Start by marking “Levitation: Five Fictions” as Want to Read:
Levitation: Five Fictions

Levitation: Five Fictions

A collection of five stories which play upon the theme of deception and the inability to see.
Published August 1st 1995 by Syracuse University Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Levitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Levitation

Nicole
Jun 14, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
This is another book I wish I had read in college. Ozick is so dang smart, and packs so much into her stories, I feel like I'm missing a lot by not studying them with a professor or at least in a group. Except for Grace Paley, I've never read any consciously Jewish American fiction by a woman (Bellow, Malamud, sure...). It was refreshing. I'll definitely seek out more Ozick in the future.
Spencer
May 16, 2014 Spencer rated it it was amazing
For my money, Cynthia Ozick is the greatest American writer of the last 50 years whose name isn't Toni Morrison, but somewhat frustratingly none of her story collections are perfect--they all contain an example or two of her awesome originality and brilliance, and then a few duds. Fortunately this is rendered more or less irrelevant by the fact that they are all individually out of print in the US, but I've seen the UK-published "The Collected Stories of Cynthia Ozick" at multiple half-priced bo ...more
Downward
Jul 30, 2013 Downward rated it liked it
cynthia ozick is straight up one of my fav writers; she captures the jewish american experience w/ depth and humor, never shying away or (alternately) being exploitative of the pathos of survivors and refugees. so take these three stars with a grain of salt, because of these 5 fictions; 3.5 are forgettable, mired in obscurity through overwritten academic language that lets you drift away from whatever core emotion ozick is trying to get across. but 1.5 are knock-you-on-your-ass brilliant.

the re
Saxon
Aug 26, 2015 Saxon rated it really liked it
Ozick's stories all seem to start off on a relatively normal path before veering off into the absurd, surreal and very strange. It's hard to tell what the hell she is doing sometimes but its nevertheless entertaining and her stellar prose keeps you reading.
Anna
Aug 04, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Just phenomenal.
Subarashi
contains one of my favorite descriptions of heaven: a shady tree, bottomless box of fudge, all the books you could ever want to read, endless time
Caty
Oct 29, 2009 Caty rated it really liked it
I read this book so long ago it deserves a reread, but I remember even as a teenager being awed by how masterful the writing was.
Nick
Jun 01, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, literature
The accent in these five stories is on fable, tradition and identity. Good, but not her best.
Maytal Mark
Maytal Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Raquel Munoz
Raquel Munoz marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Jeff Melman
Jeff Melman rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Ruben Dario
Ruben Dario rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Jane Robinson
Jane Robinson marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Zach Zane
Zach Zane marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Karalee Wolfe
Karalee Wolfe marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Glenda
Glenda marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...