Start by marking “Dorothy Parker Drank Here” as Want to Read:
Dorothy Parker Drank Here

Dorothy Parker Drank Here (Dorothy Parker #2)

The acid-tongued Dorothy Parker is back and haunting the halls of the Algonquin with her piercing wit, audacious voice, and unexpectedly tender wisdom.

Heavenly peace? No, thank you. Dorothy Parker would rather wander the famous halls of the Algonquin Hotel, drink in hand, searching for someone,anyone, who will keep her company on this side of eternity.

After forty years she
Published February 24th 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy Parker Drank Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorothy Parker Drank Here

The Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsOne for Sorrow by Jane GodmanPretty Baby by Mary KubicaThe Life and Death of Sophie Stark by Anna NorthThings Unsaid by Diana Y. Paul
Best Adult Fiction Books of 2015
7th out of 17 books — 51 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardA Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. SchwabThe Ruby Circle by Richelle MeadMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaMonstrous by MarcyKate Connolly
February 2015 Releases
54th out of 78 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Judy Collins
A special thank you to Penguin First to Read for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 4.5 Stars

Wacky, hilarious, and entertaining! Shaken and definitely, stirred. Just purchased Meister's two audiobooks, Farewell Dorthy Parker and The Other Life.

Dorothy Parker, an American poet, short story writer, critic and satirist, best known for her wit, wisecracks, and 20th century urban foibles returns in spirit for some contemporary literary fun and games in Dorothy Parker Drank Here.

As the book
Jaylia3
Nov 30, 2014 Jaylia3 rated it it was amazing
This entertaining novel featuring the ghost of witty Dorothy Parker is, of course, full of tart-tongued repartee, but along with the humor is a surprisingly moving story of friendship and family. Though no longer among the living, Dorothy Parker is still hanging around the Algonquin Hotel in corporeal form as long as mysteriously powerful guest book she signed years ago is open, but she’s lonely because most of her friends from back in the day have moved on--even Groucho Marx and Lillian Hellman ...more
Myfanwy
Nov 06, 2014 Myfanwy rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Ellen Meister and having read all of her books (all of which I have loved) I can say without a doubt that this is my favorite, Once again, Meister managed to surprise and delight me with the massive, beating heart of this book. In typical Meister fashion, this book contains great humor, wit, twists and turns. Once again, she brings Dorothy Parker alive (well, sort of... Parker is still dead) and sets her loose in our modern-day, mixed-world. I fell in love with all of the ...more
Melissa  I
Jan 03, 2016 Melissa I rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, Everyone who likes humor, sarcasm, a light enjoyable read with meaning
Recommended to Melissa by: offered on Penguin First To Read
Spoiler Free

I had so much fun with this book. Laughs, some shocker surprises, guessing all the way through. Once again, #PutnamBooks puts out another great from an awesome Author. I just finished so my final thoughts are still swirling through my head and I only have a few more hours with this one so I'm off to mark down my favorite quotes and passages to share when it's released.

This ------> Dorothy Parker Drank Here by Ellen Meister <-------- by Ellen Meister was such a joy to read, fun, and a wonderful book all around! A uniq
Laurie
Apr 23, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
Norah Wolfe has a long standing obsession with has-been author Ted Shriver. When her mother gave her a copy of one of his books when she was 13, his words touched her so deeply she almost couldn’t finish the book. So when the TV show Norah works for gets canceled, she says she can get Shriver on the show, even though they’ve never met. This would be a big deal because many years ago, at the height of his fame, Shriver was accused of plagiarism. He never explained, and vanished from sight.

Shrive
Sherry
Aug 29, 2015 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-this-year
A must read for Dorothy Parker fans! Dorothy Parker is alive again- well, sort of. Because of a guest book she signed at the Algonquin Hotel, she's become the resident ghost there- a fact that brings terror to some and casual acceptance to others. With her unique brand of wit and a drink in hand, Dorothy sets her sights on the perfect person to keep her company in eternity -Ted Shriver, a reclusive writer whose career was ended twenty five years earlier by a plagiarism scandal. With the help of ...more
Chris  Carroll
Nov 22, 2015 Chris Carroll rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I had as much fun reading a book as this one. I love when an author has a dry wit that shines through between the lines. This story is like none other I have read. I fell in love with the premise and knew I had to check it out. I am so glad I did.

This book was fun from the first pages. I had not had the privilege of reading the first installment of this series, but not to worry on that part as this installment is actually the Prequel!

