T.S. Eliot Reads: The Wasteland, Four Quartets and Other Poems

The Four Quartets
Ash Wednesday
A Song for the Simeon from the Ariel...more
audio cassette, Abridged, 0 pages
Published April 26th 2000 by Caedmon (first published January 1st 1000)

To ask other readers questions about T.S. Eliot Reads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about T.S. Eliot Reads

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
303rd out of 1,375 books — 1,511 voters

More lists with this book...

Elfortunawe
~~~On First Reading~~~[return][return]There's not much to be said about these poems on first reading. For the most part they're too cryptic to be properly understood right off the bat, with one exception being "Journey of the Magi".[return][return]"Journey of the Magi" is a monologue, assumedly from one of the famous Magi from the East who came looking for Jesus in the wake of a star. Basically (and I say this with a reserve of irony, since Eliot's poetry can hardly be described as basic) it con...more
S.P.
His poems are fantastic on paper, even better read aloud, and absolutely perfect when read by Eliot himself. Whether you want to or not, after listening to Eliot read his work, you will hear his voice in your head every time you read his poems in the future. This recording of "Prufrock" is particularly well-done.
Fiona
In the poem, a bunch of Hollow Men are like scarecrows leaning towards each other. Everything about them is dry, including their voices and their bodies. The things they say and do are meaningless. They were too timid and cowardly to commit the violent acts They have not crossed over the River Styx to make it to either Heaven or Hell. The people who have gone to heaven of hell remember these guys as "hollow men." One hollow man is afraid to look at people who made it to "death's dream kingdom"...more
Cherie
I really enjoyed these TS Eliot poems read by Sir Alec Guinness. I have been listening to the tapes over and over. It is not enough, nor even fair, to listen only once. Each time the lines are read, I hear something different. I tune into the cadence or the seperate words jump out and really highlight one line or a group of lines from another.

Poems on CD or Audio tape cannot be listened to only once, no more than they can only be read in their printed form only once.

I liked the Four Quartetes...more
Erica
Love it, though Eliot's voice is almost terrifying. But it certainly adds to the intensity of his poetry, and man, I love his poetry! Sometimes, he is too monotone for me, and drab-sounding in these recordings. Interesting stuff, if you are an Eliot fan.
Sharon
It's always a pleasure to read such a talented poet, but, for some reason, I like the Wasteland better than several pieces of the Four Quartets. The Quartets are crafted, but seem tame and forced in places.
Emily Smith
spoken word is powerful, and Eliot knows how to read words in a way to make you think. Because you can't have the author with you always, you need to hear him read these poems at least once.
Leighann
I only read a couple of these poems, The Hollow Men and The Hippopotamus. But I give these poems 5 stars - The Hollow Men refers to the Character Kurtz from Conrads Heart of Darkness.
Dennis
Perfect listening for making candles in a cabin in the woods. This may be the only audio that I add to my list, but you've gotta hear Eliot in his own voice.
Must read-3
Accessible-3
Francisco
Gran, gran poesía. Brillante, magistral, amarga... Reflexión árida y lúcida sobre la condición humana, sobre una sociedad entrópica, sobre la religión y la cultura... Magistral.
Emma
Listening to Eliot read his epic and thought provoking poems brings entirely new levels of meaning to phrases that aren't necessarily in the text alone.
Geoff
When I was a freshman in college I used to listen to this cassette all the time. What a total weirdo I was/am.
Cheryl
The Wasteland is not an easy read, but it's powerful stuff if you give it a chance.
Claire S
Hmmm.. another I'm totally ignorant of, and would rather that weren't so.
Klay Kubiak
my favorite writer of all time..."the hollow men" i find to be his best work.
Elizabeth
Re-read "The Four Quartets." These poems are windows to my soul.
Mandi
Brilliant.
Courtney Falkeck
Courtney Falkeck marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Anas
Anas marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
Jun 30, 2014
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...
The Waste Land and Other Poems The Waste Land Collected Poems, 1909-1962 The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

“For I have known them all already, known them all -
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all -
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
And how should I presume?”
19 likes
“He, the young man carbuncular, arrives,
A small house agent's clerk, with one bold stare,
One of the low on whom assurance sits
As a silk hat on a Bradford millionaire.”
1 likes