Start by marking “Rose by Any Other Name” as Want to Read:
Rose by Any Other Name
Preview

Rose by Any Other Name

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Don'tcha just hate the way you get caught up in stuff without really wanting to? Then it goes a bit further, and suddenly you're one of those jerks you hate because . . . you can't be trusted.ROSE WANTS NOTHING MORE THAN TO GET AWAY. Last year she'd had it all: pre-law in the fall, a budding romance, and her best friend, Zoe. Now Zoe will never forgive her, her family is c ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rose by Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose by Any Other Name

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonPaper Towns by John GreenAn Abundance of Katherines by John GreenTwo-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
YA Roadtrip Fiction
19th out of 46 books — 79 voters
Liquid Comfort - A Surf Story by Cheryl Lee PetroChasing Forever Down by Nikki GodwinRough Waters by Nikki GodwinWish by Joseph MonningerMaking Waves by Ophelia London
Fictional Books Containing Surfing
29th out of 30 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessi
This is a 3.5 to 4 star. Aussie YA fiction about a nineteen your old girl named Rose who has had a shit year,has just cut off all her hair and is now embarking on a road trip with her mother to see her dying grandmother one last time. I was down with most of Rose's reactions except the cutting off of the the hair, NEVER THE HAIR.

What if your neck is actually really fat?

Have you considered head shape?

Your ears could stick out!

What if it grows back funny?

Photobucket

I am not picking on Brit Brit,I love Br
Trish Doller
Another excellent Australian author, another excellent voice. I want whatever it is those Aussies are drinking.

Mands
Rose by Any Other Name by Maureen McCarthy starts off in Melbourne and then travels along the coast of Victoria to Port Fairy. Rose O'Neil is 19 years old and moved out of home a year ago. Her Gran is dying and has asked to see her so she's planned a road trip only her mum wants to come along. She reluctantly agrees and they set off for Port Fairy.

The book is told from Rose's point of view as well as through flashbacks to the previous summer when she and Zoe were still best friends, when she met
Emily
Dec 13, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Female
I wasn’t sure hundred percent sure whether I would like this book to start with but after I read the first page I loved it. I loved the may Maureen slowly gave us about the protagonist and the circumstances she had been through and was under.

It drags you into the characters way of thinking gently, while giving you just enough information you need to love it without giving out to much. I thought the Protagonist named Rose was a very good character that grows on you with every word you read of thi
Avrille
Honestly, I was slightly disappointed with the novel - it would have to be one of McCarthy's weaker books plot wise. The entire novel's context was teen angst expressed through a self-destructive path of self-ostracisation, self-blame, and anti-social habits towards family & friends. Rose, as a character, lacked depth. Therefore, when it came to the crunch of resolving her issues there was little sympathy on my behalf. Rose's narrative irked me, and the story was somewhat stagnant due to the ...more
Mrs Mac McKenzie
I really enjoyed reading this book - being written by Maureen McCarthy, one of my very favourite authors, it was always going to be enjoyable. I love reading about lives and events that change characters feelings outlook and themselves, the events being not too dramatic - just everyday events, and McCarthy is an expert at showing us through her characters that we are constantly evolving with everything and everyone we connect with in our ordinary lives.
 Soph - Lock&Key
I enjoyed this book very much.

It amazes me how easily the author of this book can cut into your emotions and make you addicted to the book. Rose by any other name touched me and taught me lifelong lessons just like her other amazing book somebody’s crying .

The Sydney morning Herald said that this book was “Raw and real and utterly compelling” I agree 100% Maureen McCarthy has a way of getting through to a reader and making them empathise with her characters even though they despise them. For ins
kit
The cover of this book shouted two things at me: ROAD TRIP! and SURFING! (Quietly, of course, because we were in a library at the time.) Two things I am a big fan of in books. And Allen & Unwin, the Australian publisher, put out a lot of good stuff, including some really good young adult novels I've read in the last year. I was sold.

