Start by marking “A Nameless Witch” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,935 ratings  ·  285 reviews
A tale of vengeance, true love, and cannibalism.

Being born undead can have its disadvantages, such as eternal youth and flawless beauty; things most unsuitable for a witch. Hiding behind the guise of a grimy old crone, the witch is content living outside Fort Stalwart with her unlikely band of allies: a troll named Gwurm, an enchanted broom, and a demonic duck named Newt.
Published May 1st 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about A Nameless Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nameless Witch

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisCrescent Bound by Karli RushEternal Island by K.S. Haigwood
Best Books Featuring Witches
98th out of 426 books — 648 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienLallapaloosa by Rags DanielsThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanLiberty or Death by David        Cook
Heroes & Adventures
27th out of 424 books — 192 voters

More lists with this book...

Arianne "Tex" Thompson
Maybe it's just me, but the title and the cover art of A Nameless Witch (and even the blurb on the back) had me expecting something almost YA, like Kiki's Delivery Service meets Flight of Dragons or something.

Then comes the part where the witch realizes that she hungers to devour her true love's flesh.

This book gets off to a terrific start: Martinez's style is fast and fresh and fun, and his protagonist narrates with a very witchly no-nonsense pragmatism.

Where magic is concerned, it's clear t
Lee
Quick review for what really is a quick book to read.

I enjoyed the first half way more than the second half. Initially it was original and funny. In my comments I had said that if Gaimon, Pratchett and Hendee ever wrote a book, it would be like this and that is what made it fun. But in the second half, that humour got a bit old, which is why I have never been able to finish any Pratchett book I have started.

The story is about an undead witch, who has been cursed with a gorgeous body of an 18 y
Jane
If this book were a cake and I were to bake said cake, the recipe would be something like this:
- Mix 10 parts of fantastical creatures with one part of a girl becoming a woman in a fantasy world.
- Add a pinch of romance with the very best kind of a man whose chastity has to be protected at all times.
- Mix and add a pinch of forbiddenesque (not a word, I know, but it sounded kind of good) between the witch who has no name and the knight who's the best of his kind.
- Stir well and add two parts of
Paradoxical
The first word that comes to mind having read A Nameless Witch is 'charming'. Because it is. The characters are all fun in their own way, the world is quirky, and the main character--who is unnamed, because she doesn't have a name--is a pleasantly easy-going, but always mindful of how she should appear to others as a witch.

Nominally, the main plot is vengeance. In actuality, it is less about the witch's pursuit of vengeance and more about the way she goes about it, as well as the subplot of wre
Terri
Jun 26, 2009 Terri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terri by: Mr. Distortion
Shelves: 2009
A Nameless Witch is yet another of Martinez' humorous novels awash in the supernatural. The humor in this book is more quiet than his previous two and tends toward the wry.

A nameless witch is on a quest ... a quest of vengeance and, hopefully, self discovery. But mostly vengeance. She takes along her contentious familiar, a demon duck. Ok, let me say that again. A demon duck. With a bad case of blood lust. As my husband noted at dinner the other night, this duck is probably the funniest duck in
Lori
"Before I leave, I offer these three peices of advice. First, be wary of mortals. They may be small in power, but they are large in number.

Second, remember that people, human or otherwise, are, with rare exception, basically good at heart. Treat them as you would be treated, and you'll almost never go wrong.

And thirdly, and this is something you should never forget, feed a troll and you shall never be rid of it.

SO Martinez does it again - for me anyway!

Meet our nameless witch, an ageless undead
Richard
I liked this book very much - it reminded me of the movie version of The Wizard of Oz, in a good way. Most surprisingly, the little morals and lessons tucked into the story resonated with me and didn't seem forced or corny. I really wish there was a sequel (at least), but I am reasonably satisfied with the knowledge that I have found a new author with many other worlds for me to discover.
Kristy
Street Corner TBR Challenge
August pick #3
per Flannery

Well, I didn't really dislike this.... but I didn't really like it either. It was definitely different and unique, sometimes to the point of absolute weirdness.

