Start by marking “Prisoner of Sex” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Sex

Prisoner of Sex

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Here, by America's foremost candidate for the Nobel Prize, is the book that some fifteen years ago created a firestorm among true believeers of the women's liberation movement, and which on rereading and contemplation emerges as one of the most sensible, sensitive and probing works on the ageless dialectic of man, woman, man-woman ever to be written.

Unlike some of those wh

Published November 13th 1985 by Plume (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of Sex

Ben Loory
well, after that Gospel According to the Son debacle, i decided to channel my norman mailer thing into his non-fiction for a while... and i'm very glad i did, because this book was a lot of fun. when mailer makes sense, he makes a lot of sense, and when he doesn't, he's at least thrilling to read... never a dull moment along the way, though lots of semi-admirational head-scratching... the general vibe mailer gives off is of a man who above all believes in progress... in working towards personal, ...more
Ted Burke
There is much to argue with in "The Prisoner of Sex", and though I'm in sympathy with the aims of the women's movement, I cheer Mailers' defense of the artists right to use their sexuality and sense of the sensual world as proper fodder for poetic expression.

There are times when Mailer- the- mystic clogs up an otherwise lacerating argument,where his romanticism veers dangerously towards a lunatics hallucinations, but his defense of Miller, Lawrence and Genet against the clumsier moments of Mill
Michael
A distillation of Mailer's metaphysical ideas about sex, procreation, and the cosmological order of human relations, all in response to women's lib. Weak only when Mailer exclusively aims his cross-hairs on Kate Millet's idiotic-sounding Sexual Politics, and when he employ flowery prose when precision would have worked better toward making a point.
carl
not only was this an eye opening experience of mailer's writing, so far all my female friends that have read it have loved it as well, recommending it to their friends.
who else could be living with a woman, cooking and cleaning for her, her children, his own children and write a book like this but norman mailer?
Debbie
I decided to read this book because last year I read The Executioner's Song and it was fantastic. Well, this self indulgent mini-thesis on "love" by Mailer somewhat less than fantastic. In its defense, it was written in 1971 and Mailer was in one of many fights of his life with the feminist movement. And yes, some of the leaders of the movement in the 60's and early 70's were a bit humourless and strident but they had to be to shake things up. This book is Mailer's retort to feminists who called ...more
Riley
A lot of this book goes off into metaphysical inquiries that don't do all that much for me. At times, it also comes off as dated, since the feminist theorist Norman Mailer is most responding to (Kate Millett) is hardly a household name today. But I'd say that this and Armies of the Night are among Mailer's funniest works that I've read.

I liked this musing on journalism:

"How much easier, he could not help but think, to have gone forth, notebook in hand, to give a running account of further advent
Benjamin Kerstein
Contains a passage dealing with rape that is frankly embarrassing and morally indefensible. That being said, it also contains a substantial early critique of 1960s and '70s feminism and its tendency toward demonizing masculinity. Worth reading, but with a skeptical eye.
Chris
Superb! Even when he's wrong he's right.
Matt
Worth it for the Mailer Theory of Conception.
Eleanore
Too navel-gazey, even for him, to be terrific (let alone among Mailer's best), and I had to subtract a star for the absurd notions put forward in the final chapter in regard to conception, but overall, still an intriguing read. Also, possibly the most thorough, protracted literary slam I've read in years (in this case, against Kate Millett).
RK Byers
leave it to Mailer to prove the equality of the sexes by turning catty.
Michael
A vile little bit of vengeful geekery, basically Mailer's book-length rant name-calling at some of the easier targets in the women's movement. Utter crappe.
Patrick
This novel is not exactly what I thought it was going to be about. It is about Mr. Mailer coming to terms with the women's liberation movement.
Wporter
struggled through, possibly cause its dated, but it was on my shelf...
Raegan Butcher
Huh? What? How on earth did this guy makes MILLIONS writing crap like this?
Patrick Whitehurst
Vaginas have acid in them? And trees, I hear, have bark.
Dan
This could be the worst book I have ever read.
S.
S. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Mamoun Sinaceur
Mamoun Sinaceur marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
grunter
grunter marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Sam Gonzo
Sam Gonzo marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • The Complete Poems
  • Η μωβ ομπρέλα
  • Η ζωή εν τάφω
  • The Rock Garden
  • The Ecclesiazusae (or Women in Council)
  • Ερωτόκριτος
  • La Fanfarlo
Norman Kingsley Mailer was an American novelist, journalist, essayist, poet, playwright, screenwriter, and film director.

Along with Truman Capote, Joan Didion, and Tom Wolfe, Mailer is considered an innovator of creative nonfiction, a genre sometimes called New Journalism, but which covers the essay to the nonfiction novel. He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize twice and the National Book Award once.
More about Norman Mailer...
The Naked and the Dead The Executioner's Song An American Dream The Armies of the Night: History as a Novel, the Novel as History The Fight