Start by marking “Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman” as Want to Read:
Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman

Disaster and Resistance: Political Comics by Seth Tobocman

“A graphic revelation, an artistic and political document of enormous value in our troubled world.”—Paul Buhle

Disaster and Resistance outlines pressing social and political struggles at the dawn of the twenty-first century. In his bold comic style, Seth Tobocman chronicles events as they happen, musing not on the chaos of instability and fear, but on the struggle against i
Published June 1st 2008 by AK Press

To ask other readers questions about Disaster and Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disaster and Resistance

Kristen
Dec 14, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok
On the surface this is my kind of graphic novel: Hurricane Katrina, Israel, oil company abuses in Nigeria, The Carlyle Group directly responsible for 9/11? Yet I'm left feeling that either I am just a cynical shell of a human being or the author is completely and utterly naive. Or both. I appreciate the author's GR profile describes him as a propagandist and these were mainly pamphlets and so I can overlook the over the top hyperbole. And I'm glad there are people who have yet to give up hope th ...more
MRM
Aug 25, 2008 MRM rated it liked it
Seth Tobocman is a venerated activist and artist, but I get the most out of informative comics, rather than reprints of handbills and posters (no matter how striking they might be, as the full-color ones here are). Disaster & Resistance has a good chunk of the former but also a lot of the latter, so, unless you're going to rip pages out of your copy, you might not want to spend the money on this book. (You can perhaps read your friend's copy, as I did.)

"A policy of disaster. A strategy of ca
Edwin Vazquez
Nov 02, 2008 Edwin Vazquez rated it really liked it
A concerned look into the world of today. Seth Tobocman's political strips voice subjects that many other artists shy away from or do not truly understand. An authentic visual journalist, Seth delivers memorable art which will surely be markers for our current state of woe.
Alan
Aug 26, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Alan by: My Librarian
One of the best examples of political cartooning...graphic novel...sequential art...an amazing synthesis of activism and and art, whatever you call it. Just absolutely brilliant. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
justin stepney
Feb 18, 2009 justin stepney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
can hardly put this thing down!
specially since it's not real thick, makes me wanna jus sit and read til it's done..

UGH!
DJ
Oct 23, 2013 DJ rated it it was amazing
highly highly recommend
Amanda
Oct 20, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Intro by Mumia. Clarification on the world bank. Traveling comic er.
Jose Palafox
Aug 17, 2008 Jose Palafox rated it liked it
Another great AK title, ha!
Francisco Javier
Francisco Javier rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Daniel Burton-Rose
Daniel Burton-Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Garrettgraham
Garrettgraham rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2010
Meagan
Meagan rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2008
Lorena
Lorena rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Kyrah
Kyrah rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Lance Eaton
Lance Eaton rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Sarah Goebel
Sarah Goebel rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2008
Momoxshi
Momoxshi rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2011
Jack
Mar 05, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing
"We, the people, must help each other."
Emily Young
Emily Young rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2017
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2011
no (on)
no (on) rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Zipper
Zipper rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Sheena
Jul 25, 2008 Sheena rated it it was ok
Any redeeming qualities were trumped by the self-righteous pacifism of the author.
chris
chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2010
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Viola
Viola rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Radical comic book artist who has been living in Manhattan's Lower East Side since 1978. Tobocman is best known for his creation of the political comic book World War 3 Illustrated, which he started in 1979 with fellow artist Peter Kuper. He has also been an influential propagandist for the squatting, anti-globalist, and anti-war movements in the United States.
More about Seth Tobocman...