Gil's All Fright Diner

Gil's All Fright Diner

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,822 ratings  ·  567 reviews
Bloodier than Fried Green Tomatoes!
Funnier than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

Welcome to Gil's All Night Diner, where zombie attacks are a regular occurrence and you never know what might be lurking in the freezer. . . .

Duke and Earl are just passing through Rockwood county in their pick-up truck when they stop at the diner for a quick bite to eat. They aren't planning to s
Published June 27th 2006 by Tor Books (first published May 1st 2005)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
118th out of 2,124 books — 3,212 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
73rd out of 505 books — 782 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Mar 26, 2012 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of irreverent UF
Fast, fun read. Solid four stars for cleverness and silliness--the book blurb was right, this was silly in the style of Hitchhiker's Guide, and that's a high compliment indeed.

It starts off like a buddy movie of the anti-hero variety, with Earl the vampire and Duke the werewolf driving around drinking beer in a beat-up pickup whose cab holds exactly 76 empties. They stop at an all-night diner run by Loretta, but little does anyone know, the diner is under assault by the most fearsome of opponent...more
Chloe
Jan 09, 2009 Chloe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chloe by: Lori Hettler
I'll be the first to admit that there's been a glut of books like this on my reading list lately. Humorous takes on horror archetypes seem to be all the rage right now, which is more than fine by me. They're quick, light and entertaining- just the break I need in between the other books that howl at me from the shelf, trying to guilt me into reading them next.

Gil's is a buddy adventure starring Earl the Vampire (think Dwight Yoakam with fangs) and Duke the Werewolf (think Jesse Ventura with fur)...more
Lori
Loved Loved Loved this book!

I am a big fan of campy fun novels. Books that make the unbelievable seem like, yeah.. ohkay... that could happen.

Meet two unlikely best friends: Earl (a vampire) and Duke (a werewolf). Throw in an all nite diner run by a very large, very spunky Lorreta. Sprinkle in a teenage wanna-be mistress of the old gods, a few ghosts, and a ton of zombies/ghouls and slimy, tentacled, oozing things, and you have yourself one helluva kick ass novel!

This was one of those books i j...more
Marvin
Melinda raised her head and uttered a low, haunting howl. The rest of the herd joined her in a bloodcurdling moan that seemed to bubble up from the sulfurous pit of Hell itself

"Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-oo."

Gotta love those zombie cows! Rockwood is sort of a Texas redneck version of Sunnydale with its own answer to the Hellmouth. Vampire Earl and werewolf Duke run out of gas in the God-forsaken county of Rockwood and offers to help Loretta, owner of Gil's All-Night Diner, solve her zombie problem. Bu...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
Jul 22, 2008 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one ever! never to kids!!!!
Recommended to Noran by: good reads
Shelves: worst-bks
The first page had most of the 7 famous words, driving while drinking, and the phrase "yellow puddle formed around my groin". I really do not think this is a youth book! The curse words got worse from there, and graphic underage sex was also included. The obese werewolf, describes the fatty woman's butt. as it jiggles--like the last time he disemboweled someone--lovely. Just what we want to teach teens today to think about large people--new insults!

The only reason for a star is the lovely romanc...more
Felicia
I really liked this book. Very fluffy, but a nice tone and funny. Makes fun of the vampire/werewolf genre that has become ridiculous lately with the swoony man-chests. Would recommend to people who like Christopher Moore and other tongue in cheek fantasy adventures.
Jocardo
What a fun read!!!! This would make a HILARIOUS movie. It's silly, it's goofy and has plenty of horror and gore to go around. It's marketed as a young adult novel, don't know if I would go that far...but it was just a good time. I read it in a day. I would like to see further adventures of Duke, Earl, Cathy and Napoleon. I liked this book so much I reserved a copy of A. Lee Martinez's In The Company of Orges.
Mimi
3½ out of 5 stars

The writing is light, fast paced, and doesn't take itself or anything else seriously. It's funny at times and somewhat poignant at other times when you least expect it. The humor is not what I'd call sharp or hilarious, but it's absurd enough to carry the story through to the end and unusual enough to hold my attention.

A better review is posted at Wordpress and Booklikes.
Jeanette

THIS IS NOT A REVIEW, although the rating does reflect my opinion of this book.
This is a heads up for people following my reviews who have their filters set up to block general updates. If you've enjoyed nosing around on my shelves in the past, be sure to read my most recent update. This is the last time I'll mention it.
Now I think I'll go consume some nightcrawlers.
Misty
Will review later, but allow me to tease you with this:
ZOMBIE COWS

I had some issues with this book, but it was also one of the rare books where I felt it was sort of okay to let some things slide. Why? Because when a book is about:

zombies (human)
zombies (bovine)
teen sorceresses determined to end the world
horny teen minions
Ancient Gods
tentacled hell beasts
ghouls
graveyard guardians (ghosts)
dead terriers (ghosts)
determined mini-golfers (ghosts)
obese werewolves (main character)
balding va...more
Lisa is Busy Nerding
in a sentence or two: the funny journey of Earl the vampire, Duke the werewolf, Loretta the overweight waitress, and Cathy the ghost in their quest to rid the diner of zombies. and as if that isn't enough, a foxy teenager is trying to open the gates to hell right underneath their immortal noses.