I enjoy quest books. I do not enjoy books involving cannibalism. This had both. It was off-putting to read this witches thoughts on eating the man she was falling in love with. Yes, it was gross, but it was also sad for her. It was her curse. Throw in a talking, demon duck and a troll
Don Bradshaw
This was an easy, fun read with some real truths tucked away in the corners. The characters were unique and well fleshed out. The Nameless Witch with her curse of immortality was an amazing person who was just the opposite of what people expected in a witch. I loved her wise cracking familiar Newt. The tongue in cheek comedy kept the story light and made it an enjoyable story right up to the very end. This was not a m/m romance and while there was a hope at romance between the witch and Wyst, t ...more
"A tale if vengeance, true love, and cannibalism"

This was a wild card book that I just happened to run across in the book store that just looked interesting. I picked it up and I am so glad I did. It was a very entertaining read and I will be looking up some of this author's other books.
Matt
Apr 08, 2010 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
A light, fun read that went by faster than I would have liked. It reminded me of a fairy tale with an adult edge to it.

This was my introduction to A. Lee Martinez and I have to say that I plan on picking up more of his works soon.
Matthew
Fun read, as all of Martinez's work. The witch protagonist was very well written and her minions are hilarious.
Ladiibbug
Comic Fantasy - A Witch, Demon, Troll, White Knight and a Sorcerer

A. Lee Martinez delivers another highly original, very entertaining comic fantasy, featuring the above fantasy creatures as main characters. There are minor appearances by elves, grouchy talking roads, a talking fox, and so on.

Witch Ghastly Edna rescues and tutors a talented young witch. The young witch's adventures begin when Ghastly Edna dies. Her companions fighting bad magic and evil are 1) her familiar, a sassy talking duck,
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
Mar 25, 2013 colleen the fabulous fabulaphile rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to colleen the fabulous fabulaphile by: Jackie
Shelves: fantasy
Several reviews describe this book as quirky, and I'm certainly not going to argue there. It plays with tropes to the level of parody - a witch cursed with beauty (and a hunger for flesh), a demon in the body of a duck, a thoughtful troll, a wistful broom, and a true White Knight.

It starts out being a sort of revenge story, but it's really more a coming-of-age/romance kind of book. And there's definitely more in the way of romance than I was expecting. Not that I mind, as it's the "story book" k
Joelle
by A. Lee Martinez

3 out of 5 stars
A tale of vengeance, true love, and cannibalism.

Published May 1st 2007 by Tor Books
ISBN
0765315483 (ISBN13:
Lauren Giova
Sep 14, 2007 Lauren Giova rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are fans of Terry Pratchett, i guess.
When i read the back of this book i thought it would be more like the light, yet in-depth, humorous novels of Terry Pratchett. I found i was wrong. I didn't even chuckle. Although the storytelling was certainly more on the light side and i don't mean that as a compliment. I had no feelings for any of the characters whatsoever. Most of the time i was skimming over everything just trying to find a point where i would be interested.
I believe the author should have built up her characters better. I
Nyssa
Dreadfully delightful, A Nameless Witch lives up to its tag: "A tale of vengeance, true love, and cannibalism.".

Martinez wrote a great cast of characters: The Witch (with the Unspoken Name), her familiar - the demon duck - Newt, Gwurm the Troll, Wyst of the West the (dark skinned) White Knight and the witch's broom..Penelope; all of whom embark on an appallingly awesome adventure together, for slightly different reasons.
Thier quest, like this story, was both horrendously hilarious and gruesome
Jake
The only reason this book didn't get a one rating is because the Witches familiar is a demon duck.

I found this to be a boring sketch of an idea rather than a story. Martinez was trying to say something about the nature of belief and reality in the form of a somewhat spoofy fairy tale and he just simply fails miserably. Gil's All-Fright Diner succeeds for me because it a more fleshed out setting and a coherent story that develops characters you care about. Nameless Witch does none of these thing
April
I loved this book. It was hilarious. If you're looking for something weird and quirky to read, I highly recommend this book.
Valentin Mihov
Jan 24, 2015 Valentin Mihov marked it as just-have-it  ·  review of another edition
EDITORIAL REVIEW:

A tale of vengeance, true love, and cannibalism

Being born undead can have its disadvantages, such as eternal youth and flawless beauty ---things most unsuitable for a witch. Hiding behind the guise of a grimy old crone, the witch is content living outside Fort Stalwart with her unlikely band of allies: a troll named Gwurm, an enchanted broom, and a demonic duck named Newt. She leads a simple life filled with spells, potions, and the occasional curse.

