Start by marking “True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess” as Want to Read:
True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess

True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess

LARGE PRINT EDITION. "True Grace: The Life and Times of an American Princess" by Wendy Leigh. St. Martin's Press/Thomas Dunne Books, 650 pages.
Published March 20th 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about True Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Grace

Patricia Fawcett
Feb 01, 2014 Patricia Fawcett rated it really liked it
Having read previous biographies of a true, twentieth-century icon, I approached this one with caution. Over 31 years since her tragic death, the saccharin-coated eulogies of someone who was termed a fairy-tale princess have evaporated. The gloves are off, yet Wendy Leigh, in giving us a well-researched, warts-and-all account of the life of Grace Kelly, aka Her Serene Highness Princess Grace of Monaco, paints a touching picture of her subject. From being the all-American girl who found her way i ...more
Heather
Feb 11, 2010 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is the worst biography I have ever read and the most disappointing book I've read in a long time. Leigh seems obsessed with Grace's romantic life and spends more time trying to root out scandal than conveying meaningful information about Grace Kelly's personality and character. The writing was poor (e.g., "On the penultimate night of the voyage, less than two days before the boat was due to dock," and "a newsletter that listed the names of visiting celebrities visiting Paris"--where was her ...more
Christina
May 02, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Out of all the princesses I have always been most interested in the life of Princess Grace. I don't know if it is my love of old movies or the fact that I have been told many times by a friend of the families that i am an old soul but in reading this book I learned so much about her and am even more fascinated with her and her life. She was not only beautiful but talented, caring and strong through her life struggles . This book gave me insight into her life and learned things about her that I w ...more
Maria
May 22, 2012 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the quality of the writing, I enjoyed reading this biography because I have always admired Princess Grace. However, I have read other Grace Kelly biographies and this one did not provide a thorough description of her life, but was instead more of an overview. What I appreciated about this biography was the author's approach of depicting Grace as who she truly was: an inspiring woman who fearlessly confronted adversity and always held family as a priority.
Michelle
Jan 31, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Amazing story yet heartbreaking...I have always admired Grace because I thought of her as this graceful, sophisticated, honest woman..plus every girl dreams of the fairy tale that she seemed to live..after reading this book, you look at Grace Kelly in a different way and you realize the fairy tale is not always as glamorous as the Disney movies portray.
Jeanna Suckling
Jul 14, 2014 Jeanna Suckling rated it liked it
Knowing the film was due for release I wanted to understand the story of Grace Kelly better. This book delivered everything I wanted from it, not overly long but provided all the information to get a picture of her life (& many loves!)
Jenny
Mar 23, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
The most recent biography about Grace Kelly (published in 2007) has several new interviews and anecdotes, and shows the dark side of the "fairy tale."
Lynsey
Jan 03, 2017 Lynsey rated it it was ok
this was not well written in my opinion. didn't have a good flow, and pretty superficial.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Apr 04, 2015 Jacki (Julia Flyte) rated it it was ok
This is probably the 6th biography of Grace Kelly that I have read and I felt that it was easily the weakest. In fairness to Wendy Leigh, she had clearly conducted her own research and she did present some new stories and anecdotes. However it felt like she was more pre-occupied with digging up new scandals than with presenting a cohesive picture of who Grace was. She glosses over significant events such as Grace meeting Rainier, why she decided to marry him and barely mentions Grace's death. In ...more
Lori
Jun 18, 2009 Lori rated it it was ok
I picked up this book with very high hopes, but Ms. Leigh left me utterly disappointed. No new facts were revealed and the book seemed to focus mainly on Grace's romantic relationships, with the surprising exception of her marriage with Prince Ranier, which was quickly reviewed. More insight, perhaps, was given to Grace's troubling relationship with her father but, again, her marriage to the Prince and residence in Monaco over the course of 25 years was covered in a minimum number of pages. The ...more
Emily
Jan 31, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies, reviewed
This was more interesting and more in-depth than the ones I have read on Grace in the past. This book concentrated on the all parts of the Princess's life. It talked about her different romances with men in hollywood. Let me just say she slept around a bit. It was very nice with that after her marriage they talked about possible romances she might have had and that her husband did keep mistresses, but it didn't explicitly say this is who she defiantly did do something with after her marriage. I ...more
