Start by marking “A moi pour toujours” as Want to Read:
A moi pour toujours

A moi pour toujours

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"A moi pour toujours" : tel est le billet anonyme que trouve Sherry Seymour dans son casier de professeur à l'université un jour de Saint-Valentin. Elle est d'abord flattée par un message qui tombe à point nommé dans sa vie routinière : son couple fatigué, son père malade et son fils unique de plus en plus distant. Mais cet admirateur secret obsède Sherry. Une situation d' ...more
Published April 12th 2007 by Christian Bourgois (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A moi pour toujours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A moi pour toujours

Eastofoz
Erin
What makes this book brilliant is that it is the most honest portrayal of how a woman thinks...while the chick lit market is flooded with feel good books about women's friendships, any woman will admit to herself that women are jealous, catty bitches who see each other as competition...this book blends those thoughts realistically with the angst of aging, the dwindling of passion in a long term relationship and the desire to be young again while being aware of the youth all around you.

Middle ag
Kristen
I am torn between three or four stars, because I stayed up to 1 am to finish reading the book and now I am bit cranky. Wonderful writing. Thought provoking, in fact there is a part in the story where Sherry, the main character, talked about how she was disturbed for the rest of the weekend after watching a DVD about a woman killing her children - well, that is how this book was for me(Not that Sherry kills her children or anything). I couldn't sleep. Laura Kasischke has created characters that I ...more
Vanessa
Just finished reading "Be Mine," a novel by Laura Kasischke. It's the second novel I've read by this author in as many weeks (the first one was "Mind of Winter;" more on that one in a later post.) Where do I begin?

The main character of "Be Mine," Sherry Seymour (great name, that, kind of like the sweetness of cooking sherry mixed with a supermodel-y sounding last name), opens the story with her musings on a variety of things that I could identify with as a middle-aged mom with one child who's st
Alexandra
I am on a Laura Kasischke kick and I am not ashamed. Normally when I read a book that I thoroughly enjoy, for some strange reason I don't really seek out too many other books by that same author because more often than not, i'm disappointed that the second book is not as good as the first one I read but with this author, I just. Cannot. Stop. She is really a wonderful writer and even though sometimes, as with Be Mine, I am not happy with the ending, it doesn't change the fact that Laura Kasischk ...more
Rachel
I had a love/ hate relationship with this book. Often times it was beautifully written, relatable and wonderful. Other times it was boring, slow and terrible.

I loved the authors previous work, so I tried this one. I was really annoyed with the amount of typos - it seems petty, but it was distracting and I expect more from a prolific author.

Overall, not worth the time.
Shannon
Be Mine by Laura Kasischke
Harvest, Orlando
2007

Be Mine by Laura Kasischke is a story about Sherry Seymour: a middle-aged English professor, a wife of twenty years and a mother-turned-empty nester. Sherry is content in her average, middle-aged life. But this is not an average, middle-age story. On Valentine’s Day, Sherry finds a note in her inbox scrawled with the words, “Be mine.” The idea of a secret admirer titillates Sherry’s imagination, and her husband’s loins. Excited by the idea of his wif
M
I may be in the minority here (since when did that ever stop me) but I really liked this... I can see why others might have struggled: the protagonist is not terribly likeable (she harps on about aging, how toned her body is and how she doesn't really like anyone - to name but a few). No one seems to like anyone else very much. There are a lot of unnecessary exclamation marks (in sentences like this!). And there are a lot of dead animals. And a lot of mouths being on breasts.

But, I liked it. I l
Nicki

Really good. Quite a disturbing little story about a middle aged woman in a dull marriage and what happens when attempts to spice things up go badly wrong.
I actually felt sorry for Sherry more than anything else. I think she was manipulated and mislead through most of this, and though she behaved badly, i can't honestly say I could blame her. The husband needed a boot up the bum, seriously, won't say anymore, but what was wrong with the man. What did he expect?!
As for Bram - a creep. Sherry's
Jessica
Dec 21, 2009 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Jessica by: nobody
So, first off I have to say that I did not finish this book and I'm not saying it is a bad book. It's just that this book was such a downer and depressing that after 30 pages I had to stop because it seemed to be less a valentines romance and much more of a lament about this woman's life.

The writing style was nice and fluid and if the character's life wasn't one death or disappointment after another I probably would have liked it or at least finished it.

