Start by marking “All You Want to Know About the Bible in Pop Culture: Finding Our Creator in Superheroes, Prince Charming, and Other Modern Marvels” as Want to Read:

Somehow, it s hard to picture pop culture and Christianity going hand-in-hand, but maybe we simplyaren'tlooking at things the right way. All You Want to Know About the Bible in Pop Culture reveals places where readers may be surprised to find redeeming values and gospel messages in today s movies, music, popular TV shows, and much more!

When you look closely, past the outra
Published March 24th 2015 by Thomas Nelson

Be the first to ask a question about All You Want to Know About the Bible in Pop Culture

Ioana
"Like those four heroes of the Bible, would you dare to join me in learning more of the art of our time and see what God can do through us?"
This is the question the author of All You Want to Know About the Bible in Pop Culture invites his reader to ponder. Kevin Harvey structures his book in eight chapters, each dealing with a major theme in pop culture. Starting from Superman’s (which of course stands for Savior, actually!), going through movies and TV series (oh, how I loved the Lost chapter!)
Bonnie
Nov 09, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Innovative, relatable and eye opening!
Nathan Albright
Mar 21, 2015 Nathan Albright rated it really liked it
[Note: This book was provided free of charge by BookLook/Thomas Nelson Publishers in exchange for an honest review.]

At the heart of this book there is an identity crisis. The author has written a breezy and lighthearted book, only about 150 pages in the main text, filled with lots of sidebars, humorous jokes, silly quizzes about the Bible and pop culture, and appendices filled with crossword puzzles and word searches. Parts of this book are similar to what one would expect to see in the sort of
Jaina
Apr 20, 2015 Jaina rated it it was ok
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

Hopefully you know by now that I'm no stranger when it comes to enjoying diverse books. I'm pretty current when it comes to new MG and YA books, I enjoy a good fantasy as much as the next person, and my bookshelves hold way more science than Amish fiction. What you may not know is that my music library is also pretty open to a wide variety of music genres. When I put my iPad on random shuffle, these are the first five songs that come up: "
Jonathan Esterman
Sep 30, 2015 Jonathan Esterman rated it really liked it
Now I’ll admit I requested this book more for my oldest than myself, but I knew I had to read it and so I did – I don’t usually try to find Jesus or Biblical themes in everything I watch or listen to. I know that if I’m watching say, CSI, more than likely it’s not going to have a Christian theme, if it does it’s usually Christians being made fun of, or if I listen to KISS more than likely there isn’t going to be much God talk. I think though, for our younger culture who is very much into the ...more
Stacie Wyatt
Jul 20, 2015 Stacie Wyatt rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for honest review. The book discusses how God is seen in pop culture. From how Superman has similarities to Jesus. Superman came from another land to be a light unto the world. He saved the world too. Batman also took the blame for things, he did not do so people of Gotham City would have hope. Jesus also died for our sins so we can have everlasting life. Thor died and was resurrected too.

The book also discussed one of my favorite movies, Bruce Almighty. In the
Denise DiFalco
Mar 26, 2016 Denise DiFalco rated it liked it

Growing up in a faith based family, I can totally relate to Kevin Harvey's new book "The Bible in Pop Culture; Finding our creator in superheroes, prince charming and other modern marvels". It was a real treat to find Faith mentioned in the media through song, books, plays or movies as a teenager to confirm my belief. While I was growing up in the seventies, my christian friends and I rocked to Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" and learnt all the words to the musical "Jesus Christ Supersta
Teresa Kander
Aug 22, 2015 Teresa Kander rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I was fascinated by the premise of this book. Finding God in pop culture might make it easier to spread the message to non-believers, after all. Unfortunately, most of the book was just too far-fetched for me to get behind. Comparing Superman to Jesus? Give me a break!!!

By the time I finished, I felt as though the author were writing in an attempt to "Christianize" television shows and movies which he enjoys, rather than showing actual ways they relate to the Bible or our faith.

The fact is, we c
Cym
Jul 13, 2015 Cym rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One has to be updated on all Hollywood movies, TV series and popular music to be able to relate with and appreciate this book. Unfortunately, I am not. Therefore, it was difficult to finish this book. Even if there were synopses and brief descriptions, the details were important to be able to make the connection with the Bible.

All You Want to Know About the Bible in Pop Culture shows that we can find God’s messages everywhere; in stories, in TV shows, in songs, in movies, if we only look.

Read my
Ricky Kimsey
Jan 10, 2016 Ricky Kimsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pop Culture And The Bible

This is another book about religious elements that can be found in pop culture. The author covers everything from The Big Bang Theory to the Harry Potter movies and finds references to the Bible in these works and others.
The Rad Books
May 31, 2015 The Rad Books rated it it was ok
The book provided a few interesting points. However, I felt that the majority of connections the author drew between the Bible and pop culture were too much of a stretch.
Lena
Jan 30, 2016 Lena rated it really liked it
Some of the things I couldn't relate to, because I had not read or watched some of the books or shows that were used as analogies. But it was good overall!
Rebecca Ray
Rebecca Ray rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Jean Marrapodi
Jean Marrapodi rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Jaycee Jaksii
Jaycee Jaksii rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Matthew McDougle
Matthew McDougle rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Dondra
Dondra rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Robin Lee Hatcher
Robin Lee Hatcher rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
Kevin Ellis
Kevin Ellis rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Jonathan Anderson
Jonathan Anderson rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jodi Blumhorst
Jodi Blumhorst marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Olivia Phillips
Olivia Phillips marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Lian Liu
Lian Liu marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Harley Williams
Harley Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
America Gathings
America Gathings marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Paul J
Paul J marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Ashwini Natasha
Ashwini Natasha marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Steve Laube
Steve Laube marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016

Kevin Harvey has spent the last 12 years as an editor and writer in Christian publishing, but has spent much longer than that immersing himself in pop culture, especially during the summer movie season. He self-published his first book, Jonah, John, and the Second Greatest (but Most Avoided) Commandment, in 2010
More about Kevin Harvey...