Start by marking “Alternate Beauty” as Want to Read:
Alternate Beauty

Alternate Beauty

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
She couldn’t change the way the world looked at her, so she changed the world.…

Ronnie Tremayne is a big girl with big dreams: she wants to be a fashion designer. But as her model-thin mother never fails to remind her, in fashion, image is everything—and Ronnie is a size 28. When she learns that her job managing a plus-size boutique is in jeopardy because her weight is “dis
Published July 26th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Alternate Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alternate Beauty

Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingPerfection by R.L. MathewsonYou Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra ManningGood in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
Plus-sized Heroines
64th out of 214 books — 285 voters
Jemima J by Jane GreenSomething Real by J.J. MurrayGood in Bed by Jennifer WeinerThe Hottie and the Fatty by Segunda L.The Strange History of Suzanne LaFleshe by Susan Koppelman
Fat Fiction of All Genres
19th out of 21 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Arminzerella
The tagline here is “What if you woke up in a world where big is beautiful?” Ok, interesting idea, and Veronica “Ronnie” Tremayne is just that lucky. She goes to sleep one night on the verge of losing her job at a clothing shop for larger women because she’s too big, to waking up in a world where she’s a total sex object. It’s weird and it takes her about, oh about a week, to get used to it, but then she completely loves it. What it does allow her to do is get really comfortable with who she is, ...more
Lora
Jun 09, 2009 Lora rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am very torn about the body image messages in this book. The basic premise is that a fat woman wakes up in a world in which being fat and increasing in size is a beauty goal. So suddenly she's fabulous, everyone wants her, she's successful and having sex all the time. All the while, though, she finds food less and less attractive. Whereas she had been fat because she was an emotional eater, now that she has everything she wants, she's stopped eating and becoming thinner.

This causes a strange s
Jamila
Jun 16, 2010 Jamila rated it did not like it
Shelves: waste-of-time
This was the WORST book I have ever read and I’ve read some pretty crappy Sylvia Brown books but this book takes the cake. I ASSUMED Alternate Beauty, with its marketing blurbs about having a message for women of any size, would be inspirational and uplifting. I was sadly mistaken as the book was a train wreck that I can’t believe I bothered to read in its entirety.

It was cheesy, clichéd, poorly written, melodramatic, uninteresting and ridiculous. Every character was unlikable and there was even
Kim
Oct 09, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Alexandra
Sep 20, 2007 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Ever had a day where you didn't exactly feel comfortable with how you looked? Who hasn't? This book does a fabulous job with reminding us ladies about what REALLY matters... It's a little self-help, a little romance, a little fashion, a little bit of a chick-book, is set in beautiful and trendy Seattle, and it even has a somewhat surprising ending.
Brittany
Jan 18, 2015 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Alternate Beauty was very frustrating to read. On one hand, it has such a vital message: beauty is a social construct. In our current society, thin is considered beautiful and good, but in actuality weight does not affect a person's worth. It is messed up that our society equates weight with worth.

However, I feel like this book does not express this message in the best way. The characters are one-dimensional and pretty annoying. I wanted to punch Ronnie multiple times. She spends most of the boo
Lori Mason
Mar 02, 2008 Lori Mason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, z2005
What if .... BIG was most beautiful?
Jennifer Wardrip
Apr 29, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
What is reality? Is it a tangible thing, the people, places, and things that are around us? Or is reality whatever we make it to be? I've always prescribed to the second theory, that you could change your reality by changing the way you look at life. What about an alternate reality? Is that simply other people looking at the world through different colored glasses, or an actual plain of existence different from the one we currently reside on? By reading the story of Veronica "Ronnie" Tremayne, t ...more
Amber
Mar 30, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. The premise was very interesting, about a girl who wakes up in a world where big is beautiful, and people are on diets to gain weight, and dealing with her "sudden" beauty based on her size. Of course, she still has all her "thin-world" hangups but as she starts to worry lessa bout how she is perceived she starts to lose weight and blah, blah blah.
It's worth a read if you don't have anything else to do, and the idea is very interesting, but I w
Dianar
Apr 21, 2014 Dianar rated it it was amazing
Great story
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
It was a really interesting concept and I had a hard time at times wrapping my head around it because it's the opposite of all we know. It was quite funny to see skinny women put down and to read about all the ways women were trying to gain weight. I'd recommend it!
Aug 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it did not like it
This wasn't my typical type of read. I just couldn't find the desire to read on. I found it a little to cliche and as you all say "chick lit" for me. If anyone reads it I would be interested to hear how it turned out.
Melanie Stone
May 27, 2013 Melanie Stone rated it it was amazing
This is a refreshing story about a world where being large is considered the most beautiful way to be. I love reading about this world! Interesting plot development and character changes too. I want more books like this!
Sharon
Feb 07, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, fantasy
I had major problems with the premise of this book: A fat girl finds herself in a world where fat is beautiful. That would be fine in and of itself, but the plot resolution is seriously flawed.
Phee Sunantarod
Sep 08, 2012 Phee Sunantarod rated it it was ok
I picked the book because I'm a not so small size of girl like Ronnie but, I'm sorry, I was disappointed. The plot seemed interesting but I found it boring. Life is not that depressed!!
Jeannette
Jun 23, 2009 Jeannette rated it liked it
This book was quite interesting. It was unique in the fact that the world this lady lived in was ooposite of ours. Where fat was beautiful and thin was not in.
Marlo
Jan 19, 2008 Marlo rated it really liked it
Ronnie wakes up in an alternate universe where fat being fat is beautiful. A great book about the pursuit of perfection and where happiness truly lies - within.
Wendy
Dec 29, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
Being a big girl myself - I really enjoyed this book. What if big really was beautiful?
Holly
Oct 04, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Great for book clubs.
Ellen
Jun 17, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
I loved the book though was a little disappointed how it ended. The important part was the message of self acceptance.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
May 14, 2016
Carrie Stine
Carrie Stine marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • Zia Summer
  • Mr. Jefferson's Women
  • Manstealing for Fat Girls
  • Unreal Estate: Money, Ambition, and the Lust for Land in Los Angeles
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • Tales from the Scale: Women Weigh in on Thunder Thighs, Cheese Fries, and Feeling Good...at Any Size
  • American Idle