Set mainly in an old hotel, this sto
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Dec 10, 2015 Meg - A Bookish Affair rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2015
In "Dorothy Parker Drank Here," famous writer and wit, Dorothy Parker is a ghost haunting the famous Algonquin Hotel. The Algonquin Hotel played host to so many writers in the early 20th century and Parker is not ready to leave. Add a old reporter with a secret and a young ingenue who wants to figure out what is going on and you have all the makings for an original story. This is a little bit of a strange premise and I wasn't sure about reading the book initially by I was interested in seeing ...more
Sandy
Jun 21, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I gulped this book down, with relish, as quickly as Mrs. Parker was known to imbibe a gin and tonic. "Dorothy Parker Drank Here" by Ellen Meister is a laugh aloud funny book. The acerbic Dorothy Parker is dead but not departed. She's been a ghost, hence these forty years, who refuses to "go into the white light" because she fears the boredom of eternity. Preferring instead to hang around the Blue Bar in the Algonquin Hotel, Mrs. Parker bums cigarettes, drinks other people's martinis and looks ...more
Debbie
Mar 23, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing

Ms. Meister used the Algonquin guest book as the portal to bring the charming and enigmatic Dorothy Parker to life. The book provides a choice for all who sign: the light where the loved ones wait for you, or earth where you drink and haunt the Algonquin. But when the book opens, only Dorothy Parker pops out. She was the only one who chose to stay on earth because she found the light too boring.

I won’t give away the plots but will say they twist and turn, keeping you interested and educated.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Dec 03, 2014 Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee marked it as abandoned-maybe-later
Count me as the one person in the USA who couldn't get into this book... despite the fact that the word-smithing was excellent and Ellen Meister captured the essence of who and what I think Dorothy Parker would sound like.

The problem for me were the other characters. I just didn't like them as people. Well, with perhaps the exception of the drunk and dying author whose career had been destroyed. He sort of rocked.
Norrin2
Apr 27, 2015 Norrin2 rated it liked it
Ellen Meister does a great job of channeling Dorothy Parker's caustic wit which is why I gave this book three stars instead of one. The rest of the book with its literary recluse, a wife still bitter 25 years after the divorce and of course the long-last daughter, is maudlin and predictable, just the kind of writing Dorothy Parker would hate
Douglas Cronk
Mar 09, 2016 Douglas Cronk rated it it was amazing
The ghost of Dorothy Parker haunts the Algonquin Hotel waiting for friends of her Round Table days to pass to the other side. Dorothy's legendary wit is on display here in Ellen Meister's humorous, and touching, novel. Just wonderful.
LORI CASWELL
Dec 11, 2015 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Dollycas’s Thoughts

All of Dorothy Parker’s friends and enemies see the white light and follow it quite quickly to the great beyond. Not Dorothy, she plans to stick around as long as she can but she does get lonely. Enter Ted Shriver who has come to the Algonquin Hotel to meet his maker. His writing career ended years ago when he was accused of plagiarism. He has nobody to stick around for, he just wants to be left alone to die, but Dorothy has other ideas.

This is the second book Ellen Meister ha
Kathy
Jul 03, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After "Farewell Dorothy Parker" I have really been waiting for Ellen Meister's next book about Dorothy Parker. This book is amusing, and really locks onto what a complete wit Dorothy Parker was. Talks too about the Algonquin and its history. Love the cat, even though I know it is not the same cat all these years. (Anymore than Lassie was the same dog!!) A great touch.

The story highlights Ms. Parker's intelligence and her talent of the quick comeback. Always wished I had that talent. There is no
Andrew Tibbetts
May 05, 2015 Andrew Tibbetts rated it it was amazing
Books have to be judged by their own agendas. This book doesn't want to be James Joyce highbrow or Dan Brown lowbrow (both fine goals, by the way), it wants to be a smart and charming read combining delightful fantasy with heartfelt realism. Tick, tick, tick, tick. All boxes ticked. When I opened it to begin, I thought there's no way it can capture Parker's wit. It captures it and gives us the human heart beating underneath. More ticks! Surprisingly, given the tough company, all the other ...more
Matthew
Jan 13, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this, though the advance copy was *supposed* to be for Tim Dowling's "How to be a Husband."
Not being picky, I read what I was given, and man, was it a fun read. I really liked the premise, the Dorothy Parker character, which made me want to read more into her life (and I'm pretty sure the short bios I've read about her are *very* slim on details about the time she's spent as a ghost, haunting the Algonquin Hotel).
I was very glad to get this by accident.
Jerry Humphrey
Jul 01, 2016 Jerry Humphrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Book

