Start by marking “The Dark Days - End of the World (#1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Days - End of the World (#1)

The Dark Days - End of the World (The Dark Days #1)

Can't get enough of The Hunger Games? Want to know what could have caused the formation of the 13 districts and what led to Game 1? This is that story.

The Dark Days saga of what happened before the games will satisfy your Hunger!

End of the World - Episode 1: Nineteen-year old Claudia Sheeplord is aboard an airplane flying to Denver when she discovers that all attempts to
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 34 pages
Published June 22nd 2014 by GK Publishing (first published June 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Days - End of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Days - End of the World

William Stuart
Oct 13, 2014 William Stuart rated it it was amazing
Unlike many people, I have never read The Hunger Games books. I did see the first movie, but just haven’t been drawn into the series. Given that, I didn’t have anything to compare The Dark Days: End of the World – Episode 1, and could read and review it without any bias. Read on to see what I thought.

Synopsis (from the author): Inspired by a Hunger Games prequel. Want to know what could have caused the formation of the 13 districts and what led to Game 1? This is that story.

End of the World - E
Kelly Hull
Aug 16, 2013 Kelly Hull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I’m surprised how much I liked the Dark Days. I wasn’t a big fan of the cover, but what it lacks there, it makes up for in story. The premise for Dark Days is an intriguing one with the coming apocalypse due to asteroids. Off the bat, I was reminded of “The World We Knew” which is a book I love. Within just a couple of pages, I fell in love with Ben. I am a sucker for smart characters and even more so when it is a smart child. The author raises enough story questions right ...more
Chameleon
Sep 19, 2013 Chameleon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr-books
I give this book 5 stars because I simply can't say anything against it. It was gripping, and pulled me right in. The author gives you a quick sense of the characters, and I came to like them immediately, and was concerned for them. The end of the book came too fast, though, and now I'm just worried sick for them! However, I know that Claudia is in good hands with Ben, he's one smart kid. I'll be seeing them both in the next book, and I have no doubt it will keep my eyes as glued to the page as ...more
Tani Mura
Aug 31, 2013 Tani Mura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As short as it was, I really enjoyed The Dark Days. It was fast paced and the writing style drew me in right away. I've been reading a lot of first person present tense narratives lately, and being inside Claudia's mind as chaos unravels around her was exciting. I enjoyed meeting the characters, and I imagine we learn more about them in the next episodes. Overall a good, easy read. Recommended!
Dena Nicotra
Aug 04, 2013 Dena Nicotra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in under an hour and what a fun hour it was! I love a story that you can get lost in, and this one sucks you in immediately. The action is intense and there is just the right amount of mystery to keep you guessing. Looking forward to the next episode!
Lita Burke
Oct 05, 2014 Lita Burke rated it it was amazing
The Dark Days: End of the World - Episode 1 by Ginger Gelsheimer and Taylor Anderson is a YA thriller about teen Claudia Sheeplord and the end of the world via asteroid.

Claudia has been skeptical about the blather over the past month about the killer asteroid that will slam into the Earth and raise the tides ten feet higher. Or two miles higher. Whatever. She is flying to Denver for her brother’s tongue-in-cheek wedding at the end of the world. At least she meets a new friend sitting across the
Celia Kennedy
Oct 13, 2014 Celia Kennedy rated it really liked it
Right out of the gate, this book is gripping! Ms. Gelsheimer has written a prequel to The Hunger Games Trilogy, which is a quick paced short story(book one of four in the series).

We meet Claudia Sheeplord, a twenty year old college student who is traveling to Denver for her brothers wedding. Seated near her is thirteen year old Benjamin Willoby, who is flying alone, to visit his father.

While in the air, they see the beginning of the Earth's end. Asteroids are colliding with the planet and changi
K.T.
Oct 11, 2014 K.T. rated it really liked it
When her regular, everyday flight touches down at the airport, Claudia is aware of the meteorites heading towards earth. Who would expect that the end of the world might come today? Danger is closer than she thinks and a chance kindness forges a bond between Claudia and fellow passenger Benjamin. In their quest to find safety the teenagers acquire others in their little group, some who make it and some who don’t. When everyone starts to look to Claudia for leadership, the scene is set.

As a colla
Jalpa Williby
Oct 10, 2014 Jalpa Williby rated it it was amazing
When I started reading the book, I had no idea what to expect. I knew it had something to do with how the Hunger Games started in the first place. I have to admit, I was surprised at how fast I read it. It is a short story and I finished it in a few hours.

