped in first-century Jerusalem after a controversial physics experiment went horribly wrong?

What if you knew from your history books that a kind and decent man was going to be murdered by the powers-that-be, all because of stupid politics?

What if you could prevent the murder, but you
Published May 22nd 2014 by DitDat, Inc. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Premonition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Premonition

Karis
Jun 20, 2014 Karis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt the story and characters lost their way a bit in this sequel. I found myself skimming and thinking, "what's the point of this story?" In the first book the objective is pretty clear - save Paul. This one reads more like a family drama set in historical times, with little of the "modern people struggling with being put in another time" to make it interesting. I got frustrated with the characters' angstiness without sweet moments to redeem the situation. It also seemed to get more caught up ...more
Ellie
Mar 23, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be transported back to a time when the memory of Christ on earth was still fresh in the minds of men, both those who love Him and those who hate Him. Witness the struggles of those who would follow Him.... and see their questions and doubts mirror our own, not so different.
Journey along with Ari and Rivka, stranded in this time when they are more accustomed to life 2000 years later. Their attempts to fit into a culture far removed from their own seem to be thwarted at every turn, especially when
Lorie
Apr 23, 2014 Lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT I loved the continuation of this fast-paced, compelling story. After the shock of THE CLOSURE FOREVER of the wormhole, I admit I wondered how wise and wacky this author was - how could leaving the protagonists trapped there possibly be a good story line? But Ingermanson most certainly knew what he was doing; he asked his readers to trust him, and he more than came through! Ingermanson brought everything to this trilogy: characters you deeply care for, descriptions of the time and ...more
David Avoura King
Feb 05, 2016 David Avoura King rated it it was amazing
Great book with great story. You have to read the first book in the series to get the context, which I did. This story continues with Ari and Rivka, the time travellers from 2000 who now live in 1st Century Jerusalem. They struggle to fit in and make friends and enemies. We see the Apostle James (Yaakov the tsaddik) and various other historical characters.
This book really makes the early Church and their environment in Jerusalem come alive, it makes the New Testament more real. The author did a
MB
Jun 20, 2015 MB rated it it was ok
As the author is a physicist I had hoped for a high quality piece of science fiction. While I'm sure Ingermanson knows his field very well this did not translate into the writing and I was disappointed. It's not a terrible story by any means but it's not particularly good either.

One thing I did enjoy was the message of forgiveness, shown by different characters throughout the book. They all struggle to forgive those who have wronged them or their loved ones. Ultimately some fail and meet grisly
Gophergirl58
Mar 12, 2015 Gophergirl58 rated it it was amazing
Book #2 of this series was more enjoyable to me because it got right into the culture of Ancient Jerusalem (50 or 60 years or so after the death of Christ) and did not include much of the quantum physics that Book #1 had to cover (time travel). Ingermanson's depiction of the time period is fantastic, yet hard for me to read nonetheless because of the true-to-life way that women were treated. Ingermanson also portrays all the various peoples and religious influences during this time period, ...more
Sandra Barnett
Sep 19, 2015 Sandra Barnett rated it it was amazing
Awesome story of time travel to Jesus,Paul, and others.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat. I got an insight of biblical and physics terminology and the difference of Jewish sects. The excitement and suspense of each character. I was surprised during my bible reading in the book of Acts to several of these events in the book. I can't wait to read book 3. It's a blessing to read books by awesome Christian authors. I have my daughters reading the book too. I highly recommend this book. Just g
Karlie
Apr 12, 2015 Karlie rated it it was amazing
I stayed up late finishing this one. I was worried it wouldn't be as good as the first because it really goes about an entirely different approach as the characters are in the past and living there. I didn't care for the fact it jumped a bit forward from where the first one left off, but it ended up being ok. The things that happened in the jump get explained. I immediately bought the the 3rd one after reading this one. The author is doing a great job of time travel putting you right back into ...more
Kathy
Dec 18, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
Reasonably good sequel to the first book, although drags a little in the lives of the 21st century couple that now lives in 1st century Jerusalem. They are trying to survive in a very different time, and the wife is trying to remember the details of history for that time, so that she can predict what is going to happen. Since the Bible so often leaves out specific historical details, this is a difficult prospect. She is often wrong in her predictions leading to problems for her and her husband.
Janice Dick
Two historians from present-day America find themselves in first century Jerusalem. Knowing much about that period of history, especially through the writing of Josephus, they know the future. Some suspect them of witchcraft, while others think they are truly seers. But how much do they need to do to make sure history happens as it should (or as it did)? Author Randy Ingermanson grabs reader interest with well-described facts and fascinating premise.
Sue Southall
Jun 11, 2016 Sue Southall rated it liked it
Whilst this second in the series book carried the story forward, I found it not so enjoyable as the first. This was far more religion based and while I found the history of Judaism interesting I was not hooked on the story. I did not understand or relate to the lead characters' feelings or actions, and as 21st century personalities they should have resonated more with me, but they seemed much more 1st century characters in thought & reactions.
Having said all that, still a good read.
Adelle
Aug 25, 2014 Adelle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I felt quite invested in the characters. To be honest, I have just finished the series (couldn't stop reading long enough to do the reviews!) and I am very much looking forward to more books in this series. I feel like I know Ari and Rivka personally. What is really nice is that the series doesn't lose its momentum and in fact, improves with each book. Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.
Dave Wheeler
Apr 15, 2016 Dave Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Another great story.

