The Ballad of Sir Dinadan (The Squire's Tales, #5)

The Ballad of Sir Dinadan (The Squire's Tales #5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,481 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Published May 30th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ballad of Sir Dinadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ballad of Sir Dinadan

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleBeauty by Robin McKinleyThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanFairest by Gail Carson Levine
The Best Fairytales and Retellings
357th out of 1,482 books — 6,486 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
The Arthurian Legend Retold
56th out of 356 books — 594 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
I want to say I really liked this, because it was really fun -- light-hearted, not too concerned about the 'spirit' of the old stories, ready enough to laugh and actually, in one respect at least, unpredictable. (view spoiler) And Kay really was himself, his Celtic self --

Except that Gerald Morris didn't have the sweetest fucking clue what he was talking about. "The oldest of the Arthurian stories were...more
A brilliant retelling of Arthurian legend through the character of Sir Dinadan. Intelligent, creative, and honorable, Dinadan is the least capable knight of the Round Table (at least in terms of fighting prowess), but also one of the most popular among his peers.

Much of the book's humor comes from Dinadan's relentless mockery of knightly conventions (Fighting a stranger who says his lady is fairer than yours? Absurd!). For the rare readers who have also read Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur...more
Christina
A funny take on the stories of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Part of a series, this particular book is the story of Dinadan, knighted in a drunken fit by his father and sent out to earn his knighthood. But Dinadan is inept with the sword or fighting, and would much rather compose and sing songs as a minstrel. He has comical encounters with other knights of varying degrees of competency, from one who swears a lovesick vow of silence (to everyone and anyone within earshot, all da...more
Carrie Slager
The first four books in The Squire’s Tales have had humour in them, but they never reached into the realm of laugh-out-loud humour. The Ballad of Sir Dinadan does because of Sir Dinadan’s attitude toward love and knights and because of the sheer craziness of some situations he gets into. This is the most cynical, irreverent take on the Arthurian legends and I absolutely love it. In some ways, it makes the first four books seem pale in comparison.

This is the first time we’re actually in the point...more
Olivia
I love this series, It's so funny and so exciting and so adventurous. It makes me so happy.
Debrarian
Good again. This time a young noble who is fairly lousy at the fighting part of knighthood, but great at storytelling and playing the rebec. In spite of himself he develops the courage and nobility of knighthood.
Karie
That's it--I want to own the series. Gentle humor, instruction in common sense through entertaining narrative, and a good introduction to Arthurian legends--Morris has done very well.
Robin
The fifth book of the "Squire's Tales" series continues this Wisconsin-based author's retelling of Arthurian legends for younger readers with a combination of two knightly love stories with the point of view of a minstrel knight who has fallen out of love with romantic love. Forced into knighthood, though he would rather be a rebec-playing troubadour, Sir Dinadan rides out into the English countryside in search of inspiration for heroic ballads. Instead, he finds disillusionment. First it comes...more
Me
There are so many ways that the legends of Arthur can be told.

Dinadan's is quite interesting. He's a minstrel, no matter how much he given the title of Sir.

So everyone knows that it's suspected that the legends have been exaggerated. However it's really interesting to see the legends from the POV of the exaggerator, and why they did it. It's an interesting way of putting things, and quite funny.

Morris actually did a quite un-imaginable feat. One character was Welsh, and they spent a bit of t...more
Rachel
Summary:

Young Dinadan has no wish to joust or quest or save damsels in distress or do any of the knightly things ex-pected of him. But he was born to be a knight, and knights, of course, have adventures. So after his father forces his knighthood upon him, he wanders toward King Arthur’s court in the company of a misguided young Welsh lad named Culloch. There Dinadan meets Sir Kai and Sir Bedivere, and the three find themselves accompanying Culloch on the worst sort of quest.

Along the way, Dinada...more
Nina Gayle
I like the humor in this book best. I also enjoyed the unconventional romance between Sir Dinadan and Brangienne and the friendship between Dianadan and the Moor, Palomides. The intelligence and nobility of these characters contrast sharply with the unbelievable stupidity of other characters, such as Tristram and Colluch. Tristram's love Iseult, while outwardly beautiful, was unfaithful and manipulative. In one part of the book, she faked a lisp because she believed it made her more attractive....more
Brandon
What more could a knight want than great foes to defeat, honor to defend, and damsels in distress to save? Sir Dinadan could do with much less. He wants no enemies or honor or damsels. He simply wants to be free to play his rebec and retell tales of heroes past and present. However, since he was forced to become a knight, he is whisked away on knightly endeavors much to his dismay. These adventures give him the inspiration for many songs and the opportunity to help those who would otherwise be h...more
Abigail
Jul 07, 2014 Abigail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Gerald Morris books are like Lays chips. You can never eat just one.
His stories are full of wit,adventures,and spunky love stories that leave you smiling like a madman that has just escaped an Insane Asylum.

