Start by marking “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth” as Want to Read:
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  4,438 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Based on the screenplay by Melissa Mathison.

You do what the Old Botanist did when he was accidentally left behind on Earth. First you find a friend...

Filmaker STEVEN SPIELBERG and novelist WILLIAM KOTZWINKLE together create a magical story about two unforgettable friends: a ge...more
Published June 1st 1982 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth

Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
353rd out of 820 books — 4,606 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
I Saw the Movie & Read the Book
262nd out of 1,235 books — 1,285 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Todd
Aug 31, 2014 Linda Todd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends
Recommended to Linda by: a gift
Read this book to kids at night for bed time story and they liked it that much they want me to read it again next week
furious
Jul 08, 2008 furious rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of young adult sci-fi
Recommended to furious by: William Kotzwinkle
when this book turned up at the store one day, a couple things struck me: a) i don't remember ANYTHING about the movie ET. i think i saw it one time when i was a little kid, back when it came out. but unlike most other people on Earth, i didn't go apeshit for it or anything. so it doesn't exactly hold a place in my heart, is what i'm saying. or in my memory. b) the novelization is written by William Kotzwinkle. that dude is awesome. i mean, i've never read anything he has written, but his dust j...more
Sereleaf
Empiezo con decir que no es de mis historias favoritas desde siempre. De chiquita le tenía miedo y, la vez que pude ver la película entera sin largarme a llorar, no me gustó para nada. Así que hace unos días decidí darle una oportunidad al libro.

En ningún momento me dejó a la expectativa, deseando seguir con el capítulo siguiente porque el actual había quedado en suspenso. Nunca deseé decir "un capítulo más" y quedarme leyendo hasta tarde. Un montón de libros me dieron esa sensación, pero este n...more
Yumi Matsue
I have ever watched this movie many times, But I had known many new things in this book.
So far , I hadn't known about ET completely.
Especially, I didn't know how he learn the words of earth.
Using computer, He could learn the words of earth.
And He could contact to his friends.
If I were Elliott, I wouldn't get along with ET.
Because I think that I would afraid ET.
So I think Elliott is very kind person.
Because He could be friend of ET.
First time I think he was suprised at ET.
As day go, ET and He bec...more
Kandice
This book is just as heartwrenching as the movie! I know it's an adaptation of themovie, not the other way around, but I always get more out of the written word than I do images on a screen.
Kathleen
Nov 29, 2007 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nerdy people
Shelves: favorites, sam-and-me
Although it's incredibly nerdy, this book has to be my all time favorite. The book has so much depth and intimacy, what a classic, treasure of a book. It makes my heart warm and fuzzy!
B. Jay
80's movie novelizations are a genre unto themselves. The ET novel fits the mold perfectly- thin and discounted as a true piece of writing, these novelizations were intended to collect a piece of coin from fans and feed the greater monetization of pop culture that Lucas had demonstrated a few years earlier. Like many of these small re-writes of the original script, ET exceeds the expectations. Kotzwinkle makes the bold move of writing the novel from the perspective of the Old Botanist. From this...more
Haruna Saka
-Penguin Readers, Level2
-Time; 10/16=20min, 10/17=56min, 10/18=12min
-7words summary; spaceship, extra-terrestrial, hide, closet, scientists, bike, return
-Discussion questions
1.If extra-terrestrial appeared in front of you, what would you do?
A. In my case, I'd escape from ET, because I'd be afraid of any kinds of alien... Even if ET isn't an afraid alien, I'd not help like Elliott. He is so kind!
2. Have you ever watched the movie, "E.T."? And, have you ever ridden on an attraction of E.T. In...more
Daniel G.
Apr 08, 2012 Daniel G. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who watched and loved the movie.
One of the mysteries of the movies is what was it that made E.T. spring to life when by human measures he was already dead. William Kotzwinkle's novel gives that answer and a lot more insight into what's going into the alien's head.

I won't go into much detail. The movie is such a cultural icon that I'll assume everyone knows it's about a stranded alien trying to get home who gets help from a boy he befriends.

Film tie-ins can often be good for extra background that had to be cut from the movie. B...more
Storm
I am in awe...

I remember watching the ET movie when I was younger, but I never would have guessed the book would hold such sway over me.
If you liked the movie, definitely check out the book, it's more then worth it. Not only do you get a better look into E.T.'s thoughts but you also get to understand the friendships he forms much better.
HeavyReader
Feb 24, 2014 HeavyReader marked it as to-read
Shelves: movies
I remember standing in line (Wal-Mart? the supermarket? the bookstore?) and reading the first few pages of this paperback. One kid calls another kid "penis breath" and the mom wonders who this phrase found its way into her family. That's as far as a I got.
Shandril
I don't know; when I read it as a little kid I was terribly impressed. I doubt I'd feel the same way if I read it now. The bottom line is the Reese's Pieces still kick ass, regardless of who you're baiting with them. This truth will never change.
Paul Lunger
It's almost hard to believe that 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" which is the first movie I'd ever see in the theater at the age of 5. Over the years this movie by Stephen Spielberg has been a classic for the ages, that's why I was thrilled to find this storybook based upon that movie from so very long ago. Kotzwinkle does a nice job retelling the story of Elliott & E.T. who was left behind by his space ship in the face of danger. The photos fr...more
David Fox
Mar 26, 2014 David Fox rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any of those intrested is life outside our planet
I remember seeing E.T. as a kid and figured it was time to read the book.
I found it to be a much better read than I was truly expecting.
William Kotzwinkle found a great way to draw the reader in.
Irving Karchmar
Based on the screenplay by Melissa Mathison, William Kotzwinkle tells the story of ET from his point of view, and it is in many ways better and more insightful and touching than the movie. Kotzwinkle is a wonderful storyteller, and a prolific children's book author, and lovingly tells the the alien's tale:

