Start by marking “The Finishing School” as Want to Read:
The Finishing School

The Finishing School (Melanie Vargas #2)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
The Finishing School, Michele Martinez's second novel featuring sexy federal prosecutor Melanie Vargas (and sequel to 2005's Most Wanted), finds the soon-to-be single mother tackling her most perilous case to date.

After two students at an exclusive finishing school are found dead from heroin overdoses in a posh Park Avenue apartment -- one was
Published January 30th 2007 by Harper (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Finishing School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finishing School

Marca
The book started with an interesting premise: two super-rich teen girls from an exclusive finishing school are found dead, presumably of heroin overdoses. A third girl, not rich, is missing. NY federal prosecutor Melanie Vargas is assigned the case by her boss from hell. It goes south from there. Melanie acts like a high school student herself. She has the hots for FBI agent Dan O’Reilly and their verbal exchanges sound like something from a teen soap. Melanie continually does stupid stuff, putt ...more
Jaime
Wow. I thought this was really great! I picked it up not realizing it was actually the second book in a series, but I don’t think it mattered. There were a few references to book 1, but this stood pretty well on it’s own. I liked Melanie a lot… She’s a smart, sassy prosecutor, but she’s not full of herself and knows she makes some stupid decisions. She felt like a fresh character to me, not the same old strong female lead. Dan is a little on the cheesy side, but I liked the two of them together. ...more
Jackie
It’s 2 a.m. on a cold winter morning, the week before Christmas and you’re called to a crime scene on Park Avenue. Two young women, both students at an exclusive Upper East Side School are found dead under bizarre circumstances. You’ve got to leave your 1-year daughter with your philandering ex-husband while you go to investigate. And your tyrannical boss is breathing down your neck for answers. Such is the life of Melanie Vargas, federal prosecutor.

At first it appears that Whitney Seward and B
Marjorie
it wrapped up nicely
a book on CD, and a long car trip... awesome
Jeanette
Very well developed storyline! I didn't figure out the final antagonist until the last few chapters. Emjoyed how the story leads the reader into thinking the real reason for the initial crime is one thing which seems so unrelated to the truth. Fast-paced and so interesting that you can't put it down until you're finished. Read it in a few hours. Will read more of Martinez's books, this was my second.
Lourdes
It felt like what it is…a book by a first time writer. The story is okay but too many aspects of it seemed amateur and predictable. It was not a horrible read but I gained nothing from reading it either. I could have lived it without it.
Patty
Teamed with FBI agent Dan O’Reilly, prosecutor Melanie Vargas embarks on a wild chase that leads her from New York’s elite private schools to the darkest recesses of the city’s nightlife.

#2 The Finishing School
Harriet
This book had a lot of action and moved at a brisk pace. There were many subplots going at the same time. I found some of the story to be very far-fetched. But I still enjoyed it and stayed with it until I finished it.
Yolanda
A solid book two of the series. Melanie continues to be strong, with relatable flaws to the average person. There is enough action and detail without being too graphic.
Kathy Hartman
I truly wanted to love this book because it was written by a work colleague - a great person. However, it just wasn't there.
Melissa Vicente
High paced and action packed. An easy read that will have you flipping through pages and mentally chasing bad guys. Recommended.
Lauren Gommert
Decent plot but not a very complex read. A good book if you're just in the mood for a mystery with a lady cop as the heroine.
Shirley
Melanie Vargas has to be worst mother in the world. nonchalant. also the lamest dialog ever
Another excellent entry in the Melanie Vargas series! Can't wait to read more!
Alma Garcia
Ha! Things are not always what they may seem like.
Anna Jackson
Great book and on to the next in the series!!
Pat
Another great entry in the series
Rhonda McKnight
Sep 11, 2007 Rhonda McKnight rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers of suspense
Fabulous debut.
Sandy Reed
Sandy Reed marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
  • Spitfire
  • The Disappearance of Irene Dos Santos
  • Life Over Easy
  • Lost in the Light
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • The Edge of Justice
  • Showbiz, A Novel
  • The Fallen
  • Try to Remember
  • Waking Up in the Land of Glitter: A Crafty Chica Novel
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • Living the Vida Lola (Lola Cruz Mystery, #1)
  • Oblivion
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Gifted Gabaldón Sisters
  • The Last To Know
  • Deadly Kisses (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #8)
132035
Michele Martinez is an author and a former federal prosecutor in New York City.
More about Michele Martinez...

Melanie Vargas (4 books)
  • Most Wanted
  • Cover-up
  • Notorious
Most Wanted Cover-up Notorious Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Aurora Leigh: A Reading Guide Cover-Up