A good fictional story which revolves around the ghost of Dorothy Parker, a witty and wonderful lady who had sharp mind and tongue and is an American icon and legend. Well thought out and a quick, easy read. It is well worth the time and money. Ms. Meister captures the essence of Parker as well as anyone and weaves an interesting story which is hard to put down.
Ricki
Feb 18, 2016 Ricki rated it it was amazing
I did not know how Ellen Meister would top the first book in this series, but she did it! I love, love, love the concept...Please, more of the ghostly (and witty) Dorothy Parker please...This has got to be one of the best books I have read so far this year!
Andy
Apr 17, 2016 Andy added it
The book ping-pongs between transactions ("Let's talk to this person; that went nowhere; let's talk to the next person...") that have vague (or unbelievable) motivations behind them. It's not until certain emotional motivations get revealed that the story comes together.
Angela
Mar 30, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Meister's best book by far! Complicated, intriguing, and multilayered, this gem takes you on a wild ride with Dorothy Parker, Ted Shriver, and Norah that will leave you guessing, hoping, praying, and reading right through to the end. The best book I've read in a while.
Paula
Aug 18, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
I couldn't resist the title or the story. The spirit of Dorothy Parker is trapped in the halls of the Algonquin Hotel with staff alternately annoyed by and terrified of her. Not a perfect novel, but certainly a pleasant read.
nikkia authement
Nov 30, 2015 nikkia authement rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks Berkley Publishing Group and netgalley for this ARC.

What more can I say or add to the legion of great reviews out there? One more thumbs up! Great change after you read a serious/sad novel, so give humorous books a chance.
J.S. Dunn
Jul 24, 2016 J.S. Dunn rated it liked it
3.5
Light-hearted, with a clever plot but nothing complicated. Prose style flattened and dumbed down in the style currently in vogue from Big Fat Publishers. Would read another Meister title that hinges on Dorothy Parker. One more, but no more than one.
Steve Shilstone
Feb 29, 2016 Steve Shilstone rated it really liked it
When one accelerates one's reading speed as one hurries to find out what happens next, one knows one is enjoying a good read.
Susan
Mar 26, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Ellen Meister has done it again! For fans of the inimitable Mrs. Parker, this well-plotted little book won't disappoint.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2015 Ellen rated it it was ok
Don't bother...
Lee Ann
Nov 21, 2016 Lee Ann rated it really liked it
A fun light read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Dorothy Parker is always an interesting topic and Ellen Meister creates a character who feels real and flawed. Her interactions with the "real" people are fun and often touching.

Jill
Nov 04, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I loved this book. Hysterical!
  • Bubba Done It (Dreamwalker, #2)
  • Black Karma: A White Ginger Novel
  • Wink of an Eye
  • Blowing Off Steam
  • Window Wall (Glass Thorns, #4)
  • Overdrive
  • Soul Weaver
  • Stealing A Summer's Afternoon
  • The Green God
  • The Arnold Lobel Treasury
  • Lightning Rod (Broken Mirrors, #2)
  • Damek's Redemption (Legacy, #6)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation #1)
  • Perfect Catch (Boys of Summer, #2)
  • Silent City: A Claire Codella Mystery
  • Notorious (Playing With Fire, #4)
  • The Strange Birth, Short Life, and Sudden Death of Justice Girl
  • 101 Things You Thought You Knew About the Titanic . . . but Didn't!
Thank you for visiting my Goodreads page. My new book, DOROTHY PARKER DRANK HERE, came out this year from Putnam and I'm excited for you to read it. My other books include FAREWELL, DOROTHY PARKER (Putnam 2013), THE OTHER LIFE (Putnam 2011), SECRET CONFESSIONS OF THE APPLEWOOD PTA (HarperCollins 2006) and THE SMART ONE (HarperCollins 2008). I'm also an essayist, editor, public speaker, and creati ...more
More about Ellen Meister...

Dorothy Parker (2 books)
  • Farewell, Dorothy Parker

“She had been so vulnerable, and Norah wanted only to protect her. But that vulnerability was tied to a massive mistake, a perception of herself too damaged to love. If Norah got anything from this book, it's that we're all damaged. The tragedy is letting it define you.” 3 likes
“Unlike your mother," she said, exhaling, "I told the culprit immediately. I thought at the very least he would visit me in the hospital after it was all done, but the son of a bitch sent me a get well card. Can you imagine? Serves me right for putting all my eggs in one bastard.” 1 likes