Duke and Earl stumble upon the little diner in rockwood county (read: middle of nowhere). within minutes, they are defending the diner from zombies. the good news is, zombies aren't really that bad - just...more
The Flooze
Apr 09, 2009 The Flooze rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christopher Moore fans
Martinez's debut novel is a wild ride, at once horrific and hysterical. Despite what I've been taught, I judged this one by its cover and it lived up to my every zany expectation.

Earl, a scrawny vampire, and Duke, a hulking werewolf, stop off at a roadside diner for a bite, only to become entangled in a web of dark magic where things bite back. But zombie cows, cemetery guardians, ghostly dogs and spirits that reside in Magic 8 Balls aren't enough to deter this duo from doing their best to preve...more
Mike
This is a fun book. It's about a vampire and a werewolf that try to stop Elder Gods.
And it's a comedy!
I think it's great, there's a lot of weird stuff in it but overall it's just a fun and rather silly book that is a really good read.

OK, it's been 4 years since I wrote this review. I should probably try and expand on why it's so good.
In short it's about a vampire and werewolf that are kind of stuck traveling together that stumble upon a small town that seems to have a bit of a zombie problem. T...more
Keri
A light, fun, though ultimately rather sophomoric read. The gratuitous cursing didn't bother me, but the author's treatment of female characters did-- out of the three main women in the book, one is a creepily oversexualized, underage evil-nymphet stereotype, and another is a waitress who, though a very sympathetic character, is overweight and therefore treated as disgusting and undesirable. (Interestingly, one of the main male characters is also passingly described as very large, yet somehow th...more
harlequin {Stephanie}
Mar 19, 2013 harlequin {Stephanie} rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Classy rednecks... with a sense of literary quality. =)
Shelves: library-rentals
Beeware, folks this makes a mockery of everything. If they could redneck caviar it would get done in this book.

Thanks for the pic!

That was awkward. I feel like I should have laughed more. =/ Don't know if I would recommend it, but somehow I didn't hate it. Didn't burst out laughing at random jokes either.

Why the high rating you ask? I enjoyed the characters of Duke, Earl and the all the random zombies. It gets inventive!

Thanks for the pic!
Michael
Mar 26, 2012 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Michael by: Paul
A vampire and a werewolf walk into a diner...

and an awesome book ensues.

I heard this book was not as good as the newer ones, which I loved as well, but this one is far superior. The humor is less forced, more natural in its delivery, and the writing is damned good, especially for a debut.

This is not high art, unless you consider entertainment art. But it is a simple, good read, something that makes the commute fly by, something that you'd take on a plane and not worry about the turbulence. I'd c...more
Jensownzoo
Oh, this book was wonderful. It spoofs a lot of the werewolf/vampire/etc. cliches and themes. Earl the vampire and Duke the werewolf are traveling together and stop at a diner to get something to eat just before the place is attacked by killer zombies (again). They agree to stay and help the harried waitress/cook/owner figure out why her diner is being targeted. Hilarity ensues. I definitely will be checking out more offerings from this author!
Sandra
I'm frustrated with the stars. It's really 3 3/4. I found it highly amusing and gratifying. The characters are adorable, stoic, down to earth, average. The heroes, Earl the vampire and Duke the werewolf are hilarious. I enjoyed it a great deal. Very cute and entertaining. Duke and Earl are impossible to kill. Michelle's review is great (The Flooze). Read it.
Bridget
3.5-4 Stars. A fun read in the horromedy (horror/comedy) genre. Definitely more comedy than horror. A bit like Christopher Moore. This was the author's first novel and he did a good job building the friendship between the main protagonists who happen to be a werewolf and a vampire who help save the world from an Armageddon of unleashed old gods.
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Gil's All Fright Diner - the title makes you think WTF is this? - and that cover! I admit that is why I bought it. Come on just look at that baby - There is a huge one eyed monster coming out of that Diner! I love monsters. As soon as I saw it I was like "Oh jeezuz I have to read this!" Maybe thats just me but I'm a total cover whore and I never can tell what I'm going to be attracted to. One thing for sure this had just the right amount of playful and monster for me, and not your atypical trait...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Good lord, that was bad. But I can understand why some like it. The humour, frivolity and flippant nature of the characters towards all things supernatural just wasn't to my taste. Where were the disbelievers, those ignorant of the paranormal or the crazy fist-shaking fanatics hell-bent on ridding the world of evil doers?