If you enjoyed book one in this series then this won't disappoint or it didn't me anyway. Can be read without reading first but I'm glad I had. Time travel back to the first century AD. A time that shaped all our lives to day in many ways, but you can say that about any time but none was the same or as dynamic.
Dena
Jun 03, 2012 Dena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been enjoying these books even more than I thought. As I read passages from Not A Fan, this book is giving me a better picture of the context that Jesus teaches in, especially the perspective of the religious elite of the time. It's one thing to read it in the Bible and another to read characters that wore the qualities in a relatable way. Good story too. :)
Ann Thomas
Jul 21, 2014 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-christian
This is the second book in the City of God series and at least as good as the first one. Very little 'science fiction' in this book, but a cracking good story with suspense and tugs at the emotions. I won't give spoilers, but I burst into tears at one point. I couldn't wait to finish it and I can't wait to read the next one. Highly recommended.
Audrey
Rivka and Ari are scientists stuck in the first century from an experiment gone bad. Now they are forced to adjust to life during the days of the early church. The book gives a fascinating and accurate account of the years leading up to the Fall of Jerusalem. It shows clearly the danger and turmoil people faced during those turbulent times. I can't wait to read the next book.
Duawana Wilson
Aug 02, 2016 Duawana Wilson rated it it was amazing
This book is a great follow up to the first book. I absolutely loved seeing the changes in Ari and Rivka's faiths. All the main characters in this book finds out that their will is not always the right way to approach a situation. Some times one needs to wait on the Lord for the answer. I would recommend this series to all my friends. I cant wait to read the next book.
Barbara Carter
Sep 16, 2014 Barbara Carter rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, interesting novel. I love reading novels woven into Biblical time periods. Reminds me that period is as real as the one we in which we live!! Jesus walked real streets with real people! His disciples lived real lives after He ascended to Heaven. We are products of those disciples' faith, courage and diligence!!

Had to download book three immediately!
raymond g young
May 30, 2015 raymond g young rated it really liked it
Premonition, Book 2

The writer, a Physicist, does an excellent job with the setting in first century Jerusalem. He also does a great job of balancing the Hebrew words and culture with the average American understanding.
Rose
Dec 19, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing
The City of God series was a nice story for a change of pace. A time traveler adventure with a twist! Very well researched backgrounds and historical events blended with characters from the Bible being witnessed by modern age lost souls. Well worth reading several times, buy all three in the set.
A. Lee White
Feb 25, 2015 A. Lee White rated it it was amazing
Great fiction that reveals greater Truth

Second installment of first century history that brings Jeremias book about Jerusalem to life and brings us into contact with early Christians,their faith and their humanity.
Colleen Dane huthmaker
Aug 01, 2016 Colleen Dane huthmaker rated it it was amazing
On the edge of my seat

I loved the idea behind this book! It was so intense, kept me on the edge of my seat! TFTR
Gary
Sep 17, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in the series and really is an interesting concept. Good combination of a science fiction type of setting droping into a biblical era narrative. Just a really good book.
JB
Mar 24, 2016 JB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to finish this one. It seemed to drag in places. The constant repetition of names was a negative for me.
Paula Bryant
Jun 14, 2015 Paula Bryant rated it it was amazing
Even better

This was an absorbing read. Very enjoyable and thought provoking. Imaginative writing mixing facts and biblical writings into a fantasy of time travel.
Scotts Kindle
Jul 23, 2015 Scotts Kindle rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book

There were places where this story got very slow. It was all I could do to not skip a few pages. However over all it was a good story. Worth the read.
Clari
Feb 03, 2011 Clari marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple chapters of it in writers group. (ForEVER ago)...now I wanna finish it. :)
(Even tho I hate reading)
Kim
Jun 23, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Old idea but well executed. The cultural aspects were really interesting. I liked it a lot. Read in high school.
Tim Fay
Tim Fay rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Barbara Farnsworth
Barbara Farnsworth rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Fifth Man (Oxygen, #2)
  • Shivering World
  • A Treasure Deep (Perry Sachs #1)
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Jacob's Choice (Return to Northkill #1)
  • Depth of Deception (A Titanic Murder Mystery)
  • Flight to Eden
  • Mellington Hall
  • The Moving Prison: A Novel
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • The Last Guardian
  • Second Time Around
  • Go, Ivy, Go! (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #5)
  • Murder at the Mikado (Drew Farthering Mystery, #3)
  • Runner of Pern
  • A Heart Deceived
I'm a novelist, physicist, and fiction teacher. People around the world call me "the Snowflake Guy" because of my wildly popular "Snowflake method" for writing a novel.

I've published 6 novels and won about a dozen awards for my writing. I'm a theoretical physicist with a Ph.D. from UC Berkeley. I publish the world's largest electronic newsletter on how to write fiction. I run the software divisio
More about Randy Ingermanson...

City of God (3 books)
  • Transgression (City of God, #1)
  • Retribution (City of God, #3)

“Words were something, and it was a lie from the enemy to say words were nothing. Words were something, because words led to actions. As a man thinks, so he is. As he speaks, so he becomes.” 1 likes
“Rivka believed that HaShem was both all-good and all-powerful—so good that he created people, so powerful that he gave them free will. And that made evil possible. If men could not choose evil, then they were not free. Therefore, the existence of evil was proof of HaShem’s great power to create those who could choose to oppose him.” 0 likes