About ten pages in, I wondered if I'd made a mistake in picking this up, and this is why: Rose. Rose is perhaps the most aggravating, frustrating, bad-attitude-l
Kelly
Sep 19, 2008 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mature high school readers
Shelves: young-adult
Rose was on top of her game last year, with the best test scores in her class, a supportive family, a solid best friend and a budding romance. One year later, she’s traded law school for a low-paying job, ruined her relationships, and is living in an anonymous flat. When her mother unexpectedly joins her on a road trip, Rose is forced to confront the changes that have eroded her once-comfortable life. Alternating chapters between present day and the previous summer allow author Maureen McCarthy ...more
Watermelon Daisy
Rose By Any Other Name is a story I won’t forget.

Maybe it’s the whole quirkiness with a girl getting involved with her best friend’s father, but there’s something really creepy and addictive about this book. I love the main character. She has a good head on her shoulders, and I also love how she shaved all her hair off –it just adds that sassy character into her.

There isn’t much to say. Also, it’s one of the best divorce books I’ve read, because it portrays the aspect of affairs/divorce quite ac
Beth
Oct 20, 2008 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beth by: Association of Children's Librarians
Reading for consideration for Association of Children's Librarians of Northern California's Distinguished booklist. My final assessment is that while the book has high additional value for a library collection, it is not worthy of "outstanding" status, for the several reasons. McCarthy has attempted to draw too many charachters, and there are too many extra plotlines that could have been cut back. The story itself is compelling-a young woman in Australia with an outstanding student achivement re ...more
Muphyn
Mar 04, 2011 Muphyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Infinite Playlist, Sally
Wavering between 3 and 4 stars, probably tending towards 4 more than 3. :)

Loved, loved, loved the setting - Melbourne and country Victoria, mostly Great Ocean Road and Apollo Bay. It's awesome to be reading something where you know the setting so well.

It's a tender, touching story of somewhat prickly Rose and two summers. The first one with events that shape the rest of the year, and the second one where she's trying to face what's happened. Found it really easy to relate to her (even though I d
Charisse
loved it.
loved it the way i loved wally lamb's "she's come undone".
if i was still in my 20s this would've been 5 stars, so i must've mellowed by now, and have learned that as important as privacy and independence was to me, that it was selfish and pushes family way. life lessons, right?
Katie
I found myself identifying with a lot of Rose's problems, (view spoiler) which caused me to find the first half of the book a bit distressing. I figured the resolution would resonate with me in a similar way so I hung on through the depressing part. The conclusion did have me feeling better, and I'm glad I finished the book so I wasn't just left with the awful feeling. I didn't find it as cathartic as I had hoped though. The mess ...more
Tammy
Rose by Any Other Name is a compelling book of secret pasts. Rose is planning a road trip to say goodbye to her dying Grandmother. She has it all planned out, first she’ll do some surfing, and then try out some cool café’s. But when Rose’s mother comes along on the trip, her plans change, and suddenly she is forced to face her past and try to pace the bits back together of her broken family, her broken friendships, and most of all, her broken heart. Can Rose move on from these dark secrets? Or w ...more
Meeeriams Fleep
This was such a weird and depressing story I stopped halfway through but had to force myself to read the rest. I doubt I could reccomend it to anyone, because all the events forteshadow each other, and it just hangs a depressing curtain on the 'last summer' reflections, beacuse you know that all the good things that happen then are sure to end, given Rose's current state of total depression and oblivion. Honesty?
I hated this book. One of the worst I have ever read, and I skipped whole sections,
Rachel Lightwood
Nov 08, 2014 Rachel Lightwood rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older teens struggling with everything and need someone to relate to.
Don'tcha just hate... when you don't know how to rate a book. Should it be by the quality of the writing or your emotional response to it?

Because I didn't like this book. The characters were all bloody annoying and I was bored and often confused. Then again, McCarthy's writing is just plain old brilliant. She is an amazingly talented writer and I don't want to lower my rating only because of me.

