Anastasia at Your Service

Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,699 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Twelve-year-old Anastasia has a series of disastrous experiences when, expecting to get a job as a lady's companion, she is hired to be a maid.
Published October 25th 1982 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

Jen
I remember LOVING this book as a middle schooler in the 80s, and googled it to see if I'd still like it as a 40 something. I gasped when I saw that Lois Lowry wrote it, and immediately purchased it to re-read.

And it made me love not just Lowry even more, but my young self for loving this book. Page one has our heroine Anastasia so bored/depressed that she's re-enacting death scenes from literature (Romeo and Juliet, Little Women, Charlotte's Web) - sweet! It's also the first time a joke in a boo...more
Jenne
Jun 18, 2011 Jenne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jf
I forgot how funny this was!
Endah
Aku suka banget serial Anastasia Krupnik ini. Gaya bertutur Lois Lowry serta tema cerita yang realis benar-benar sesuai dengan selera bacaanku. Ya, ini memang buku cerita remaja, tetapi kurasa ini sebuah buku yang keren yang akan membuatku ketagihan membacanya. Buktinya aku terus mengikutinya sampai judul ketiga terjemahan Indonesianya. Seluruhnya, serial ini terdiri dari 9 judul. Aku sih berharap betul semua judul tersebut diterbitkan di sini.

Keluarga Krupnik, menurutku, adalah model keluarga m...more
Rahmadiyanti
Libur sekolah yang masih panjang. Uang saku yang pas-pasan (bahkan kurang). Bosan melanda. Apa yang harus Anastasia lakukan? Gadis unik dan cerdik anak Pak Krupnik ini punya ide menarik untuk menambah uang sakunya: menjadi pendamping. Pendamping? Iya, maunya sih Anastasia menjadi pendamping wanita kaya berusia lanjut. Di mana tugasnya hanya membacakan buku, menyediakan teh, menemani berjalan-jalan….

Saat seorang wanita tua kaya raya bernama Ferris Bellingham merespon iklan yang Anastasia sebarkan...more
george
Anastasia at Your Service picks up right where the last one left off. The summer is endlessly boring now that her only friend has gone off to camp. And Anastasia's poverty-stricken. She decides that she will become a Lady's Companion to a rich old lady. She gets a job immediately, but there's a mix-up--she's working as a *maid*!!! And her new employer has a granddaughter Anastasia's age; so now a possilbe friend will only know her as a lowly maid. Anastasia's problems are never-ending, it seems....more
Jenny Perron
I was laughing on the very first page. A fan of the Giver series, I decided to read some of Lois Lowry’s other works. I thought it was pretty good. I found the beginning and end of the book a lot more enjoyable than the middle.

I would recommend this to tweeny girls looking for a good laugh, especially those who are a little more into reading, as I felt that some of the allusions, content, and diction were a bit more advanced.

Drugs/Alcohol: Smoking, mention of drugs, adults drinking.
Language: No....more
Jin
Anatasia wanted to go to camp with her best friend during the summer. But she couldn't and she found out that there was job for her that would keep her busy for the summer. She didn't know that the job was being a maid! She did something wrong and that she has to pay for it. Will she have the bad luck for the rest of the summer? Read it and find out!

The book reminded me of i have kind of have a job in a summer and that i kind of got paid. But, i mostly spent my summers in school. so i hope this
Zack

July 22nd
H——————, N.C.

Dear Ms. Lowry,

I simply can't get over how consistently funny and good your Anastasia series is. The "bockle" woes and the rebellious minister's kid were great, but I especially liked the trip to the North End and the exploration of the father's working-class roots. Thanks for these books, which continue to deliver laugh-out-loud moments even for this grown-up reader.

