Start by marking “X-23: Target X” as Want to Read:
X-23: Target X

X-23: Target X (X-23)

Having escaped the Facility that created her, X-23 struggles to create a real life for herself. But when your entire life has been about death and destruction, can you ever really escape the darkness? The rest of the story begins here, and won't end until X-23 faces off with the one man most responsible for her life: Wolverine.
Paperback, Recopilatory, 160 pages
Published August 22nd 2007 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about X-23, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23

Feb 16, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
I really like X-23's storyline and this cover totally rocks.
Feather Mista
Aug 26, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A la hora de votar comics, suelo darle mucho más peso al guión que al dibujo. No es el caso esta vez. La historia no está mal y -siempre y cuando uno haya leído la miniserie anterior para guiarse- resulta entretenida y bien llevada. Pero es en el impresionante dibujo de Choi y su fluidísima narrativa. No recuerdo haber visto en otro comic occidental un tratamiento tan bello y potente de la violencia, los asesinatos y la ira. Las expresiones faciales no hacen más que reforzar esa sensación y la c ...more
Oct 26, 2011 Flossie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was really skeptical about Captain America's role in this comic, but the ending made it all worth while. And thank god they finally brought in Wolverine, because the reader is constantly wondering about him...
May 18, 2012 Felipe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
X-23's saga - Part 2.
This comic deals with the events following her escape from the facility in the previous book, Innocence Lost.

Laura re-unites with Megan and Debbie, but soon after the trouble starts.
We get cameos from 2 big names from the Marvel U, and also a confrontation with her father.

While the book has a great story, the real star here is the art. No offense to Billy Tan and Brian Haberlin, but the team of Mike Choi and Sonia Oback completely blows them out of the water. Choi is espec
Gianfranco Mancini
4 stars if you read this as a stand alone volume as I did years ago, but if you read it just after "Innocence lost" this is another 5 stars read. More a second half than a sequel of the previous story. And the art is just awesome.
Sep 04, 2012 Ari rated it really liked it
LAURA KINNEY, PRECIOUS CHILD. I loved her so much here. She never excused her actions because she sees herself as the weapon too and wants to understand to be the girl but she's done so much at the hands of others and those actions still count. BUT SHE WANTS TO BE BETTER. BB.
Oct 17, 2012 SEZIR rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I bought this to read for a trip out of town. I got so sucked into that when my dad talked to me he scared me!
Must check out! :)
Dec 04, 2012 J. rated it really liked it
This is an instance where something that should be terrible is good. Does the Marvel universe need a young Wolverine clone? It certainly doesn't, but this series is good nonetheless. The writers do a fantastic job of humanizing X-23, and of making the reader commiserate despite her obvious social craziness. The story is a perfect length, paced excellently, and has some nice surprises. The artist(s) are amazing, even though the pages get a little busy at times; they always goes for the interestin ...more
Adam Bogert
Jan 11, 2013 Adam Bogert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Coupled with Choi & Oback's gorgeous artwork, this continuation of Laura Kinney's backstory extends the tragedy of Innocence Lost while helping to explain how she ended up in Westchester.

If you're of the baffling camp that dismisses X-23 as Logan with boobs, read this book and give her a second chance (or read Innocence Lost, which is more emotion-driven than action-driven and is probably the best excuse for liking X-23). I promise there's more than meets the eye.
Jan 30, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
After the first volume, Innocence Lost, I expected a dramatic drop off in story & quality, figuring that the tragic and compelling origin story was over and X-23 would be doomed to the same open-ended fate as most superheroes. I was happy to be surprised. Target X relies heavily on the previous volume, even adding some elements (a villain--a great villain) while creating exactly zero continuity errors, as well as bringing in the consequences of the of the missions and events of her life as a ...more
Nancy O'Toole
Target X continues x-23's origin story after the events in Innocence Lost. After being forced to kill her own mother with the trigger scent, Laura runs away to the only people who might accept her as family. Unfortunately, her handler, Kimura, is not far behind.

Honestly, I have no idea why more people haven't read these two graphic novels, as both of them are really strong. Target X does a fantastic job of picking things up right after the dramatic conclusion of Innocence Lost. The six issue ser
Neil McCrea
May 08, 2014 Neil McCrea rated it liked it
Innocence Lost told X-23's origin story. Target X establishes X-23's place in the wider Marvel Universe. The required tropes fall down like ducks in a shooting gallery, but the story is far better than a story about a Wolverine clone has any right to be.
Travis Duke
Jan 28, 2015 Travis Duke rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting such a powerful book but it delivered on numerous fronts. x-23 is a weapon x project with a dark past, Craig Kyle does an excellent job writing a tragic childhood story. The interview approach with Cap and Daredevil is nice touch and adds some good depth into this flashback story. Like I said, I was not expecting such a dark, violent, sad story but it was really well done. The imagery is very powerful and used very well through out the book, the art is crisp and clear and com ...more
10 stars!
Read this! this!

This is a continuation of Kyle's X-23:Innocence Lost, and it does not disappoint. If anything, it's even better than the first one.

Everything is being told in flashbacks from Luara/X-23's point of view, while she is being detained by Captain America...and represented by Daredevil.

