Start by marking “A Much Married Man” as Want to Read:
A Much Married Man

A Much Married Man

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  70 reviews
From one of the sharpest observers of the modern scene, comes this witty, intelligent, and irresistible novel in the tradition of Gosford Park and Snobs.

A man of wealth and privilege, Anthony Anscombe has everything he could ever want: an exquisite family estate, enviable social standing, and a desirable inheritance. But with all of his money and privilege, Anthony still
Published June 12th 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Much Married Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Much Married Man

Amanda Gareis
Picked this up for free when I was desperate for a read. Just terrible. Thoroughly misogynist, casually racist, crudely cruel about physical appearance. The most disgusting thing about this pointless, offensive book (among many, I don't have time for a complete catalogue of its sins) is the casual way it treats sexual assault. There's a minor character, a stepson named Morad, who is a total psychopath. At 16 he strips a bathing suit off a 14 year old, violently. He drags her six feet under water ...more
Lisa Mettauer
There’s nothing like a good British soap opera/social comedy. Especially in the summer. Nicholas Coleridge’s A Much Married Man is just the thing for a summer vacation.

In this very long, but very enjoyable novel which begins inman.jpg 1965, Anthony Anscombe, a charming, if naive country gentleman, is from a wealthy Cotswold banking family that also owns most of the lovely village of Winchford, Oxfordshire. One night, at his parent’s annual ‘fork supper,’ he spies Amanda across the room and fall
Carol
It's a cliche that book reviewers have overused over decades.... "a rollicking romp." I never really knew exactly what was meant by a rollicking romp, but now that I've read this book, there is no other way to describe it. There is nothing taxing or cerebral about this book at all. You won't have any sudden insights into anything. Throughout, however, I was thoroughly entertained. It is often funny and always gossipy in tone, but it is gossip from a man's point of view and an Enlish man at that. ...more
Mary
this might sound weird, but one of the things I liked best about this book was that it was (relatively) long so there was more time to get to know the characters. honestly, some I didn't like too well, but the main character Anthony, he grew on me, and by the end, I was hoping he'd end up in a good place because I felt like he made decisions (most of which I disagreed with) for reasons which were true to him. I especially enjoyed the glimpse into english country life (of course I have no idea if ...more
Julie
Anthony Ancolme is wealthy English landowner who tries to do the right thing, and sometimes succeeds. The novel opens when he is nineteen, and falls madly in love with a beautiful, charasmatic but highly unstable girl. By the time Anthony is middle-aged, he has accumulated three wives, one mistress, and ten children and step-children, all who depend on him in one way or the other. This is a funny and entertaining book about the complications of modern life, and how we try to make sense of it all ...more
Joanna
Much more than the silly English-village-romance it sounds like. The characters are wholly-drawn, vibrant people; even though I've finished reading the book I feel like they're all still out there doing things and continuing on with their lives. Little details that seemed trivial when first mentioned ended up being important, but not in an obvious or contrived way, just enough to make it clear that the author really thought everything through. The book is fundamentally driven by character and re ...more
Peggy Garcia
A British satirical novel of manners. It is very light reading and to me many of the characters are unbelievable. Whether it is because the British Upper Class just have a very different perspective on life or I am just too traditional in my values, this book at times just didn't make sense to me. I stuck with it, however, and finished it. There are some very charming and witty moments throughout but unless you are sitting on a beach and just want to read a light and mindless novel, I'd skip th ...more
Melissa
I rather enjoyed this book even though at times I wanted to climb through the pages and smack the main character. I couldn't help but hear/see Hugh Grant as the main guy and as such, just wanted to give him hugs hugs hugs. It was sometimes text-y, but quite the descriptions helped me enjoy the book more. I'd recommend !! I think I can even see it as a movie...uh...let's see... starring...maybe _Hugh Grant_ as the lead??
Carol
Another book I found on my father-in-laws clubhouse book shelves in FL and read while we were there visiting. I had never heard of this author, but picked it up because I always like "English" novels.