"What do you do when you're lost, millions of miles from home, surrounded by frightening creatures?
Terraner
Nostalgic childhood memories.
Ilze
Jan 11, 2009 Ilze rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Patricia Powell
My friend, Patricia, used to collect all the ET stickers she could lay her hands on. She'd watched the movie and being an "laat lammetjie", she even got some other ET memorabilia. At the time, we were still living on a farm out of town, which meant I never ended up seeing the movie, so had to read the book when I saw it at the library - I really enjoyed it.
Nyie Rombeng
alien identik dengan makhluk jahat yang suka melakukan invasi kebumi & planet lainnya.namun di E.T.kamu para readers akan menemukan versi lain bahwa tidak selamanya alien itu jahat bahkan mereka bisa bersahabat dengan manusia.
bukankah bila ada hitam tentu ada putih?,E.T.merupakan cerita yang memorable & everlasting untuk semua umur tentunya:)
Jake
One of a handful of Lucas/Spielberg movie novelizations I read growing up. Its value is in spelling out the introspection of characters. One of my favorite moments is when Elliot's mother looks out the kitchen window at her neighbor, silently ridiculing him. It's these little personal moments that make novelizations worth reading.

Sam
This is a great little read that condenses Spielberg's movie into 44 pages of vivid and imaginative writing complete with colour photographs from the film itself. Having not seen the film for years you forget how good a story it was but this captures all the magic from the movie and makes you want to watch it once again.
Nycdreamin
What 12 year old kid was not swept up by E.T. mania in 1982 when the movie was released. I ate too many Reeces Pieces and collected E.T. Cards. And of course I picked up a copy of the paperback book and read it several times. I no longer have my original copy as it fell apart many years ago.
Kanji Kasahara
This book is famous as movie. E.T. came from a space and he's an alien. I think a normal person can't get along nicely with an alien but main character could do it. This scene moved me. Then speaking of "E.T.", it make me visualize a cycle floating in the sky. This scene was good, too.
Niki
Aug 25, 2009 Niki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Niki by: My mom bought it for me
This is my favourite movie, so I obviously was drawn to the book. The great thing about the book though is it gives you an insight to what E.T. himself is thinking in a very funny way. A lovely lovely read and even the BOOK makes me cry like the movie does. Well done.

Distressed Damsel22
This book is old, way too old. I first read it when I was 10 years old. I used to love it and ignoring the almost childish vocabulary and grammar and the basic, stereotypical story. If you can ignore that, it is good...for your younger sibling ;)
Karen
I read this book long before I saw the movie-and my favorite part was the family dog and E.T.'s relationship and I laughed through the whole book.....until the plant started dying :(
LOVED the book and the movie!!! So glad I read the book 1st!!!
Brian J. Shoopman
Easily one of the most well-written adaptations of a licensed property that I've ever read, this was my gateway for discovering William Kotzwinkle and I've read a number of his novels since -- he's a truly fantastic writer.
Paul Simon Grimsley
i rushed out to get this on the day it came it out back in the 1980s and read it in 3 hours. i remember noticing mistakes that they made in regards to the film. oh well, not exactly a classic or anything.
Lm.miller
I read this because since I was a child, I have been afraid of E.T. And. . . I still am. As soon as I finished the book, I hid it under some papers so I didn't have to look at the cover.
Amanda
This is literally the worst book I've ever read. The characters were so uninteresting and annoying I dON'T EVEN KNOW HOW I GOT THROUGH THE ENTIRE BOOK
Thomas
I found this among many others I never got around to reading. It's surprisingly good, but I don't want to give away the ending!!!

p.s. he dies :(
  • Braveheart
  • Sleeping With the Enemy
  • Escape to Witch Mountain
  • The Devil's Advocate
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Star Wars, #6)
  • X-Men
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda
  • Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner
William Kotzwinkle is a two-time recipient of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, a winner of the World Fantasy Award, the Prix Litteraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris, the PETA Award for Children's Books, and a Book Critics Circle award nominee. His work has been translated into dozens of languages.
More about William Kotzwinkle...
Walter the Farting Dog The Bear Went Over the Mountain The Fan Man Doctor Rat Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale

“And still others heard: dreeeple zoonnnnnnggggggg ummmmmtwrrrdssss
Calling from the beyond
Whatever it was, it touched E.T.'s healing finger, and caused it to glow.
He healed himself.”