Start by marking “Levitation: Five Fictions” as Want to Read:
Levitation: Five Fictions

Levitation: Five Fictions

A collection of five stories which play upon the theme of deception and the inability to see.
Published August 1st 1995 by Syracuse University Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Levitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Levitation

Nicole
Jun 14, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
This is another book I wish I had read in college. Ozick is so dang smart, and packs so much into her stories, I feel like I'm missing a lot by not studying them with a professor or at least in a group. Except for Grace Paley, I've never read any consciously Jewish American fiction by a woman (Bellow, Malamud, sure...). It was refreshing. I'll definitely seek out more Ozick in the future.
Downward
Jul 30, 2013 Downward rated it liked it
cynthia ozick is straight up one of my fav writers; she captures the jewish american experience w/ depth and humor, never shying away or (alternately) being exploitative of the pathos of survivors and refugees. so take these three stars with a grain of salt, because of these 5 fictions; 3.5 are forgettable, mired in obscurity through overwritten academic language that lets you drift away from whatever core emotion ozick is trying to get across. but 1.5 are knock-you-on-your-ass brilliant.

the re
Spencer
May 16, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing
For my money, Cynthia Ozick is the greatest American writer of the last 50 years whose name isn't Toni Morrison, but somewhat frustratingly none of her story collections are perfect--they all contain an example or two of her awesome originality and brilliance, and then a few duds. Fortunately this is rendered more or less irrelevant by the fact that they are all individually out of print in the US, but I've seen the UK-published "The Collected Stories of Cynthia Ozick" at multiple half-priced ...more
Saxon
Aug 26, 2015 Saxon rated it really liked it
Ozick's stories all seem to start off on a relatively normal path before veering off into the absurd, surreal and very strange. It's hard to tell what the hell she is doing sometimes but its nevertheless entertaining and her stellar prose keeps you reading.
Subarashi
contains one of my favorite descriptions of heaven: a shady tree, bottomless box of fudge, all the books you could ever want to read, endless time
Caty
Oct 29, 2009 Caty rated it really liked it
I read this book so long ago it deserves a reread, but I remember even as a teenager being awed by how masterful the writing was.
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2008
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2008
Kevin Farrell
Kevin Farrell rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Comsenzce13
Comsenzce13 rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
JoAnn
JoAnn rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2008
Neusovita
Neusovita rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Andre Jones Jr
Andre Jones Jr rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Mazel
Mazel rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Matt Scott
Matt Scott rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Ms
Ms rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2015
Dan Edwards
Dan Edwards rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Scott Campbell
Scott Campbell rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2009
Flora
Flora rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2008
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Arthur Katz
Arthur Katz rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Pepilangstrump
Pepilangstrump rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Douglas Dalrymple
Douglas Dalrymple rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Nick
Jun 01, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, literature
The accent in these five stories is on fable, tradition and identity. Good, but not her best.
Stephen Vavul
Stephen Vavul rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Ariella
Ariella rated it really liked it
May 06, 2007
Rick Vetrone
Rick Vetrone rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...