This was quite a soap opera, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. A bit of English fluffery and I would read this author again when I just want to relax and read something light and fun.
Krysia
This book was a nice 'getaway' book....it didn't take a lot of concentration or translation of big words to enjoy this delicious novel. i read it in 2 days, actually. it's a very interesting trip into modern British society, with the narrator as a bumbling and sometimes dense - but successful - man, who gets sucked into marriage after marriage with hilarious results.
Lori Ann
I really enjoyed this one. Pretty interesting that I could feel sympathy for a man who bungled so many marriages, but I did. Also, really well-drawn charaters of all his wives and kids. This isn't a classic I'd turn to again, nor would I thrust it into my friends' hands, but it makes for a good pleasure book.
Ellen
I wish I could give 3.75 but feel guilty about a 4 star review. If you like Downton Abbey you'll enjoy this book. It's like a modern day postscript to all that English drama. My husband reminded me that I can go to the library, so I did, and it's a fantastic book to check out from your local branch.
Yetunde
i actually took this book when i started working and i must say it wasn't a fast page turner. the book is a really master piece though. the way the characters where develop and the authors use of time was really distinct. I really like the book, but like i said it took me a long time to finish it.
Terah
A Modern, British story of who's who and who isn't - this novel by Nicholas Coleridge is a revealing look at society, sarcasm and the silver spoon. His writing is lovely, funny and very grown-up. You'll want to read it at least once a year, preferably cozied up to the fire in the winter.
Jan
I found this satirical novel about British society to be somewhat superficial and contrived, without much depth to its characters, but it was still a witty and entertaining read. Just don't expect any profound insights about human nature and you won't be disappointed.
Marianne
This book was just too much fun! Several in my book group wondered what on earth there was to talk about, but we really enjoyed discussing the hero, why he chose each of his seemingly very different wives, and what they all actually had in common.
Jenny
I don't often read books written by men...but this one was great! It's nice and fat yet I still managed to read it in one weekend since I couldn't put it down. Almost like chick-lit with a male main character...an interesting twist!
Eva Mitnick
Charming English fluff about a very rich, very naive young man who has terrible judgment where women are concerned. Read this this if you love light tales about eccentric people, set in bucolic English villages and Very Old Manors.
Ellie Revert
A fun beach read, especially as we have spent much time in England. However, Anthony was infuriating to observe---I wanted to shake some sense into him regarding his thoughts about women. Always gallant, but more than a little foolish.
Barbara
Nov 30, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those looking for a summer read
Recommended to Barbara by: found it at Barnes and Noble
what a page turner! how one man manages to get involved with so many women- and how he learns that marriage is not what he thought it would be- after many wives and children. A terrific summer project!
Shane Quinn
150 pages too long; utterly predictable and far too self-satisfied with itself to be much of a read. Enjoyable at times and easy to read, but too much detail and too many attempts to resolve stories.
Britt Griffith
Dec 14, 2010 Britt Griffith added it
Shelves: fiction
Sorry but I got about half way through this and couldn't finish it. I didn't like any of the characters; they all seemed spoiled and annoying. Additionally, I found the plot to be slow moving and boring.
Erin
Lots of foreshadowing leaving few surprised. A little annoying how the author would make a major event suddenly seem minor by having it play a small role in the next chapter. Still not bad overall.
Valerie Li
like a modern day forsyte saga (and enjoyable for that in itself), but the "modern"-ity of it ruins the ending...everything wraps up too happily and neatly, the crisp wryness degenerates into sap.
Casey Rock
Definitely a fun and quick read. You'll covet pieces of each of the characters lives and then want to reach out to help them as things don't go their way.

Only regret: predictable at times.
Tamara
so far, so good. I am just finishing up with wife 1 (apparently there are 3 ex-wives/wives and a mistress all living in the same village in England). Interesting so far.
Dave
I think this satire would have been better had more of the characters demonstrated even some humanity. As I read further into the novel I found myself more annoyed than amused.
Sue Conroy Frith
V entertaining. Gives you an idea of how the British upper class lives now. All the relationships are believable and I liked getting the male point of view on them
I recommend!
Virginialawro
I really enjoyed this book; it was easy reading and clever; made me laugh and sort of had that 'Bridget Jones' Diary' humor. I'd say it's a perfect summer read!
Marlene
This was a nice read. It was a cute book. It's a bit frustrating at times and you want to kill the main character for making some dumb decisions but it was nice.
  • The People on Privilege Hill
  • Leaper: The Misadventures of a Not-Necessarily-Super Hero
  • Colors Insulting To Nature
  • Last Last Chance
  • The Season: A Summer Whirl Through the English Social Season
Nicholas David Coleridge CBE is the Managing Director of the magazine publishing house Condé Nast in Britain. He was awarded the 1982 prize for British Press Awards Young Journalist of the Year when he was a columnist at the Evening Standard, and the Mark Boxer Lifetime Achievement Award for magazine journalism by the British Society of Magazine Editors in 2001.

He has written twelve books, both f
More about Nicholas Coleridge...
Godchildren Pride and Avarice: A Novel Streetsmart With Friends Like These Deadly Sins