Review to come, once I figured out how I am going to go about this review.
Katrina
Feb 10, 2009 Katrina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens transitioning in to adulthood or going through a divorce
Shelves: fiction, teen
My final assessment is that this book is not worthy of "outstanding" status, for the several reasons. McCarthy has attempted to draw too many charachters, and there are too many extra plotlines that could have been cut back. I think teens would struggle over the Aussie slang. A solid choice for young adults who may be trying to process the transition to adulthood, and the sometimes impulsive choices they may make along the way. Overall good story idea but poorly executed.
Melissa
It was an ok read, took me a while to get into it.

I really liked the setting, I went to Melbourne and did the Great Ocean Road almost a year ago so it was fun to picture all the beaches etc.

I wasn't that keen on Rose in the beginning, but she grew on me and I appreciated her character even if I still don't really 'like' her.
Quite liked her Mother.

It was a ok road trip and self discovery story if a bit dated.
MJ
YA Australia Fiction
Alternating chapters between last year and this, 18-year old Rose tells how she got into trouble and how she eventually works her way out of it. It sort of started when her father left his family of a wife and 4 daughters for another woman. Rose is smart, thinking, and thoughtful and her outlook is a pleasure to listen to.
Kate
I enjoyed this book very much. I tend to actually become the character that is in the book and in this particular book the transition from myself to the character was rather easy and enjoyable :)
Overall, this book is about a girl's journey to find herself and although it was a bit of a shocker (some weird moments) it was also rather fantastic!
Dee-Ann
I did, I really got hooked in this story, but the only thing stopping me from giving it 5 stars at the end, was that I needed to kow more of what happened ... how was Zoe, was rose going to go to Uni? ehat about the colection, the boy and the mother. It felt like a short story or an exerpt from a complete story.
Lily
I love Maureen McCarthy's books so much!!! This is the second one I've read and it was so good! It was also really good that I didn't figure out the plot twist before it was revealed. My only complaint is that the cover design, especially the girl didn't fit Rose AT ALL!!!
Claire Frank
I wouldn't say this was a terrible book because it wasn't. This book had a good plot. McCarthy is a good author in the sense that she is able to translate the feelings of Rose onto paper well. However, the series of events felt unrealistic and left me puzzled in many areas.
Linnae
The unique premise grabbed my attention--what other YA book consists of the teen going on a road trip with her mother, and it's a positive event? However, it was just too slow to get going. Perhaps this is why other authors have steered clear of this particular plot idea.
Emma Louise
Follows a young girl, Rose, on her roadtrip along the Victorian Coast, revisiting her past and old memories. A lovely book, but with a sort of empty ending. I love Maureen McCarthy's work though, her stories are so real and truthful.
paige d
Literally nothing happens in this book! The characters are annoying, the main character is so annoying and unrelatable. Really didn't like this book, honestly, I didn't want to finish it but I managed to.
Not a fan at all.
Ralph Hampson
Heard the author talk about this book - really enjoyed it - young woman finding herself in her early 20s and the drama and secrets that impact on all families - from her perspective. GOod read.
Karin
Nov 02, 2008 Karin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karin by: couple of starred reviews
19 yo Aussie teen takes road trip with mom to visit dying grandmother and flashes back to traumatic events of previous summer when many things in her life changed. Good, thoughtful, funny read.
Paula
The main character and narrator, Rose, had a wonderfully strong voice. Lots of great family conflict - would love to see another book to find out what happens to everyone.
  • Everything Beautiful
  • The First Third
  • Will
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Darkwater
Maureen McCarthy, the ninth of ten children, was born in 1953 in country Victoria. She has worked as a teacher in Victorian secondary schools and has written scripts for television and educational films. Her film credits include 'Skipping Class', he award-winning documentary, 'Eating Your Heart Out', and the SBS mini-series, 'In Between', which was later adapted inot four novels by Maureen. Her la ...more
More about Maureen McCarthy...
Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life The Convent Chain of Hearts When You Wake and Find Me Gone Somebody's Crying

“Things are never over even when they're over. ” 4 likes