The story held my attention the entire time. One thing after another happens. I kept thinking, what else can go wrong? The Dark Days is from Claudia's point of view. She's a teenager on the plane, traveling to the Denver Airport. Although I lik
Karen Black
Jan 06, 2014 Karen Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Days is a short story that grabbed my attention from the outset. I was impressed with the characters' development, and the author did an excellent job of drawing the reader into their dilemma. While the situation that is the basis of this story, is clearly life threatening, the pragmatic characters take it in stride. Realizing that a catastrophe beyond anything they could have imagined has actually occurred, two strangers, one of whom appears to be an extraordinarily savvy child, become ...more
Sonia Leon
Oct 06, 2014 Sonia Leon rated it really liked it
I loved the idea of this! What led to the forming of the districts and the start of the games? Dark Days series has the answer for that. The story starts out quick! It's a fast-paced read that I never felt bored with. There were a few moments of incredulity, and I had to go back and reread to figure out some minor things. Overall, I liked the supporting cast of characters, but I had difficultly understanding their lack of emotional response to what was happening. Maybe it was just the adrenaline ...more
Scott Collins
Oct 03, 2014 Scott Collins rated it really liked it
I'm a little confused as to how this ties in with The Hunger Games, but there are additional books in the series to answer that question for me. The Dark Days is a short book, I read it on the flight from NC to Denver, but it's action packed and I like the characters. Maybe I shouldn't have read a book that includes plane crashes while flying, but my safety was in the hands of someone far more qualified than myself, and astroids weren't about to hit Earth. Overall, a quick but exciting read and ...more
L. Sommers
Oct 06, 2014 L. Sommers rated it it was amazing
It's a good thing I moved out of California. I have never been a sci-fi fan, but after reading one of Ms. Gelsheimer's other books, Quest for the Hybrid, I became an instant fan of her writing and story telling. Between plane crashes, fires, explosions, waves of water, and near-misses by asteroids, main character Claudia Sheeplord and her newfound friend Benjamin, a.k.a. Ben if he considers you a friend, trudge through the snowy land of Denver, CO to find life and to save their own.

I am not some
C.J. Rutherford
Nov 07, 2014 C.J. Rutherford rated it it was amazing
From the start this short story forces you to love the two main characters, Claudia and Benjamin(or Ben to his friends). It's a snapshot of a few hours after an asteroid has destroyed most of the world. It's genius, as most books/films take the bigger, wider point of view, but Ginger expands the first few hours into incredible detail, making you hungry for the next installment.
If I was asked to describe it, I'd say Deep Impact meets Stephen Kings The Stand.
Heather Osborne
Oct 03, 2014 Heather Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia meets Ben on an airplane in the midst of a world crisis. Several asteroids are heading to Earth and all attempts to stop them have been exhausted. Together, they fight their way from the airport into a world filled with chaos.

Miss Gelsheimer has set the stage for a wonderful series, spinning off from The Hunger Games saga. I enjoyed the quick pace and engaging characters. I am very curious as to what will happen next!
T.
Jan 17, 2015 T. rated it it was amazing
Excellently done novella. I loved the pacing and progression of the action. Although I didn't understand why it was a tie-in to Hunger games, I attribute that to the fact I don't read the series (children killing children? Seriously, that's warped), or it could be the tie-in is created over the span of 'episodes'. Well done character development, especially for such a short story. Good job!
Maria
Oct 17, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
This story is great, full of action that makes you want to know what happens next. I love an action yarn. The writing is good. Well done! The story also makes you ask yourself the question what you would do in a similar situation.
Terry Lee
Nov 16, 2014 Terry Lee rated it it was amazing
I had no idea this was a short story. I just knew I was flying through the pages, thinking what superb writing and then...the story ended. SO glad there are 3 more parts. Great character development by Ms. Gelsheimer and just enough mystery with the young boy to keep me wondering...
Dee brown
Jul 08, 2016 Dee brown rated it it was amazing
I loved these "episodes ". They only take 30 to 60 minutes to read each episode. This is the start of the districts. From the very beginning.
Karl Hoffmann
Karl Hoffmann rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Patrick James Carroll
Patrick James Carroll rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2016
Beneath The Covers
Mar 09, 2016 Beneath The Covers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lisa
Full review can be found HERE --> https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

~Lisa
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Katrina Elizabeth
Katrina Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Sep 13, 2016
Flurbert
Flurbert rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Tonya Tack
Tonya Tack rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Faby Picasso
Faby Picasso rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Kathleen Hill
Kathleen Hill rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Paul Sais
Paul Sais rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Brooke Proctor
Brooke Proctor rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Ginger Gelsheimer (1973-) became part of the surf & ski writing team in 2009, when the Aurora Conspiracy franchise came to life over a great bottle of vino. What if he lived? And Aurelius was born.

With writing partner Christina Keats, she took a leap of faith and embarked on her own adventure of a lifetime with the Aurora Conspiracy trilogy, kicking her corporate job to the curb. Together, thi
More about Ginger Gelsheimer...

The Dark Days (3 books)
  • The Dark Days - Dorian Lennox (#2)
  • The Dark Days - The Others (#3)

“Aiming for the stars...there's so much to see out here, I haven't gotten there yet. I'm happy!” 1 likes