Everything was designed to be quirky, to draw a laugh or a smile from the reader. From the melodramatic evil Lolita determined to take over the world any way possible, seducing...more
Karissa
I read this book because it sounded funny, and it was pretty funny. Anyone who likes corny zombie movies would like this book.

Two unlikely characters serve as the heroes of this tale. Earl (as in earl of the Vampires) and Duke (as in Duke of the Werewolves) stumble across a diner with a zombie problem on a road trip they're taking. Loretta, the diner's owner, handles the zombies without batting an eye. Unfortunately soon things take a turn for the worse and even Loretta with her shot gun needs a...more
Belinda
Ok---so after book 2 of A. Lee Martinez I am officially in love. This is actually his first book, I started with Monster which was more recent. Like Monster, Gil's All Fright Diner is a mix of horror, fantasy, and comedy. An irresistible combination if ever there was one. The story focuses on Earl, a vampire and his buddy, Duke who is a werewolf. They make a casual stop at a diner to get Duke a burger and the next thing you know, they are involved in the end of the world, a demonic priestess in...more
Calisto
Sep 02, 2011 Calisto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Shaun of the Dead
Shelves: lol-fun

Bloodier than Fried Green Tomatoes!
Funnier than The Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

What a perfect way to describe this book! This is a horromedy and a perfect fit for fans of Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness and Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

Werewolf Duke and vampire Earl stop at dive of a diner and end up in the middle of Zombie attack. Without spilling the apple pie, they take care of the little undead problem only to discover that is just the tip of the dark magic iceberg.

Zombie cows, horny teenager

Kelly  Maybedog
All my GR friends really enjoyed this but I just can't get into it. There are some funny things like turning the whole dark and dangerous and mysterious vampire and werewolf tropes on their supernatural ears. But what emerges are caricatures of a b movie action comedy. While I can picture a middle aged potbellied werewolf, a scared, whiny, sniveling, ineffectual little vampire is too much for me to buy and hell he is annoying. Other than him, so far everyone in this books is either fat (and this...more
Lori Whitwam
Unique and hilarious. AND written before (or early on in) the paranormal/urban fantasy craze. When you have a sort of redneck vampire and werewolf pair of friends, helping the owner of a remote diner in a town where the unexplained has become the norm battle a zombie problem... and then you give me zombie cows, I'm hooked. Throw in a crazy teenage black magic priestess and some ghosts (including a ghost dog) and I'm amazed.
Kathryn
My first car was a green gremlin and a character in this book drove a yellow gremlin. If I’d had any doubt about this book by that point (which I didn’t), it would have then been erased.

This is a fun read. Recommended for those who enjoy books by Christopher Moore or who need a light read between heavier material.
Meg
A little bit like a B movie in book form, this book was a lot of fun and I couldn't put it down. It has a little bit of everything, humor, horror, romance, and the apocalypse. I especially enjoyed the fresh look at occult critters including werewolves, vampires, ghost dogs, zombie cattle, and magic eight balls. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Jason
This is a very funny book. It often takes a lot to make me laugh out loud. This one made me chuckle four times.

I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but it was still well written and exciting. This deserves a movie. Steve Buscemi and Michael Clarke Duncan? Perfect!
Mel
In the words of Loretta, the diner owner, ‘Damnation!’, this was fun! Campy, wacky, hilarious with real sweet moments (cranky vampire Earl and his ghost girlfriend). A great read.
Urban Fantasy Afi...: Gil's All Fright Diner (Marked Spoilers) 8 21 May 03, 2012 06:59PM
  • Death: A Life
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Bestial
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • Jailbait Zombie (Felix Gomez, #4)
  • Pest Control
  • Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • 13 Bullets: A Vampire Tale
  • Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)
  • The Wolfman
  • The Sheriff of Yrnameer
  • The Unhandsome Prince
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!
  • Zombie, Ohio
  • Night of the Living Trekkies
  • Mogworld
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
A. Lee Martinez was born in El Paso, Texas. At the age of eighteen, for no apparent reason, he started writing novels. Thirteen short years (and a little over a dozen manuscripts) later, his first novel, Gil's All Fright Diner, was published. His hobbies include juggling, games of all sorts, and astral projecting. Also, he likes to sing along with the radio when he's in the car by himself.
More about A. Lee Martinez...
Monster Divine Misfortune In the Company of Ogres A Nameless Witch The Automatic Detective

“Reality is like a fruitcake; pretty enough to look at but with all sorts of nasty things lurking just beneath the surface.” 83 likes
“When you cross over into the weird stuff, there's no going back. Hector has a theory on it. Calls it the law of 'Anomalous Phenomena Attraction.' He explained it to me once. Didn't really pay attention, but it boils down to 'weird shit pulls in more weird shit.” 27 likes