Yours in awe,

~ Zack
Michelle
Oh, Anastasia, the situations you get in are so crazy. In this book, Anastasia decides to make money by becoming a Lady's Companion, which yeah, sounds pretty good to me, but she ends up just being a maid. With her new friend Daphne, she nearly completely wrecks her employer's fancy party in only a way that a 12-year-old overly imaginative child can. Again, Lowry hits all the right notes--funny, sweet, and even one part so sad that I nearly cried (everything turned out okay, though, no worries)....more
Carol Hardesty
This book has a lot of memorable characters (like the rebellious chick Anastasia ends up befriending) and parts (like when Anastasia learns about her Czech roots). It's also very relatable but still manages to entertain, like the best realistic fiction should. I think Lois Lowry deserves to be alongside Beverly Cleary, Paula Danzinger, and Judy Blume as one of the first-rate authors of children's realistic fiction.
Tamia Webb
I really love this book because she has her ups and down in this book but now it is summer time and she is SO bored she has nothing to do so she doesnt have no friends to play with because her friend has to go to camp.Anastasia needs something to do so she ask old bellingham to do ladys companion she said yes.Anastasia want to go camping with her best friend but she couldnt so she just founded a job for herself.
Emily
Anastasia is back with another hilarious caper. This time she decides to get a job as a "companion to a wealthy, elderly woman." Instead, she is hired as a maid. Hi-jinks ensue.
Anastasia continues to be a very realistic character, surrounded by wacky secondary characters, getting into odd situations, but learning lessons very common to pre-teens. Recommended. (
Jessica
My favorite of the series, in which she applies to be a companion to a rich old lady, and ends up scrubbing the silver. When she tries to "age" herself, to avoid running into her employer's granddaughter (the cool new girl at her school) by stuffing a DD-cup bra and putting flour in her hair, I laugh until I cry every time!
Sonya Huser
I laughed out loud when Anastasia tried to disguise herself as a middle-aged woman at her employer's grandaughter's birthday party so she would not be embarrassed in front of a potential classmate. Anastasia's parents are fantastic. I want to be like them someday!
Jose Cruz
I LIKE THE WAY SHE MADE A BETT AND STUCK TO IT.NEVER DENYING THAT SHE EVEN MADE THE BET THAT WAS HONORABLE. SHE IS GROWING MORE MATURE WITH EVERY NEW MOVE SHE MAKES TO MAKE EVERYTHING RIGHT AGAIN !!!!!
Sandy
I liked the story line and of course I liked Anastasia and her family's humor but I really didn't like Daphne.I just didn't see her as Anastasia's friend but overall it was ok.
Thushanthi
This has to be the 20th time I'm reading this book. The Anastasia series is amazing- witty, and captures childhood innocence and family values perfectly. So comforting to read :-)
Noora
Tämäkin hyvä Anastasia-kirja ja on myös hyvä, että päähenkilö kehittyy, eikä jää ikuiseksi kymmenvuotiaaksi. Nämä myöhemmät kirjat ovat ehkä vielä parempia kuin pari ensimmäistä.
Fiah
My childhood's book~

I liked it a lot but I don't really much remember how the story goes but I truly like the character: Anastasia.
Alexandria
In this book, Anastasia Krupnik gets turned into a maid for Mrs. Bellingham and she also meets a new friend named Daphne.
Inoli
My third Anastasia. I have a good idea of what they're like now but I doubt I'm going to quit the series. These are quite good.
Isaiah
I don't really remember what I learned from this whole series because I haven't read them since I was in the eigth grade.
Kate
The one where she meets Daphne while working for Daphne's rich grandmother, and where Sam falls out of the window.
Ugik Madyo
Saya sangat suka dengan logika bertutur penulis yang menggunakan logika anak-anak.
Missy
I LOVE these books, they're well-written, funny, and there are many in the series
Arlene Allen
Sometimes these were laugh out loud funny - I'll never forget the goldfish funeral.
Erin
Another fun entry in this series. Anastasia is a very easy heroine to enjoy.
Yudith Fabiola
baca terjemahannya juga. anastasia krupnik petaka di dua pesta
Melody
Not so clear and tender as the first two, but still warm and sweet.
  • Ellen Tebbits (Ellen & Otis, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Cybil War
  • Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth
  • The Pistachio Prescription
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • Don't Care High
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always...more
More about Lois Lowry...
The Giver (The Giver #1) Number the Stars Gathering Blue (The Giver #2) Messenger (The Giver #3) Son (The Giver #4)