Start by marking “The Finishing School” as Want to Read:
The Finishing School

The Finishing School (Melanie Vargas #2)

The Barnes & Noble Review
The Finishing School, Michele Martinez's second novel featuring sexy federal prosecutor Melanie Vargas (and sequel to 2005's Most Wanted), finds the soon-to-be single mother tackling her most perilous case to date.

After two students at an exclusive finishing school are found dead from heroin overdoses in a posh Park Avenue apartment -- one was
Published January 30th 2007 by Harper (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Finishing School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finishing School

Jul 24, 2015 Marca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started with an interesting premise: two super-rich teen girls from an exclusive finishing school are found dead, presumably of heroin overdoses. A third girl, not rich, is missing. NY federal prosecutor Melanie Vargas is assigned the case by her boss from hell. It goes south from there. Melanie acts like a high school student herself. She has the hots for FBI agent Dan O’Reilly and their verbal exchanges sound like something from a teen soap. Melanie continually does stupid stuff, putt ...more
Jul 11, 2016 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, general_mystery
Wow. I thought this was really great! I picked it up not realizing it was actually the second book in a series, but I don’t think it mattered. There were a few references to book 1, but this stood pretty well on it’s own. I liked Melanie a lot… She’s a smart, sassy prosecutor, but she’s not full of herself and knows she makes some stupid decisions. She felt like a fresh character to me, not the same old strong female lead. Dan is a little on the cheesy side, but I liked the two of them together. ...more
Feb 16, 2014 Jackie rated it it was ok
It’s 2 a.m. on a cold winter morning, the week before Christmas and you’re called to a crime scene on Park Avenue. Two young women, both students at an exclusive Upper East Side School are found dead under bizarre circumstances. You’ve got to leave your 1-year daughter with your philandering ex-husband while you go to investigate. And your tyrannical boss is breathing down your neck for answers. Such is the life of Melanie Vargas, federal prosecutor.

At first it appears that Whitney Seward and B
Oct 19, 2015 Marianne rated it liked it
New author for me. Good drama, mystery, and detective work, but a little too unrealistic to be believable.
Jul 03, 2015 Marjorie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
it wrapped up nicely
a book on CD, and a long car trip... awesome
Jun 15, 2013 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well developed storyline! I didn't figure out the final antagonist until the last few chapters. Emjoyed how the story leads the reader into thinking the real reason for the initial crime is one thing which seems so unrelated to the truth. Fast-paced and so interesting that you can't put it down until you're finished. Read it in a few hours. Will read more of Martinez's books, this was my second.
Jun 23, 2009 Lourdes rated it it was ok
It felt like what it is…a book by a first time writer. The story is okay but too many aspects of it seemed amateur and predictable. It was not a horrible read but I gained nothing from reading it either. I could have lived it without it.
Jul 09, 2008 Patty rated it really liked it
Teamed with FBI agent Dan O’Reilly, prosecutor Melanie Vargas embarks on a wild chase that leads her from New York’s elite private schools to the darkest recesses of the city’s nightlife.

#2 The Finishing School
Oct 15, 2011 Harriet rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of action and moved at a brisk pace. There were many subplots going at the same time. I found some of the story to be very far-fetched. But I still enjoyed it and stayed with it until I finished it.
Mar 07, 2013 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid book two of the series. Melanie continues to be strong, with relatable flaws to the average person. There is enough action and detail without being too graphic.
Kathy Hartman
Apr 10, 2011 Kathy Hartman rated it it was ok
I truly wanted to love this book because it was written by a work colleague - a great person. However, it just wasn't there.
Melissa Vicente
Dec 17, 2013 Melissa Vicente rated it really liked it
High paced and action packed. An easy read that will have you flipping through pages and mentally chasing bad guys. Recommended.
Lauren Gommert
Jul 29, 2011 Lauren Gommert rated it liked it
Decent plot but not a very complex read. A good book if you're just in the mood for a mystery with a lady cop as the heroine.
Apr 30, 2015 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Melanie Vargas has to be worst mother in the world. nonchalant. also the lamest dialog ever
Sep 16, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry in the Melanie Vargas series! Can't wait to read more!
Alma Garcia
Ha! Things are not always what they may seem like.
Anna Jackson
Jun 14, 2012 Anna Jackson rated it really liked it
Great book and on to the next in the series!!
Oct 01, 2008 Pat rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the series
Rhonda McKnight
Sep 11, 2007 Rhonda McKnight rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of suspense
Fabulous debut.
Rod Zemke
Aug 05, 2010 Rod Zemke rated it liked it
JoAnna marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Anthony Colozza
Anthony Colozza rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Kim Oppliger
Kim Oppliger rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2016
Thelinda rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Alexis rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Allie rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Jean Holland
Jean Holland rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • The Disappearance of Irene Dos Santos
  • Spitfire
  • Life Over Easy
  • Friday Night Chicas: Sexy Stories from La Noche
  • A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3)
  • The Edge of Justice
  • Showbiz, A Novel
  • The Fallen
  • Try to Remember
  • Living the Vida Lola (Lola Cruz Mystery, #1)
  • The Gifted Gabaldón Sisters
  • Waking Up in the Land of Glitter: A Crafty Chica Novel
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Deadly Kisses (Francesca Cahill Deadly, #8)
  • Oblivion
  • The Darkness Gathers (Lydia Strong, #2)
  • The Last To Know
  • Tip O'Neill and the Democratic Century
Michele Martinez is an author and a former federal prosecutor in New York City.
More about Michele Martinez...

Melanie Vargas (4 books)