Roxanne
Aug 26, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Princess Grace dies too soon. The book talks about all aspects of her life. She slept with a lot of men but in that age of Hollywood all the movies stars dis that. i think her marriage was privately arranged by her father so that he and Grace could have more social status. The Prince of Monaco was about to lose his tiny kingdom unless he turned things around. What better than to marry a high profile movie star. It worked too. But her married life was not perfect, he had mistresses and she devote ...more
Zoe
Aug 21, 2007 Zoe rated it it was ok
I read this book in a moment of weakness. I've always thought Grace Kelly was absolutely gorgeous, and she is. However, I think I was better off not knowing about her daddy complex and all the various men she slept with and what an asshole Prince Rainier was. The book is also very badly written and clearly only got a very cursory copyedit, at best. Glad I got it from the library and didn't actually pay money for it.
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was ok
I've been reading this book since September, and have read at least 4 other books since starting this book. It was the first biography I've really ever read, and I really can't say that I enjoyed it. I know SO much about Grace Kelly now! This book told me everything about her. She grew up in Philadelphia, and she had so many juicy affairs with movie starts, etc. I'm glad I have the knowledge about her, but this book was a little bit of a drag.
Bea Griffin
Mar 12, 2015 Bea Griffin rated it liked it
Grace Kelly did not have the perfect princess fairytale life that was assumed by many. This story tells of the life of Grace filled with want of acceptance from her father, failed loves, and lack of true happiness. Not a happy life, with a tragic ending. The book was interesting, but not the happiest story in the world.
Joshua Wilson
Sep 27, 2010 Joshua Wilson rated it liked it
I enjoyed this bio but I felt it lacked real depth. It focused more on the paparazzi- kitty Kelly sort of bio. I much preferred Ever After... It had a much more humanist perspective on Princess Grace.
Julie
Jun 18, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
Trivial, tawdry, lightweight... This biography is lacking in depth and is worse than the Kitty Kelley bios because it focuses on the superficial, esp. the affairs. I found some of the tales of relationships to be questionable if not provably false.
Sep 13, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book was so engrossing that I began reading it at Barnes and Noble and had to buy it because a few hours and 150 pages later I was hooked. Very interesting look into one of America's film legends.
Sharman Bonus
Dec 23, 2014 Sharman Bonus rated it it was ok
This book was so terribly written. It was nothing more than a series of gossipy quotes strung together in random fashion. There was nothing interpretive or insightful about it. It was a cardboard portrait of a woman whose life was certainly more interesting than presented here.
Linda Riha
Feb 02, 2015 Linda Riha rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. I found the book to be more scandalous and gossipy rather than informative! Extremely redundant!
Melissa
Jul 24, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Only reason why I gave this 5 stars is the fact that my fiance's aunt was the bridesmaid who's husband had an affair with Grace Kelly!!
Amanda
Jan 23, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok
What I have learned from this book: biographies aren't my bag.
Alice
3.5 stars, to be exact. Considering to review this at a later time.
Emma
Apr 12, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
This lady liked to get about. I say no more.
Amanda Lei
Wow, sort of racy, but quite informative.
Nicollette Brewster
Mar 09, 2010 Nicollette Brewster rated it did not like it
Awful. Sensationalist garbage.
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Kinda feel its sad that back in the day, your private life,was private!I enjoyed this book, but it hard to read about the people in history, and see some had just as few morals as people do today.
Sep 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
The book was an ok read, but poorly written I thought. There wasn't anything new in this book that I hadn't already read in other Grace Kelly biographies.
Tracie
Tracie rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
  • Timebends : A Life
  • Lana: the Lady, the Legend, the Truth
  • Smart Blonde: Dolly Parton
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • Spencer Tracy
  • Laughs, Luck...and Lucy: How I Came to Create the Most Popular Sitcom of All Time (with "I LOVE LUCY's Lost Scenes" and rare Lucille Ball audio)
  • It's Only a Movie: A Personal Biography of Alfred Hitchcock
  • One from the Hart
  • Why? Because We Still Like You: An Oral History of the Mickey Mouse Club
  • Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography
  • No Bed Of Roses
Ghostwriter & celebrity biographer. She has also written books on love, sex & relationships

More about Wendy Leigh...