X-23 goes looking for her mother's family. In the last volume she and her cousin were both much younger, and her mother sent Laura in to save her niece from a serial killer.
Her cou
May 20, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Laura is presented as a lot older than she is, which I don't love. They definitely do teenage superheroes better now, even though this was only 8 years ago. I'm glad I read the 12 issues of Laura's origin story because I think she's a really interesting character, but I much prefer reading about her adult life as she is able to take control of her own destiny more and more. There was some of that in these issues though, which was a nice change of pace from all of the tragedy.
Apr 23, 2015 Silas rated it liked it
This was a fairly good extension from X-23's origin story. It brings her into the rest of the world, while remaining as dark and disturbing as it was to start with. Some of the art seemed a little off (like depicting 9 and 11 year old Laura as a tiny adult), but overall it was a decent bridge between her origin story and the Marvel universe at large.
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
It would be five stars, just for pure enjoyment, but I felt like that ending was slightly anti-climactic after the build-up of the flashback/interrogation style plot. But I really liked Laura and her little odyssey with her "cousin" Megan. Can't wait to read more about Weapon X! :D
Jun 06, 2015 Skip rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Thanks to Anne for recommending. Despite a recap of the first book in this series, I felt adrift without a good feel for the characters. The central character is a female (hot) version of X-Men's Wolverine. Excellent artwork.
Aug 26, 2015 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
When I first heard about X-23, I'd assumed she was a stunt character. She's just like Wolverine except she's a hot teenage girl and she also has claws in her feet! Maybe that was the original intention for her, but Kyle has put some serious work into making her far more than just a stunt character. In fact, he's made her one of my favorites.

Picking up where X-23: Innocence Lost left off, Target X gives even more of Laura's backstory. Laura has found her mother's sister, and tries to have a norm
Sidsel Pedersen
The art in X-23: Target X by Mike Choi I find disturbing. X-23 is around 14/15 in this part of the story, but Choi draws her as if she was 30 with big breast, very revealing clothing, up skirt shots. Even in the flashbacks where she is much younger, she is still drawn this way, just with slightly smaller breasts. It is such a contrast to be beautiful art of Billy Tan that I was quite disturbed and annoyed. But the story is still really good and I keep wanting more of it. So I can definitely reco ...more
Jan 13, 2016 Terence rated it really liked it
Laura's story continues. Things pick up from right before she escaped the facility that cloned her. Laura is recounting these events to Captain America and Matt Murdock.
Laura went to her Aunt and cousin's home to have a normal life, but her creators aren't done with her yet...her handler has survived and she intends on bringing her back.

Target X is interesting because it focuses on Laura attempting to live a normal life. Seeing an assassin try to be a real girl is pretty funny.
She tells Megan t
Jan 14, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
It isn't many characters who can successfully transfer from cartoon to comic but X23 managed it. The comic format has allowed her to develop and grow and that is vividly depicted here. They've given her a chance to earn her place in the Marvel Universe and I'm looking forward to seeing where she goes from here.
Wing Kee
Apr 26, 2016 Wing Kee rated it really liked it
More drama, more character building more awesomeness.

I like this character, she's complex and there is so much meat for her in terms of development, this second 6 issue series is absolutely wonderful.

World: The art is good, it has a strong sense of motion and the character models are wonderful, but I found the color scheme to be a bit bland and overly warm, but hey maybe it's the intention of the series but I did not care for it. The world building what absolutely fantastic, it weaved into the l
K.T. Katzmann
May 15, 2016 K.T. Katzmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A Bourne-style (or is that Hannah?) action thriller with great art and a neat main character. I like how the whole story is a flashback told to twin "acting judges" of Cap and Daredevil. There's a few other famous Marvel characters, a good arc, and violent fight scenes. Not a bad place to start with the character.

I would totally read a six issue series with the feel of the five pages she spends in high school, though. Hell, it'd make a great TV series.
Reign Lauren
Jun 01, 2016 Reign Lauren rated it it was amazing
this is not news but steve rogers is a piece of shit
Jul 25, 2016 Twinkle rated it it was amazing
I don't understand the hate cap gets for this??? like he let her go!! and we understand laura so we can accept what she was made into. but cap didn't see all that right away as a normal human! He did what was normal which is suspect a killer.

PS I loved this.
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 10, 2016 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
X-23: Target X. Kyle & Yost's follow-up nicely dovetails with the "Innocence Lost" series, picking up both the chronology and the characters. It's terrific seeing Laura interact with the real-est family that she has, while the battle against arch-nemesis Kimora is wonderful too. With all that said, there are some structural flaws in this volume: the scattered timeline of the first issue is very hard to follow and the frame sequence between Steve and Matt is mostly annoying. [7/10].
Sep 10, 2016 Ethan rated it liked it
the structure of this series is great. By telling story in flashbacks as part of Cap and Murdock's interrogation, the reader is left with some mystery. This propels the reading along.
however, many of the story beats feel forced or unmotivated. One character has a sudden change of heart and I actually thought a page was missing. There was no reason given.

The main aspect of the book I enjoyed was the character. Laura is a great concept and fun to read. Particularly while adapting to life as a no
Oct 22, 2016 Liana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
just another reason to love laura and matt, two of the best marvel characters to ever exist
  • X-23, Vol. 1: The Killing Dream
  • Nyx: Wannabe
  • Rogue, Volume 1: Going Rogue
  • Psylocke
  • New X-Men: Academy X, Vol. 3: X-Posed
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • Avengers Academy, Vol 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Generation Hope: Schism