No Matter What

No Matter What

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A mama elephant knows her baby and all of his moods. ?Sometimes you?re happy. Sometimes you?re sad. Sometimes you?re good. Sometimes you?re bad.? But no matter what, one special little elephant will always know his mother?s love. The love shines on the foil-splashed, padded cover and all the way through this color-saturated book.

Published March 27th 2008 by Dutton Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

Vivian
We simply had to use this simple book about opposites told from baby elephant's point of view because a) it works very well as a read-aloud to young children, b) the last page is a double-page spread of a star filled night sky and c) is gently reassuring that "no matter WHAT you say or do, it makes no difference... I love you!"

The starry night tied into our "Arabian Nights" Middle Eastern theme and served to introduce one of our craft activities. We found a simple idea that uses black or dark bl...more
Christine
I loved this book! It shows opposites as told by a mother elephant to her baby, and it really emphasizes that there's nothing a child can do to make their parent stop loving them. I think the moms at storytime enjoyed this more than their toddlers, but I think toddlers would really like it one on one.
Ariel Cummins
Cute little lesson about opposites and feelings.

Bold lines and bright colors show the sweet scenes of a baby elephant practicing all his moods.

Excellent for a baby story time, because it's got only a sentence of text on each page, and it's full of great words to know for tiny folks!
Gail
There are a bunch of books that follow this rather boring formula; my baby does this and that but no matter what i will love her. This one explores opposites. The pictures aren't great and my two year old was not interested. Maybe for a younger child.
Carol
A simple, short book about a parent's unconditional love for their child - whether they are kind or mean, dirty or clean. I've been asked to reread it several times so I know it's a winner with our 24 month old.
Modboy
Jun 24, 2013 Modboy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Modboy by: Grandma Carol for Eliza Xmas 2012
It's a beautifully illustrated book -- with silver foil that accents each picture in an unobtrusive way. Really, just opposites though, done well but I feel like I've read this "story" before.
Melissa
Seriously cute. Simple rhymes and classic Dodd illustrations. Would work well for the following themes: behavior/manners, feelings/moods, love/family
Kelli
This simple book is a good one to read with toddlers, acting out the emotions as you read. Very straigtforward and simple, with an affirming ending.
Suzy Platt
A very simple story, but very sweet and relatable, enjoyed reading this to my 2 year old daughter whilst cuddled up on the sofa together.
Kate Hastings
Jun 13, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: babies toddlers behavior opposites
Shelves: babies
A baby elephant can be dirty and clean, nice and mean-- but no matter what, Mama elephant loves the baby. Good for opposites and behavior.
Polly
Very sweet, if more of an "awww" book for the adults who are reading it to the child(ren) than actually for the kids.
Janet
Very cute. Short. Nice because a child can predict the rhyme. Cute pics.
HD
Oct 17, 2009 HD rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
A great book about feelings that little kids can understand.
Denise
Another one I can't wait to use with toddlers!
Susan Jones
Susan Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Cate
Cate added it
Jun 05, 2014
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her...more
More about Emma Dodd...
Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting I Don't Want a Cool Cat! I Am Small What Pet To Get? I Love Bugs!