So when a White Knight arrive
Fangs for the Fantasy
Imagine if you will a nameless witch cursed with beauty, the inability to die and a hunger for flesh. Such a life would not be an easy one and indeed, for our nameless witch, it means a tortured childhood filled with little but neglect until she is found by her mentor. Time passes as it does and our witch wakes to discover that today is the day her mentor is going to die. The witch now has a choice to make, she can seek revenge for the one person she ever loved, in the process taking on a quest ...more
Mindy
Oct 17, 2008 Mindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mindy by: Walter Briggs
I loved this book. It makes me want to find other books by the same author. The witch was good The interactions between characters was the best part. You'll love the demon duck if you read it!
Julieasmith
This reminds me of the Piers Anthony series "Xanth". Good fun- maybe good triumphs- I will have to finish and report back
Angela
Mar 04, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shawn, Marci
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This was neat--an interesting take on witchcraft and being cursed!
Zara KillingRomance1112
Leseeindruck

Es ist ein sehr skurieles Buch, dass sich auch auf diese Eigenschaft stützt. Es spaart an erzählerischen Elementen. Ich habe ein paar mal auf Grund des Skurielen in mich hineingekichert, aber weitausweniger als angenommen. Das Buch um, die Hexe auf ihrer Reise zur Selbstfindung, lies sich sehr schnell lesen. Es ist Lektüre zum Entspannen.

Drei Gründe warum du dieses Buch lesen wolltest
- du magst das Hexenhandwerk und möchtest ein bisschen was darüber erfahren
- du magst Bücher, die sic
Jacki
Born with the curse of immortality and overwhelming beauty, a young girl is saved from her family's cellar by Ghastly Edna and finds herself trained as a witch. When tragedy strikes, she sets off with her broom and half-demon duck to seek vengence.

Hiding behind her ghastly disguise, she finds comfort and companionship with her familiars and a troll until the White Knight makes an entrance. Now carnal desires battle her cannibalistic appetite, and all while she must save the world.

Like other boo
Amanda
The Nameless Witch is a quirky, comic, fantasy about a witch cursed with eternal beauty and a cannibalistic appetite who undertakes a quest to destroy an evil sorcerer and save a town. This light-hearted tale is thoroughly enjoyable with an amusing cast of characters including Newt, a wisecracking demon duck familiar with killer instincts, a troll named Gwurm with interchangeable body parts, Wyst of the West, a White Knight sworn to a vow of chastity, and Penelope the animated broom.

This clever
Horizon
Wow, it's almost like Martinez is a pseudonym for Terry Pratchett. This book would fit in just fine with Discworld. It is in a similar vein as the 'Wee Free Men' books by Pratchett that I liked so much. Quite enjoyable. I liked "In the Company of Ogres" better then "Gil's All Fright Diner", and this one is more in line with 'Ogres'. Good fun!- Susan

Fans of Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt must read A Lee Martinez. I've read other books by Martinez, and enjoyed them thoroughly, but this one takes the
Daníel Freyr Jónsson
A. Lee Martinez doesn't fail to entertain. A Nameless Witch is a very clever book that begins in a traditional fairy-story way but then goes off in unexpected directions.
The nameless witch herself is an interesting character that learns to live with her curse without making to much a fuss about it. On her own she is however not a well fleshed out enough character to support a whole novel. Fortunately her companions, the demon duck Newt, Gwurm the Troll and Penelope the animated broom, more than
Michelle
This novel is about a family whose cursed by a dark wizard. His name is lost in history so the main protagonist called him "Nasty Larry."Her great- great-great grandfather slew Nasty Larry. Before he died, he pronounced a cursed that the sixth child for every generation will be born undead and hates the light.This curse could be prevented but the girl's parents decided to see if this curse is real or not. They had their sixth child, a girl.
The girl was not popular among the suitors so she was
  • Digger, Volume Five
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Spera Volume 1
  • The Sheriff of Yrnameer
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)
  • Hitchers
  • Over The Wall
  • Act of Will
  • Husbands
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1)
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volume 2: Wanderlust Kings
  • Infamous
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy
  • My Faith in Frankie
A. Lee Martinez was born in El Paso, Texas. At the age of eighteen, for no apparent reason, he started writing novels. Thirteen short years (and a little over a dozen manuscripts) later, his first novel, Gil's All Fright Diner, was published. His hobbies include juggling, games of all sorts, and astral projecting. Also, he likes to sing along with the radio when he's in the car by himself.
More about A. Lee Martinez...
Gil's All Fright Diner Monster Divine Misfortune In the Company of Ogres The Automatic Detective

“Terrible errors are rarely made all at once. Usually they are performed one small misstep at a time.” 18 likes
“Death should take more care with his paperwork.” 9 likes