For me, it is a huge insult to a book if
Izzy Holmes
This is a story about a married woman whose son has left for college and has mysterious notes left for her at work. She tries to work out her the man is and starts a relationship with someone she works with. Her affair is discovered and this spins her world out of control.

tried reading this book in 2007 and gave up but began it again as it fitted one the of the reading challenges I was doing and found that this time I read it in a day.

If you are offended by sex scenes this is not the book for
Sarra
It wasn't erotic, and it wasn't much of a thriller (despite being billed as both). Nobody in this book is even remotely likeable...or, really, particularly believable. I didn't understand why any of them were doing what they were doing; at no point in the book were any of the characters' actions sensical. I didn't find the end implausible so much as frustrating. Why two stars, then? It was oddly compelling - I really wanted to know where the story would go; I was compelled to keep reading until ...more
Trish
I picked up this read because the of the title and the cover and the summary on the inside of the jacket. Sounded like a tale of a married woman swayed by a secret admirer. Well, that is how it appears but the actually tale is quite sordid and rather dark in spots. Really is not the light and airy read I was expecting. I rated it with two stars because of the troubling spots and that I dont think I really, truly 'liked' any character introduced. Everyone was a jerk in their own way.
Doris
Kiersnerr Gerwin
The stroy was nice. It made me realize the things middle aged people face. The narration was written very well. I was not expecting it to end that way though. The first two parts were really cool. The last one was ok. Overall, I recommend this book for those who, like me, unaware of this thing they call "midlife crisis". You'll learn a lot.

PS.
The erotic scenes were surprisingly exciting. :) Good job to the author.
Maddi
While I admit that the book started out a little slow to me... as I kept wondering why the affair hadn't started yet...I appreciated the delay add the author set up a background that would be more understood as the plot thickened. By the 3rd section I was on the edge of my seat knowing that something twisted was about to happen and wondering what it could be and I was shocked multiple times.
Monica
I agree with reviewer Kym, the first two parts of this book are exquisite and the third part was like it was from a different book. So three to four stars for the first two parts and two stars for the third. Shame. It was so beautifully written to start and so intense and then so disappointing. ah wells, on to my next read, something light me thinks. peace.
Stephanie
I guess I didn't really read this, but I skimmed the book to get all the main events. As a short story, maybe this would have been more intriguing, and less icky. But the book made me so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep last night.
Jennifer  Carney
Great writing, but a little too predictable. I did not care for the main character. Or really any of the characters.
Lindsay
Lots of twists in this book.The ending had me a bit confused and was a bit silly,but overall it wasn't too bad.
Christy
This book sucked so badly that I'm not going to waste my time saying anything else.
Casey
I thought the ending was pretty abrupt...but the writing was really beautiful.
Rachel
Deanna
That was CRAZY!!! Not at all what I expected.
I liked the book, but didn't love it. The best friend made me angry, the son was a jerk, the husband, I am still wondering about. That saying about assumptions was proven here, the whole novel was about the assumptions of each character.
Kimberly
Ben
An interesting perspective: the decline of a marriage, the crisis about one's identity, and how life might go on after this. The writing is functional if not inclined towards a degree of literary pretension that Kasischke doesn't quite pull off. It really wasn't a thriller, as I was lead to believe it would be.
Theresa
Not crazy about this book. Did not see how the husband and wife could have misunderstood each other so, also some of the characters' behaviors didn't make any sense.....
Suzanne
I am so glad I finished this book.. I hated most of the characters but I plowed through it because I hate to give up on a book. I would never recommend it to anyone.
Nanaroni2949
It was a struggle to finish this book. Weird on so many levels. Not what I was expecting at all and nothing that I would consider to be erotica
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
  • Zomerhitte
  • De gelukkige klas
  • Burial
  • Jesus Saves
  • The Bridesmaid
  • Knielen op een bed violen
  • The Magician's Tale
  • Le Grand Cœur
  • Endangered Species (Angel: Season 3, #5)
  • A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Harlequin Desire, No 658)
  • Force Of Nature (Braddock-Black, #5)
  • The Passion of Alice
  • The Sandy Bottom Orchestra
  • Ouragan
119814
Laura Kasischke (born 1961) is an American fiction writer and American poet with poetry awards and multiple well reviewed works of fiction. Her work has received the Juniper Prize, the Alice Fay di Castagnola Award from the Poetry Society of America, the Pushcart Prize, the Elmer Holmes Bobst Award for Emerging Writers, and the Beatrice Hawley Award. She is the recipient of two fellowships from th ...more
More about Laura Kasischke...
The Raising In a Perfect World Mind of Winter The Life Before Her Eyes White Bird in a Blizzard