Start by marking “The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: Activity Book 1: Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor” as Want to Read:

The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: Activity Book 1: Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  281 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This comprehensive, 8.5" x 11" curriculum guide and activity book contains map activities, coloring pages, games, projects, review questions, cross-references to illustrated encyclopedias, and extensive book lists. Children and parents love the activities, ranging from cooking projects to crafts, board games to science experiments, and puzzles to projects.

Each Story of the
Published November 17th 2006 by The Well-Trained Mind Press (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the World

Justin S.
Dec 19, 2015 Justin S. rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book so much. It's written towards children. I listened to it on audio. A few times in the car my kids listened with me and really liked it. It's gives an account of human history, not only with facts but story. I learned things. I especially liked how the Bible was treated, as a historical narrative for the Jewish people through Abraham, and later on Jesus Christ. I loved the narrative of Roman history the most.

The only thing I did to like is the use of the term BCE/CE over the
Sagan
Jul 13, 2015 Sagan rated it liked it
(Review from Mom): My son is a 4YO who is interested in ancient history (and currently addicted to Percy Jackson books), so this review may not apply to you. He comes from a family of educators so his favorite game is "school", and older children might enjoy directed hands-on projects more.

He LOVES the main SOTW book! He loves taking the tests from the test book. This rating for the activity book is his choice and I agree with it. For his personality.

If your child is a hands-on learner who is in
Orcun Ayata
Aug 16, 2016 Orcun Ayata rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
öncelikli olarak kitabın sunuluş şekli "herkes için tarih" olmakla birlikte, amacına fazlasıyla hizmet ediyor. daha öncesinde aynı yazarın antik dünya tarihi hakkında kitabına başlamıştım ancak ağır geldiğinden, sıkıldığımdan dolayı yarıda bırakmıştım. daha sonrasında bu seriyi almadan önce çok düşündüm, yine aynı şekilde mi yazılmıştır acaba diye ancak yapılan yorumları görünce bir şans vermek istedim. iyi ki de vermişim o şansı..

bol bol boş zamanınız varsa 1 günde bile bitirilebilecek bir kit
Shannon
Mar 23, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
11/09/09: Note to my Catholic buddies. The author is Protestant. In my opinion, she does an excellent job presenting a balanced, respectful look at history. I do not think she purposefully ignores or slants Catholic contributions to history, but we are not exactly on her radar either. For example, you'll learn about Attila attacking the Romans and the emperor's goofy sister, Honoria's "proposal" to Attila. You'll learn about Attila's providential, fatal nosebleed. You will NOT see mention of Pop ...more
LeeAnn
Mar 12, 2009 LeeAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This activity guide goes with the textbook that accompanies it. It is tops for the activities and supplemental literature suggestions. The textbook is a valuable accompaniment for this activity guide because it is difficult to find literature for many of the ancient civilizations, let alone for children!

If your children enjoy hands-on activities, this guide is a must! It is designed as a year-long curriculum although it took us longer because we inserted some other works into the middle of it.
Aja
Apr 23, 2009 Aja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource complete with book lists, narration helps, crafts, projects and maps, and many, many more supplements. This book is used with the Story of the World Volume 1 book which contains stories and histories of ancient civilizations.
Rochelle
Aug 01, 2008 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
probably more valuable than the text. It really does have great activity ideas, along with questions and coloring pages, etc.
Julianne
Jan 26, 2008 Julianne rated it really liked it
Great activities to make history come alive for children.
MOMama8
MOMama8 rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Enrique Suarez-Ojedis
Enrique Suarez-Ojedis rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Golyatkin
Golyatkin marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Dave Lotz
Dave Lotz marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Lj
Lj rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Eno
Eno added it
Aug 02, 2016
Rowan Stanley
Rowan Stanley rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Muhammad Nouman
Muhammad Nouman marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
rebeccah Stratton
rebeccah Stratton marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Misti
Misti added it
Jul 02, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
  • Temple Cat
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • A Child's History of the World
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Maps and Globes
  • Usborne Time Traveler

From the author's website:

Publications
Susan’s newest book for Norton, The Story of Western Science: From the Writings of Aristotle to the Big Bang Theory, was published in May 2015. The History of the Renaissance World: From the Rediscovery of Aristotle to the Conquest of Constantinople (2013), is the third in a multi-volume series providing a narrative world history; the first volume, The History
More about Susan Wise Bauer...

The Story of the World (4 books)
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World #1)
  • The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance (The Story of the World #2)
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World #3)
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)