His books can all be read as novels, but if you read all his books, which you SHOULD, then you will soon meet the characters from your last book as side characters in the next. It's great fun seeing all these stories interlacing with each other. Each thread in itself is a lovely story, but yo...more
John
Story of a knight who would rather make music than fight battles, and who models a romantic relationship that is heartfelt but platonic and doesn't include a marriage. I thought this episode was a little heavy handed compared to others in the series, as that romance is contrasted to two others---including that of Tristram and Iseult---in which the principals are made out to be either self absorbed schemers or buffoons...or both.
AudryT
Charming and witty. Will have to read the others in the series now.
Hannah Morris
I love Dinadan!
Atticus
I honestly love this book. The first time I read it, I immediately opened it from the front and read it again. The cover gave me cause for doubt, but from the moment we are introduced to Dinadan, I loved him. He's not some boring knight doing deeds for ladies our gaining honor. He's a nobleman's son with unwanted glory thrust upon him. And he earns that glory with his rebec other that the sword. A must read for any Renaissance or King Arthur fans.
Deborah Lewitt
I think this is my favorite of "the Squire's Tales". I know it has my favorite character in Sir Dinadan, himself. Gerald Morris is very bold in his look at the extra-marital activity so prevalent in the legends surrounding Camelot, while keeping the content appropriate for younger readers. LOVE this book. this book is a stand out in an outstanding series. clever, witty, sparkling, are just a few of the words that come to mind.
Joy
This series just gets better and better. I've always thought Tristan and Isolde were idiots, and that King Mark was a bit of a sucker. This is a story about them, but it is told through the eyes of Dinadan, a knight who played a minor role in Malory's version of the story. I appreciated his level-headedness and the resolution at the end with Brangienne. On to The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (Book 6).
Jing
This book was SO boring. I hate Sir Dinadan. I wanted to read from the point of view of a famous knight or an interesting girl or something, but instead I get a boring knight who wishes to be a minstrel. I love the myth of Tristan and Isolde, and but from Dinadan's point of view, it's just stupid.
Lia
Gerald Morris' retellings of the Authuring legends are wonderful. Their humor, cadence, characters---all are well worth the read. He has some obvious opinions about chivalric codes and what it means to be a knight, but this adds to the fun.

One of my favorites.
Cara
I seriously love all the books in this series that I've read so far. This book made me laugh out loud a lot. I especially love the story of Tristram and Iseult. What a goofy couple. I'm not sure that I liked the ending. I'm going to have to think about it for awhile.
Denae
I just found this one a bit dull. It takes place over several years, and there's no good romance, and there aren't as many familiar characters, and not as many fights or ladies. Dinadin is witty and funny, but he's not Terence or Gary or Rhience.
Ron
My son finished this fun retelling of the tale of Tristan and Iseult through the lens of Sir Dinadan with his original take on what being a knight means. We were sorry when the tale ended. Well, on to the next in the series.
Mimi
This is a delightful series of King Arthur retellings, and this may be my favorite one so far. Excellent characters, nice take on the story of Tristan and Isolde, and a lot of great humor.
Close to a four
Alexandra Spangler
These are really good books! They're set in the time of King Arthur and elaborate on fairytales that were written a long time ago and teh author thought they should tell the stories with more detail.
Meredith
This is another enjoyable book. Dinadan is really funny and likable, but I really missed Terrence and Gawain. I like the series best when Terence is around. I enjoyed the unconventional ending though.
Ginger
This was a fun little book I picked up in the middle school section of the library while searching for books for Andrew. It was an easy but good read. I'll probably pick up a few more by this author.
Beth
Jun 16, 2008 Beth added it
I really enjoyed this story and the character of Dinadan. I enjoy heroes that use their minds first and weapons as a last resort. Plus he was funny. I just love this series of stories.
Elise
Insightful and humorous, as Gerald Morris always is. I just once again was slightly let down by the ending. But it was a great retelling of Tristan and Isolde from a new perspective.
  • Hobby (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #2)
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2)
  • Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur
  • The Arkadians
  • Guinevere's Gamble (Chrysalis Queen Quartet, #2)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
  • I Am Mordred
  • The Book of Mordred
  • Black Horses for the King
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
Gerald Morris is known for his light yet addictive series of stories for preteen and teen readers based in the Middle Ages during the time of King Arthur. Collectively called "The Squire's Tales", the series includes The Squire's Tale, The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady, The Savage Damsel and The Dwarf, and Parsifal's Page. The books at the start of the series focus on Gawain, but primarily on T...more
More about Gerald Morris...
The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales, #1) The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3) The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2) The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6) Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)

“He expects us to kill him," Palomides said to Dinadan.
"Some people are so demanding," Dinadan replied. "Considering we've only just met, I mean.”
13 likes